PDA

View Full Version : Feats for a paladin,

monkman
2010-12-04, 06:35 PM
I'm making a Fax celestis fix paladin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33551)(without the prowess)(level 13),I've made the class but i don't know what feats i should take.Could someone help me?

Greenish
2010-12-04, 06:41 PM
Full BAB, so Power Attack is no-brainer. Battle Blessing is always brilliant. Without TU, Divine and Devotion feats are less useful, so going with normal melee feats should work.

With decent charisma, you might also want to look into weaponizing your intimidate (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809.0).

Hawk7915
2010-12-04, 07:02 PM
Yeah, the typical Power Attack -> Improved Bull Rush -> Shock Trooper line is always good for a class with full BAB, and your increased spellcasting skill (and access to Rhino's Rush) makes you especially awesome. As mentioned, Battle Blessing is always made of win but is particularly great for a Fax paladin (who has waaaay more spells/day at this level than normal).

If you took the mantle to get a mount, it's pretty fearsome at 13th level. You could consider mounted combat feats (Mounted Combat -> Ride-by Attack -> Spirited Charge), which also tend to synergize pretty well with the aforementioned charging feats.

While you can no longer easily take divine feats, although they're so incredibly good it might be worth taking the Purity mantle to gain Turn Undead. Animal, Travel, Law, and Earth devotion are the best options there (you can only take two, must make sense for character, blah blah blah), while Divine Might and Divine Vigor are my favorite divine feats.

Finally, you could consider a smiter build. Taking the "Zeal" or "Mercy" mantles adds d6's of damage to your smite attacks, as would Improved Smite and/or Silver Smite. Cuthbert's Smite lets you smite Chaos as well as Evil, which opens your options. If you didn't take a mantle to beat DR, then Exalted Smite makes your weapon good-aligned during a smite which is handy. Finally, Awesome Smite gives you all sorts of, well, awesome options when you Smite and Power Attack. Extra Smiting is usually a :smallfrown: feat, but in this build it's justified to let you smite at least 1/encounter, and often two or three times.

Paladins have tons of options, just make sure that after taking the "must have" feats (Power Attack and Battle Blessing) that you specialize rather than spread your feats across several different feat paths.

Mando Knight
2010-12-04, 07:16 PM
You could also go with weaponized Diplomacy. You do have Sense Motive and Know: Nobility & Royalty as class skills, after all. (That is, if you use the standard Paladin skill list, or use the Diplomat skill set from Fax's d20r)