PDA

View Full Version : how to stop see invisible

awa
2010-12-04, 11:10 PM
my character makes him self invisible on a regular basis (warlock) but see invisible is popping up more and more and the campaign big bad is also a warlock and probably sees right through it.
so is their a magic item or spell somewhere that can block see invisibility

the lower level / cheaper the better

Angry Bob
2010-12-04, 11:18 PM
If the guy who's seeing invisibility has a low spot check otherwise, an insane hide check on your part is just as good.

Wizard: See Invisibility.
Rogue: Lol. +45 to hide even without invisibility. Your jugular's bleeding now.

But that could be a problem since you're a warlock. Train cross-class skill, bend over backwards for skill items?

awa
2010-12-04, 11:24 PM
im actually multiy class warlock rogue but i have no easy accesses to hide in plain sight.

Boci
2010-12-04, 11:25 PM
Decieve item and an eternal wand of invisible fog cloud?

awa
2010-12-04, 11:27 PM
invisible fog cloud?

Boci
2010-12-04, 11:28 PM
Fog cloud with the invisible spell MM atached. Makes a fog cloud that's invisible, so only those under the effects of see invisibility havre their vision hampered by it.

Angry Bob
2010-12-04, 11:33 PM
If you have feats to spare, dip Shadowdancer 1. If you have money to spare, find a 22,000 gp Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis(ToM). If you have even more money to spare or a really cool DM, acquire the Dark template, also ToM.

Emmerask
2010-12-04, 11:40 PM
Fog cloud with the invisible spell MM atached. Makes a fog cloud that's invisible, so only those under the effects of see invisibility havre their vision hampered by it.

though this has two major downsides:

1) the enemy will know something is up if a pretty obvious fog cloud is there (especially if the conditions are not that good for fog (indoors, warm summer etc)
2) you can´t have see invisibility up yourself (well you can but you won´t see good ^^)

HunterOfJello
2010-12-04, 11:41 PM
Invisible Obscuring Mist, Invisible Fog Cloud and Invisible Darkness are the best.

awa
2010-12-04, 11:42 PM
that's clever but half the party has see invisible so not practical

Tael
2010-12-04, 11:43 PM
Decieve item and an eternal wand of invisible fog cloud?

Or, you know, invisible invisibility. Why let them know you're there at all?

awa
2010-12-04, 11:44 PM
i have a feeling that wont work

Emmerask
2010-12-04, 11:51 PM
Well there is superior invisibility but it is not really a low level spell^^

then there is I think one psionics power that can implant false memories which potentially could render you invisible (ie you erase the memory of seeing you^^)

Boci
2010-12-04, 11:52 PM

Less likely to be accepted. Some DMs even have a problem with the invisible fog trick.

though this has two major downsides:

1) the enemy will know something is up if a pretty obvious fog cloud is there (especially if the conditions are not that good for fog (indoors, warm summer etc)

So? They will know somethings up if they see the three non-invisible party members.

Emmerask
2010-12-04, 11:56 PM
I don´t quite see why invisible invisibility should stop see invisibility in the first place or why it should enhance the effect of the invisibility spell...
you make something that is invisible invisible so, raw only knows one state invisible so the subject is now invisible which see invisibility pierces...

wow I used a lot of invisible/invisibility there :smallbiggrin:

So? They will know somethings up if they see the three non-invisible party members.

true, but if you want to infiltrate both are pretty much a failed attempt, though the 3 invisible but visible people can at least try to hide.
invis fog/mist etc are a very clever trick but the best use is during battles or in situations where you don´t care about alerting the enemie :smallwink:

Sindri
2010-12-05, 12:26 AM
Technically, full cover provides full concealment, which is equivalent to invisibility but nonmagical. So if there's say, a large sheet of lead between you and them, they can't see you. Try getting one of your party members to carry it for you (*Beguiling Influence* it's a magic shield, really), and then make sure that they're between you and the monsters.

Also, +1 to the invisible fog cloud. Either they can't see, or they remove their see invisibility and they can see, just not you.

