PDA

View Full Version : Two Weapon Fighting?

Kelb_Panthera
2010-12-04, 07:11 PM
Has anybody ever done a TWF guide? I'm already pretty proficient in the creation of combat types, in all three flavors (thf,twf, and sword and board), but I can't seem to remember seeing a guide. For that matter I don't think I've seen a guide for sword and board either. Can anybody point me to anything?

Flickerdart
2010-12-04, 07:26 PM
PersonMan has a fantastic guide to shields, which I suppose could double as a s&b guide.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-12-04, 07:33 PM
PersonMan has a fantastic guide to shields, which I suppose could double as a s&b guide.

I saw that guide, and now that you mention it, I guess it could be considered a sword and board guide of sorts.

Greenish
2010-12-04, 10:58 PM
TWF handbook:

Get extra damage from somewhere. SA is traditional, Skirmish can work, Sudden Strike is a bit meh. DFI is excellent.
Get high enough attack bonus to actually hit on those attacks. Daring Outlaw, optimized Inspire Courage, Divine Power UMD'd or not, full BAB classes, high relevant stat.
Find a way to get to range to use your full attacks. Pounce, Travel Devotion etc., you know the drill, Person_Man has the handbook.
Find a way to either get out of melee, or to survive while there. High con, AC optimization, miss chances, "Spring Attack" with Pounce + Travel Devotion, high Hide check with HiPS.
Enjoy playing the second violin to THW.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-12-04, 11:20 PM
TWF handbook:

Get extra damage from somewhere. SA is traditional, Skirmish can work, Sudden Strike is a bit meh. DFI is excellent.
Get high enough attack bonus to actually hit on those attacks. Daring Outlaw, optimized Inspire Courage, Divine Power UMD'd or not, full BAB classes, high relevant stat.
Find a way to get to range to use your full attacks. Pounce, Travel Devotion etc., you know the drill, Person_Man has the handbook.
Find a way to either get out of melee, or to survive while there. High con, AC optimization, miss chances, "Spring Attack" with Pounce + Travel Devotion, high Hide check with HiPS.
Enjoy playing the second violin to THW.

I know all this. This is the advise given every forum goer that asks anything at all about TWF. In spite of this, many player's do enjoy playing characters that make use of TWF. I was hoping someone could point me to a full guide, in the manner of the defensive fighting guide that recently appeared here, personman's guide to shields, the swift-hunter handbook, and others like these.

Greenish
2010-12-05, 10:22 AM
I was hoping someone could point me to a full guide, in the manner of the defensive fighting guide that recently appeared here, personman's guide to shields, the swift-hunter handbook, and others like these.I'm afraid you'll have to write that one yourself. Best of luck. :smallwink:

true_shinken
2010-12-05, 10:24 AM
I'm afraid you'll have to write that one yourself. Best of luck. :smallwink:

Hope you do write it, Kelb. Such a guide would be greatly welcomed.

Jukebox Hero
2010-12-05, 10:35 AM
I was under the impression that the joy in making characters was discovering the combinations on your own, and allowing your character to develop naturally.

The Glyphstone
2010-12-05, 11:42 AM
I was under the impression that the joy in making characters was discovering the combinations on your own, and allowing your character to develop naturally.

Sadly, 'developing naturally' =/= 'D&D 3.X', due the nature of levels and prerequisites. You have to plan builds out ahead of time for focus and synergy, or risk ending up utterly inadequate even at your area of specialization.

true_shinken
2010-12-05, 12:02 PM
Sadly, 'developing naturally' =/= 'D&D 3.X', due the nature of levels and prerequisites. You have to plan builds out ahead of time for focus and synergy, or risk ending up utterly inadequate even at your area of specialization.

What Glyphstone said. Also, just because you have a planned build, doesn't mean you won't change it. So you want to be a Rogue/Swashbuckler all along, but you found a copy of the Talariic codex. You might become a Suel ArcanamachWarmind and go along with it. You might as well not.
Really, it suprises me when people say 'you're planning a build, you're doing it wrong'. The only way I think someone is 'doing it wrong' is when they are not doing what they want. It's all about freedom of choice.

...I'm Chaotic Good, btw.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-12-05, 02:52 PM
I was afraid of that. To the drawing board! (right after I finish my assassin for ICO XVI)