PDA

View Full Version : Trapped in a Dungeon

Devmaar
2010-12-04, 02:12 PM
You wake up in a dungeon.

You are chained to a wall. There a four others bound alongside you. There is nothing else in the bare, stone room but a wizened gnome bent over a workbench. You don't know how you got here, or who these other people are.

What do you do?

You are bound in metal chains. The room is fully lit. The gnome is facing away from you and wearing a floor-length cloth jacket. You cannot move or cast spells with somatic components (or similar things).

Mishtai is in Daeva form.

Norn-Eater
2010-12-04, 03:13 PM
Eustace slowly comes to, drowsily confused by the aching feeling of bindings on his limbs. Opening his eyes halfway, he turns his head taking in the room.

<OOC: What does everyone look like?>

As his mind begins to process what his eyes are telling him, the mage is thrust into consciousness, brain whirring with thoughts of escape.

Testing his manacles, he realizes that casting while so bound would be impossible, not that he had anything prepared to cast.

Deciding prudence to be the best course of action, Eustace begins quietly memorizing spells from the tattoos which wind across his exposed arms and torso.

FlamingScales
2010-12-04, 03:21 PM
<My dracotaur sheet has my picture on it. Just take off the armor and the spear, since we have no equipment at the moment>

A moving character alerts Ysorgoss that he is not alone. He looks around more, keen eyes prying the cell as he wonders what unfortunate meal choice brought him here. Attempting to reach for his trusty spear, he realizes that he is chained in four places. His arms are behind him, shackled to the wall by a long chain, and his two hind-most legs are shackled to the wall as well. Pawing at the air with his front legs, he begins screeching in agony as he tries to pull the shackles from the walls in vain.

Devmaar
2010-12-04, 03:28 PM
You are positioned along the wall thusly:

|1__2__3__4__5|

1: A tall, winged figure. Your typical angel
2: A human, normal looking save for the number of tattoos across his body and face
3: Another human, unremarkable appearance
4: A massive, heavily muscled orc. Covered in scars and tattoos, his right eye has been replaced by a gemstone
5: This (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dx0616fc_savage_dracotaur.jpg)

If you better descriptions of your characters let me know, ths is just so you can see what's going on.

Shock4484
2010-12-04, 03:53 PM
Thokk is aroused by the screeches of the Dracotaur... As begins to regain consciousness Thokks fist thoughts are of the hideous noise but as he attempts to rub the grogginess from his face he realizes his hands are bound to the wall. Thokk instantly becomes alert and peers around the room in observation of his surroundings.

Seeing only the Gnome (free) in the room and no other apparent threats Thokk thrust his body forward, planting his feet firmly against the wall behind him, and attempts to pull his hands free from the chains binding him. All the time peering avidly toward the gnome with hatred emitting from his good eye.

Strength Check:
[roll0]

Vladislav
2010-12-04, 04:56 PM
Terebus, tall, dark and handsome as always, awakens from a nightmare filled with writhing, screeching demonic shapes into ... What is this? Where am I? Why are those manacles cutting into my wrists?

Ah, seems like his comeuppance for the pact he made for his powers is finally due. Although it's strange to see so many others shacked next to him. Wonder what their sins are. Or is it still the real world after all?

He then notices the gnome at the workbench. Ah, here's the captor, flesh, blood and bones. Time to make him pay. I bet he handled me with those greasy, grubby paws when I was unconscious. All those who touch me must pay. He tries to wiggle his hand free from the manacles ...

[roll0] Escape artist

Terebus tries to extend his hand to summon forth a bolt of demonic energy to snuff the gnome's life, but alas, the manacles won't move.

[OOC: or do they? If I have my hand free, I'll still talk to him, but will have an Eldritch blast as a ready action]

Time to solve it in another way, then. He can be nice too, when the situation requires.

Master Gnome! It seems there was a mistake here, whatever crimes I'm accused of, I assure you I had nothing to do with. If you could just loosen my bonds for a moment, perhaps we could reach an agreement?

Shock4484
2010-12-04, 05:24 PM
As he recovers from the first attempt to free his hands he prepares himself for another attempt.