Devmaar
2010-12-05, 07:03 AM
See if you can find a way to use the psionic power Cloud Mind. Makes you completely undetectable to a single target and isn't foiled by See Invisibility since you're still visible, they just can't see you.

quiet1mi
2010-12-05, 08:24 AM
hide in plain sight...

The Glyphstone
2010-12-05, 08:24 AM
Cloud Mind has Will Negates, though, and is Mind-Affecting. Invisibility doesn't do either. Plus, it's single target (for the non-Mass version), while Invisibility is global.

Fizban
2010-12-05, 08:27 AM
The point of invisible invisibility is to make guards that can see invisibility think that you're invisible when you are actually quite visible. "Ah! There's someone sneaking in invisibly!" followed by "This man is clearly drunk, for I am clearly not invisible!"

Regarding the OP: I've read that some people (including some posters on this forum) allow Nondetection and Mind Blank to stop See Invisibility and True Seeing. Their reasoning is Nondetection and Mind Blank foil spells that "detect" and "gather information" on you, respectively, and that SI and TS are both divination spells which are detecting and gathering information on you by attempting to bypass your invisibility. This is a pretty valid argument if you ask me, and if I had a player who was dependent on being invisible (like a CA Ninja), I would allow it. So, get a Nondetection cast by your Wizard or Cleric buddy and you'll have a shot at ignoring his See Invisibility. It still won't help against creatures with Blindsight, however.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-05, 08:32 AM
Technically, full cover provides full concealment, which is equivalent to invisibility but nonmagical.
Sorry, but while either cover or concealment is enough to enable a Hide check, these are different concepts. A shuttered window provides both cover and concealment. A glass window still blocks line of effect and thus provides cover, but does not provide any concealment.

Amphetryon
2010-12-05, 08:38 AM

Yo dawg, I heard you liked invisibility...

On the slightly more helpful side, combining invisibility with the Dark Stalker feat makes you pretty tough to spot if you have any ranks in Hide.

true_shinken
2010-12-05, 08:42 AM
nondetection on yourself arguably works

Hanuman
2010-12-05, 08:42 AM
Antimagic field with extraordinary spell aim, you can be invisible and they will have to resort to non magical ways to see you.

true_shinken
2010-12-05, 08:49 AM
Antimagic field with extraordinary spell aim, you can be invisible and they will have to resort to non magical ways to see you.

He is a Warlock. Staying in an antimagic field is like shooting himself in the foot.

The Glyphstone
2010-12-05, 08:54 AM
He is a Warlock. Staying in an antimagic field is like shooting himself in the foot.

And Extraordinary Spell Aim won't help either, because Antimagic Field doesn't break line of sight/effect, only cancels magical effects within its zone. If he can be Invisible, he can be See Invisibled.

Hanuman
2010-12-05, 09:00 AM
And Extraordinary Spell Aim won't help either, because Antimagic Field doesn't break line of sight/effect, only cancels magical effects within its zone. If he can be Invisible, he can be See Invisibled.
Is AMF visible/tangible ect?

The Glyphstone
2010-12-05, 09:03 AM
Is AMF visible/tangible ect?

By RAW, no.

An invisible barrier surrounds you and moves with you. The space within this barrier is impervious to most magical effects, including spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities. Likewise, it prevents the functioning of any magic items or spells within its confines.

An antimagic field suppresses any spell or magical effect used within, brought into, or cast into the area, but does not dispel it. Time spent within an antimagic field counts against the suppressed spell’s duration.

This excludes an effect such as See Invisibility vs. an Extraordinary Spell Aimed AMF, because neither the See Invis or the Invis that it Sees are actually within the AMF, and vision is not an inherently magical ability by itself.

EvilJames
2010-12-05, 09:21 AM
In a 2nd ed game I used a trick similar to the invisible fog cloud but it was an invisible illusion usually a body double of me so if they could see me while invisible they still had to figure out which one was me.

