PDA

View Full Version : Using graphing calc to roll dice?

randomhero00
2010-12-04, 05:21 PM
I've got a ti-83 plus. I figured out that RandInt(1,6,35) which means roll 35d6. But it literally gives me each rolled number (so 35 numbers between 1 and 6.) I'm trying to get it to just give me the sum. Anyone know how?

Monkooky
2010-12-04, 05:32 PM
Firstly, you could write a for loop and ask for an input for the number of iterations. This would have to be done in a program. Secondly, I'm pretty sure that Ti-83 plus comes preloaded with a dice roller.

ajkkjjk52
2010-12-04, 05:42 PM
Secondly, I'm pretty sure that Ti-83 plus comes preloaded with a dice roller.

Depends on how old it is.

I beleive you can do RandInt(1,6,35)->L1 and then Sum(L1)

herrhauptmann
2010-12-04, 05:45 PM
Forgive me, I haven't worked with the code commands in a grapher in years...

output to screen "How many dice?"
input A
output tos creen "How many facets?"
input B
0->T (store 0 in variable T)

set up a do loop. Start the counter at 1, increment by 1, until the counter is equal to A
T+ RandInt(1,B) -> T (add the dice roll to previous value of T, store new value in T)

end do loop

output to screen "Total is: ", T

randomhero00
2010-12-04, 05:49 PM
Firstly, you could write a for loop and ask for an input for the number of iterations. This would have to be done in a program. Secondly, I'm pretty sure that Ti-83 plus comes preloaded with a dice roller.

Don't know how to do the first part. Haven't heard of any dice rolling program that it comes with.

I beleive you can do RandInt(1,6,35)->L1 and then Sum(L1)

This is stupid, but where the heck is Sum? I've been looking for it because I thought of that too.

randomhero00
2010-12-04, 05:54 PM

Oh snap, I did find a dice rolling program under apps. (its been a long time since college and I've used this). Now I just gotta figure out how that works...

huh, I'm figuring out the basics. It doesn't seem to be useful for DnD tho so far....

grr I still can't get it to sum total all the rolls. It just shows me distributions.

Savannah
2010-12-04, 06:11 PM
This is stupid, but where the heck is Sum? I've been looking for it because I thought of that too.

If you haven't found it yet:
List (2nd->STAT) -> MATH -> sum

mint
2010-12-04, 06:27 PM
On my old TI-82 its under list math.

I have the exact program you quoted on my calc and it works fine.

Edit: swordsage'd

doctor_wu
2010-12-04, 06:29 PM
or you could still add them by hand. Anyway I prefer to use the random number generator to roll dice on a ti-83 plus. it can roll like 6 at a time. It does not sum the totals of the rolls. It will allow you to see all of the rolls but you still have to add it by hand.

randomhero00
2010-12-04, 06:35 PM
If you haven't found it yet:
List (2nd->STAT) -> MATH -> sum

yay, that works. Thanks.
sum(randInt(1,6,35)

or you could still add them by hand. Anyway I prefer to use the random number generator to roll dice on a ti-83 plus. it can roll like 6 at a time. It does not sum the totals of the rolls. It will allow you to see all of the rolls but you still have to add it by hand.

When you have 35 dice...it sucks to count by hand.