Almost immediately after the Humans attempt to communicate… with the gnome Thokk utters in a brisk deep voice ”Better yet... why don’t you free my hands, morsel, so I can tear that little head of yours off and use it as a decoration on the hilt of my axe!!”

Devmaar
2010-12-04, 09:07 PM
The gnome turns, smiles, and speaks:
Ah, you're awake. Good good. I do hope you enjoy your stay here. It should be... interesting.

With that the gnome disappears. A moment later, your chains seem to melt and the resulting liquid sinks into the stone floor.

The are two doors leaving this room, one to the left, one to the right, as well as the workbench in the middle.

Vladislav
2010-12-04, 09:27 PM
Terebus examines the surrounding riff-raff crowd.

Well, since we seem to be in it together, an introduction seems in order. I am Terebus Thomm, a master of Defense against the Arcane. Many a mage have I bested in single, and sometimes group combat.

After the round of introduction seems to be over, Terebus leans over the workbench, mumbling something to himself. Detect magic

Norn-Eater
2010-12-04, 09:36 PM
Eustace continues to prepare his spells, pausing to examine his bruises and brush his long black hair out of his eyes when the chains disappear.

Suddenly aware that the others are speaking to him, he rattles off a short introduction.

Well, my name is Eustace Goodkind, Circle-Summoner. Once I have fully readied myself, we should be able to make our escape from here relatively easily.

On a related manner, there wouldn't happen to be a mirror among our captor's effects.

Shock4484
2010-12-04, 09:47 PM
Once Thokk's Hands are free his next priority is a weapon... He looks around the room with intent of finding anything (pipe, table leg, large bone, brick, anything) that he can use as a weapon... He starts his search even before introductions....

Strength check if needed:
[roll0]

FlamingScales
2010-12-04, 10:15 PM
Fallin forward after the disappearance of the chains, Ysorgoss regains his balance quickly. Hissing in anger at the disappearing gnome, he listens to the others introduce themselves.

Thumping his chest scales with his left hand, he introduces himself in a hissing voice, You may call me Ysorgoss, humanoidss. Whether or not I trusst you, I do not know. But for now, it would seem I hasss no choissse.

Turning his attention away from the others, he starts to search the room for anything that can be used as an improvised weapon. If nothing is found, he will attempt to break the desk in order to use a leg as an improvised club.

Search: [roll0]
If necessary; Strength check to desk: [roll1]

Devmaar
2010-12-05, 07:51 AM
On the desk are a few scattered items that look like someone has been building something clockwork.
Terebus: The items on the desk are not magical but the desk itself is.
The room is otherwise empty.

Vladislav
2010-12-05, 08:48 AM
Terebus gets very interested in the desk. Let's see if I can glean more by concentrating...

[roll0] spellcraft

Devmaar
2010-12-05, 09:00 AM
Terebus:
The desk has a strong aura but you are unable to learn anything else.

FlamingScales
2010-12-05, 12:06 PM
Hissing at the futility of his search, Ysorgoss changes his focus towards the two doors which offer a way out. He attempts to examine them for any distinguishing marks.

Search: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

Devmaar
2010-12-05, 12:34 PM
Simple wooden doors in simple wooden frames.

One has a simple wooden handle, the other has a handle ornately carved from bronze and set with gemstones.

Tacitus
2010-12-05, 10:28 PM
Mishtai

It is not until the manacles fade that the celestial truly regains full consciousness, just as his head crashes into the floor. His wings twitch fitfully though his chest swells and recedes with calm breaths for several moments before the clearest crystal blue eyes snap open. His head is bald and skin a tanned bronze with a faint hint of gold and copper around his heavy hands that look as though they should be holding a massive weapon of some sort. With slow, deliberate movements he slowly begins to rise from the ground, pushing himself to a sitting position with his lithe and well built arms. He sits back and merely watches the others, wings folded behind him. When he speaks his voice is heavenly, as it should be, and carries the accents and echoes of many languages though the core is the common tongue, "They have called me Mishtai, the First." He slowly rises to his feet, strong wings pushing against the stone floor to lift his weight as he rums each wrist in turn, "We have no doubt been left to hang for some time, but where is here?"

