PDA

View Full Version : External Quote

Andraste
2010-12-04, 02:15 PM
I've found that sometimes there is something in a thread that I want to quote outside of the thread (for signature purposes and such), but the thread is locked, so the quote button isn't there because it's a form of replying. Is there any way there could be a button or something that gives the text needed to quote something without going into a reply?

Temotei
2010-12-04, 02:17 PM
I've found that sometimes there is something in a thread that I want to quote outside of the thread (for signature purposes and such), but the thread is locked, so the quote button isn't there because it's a form of replying. Is there any way there could be a button or something that gives the text needed to quote something without going into a reply?

Copy the text, fill in any codes that won't be copied (bold, for example), and then click on the post number in the top right of the post. Copy the number at the end of the url address and copy it to the spot where quote numbers normally go.

I'm not sure if this will work with locked threads, but it should. I'll go hunt something down and test it.

If those are the only duties, I imagine Cobra will be happy to oblige. You won't even have to pay him! Or, like, do anything. Iust let him loose, and the hugging will happen.

Andraste
2010-12-04, 02:25 PM
Yes, I know how to do that and I've done it before, but it would be a lot easier if there was a way to just get the code needed instead. It would also be nice for people who don't know how the quote text works or how to reproduce the code inside of the post.

Jimorian
2010-12-04, 02:31 PM
One of the potential issues of that, however, is making it a bit too easy to pull quotes out of a thread that was locked for causes other than just getting too big. Generally a lock means that whatever discussion going on inside is something that should remain inside, at least for the time being.

There are of course, many legitimate reasons to pull a quote out as well, but as shown, it's not all that difficult to do in those cases.

Andraste
2010-12-04, 03:00 PM
Many locks are for being over 50 pages. Also, for example, if a mod made a ruling in a thread then locked it, it could be useful to be able to quote the ruling as reference in other threads. As for quoting things that should be left in a locked thread, someone could just as easily pull the information from that and manually quote it as they could for a legitimate reason.

Serpentine
2010-12-05, 11:40 AM
Uh... Multiquote does it.
When you use multiquote in one thread, then click "reply" in another, it will come up with a note down the bottom telling you that you have something quoted in another thread, and would you like to quote it also? Just click the appropriate link, and it'll pop up.
Oh, you're talking specifically about locked threads. No, I don't think so, and quite deliberately so too I'm sure.

Zeta Kai
2010-12-05, 02:04 PM
Many locks are for being over 50 pages. Also, for example, if a mod made a ruling in a thread then locked it, it could be useful to be able to quote the ruling as reference in other threads. As for quoting things that should be left in a locked thread, someone could just as easily pull the information from that and manually quote it as they could for a legitimate reason.

Or threadomancy; there's a LOT of thread locks in the Homebrew Forum for necromantic posts. And the source code for homebrew can be very complex. I'd like the ability to view the code after a lock, as well.

Gorgondantess
2010-12-05, 02:19 PM
Or threadomancy; there's a LOT of thread locks in the Homebrew Forum for necromantic posts. And the source code for homebrew can be very complex. I'd like the ability to view the code after a lock, as well.

I agree: I've actually run into this problem multiple times, and it's always been a thorn in my side, if not making what should be a relatively simple thing incredibly tedious and arcane.

Kallisti
2010-12-05, 03:11 PM

If this happens, you can always request the Mods unlock the thread; IIRC official policy is to be pretty forgiving with Homebrew threads. I'm not sure they'd unlock the thread if somebody who wasn't the creator asked, but I don't see why not--after all, unlocking a thread doesn't bring it back to page one (I think) and there are plenty of old homebrew threads left open.

Roland St. Jude
2010-12-05, 04:02 PM
If this happens, you can always request the Mods unlock the thread; IIRC official policy is to be pretty forgiving with Homebrew threads. I'm not sure they'd unlock the thread if somebody who wasn't the creator asked, but I don't see why not--after all, unlocking a thread doesn't bring it back to page one (I think) and there are plenty of old homebrew threads left open.

We might also just retrieve the text (with formatting), if that's all you need.

Sheriff: I leave to Rawhide the answer to the OPs original question about whether it would be possible to allow quoting a closed thread.

But as long as there are at least some threads locked for going awry, we would be unlikely to implement such a change if it allowed quoting from such threads. Which takes us then to looking into two tiers of locked threads, and at that point we're clearly into "more trouble than it's worth" territory.

I'd suggest using the tedious work-arounds, and where the formatting is important, asking a mod for help.