PDA

View Full Version : Making Travel Interesting [4E]

roulette
2010-12-04, 12:48 PM
So, outside of random encounters, is there any way to make traveling across a large distance seem interesting? I want my players to get a sense of how big the world is, but I feel like just adding encounters will slow things down

Galdor Miriel
2010-12-04, 01:01 PM
Make it a skill challenge that effects their resources upon arrival and might lead to encounters o the way, and use description, encourage them to use rituals to aid in the journey and reward efforts that are uesful by giving bonuses on the skill challenge. But do not make it so complex it takes too long!

Skill challenges and rituals handed right are just great.

Ozreth
2010-12-04, 01:59 PM
While 4e dosen't have as much crunch for things like travel, weather, fatigue, natural disasters etc as 3.5, you can always improv these things.

Throw storms at them, make them seek and/or build shelter. While hunting for logs to build a fire they notice something creeping around in the woods, but don't let it attack. This way they will be on guard and afraid and be that much more relieved to get out in the morning.

When they get to a crossroads let them encounter some sort of person/animal/tribe etc that is unique to that area, but let them be friendly.

For example: If they are in a region that is known for its vast centaur population, have them notice a small band of centaur walking down the road. They meet up, the centaur introduce themselves, tell a bit about the area, offer some food and wish they travellers well on their journey. The party will probably think this is part of the big plot, but don't let it be. They carry on and thats that, but you just 1) made their travel a bit more interesting and 2) richened the lore of your world and the knowledge of the players.

WitchSlayer
2010-12-04, 07:17 PM
Skill challenges! Hiding from storms using various skills, if they fail, make them lose some healing surges or something else.

AnswersQuestion
2010-12-04, 07:31 PM
So, outside of random encounters, is there any way to make traveling across a large distance seem interesting? I want my players to get a sense of how big the world is, but I feel like just adding encounters will slow things down

Tolkien was very keen on landscape descriptions. Check his stuff if you want ideas on how to describe impressive landscapes.

Incanur
2010-12-04, 07:47 PM
One of the things I'm enjoying about preparing a 3.5 campaign that starts at level 5 is overland travel. Weather and terrain actually matter. Much past level 9 and that disappears. This should a give PCs with wilderness skills a chance to shine. Do similar skills exist in 4e?

Aron Times
2010-12-04, 07:53 PM
Nature is Knowledge: Nature, Survival, and Wild Empathy combined, but for the surface.

Dungeoneering is basically Nature for underground use.