Norn-Eater
2010-12-06, 08:02 AM
Well, that seems to be the proverbial 'catch' as it were; as well as it can be determined, none of us have any knowledge of where we are, how we came to be here, and how long that process took.

As you seem to have taken your captivity rather poorly, I will repeat my greetings; I am Eustace Goodkind, Circle Summoner, though unfortunately I cannot claim any credit in your presence here.

That would appear to be the work of a somewhat sinister Gnome, who has only just recently departed after having observed our awakenings.

Knowledge (the Planes) on Mishtai [roll0]

Eustace continues speaking, but in Celestial now

Also, I am not sure we are in the most wholesome company; the scaled one and the orc have displayed some signs of aggression, though not entirely unwarranted, and the other human has voiced a passion for destroying mages like myself.

It will likely be an hour longer until I have fully prepared those spells which are tattooed into my skin, and I would appreciate a friend among our companions.

Shock4484
2010-12-06, 11:54 AM
"You can call me Thokk... The Conqueror... whichever you perfer..." he says in common "E an freimjhy, umteh e femj tlat Gmoni... tlim e wehh rep lez liaj fron lez zlouhjirz." he utters in orcish after having no luck in finding a weapon. He starts making his way toward the door with the simple handle.

Translation for DM and others that speak Orcish:
I am friendly, until i find that Gnome... then i will rip his head from his shoulders.

Vladislav
2010-12-06, 12:00 PM
Wait, before we go anywhere, I think I discovered an aura here...

Terebus gives the desk a cursory search, knocking on the wood, peeking around and under it.

Search [roll0]

If he doesn't find anything interesting in the desk, and no one else wants to give it a go Voracious Dispelling on the desk [roll1] out of sheer spite

Tacitus
2010-12-06, 10:24 PM
Mishtai

The daeva nods to Eustace, "Well met, Sir Goodkind. Ah, Thokk, was it? You may want to hold off from grabbing that doorhandle, unless we've no one that can detect the presence of traps and the like. If we were bound here then there is no reason not to expect the door to be warded in some manner." He then replies to Eustace in celestial, pausing to smirk at one point.

Norn and Celestial Speakers:
The daeva continues in celestial, "<Not that I would particularly mind if an orc with the title of The Conqueror got himself turned to dust in the wind by doing something stupid.>" He smirks for a moment before continuing, "<Though such thoughts are not becoming of my station. I cannot make promises, but I will do what I can to keep bloodshed between us and these impromptu allies to a minimum.>"

Norn Only:
Mishtai is indeed an angel of some minor power, but the celestial power granted to such creatures is missing from him and he is thusly incomplete. In fact, it would seem that he was not actually created by a deity by any means but was once a human man and is pushing beyond the limits of his mortal form to become something much, much greater. One would surmise that his shell is a reflection of his soul and therefore he is a good man and that is why he has taken on a celestial aspect. If he were a lesser man growing in the same manner he would no doubt be evolving into a fiend of some sort.

Shock4484
2010-12-07, 05:36 AM
As the being suggest Thokk pauses in his route to the door... the thought runs through his head to continue on as if he never heard the being (Mishtai) speak, if for no other reason but to show his dominance, up front. However, as he pauses Thokk considers his lack of knowledge in the arts of magic. Then reinforces his choice not to proceed due to the fact he has no weapon to defend himself yet. The orc grunts and turns toward Mishtai... then crosses his arms as if in waiting.

FlamingScales
2010-12-07, 08:41 PM
Looking over to the others, Ysorgoss hisses out a quick rebuke, "Ssilensse! I'm trying to lisssten through the door! Maybe then we can continue on our essscape." Pressing his head against both doors, he tries to hear if anything is moving behind the doors.

Listen: [roll0]

Devmaar
2010-12-08, 04:42 PM
Terebus finds nothing but Ysorgoss can hear a soft clanking, as if someone is trying to move quietly in heavy armour.

FlamingScales
2010-12-08, 05:53 PM
<Which door was the noise behind?>

It would ssseem that we are not alone. If you all are quite finishhhed, it would seem that we may have company sssoon. And without weapons, it would be foolisshh to try to take whatever it may be without a team effort.