I also made a spell that I never got to use ( game ended shortly after) called illusionary illusion which made regular objects detect as illusions to the detect illusions spell and similar effects and abilities.

Elfstone
2010-12-05, 09:38 AM
Dark template gives hide in plain sight. And some nifty skill bonuses and cold resistance 10. All for +1 LA in the Tome of Magic.
Go for it.

Jack_Simth
2010-12-05, 10:52 AM
Dark template gives hide in plain sight. And some nifty skill bonuses and cold resistance 10. All for +1 LA in the Tome of Magic.
Go for it.
Try the Greater Collar of Umbral Metamorphisis....

Volthawk
2010-12-05, 12:01 PM

What about Antimagic Ray? It does require a save, though....

Boci
2010-12-05, 12:09 PM

And has a non-neglegable material component.

Incanur
2010-12-05, 01:28 PM
In FR, the feat Insidious Magic helps.

Akimu
2010-12-05, 01:44 PM
Check into Shadow Weave Magic fetas. Helps a bit vs. divinations, SR, adds some DC to your spells, makes your spells harder to dispell. Not a bad progression. I actually use the feats on a Rog/Asn.

The Glyphstone
2010-12-05, 02:08 PM

Why would you voluntarily submit to an Antimagic Ray if you're trying to be invisible? Or did you mean fire an Antimagic ray at the guy with See Invisibility?

Volthawk
2010-12-05, 02:09 PM
Why would you voluntarily submit to an Antimagic Ray if you're trying to be invisible? Or did you mean fire an Antimagic ray at the guy with See Invisibility?

The latter.

FMArthur
2010-12-05, 02:18 PM
"Hmm, looks like my See Invisibility ended prematurely. NOTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY HERE."

The OP is looking for ways to be undetectable, not just invisible.

Jack_Simth
2010-12-05, 02:24 PM
I'm fond of merging Incorporeality, a Ring of X-Ray Vision, and a way to bypass the drawback of the Ring of X-Ray Vision, myself. You're not invisible - you're underground, looking at people through solid objects. You get remarkably hard to detect, that way.

bannable
2010-12-05, 02:59 PM
I'm fond of merging Incorporeality, a Ring of X-Ray Vision, and a way to bypass the drawback of the Ring of X-Ray Vision, myself. You're not invisible - you're underground, looking at people through solid objects. You get remarkably hard to detect, that way.

Alternatively, blindsight and a burrow speed.

Psyren
2010-12-05, 03:07 PM
Craft and UMD a wand of Nondetection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/nondetection.htm)

Jack_Simth
2010-12-05, 03:08 PM
Alternatively, blindsight and a burrow speed.Doesn't work - Blindsight requires line-of-effect, which being underground denies you. Tremorsense, on the other hand, could work out....

awa
2010-12-05, 04:03 PM
does nondetection work its not like hes scrying me

Jack_Simth
2010-12-05, 04:19 PM
It's debatable. The text of the spell in question:

The warded creature or object becomes difficult to detect by divination spells such as clairaudience/clairvoyance, locate object, and detect spells. Nondetection also prevents location by such magic items as crystal balls. If a divination is attempted against the warded creature or item, the caster of the divination must succeed on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) against a DC of 11 + the caster level of the spellcaster who cast nondetection. If you cast nondetection on yourself or on an item currently in your possession, the DC is 15 + your caster level.

If cast on a creature, nondetection wards the creature’s gear as well as the creature itself. (underlining and bolding added)
Now, some DM's will take the fuzzy definition (Underlined portion) and ask themselves something along the lines of "Well, is See Invisibility / True Seeing similar in nature to those?" and give a response based on that. Others will look at the bold section, and just let it apply to nearly all divinations (an interpretation that favors the DM, as NPC's of note will usually be higher level than you are).

Psyren
2010-12-05, 04:22 PM

It's not foolproof - it will just force him to make a CL check whenever he looks at your square to see anything. But this method also doesn't require a heavy feat expenditure or dips on your part.