PDA

View Full Version : TF 2 Spy in DND 3.5

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-12-04, 08:43 PM
So, a player of mine in an upcoming campaign is wanting to play, in essence,a Dead Ringer Spy from Team Fortress 2 in the game. Outside of just going Factotum with the Trickery Devotion feat to clone yourself to fake your death, I'm out of ideas.

Thus, I come to you, Playgrounders. Any more ideas than just that?

For sources, pretty much all of 3.5 is legit.

If that doens't work, he's also interested in playing a Combat Engineer, just running in, dropping a mini-turret and doing his own shtick from there.

Flickerdart
2010-12-04, 08:47 PM
Hat of Disguise would be a fine disguise kit (though you'd need an item of polymorph to take on the form of a Monstrous Spycrab). The Assassin class provides you with a save-or-die Death Attack that would work like a backstab (but it isn't very good). Assassins can also cast invisibility to emulate the invisibility watch, and the Rogue's Defensive Roll ability combined with a Quickened or Contingent Invisibility would emulate the Dead Ringer well enough. Assassins are also capable of casting disguise self, making the hat unnecessary.

Ravens_cry
2010-12-04, 08:59 PM
A special, none space taking item of invisibility? A switchblade that gives bonuses on sneak attack or Death Attack DC? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/knife-switchblade)

Flickerdart
2010-12-04, 09:03 PM
There's an Assassin's Knife in the DMG that increases Death Attack DC, yeah. However, the invisibility watch totally does take a slot on the Spy, so a ring of invisibility would work - 20k GP, infinite uses.

Crossblade
2010-12-05, 01:13 AM
Sleep with the scout's mother?

It's funny because there's a scout class in 3.5

Thiyr
2010-12-05, 01:17 AM
Sadly, my best thought for emulating the Dead ringer involves two contingent spells, or one and some form of immediate-action movement. The non-movement one (I'm sure Dim door or something like that can be filled in as needed for the movement) is mislead, which you just have react as normal to being killed while you tele and maneuver into superior position. downside, of course, is that mislead is a 6th level spell (5th bard), making it kinda not enough to base oneself around entirely, if you don't intend to start that late into the game.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-12-05, 03:20 AM
Ah, I forgot to mention, starting level is going to be 10th for these guys, but blowing 5th/6th level spells on the concept is going to be a problem.

Hat of disguise will work on the social and political angle, however.

Grynning
2010-12-05, 09:57 AM
Check out the Decoy ability on the Psychic Rogue. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) Pretty much perfect for Dead Ringer. Can get it next level if they're starting at 10. Power list can get cloud mind and other goodies to simulate invisibility, and since you're the DM you can houserule in that he could add defensive role to list of available special abilities.

This is my 4th plug for this class in the last 2 months, but it really is that awesome.

HunterOfJello
2010-12-05, 01:45 PM
A Chameleon with a Hat of Disguise is an effective normal spy. There are also wands of Swift Invisbility (Bard 1, Sorc/Wiz 2) which let you become invisbile for 1 round. For the sudden appearance of a dead person on the ground there's Silent Image Wands.

Your friend might be best reminded that d&d 3.5e is not Team Fortress 2. I understand people like making cool builds based on other games and fictional character, but some players come into the game thinking is some kind of crazy freeform GURPs game when it really isn't.