As he formulates a plan, he clicks his long fingernails against each other, trying to think through a process. It would seem he is arguing with himself.

It would ssseem that there is something in heavy armor behind the door, which would make it wissse to have our friendsss the sssspellcassstersss help usss.

Help usss? We can do it ourssselvesss, we are sssstrong enough to take down anything that getsss in our way.

No, while we are sstrong, we sstill have no weaponsss. It would be wisssse to ssseek help here. It makesss the mosst sssenssse for the orc and me to open the door and prepare to fight, while the sspellcassterss prepare something in case the thing beyond the door isss not friendly...

All in favor?

Vladislav
2010-12-08, 05:57 PM
Terebus kicks the table in frustration one last time before leaving it alone.

Someone in heavy armor, you say? Let's see how much help his armor will be against this.

He raises his hand to his face smiling at the bolts of dark energy crackling between his fingers.

Devmaar
2010-12-08, 06:05 PM
The noise was behind the door with the simple handle

Norn-Eater
2010-12-08, 07:25 PM
Eustace stands up in alarm.

"but...my spells....no time to prepare...."

Looking around, he sees the others are most likely capable fighters in their own rights.

In fact, a group this varied might as well be one of his summons anyway...

Brimming with confidence, he adopts a harsh tone of authority.

"Never-mind."

"Ysorgoss, stand back a few feet if you can, see if you can't use your reach to your advantage if they try to charge you."

"You, Terebus, be ready to fire once the door comes down, and stand behind the reptile; they might move to strike you first after you blast them."

"Conquerer? Mishtai? You seem to be skilled combatants, feel free to move about, but try to hem them into the front of the room as it were."

We wouldn't want them to flank us."

OOC: Yeah, he's a tad arrogant, but it comes with the territory. Still not the worst tactical advice.

Ysorgoss does have a 10' reach right?

Devmaar
2010-12-08, 07:29 PM
Ysorgoss does have a 10' reach right?[/I]

No.
whitetext

Tacitus
2010-12-08, 07:32 PM
Mishtai

With a smile he places his hand on Eustace's shoulder and the man vanishes from sight, a brief whisper in Celestial, "<Stay back, friend. Your tactical advice is useful only so long as you live to give it.>" Thereafter he moves towards the door, hands clasped behind his back, and waits for the fun to begin.

1 use of the 5/day Insivibility SLA on Eustace Goodkind.

Wait in front of the door with all my wonderful reach and natural slam attacks. If there are no DM based objections I'll be fluffing his slams as any body part, in this combat likely his feet.

Yso may not, but Mishtai does indeed have Reach as a Large (Tall) creature.

Shock4484
2010-12-09, 04:56 AM
"Conquerer? Mishtai? You seem to be skilled combatants, feel free to move about, but try to hem them into the front of the room as it were."

As the tattooed human goes through his list of orders for each of the members of the party frustration grows within Thokk. As Eustace gets to Thokk in his list of orders, Thokk erupts into laughter and exclaims "I'm glad I have your permission to do as I please...Human!!!"

Thokk cracks his knuckles and balls each hand into a rock solid fist. He readies himself in front of the door ready to attack anything that enters.

OOC:
does the door open into the room or outward?

FlamingScales
2010-12-09, 08:40 AM
"Ysorgoss, stand back a few feet if you can, see if you can't use your reach to your advantage if they try to charge you."

OOC: Ysorgoss does have a 10' reach right?

<No, I'm only Medium sized. But I do have something else which may help>

Sssoundsss reasssonable. However, let me offer my draconic abilitiesss as well while I don't have a weapon.

Walking to the part of the door that would end up swinging in <assuming it swings in> towards the adventurers, Ysorgoss fills his mouth with a hot raw phlegm, ready to spit the fiery slop in the face of whatever decided to turn the corner.

Preparing a spitfire attack for whatever turns the corner

Devmaar
2010-12-09, 11:25 AM
The door open outwards

FlamingScales
2010-12-10, 04:21 PM
The door open outwards

<I won't change my plan then>

Devmaar
2010-12-10, 04:24 PM
Several tense moments pass, but the door does not open.

Vladislav
2010-12-10, 04:25 PM
What's the matter? Are you guys too weak to open the door, do I have to shatter it to bits myself?

