PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 D&D] The Warrior's Way

Scoot
2010-12-04, 04:09 PM
To put it simply, how would one go about making a character anywhere near something like Yang from The Warrior's Way?

His "powers" can be boiled down to:

- God-like reflexes. The ability to dodge a bullet fired point blank, and then cut down the man firing in the same turn.

- Mook-lawnmower. No matter how many fly at him, he seems to have the ability to hit each one at least once before they can make contact.

- Perception. Bluff does not appear to work on this man. No matter the disguise, he can usualy/always see through it.

- Aim for the sweet-spot. Like in any good action movie, his oppenents usualy don't get back up after taking a hit.

And, like any movie, he's very fast. But that can be ignored.

I realize that this is pretty much just an uber-buffed, "Movie Hero", sort of man,

but I was wondering if there were any feats/skills/classes/items that could replicate any of these things, even if not at their full level of power. (While keeping the weapon of choice as a Katana)

Iaijutsu focus and Combat Reflexes came to mind, but that's about as far as I can get.

Tvtyrant
2010-12-04, 04:17 PM
Sounds like a AoO build to me; they never hit him until he hits them and he has a good reflex save. So probably a Ranger or Swordsage with Combat Reflexes. having never watched the movie I don't know what types of weapons or techniques he uses, so all I can really offer is ranger or Swordsage.

SurlySeraph
2010-12-04, 04:47 PM
Definitely a combat reflexes build, with godly Dexterity, Martial Stance (Thicket of Blades) to make attacks of opportunity on anything that gets close by, possibly Supreme Cleave if he does lots of mook-massacring on offense as well as on defense, really high Sense Motive (url=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#inquisitor]Inquisitor[/url] is an easy way to boost it) and Spot, any of the numerous ways to do lots of damage on a hit, and any of the numerous ways to increase speed.

Decisive Strike Monk 2/ going into Fighter, Warblade, or Swordsage with a level of Crusader somewhere sounds like a good start; details would depend on his exact capabilities. Combat Reflexes, maybe Evasive Reflexes (for dodging ability), maybe Robilar's Gambit and other feats to get more AoOs, Deft Opportunist, etc.

Greenish
2010-12-04, 05:04 PM
Robilar's Gambit and high AC allows you to dodge an enemy's attack and then smash his face.

Scoot
2010-12-04, 05:50 PM
I need to get my hands on the actual mechanics, but decisive strike and Robilar's gambit look like they would work very well. Thank you. :smallsmile:

Supreme cleave looks nice as well, but the only way I'm familiar with getting this would be Frenzied Barbarian. Are there any others?

SurlySeraph
2010-12-04, 05:53 PM
Knight Protector gets Supreme Cleave, and without the clause saying that he can only make one 5-foot step per round.

Scoot
2010-12-04, 06:03 PM
Ah. And in the same book. Silly me.

Alrighty then, thank you. :smallredface:

Draz74
2010-12-04, 11:33 PM
Swordsage with some cool Setting Sun Counters and a great Sense Motive skill sounds like what I would go for.