FlamingScales
2010-12-10, 04:27 PM
Glaring angrily at the mage for insulting his bravery, but mouth still full of flames, not allowing him to speak, Ysorgoss throws the door open, then jumps back in order to let whatever foul beast or good friend is behind the door come out.

Tacitus
2010-12-10, 04:33 PM
Mishtai

Ignoring the comment, Mishtai still stands at the ready with hands clasped behind his back. He seems no reason for hostilities unless someone assaults him or his new companions, and if an angel happens to be the first thing someone sees, well, that should certainly help reveal the moral proclivities of their nature simply by their reaction. Though Mishtai's gaze also seems to help with that.

He's got permanent detect evil and is concentrating as a free action at all times. Gaze is centered down the door and beyond, so he should have a fairly good idea of evil around and down along the hall once the intervening obstacle, aka the door, allows the detection through.

And my, my, I'm being terribly verbose today...

Devmaar
2010-12-10, 04:43 PM
As the door opens, A blast of fire shoots out towards you. Thokk and Ysorgoss take [roll0] fire damage (REF 28 for half).

Beyond the door stands a Warforged wielding a great-axe.
Mishtai:Not Evil

Tacitus
2010-12-11, 12:27 AM
If that is a spell effect (ie a spell or SLA) of level 0, 1, or 2 then my Protective Aura, which partially duplicates a Globe of Invulnerability effect, should negate it, assuming they were within 10ft of me.

Mishtai

With a raised brow the angel looks over the wisps of flame to see if they burn off in his oppressive aura of righteousness. With a smirk he regards the warforged, "Good evening, or morning or night as the case may be. We seem a touch lost, would you happen to know where we are?"

If we're running an augmented WLD I'll love you for it. If you don't know what that is, nevermind.

Diplomacy check if you need it: [roll0]

Shock4484
2010-12-11, 04:44 AM
Reflex:
[roll0]

As the fire rushes through the door and encompasses Thokk's body he lets out a barbaric roar out of pain and ensures all the flames are extinguished.

Devmaar
2010-12-11, 06:14 AM
If that is a spell effect (ie a spell or SLA) of level 0, 1, or 2 then my Protective Aura, which partially duplicates a Globe of Invulnerability effect, should negate it, assuming they were within 10ft of me. nope

Ignoring Mishtai's words, the Warforged moves towards you and swings its axe at Thokk and Ysorgoss, cutting into their flesh. (14 damage each)

FlamingScales
2010-12-11, 08:53 AM
As the door opens, A blast of fire shoots out towards you. Thokk and Ysorgoss take [roll0] fire damage (REF 28 for half).

Reflex Save [roll0]

After the flames pass, and the axe swings by as well, Ysorgoss releases his Spitfire <immediate action>, and then proceeds to attempt to grapple the Warrforged.

Thokk, Missshtai, help me get this axssse away from this blassssted Warforged before it killsss uss all with it.

Charging forward arms extended, Ysorgoss hopes to grapple with the Warforged in order to allow Thokk or Mishtai to disarm it.

Attack Roll - Spitfire: [roll1]
Initiate Grapple - [roll2]

Vladislav
2010-12-11, 11:42 AM
A feisty one, are you? Got some fight in you, tin man?

Terebus sends a bolt of dark energy into the Warforged's body, putting all his might into it.

Maximized Eldritch blast, [roll0] touch attack, 31 damage, also FOR 20 save or go blind for 1 round.
Due to Precise Shot can safely fire into a grapple.

Devmaar
2010-12-11, 06:31 PM
The Warforged squeals as the spitfire hits it, but is still able to easily throw off Ysorgoss's attempt at a grapple before Terebus's blast knocks it reeling.

Tacitus
2010-12-13, 02:03 AM
Mishtai

With hands still clasped behind his back he levels his gaze on the warforged and begins to speak in tones that reverberate around the room, "Calm yourself, friend. We mean no harm." He calmly walks around the warforged to ensure he'll be able to restrain him if need be.

Charm Monster SLA. DC 19 Will save or consider Mishtai a friend and ally for 10 hours. As my allies are currently attacking it a +5 bonus to his saving throw will be applied.

Move into a flanking position if I can, tumbling if necessary. [roll0]

FlamingScales
2010-12-14, 12:40 PM
Ysorgoss gets thrown off his balance easily by the warforged, but prepares to make yet another grapple. However, this time he bobs and weaves, hoping to make the warforged overcompensate on dodging, and hoping that he can feint into the warforged in order to disarm the robotic beast. The great-axe would provide a huge advantage in the fight..

Feint Check - [roll0]
Disarm Check - [roll1] ; [roll2]

Devmaar
2010-12-14, 12:55 PM
FlamingScales, I'm waiting for a post from Norn-Eater as his character hasn't acted in this fight yet. I've pmd him, if he doesn't respond I'll NPCify his character.

Norn-Eater
2010-12-14, 04:23 PM
<OOC: Sorry about that.>

Thankful for the invisibility Mishtai granted him, Eustace stayed still to prevent sounds of his movement from alerting the Warforged.

Surveying the battle, he tried to see what he could glean about their opponent.

Knowledge (Arcana)
[roll0]

Sense Motive
[roll1]

Devmaar
2010-12-14, 04:52 PM
Eustace:You know about the living construct subtype, as well as individual traits of the Warforged race.

Mishtai:You're sure your charm worked but it does not seem to have any effect.

As Mishtai moves into position, Ysorgoss attacks again, this time successfully ripping the enemy's axe from its hands.

Vladislav
2010-12-14, 05:03 PM
A-ha! Terebus is giddy as if it was him who wrested the axe from the enemy's hand. Surrender or die!

Ready action to fire another Blast unless he surrenders.
[roll0] touch attack, dmg [roll1], and For 20 or go blind for 1 round.

Shock4484
2010-12-16, 09:48 AM
nope

Ignoring Mishtai's words, the Warforged moves towards you and swings its axe at Thokk and Ysorgoss, cutting into their flesh. (14 damage each)

while trying to extinguish the flames on his body Thokk fails to pay attention to the events of the battle and before he realizes it he has a gushing wound from an axe blow...

Careful not to loose track of the battle again he shrugs the pain from the axe blow and moves in to plant his fists onto to the warforged's body out of sheer rage.

x2 Unarmed Attacks

Attack 1:
[roll0]
Attack 2:
[roll1]
I have no clue what damage would be but Thokk has +4 Str. Mod.

Devmaar
2010-12-16, 10:10 AM
The Warforged stumbles as Thokk's fists slam into it before it succumbs to the continuing harm of Ysorgoss's spitfire, falling to the ground.

FlamingScales
2010-12-17, 10:45 AM
Nicely done Thokk. Presuming the Warforged to be incapacitated, he turns to the other characters, resting the handle of the great-axe in front of him, holding just below the blade, the handle extending down to the floor. He is clearly relaxed, despite the urgency of the fight which preceded the occasion.

If thisss isss what liesss beyond the door, I would suggessst we take the other door.

Tacitus
2010-12-18, 03:17 AM
Mishtai

The angel looks over the warforged and sets a few glancing blows along the stone and metal of the thing's head and other built portions, intending to disorganize the bits inside. He leans down to inspect it and then turns his gaze to Terebus, "You can detect magic, yes? Might I borrow your gaze for a moment?"

A more or less standard procedure for Mishtai is to deal quite a bit of nonlethal damage to unconscious creatures, binding their lethal wounds first if necessary, so that they can be dealt with in other ways while they take the long climb back up from huge nonlethal damage totals. As far as I know living constructs aren't immune to nonlethal, and unless its fully destroyed and not just disabled I'd like to kick it around for a bit to rack up nonlethal.

Its really just a character choice thing. If someone wants to take off its head, then whatever. XD

Vladislav
2011-01-03, 03:23 PM
"You can detect magic, yes? Might I borrow your gaze for a moment?"
Terebus shrugs at this intrusion of his privacy. He's not sure how does one borrow a gaze, and would rather not find out.

Uhmm.... my gaze is my own. But I'll be sure to share any findings, after all, we're in this together.

Casts Detect Magic, Spellcraft [roll0] to identify active spells