PDA

View Full Version : Dune

Jallorn
2010-12-04, 11:14 PM
It just occurred to me, we've had Dune references before (pretty blatant ones too), and the Empress is very large...

Anywho, I'd just like to point out potential parallels between the God-Emperor of Dune (specifically his plan to insure humanity's continued existence) and what Tarquin is doing. Basically, by being an oppressive tyrant for a few decades, he'll motivate someone (now likely Elan) to take him down. In the meantime, the people will be unified more than they were before, and the ensuing centuries will be both orderly and peaceful.

Gandariel
2010-12-05, 06:04 AM
hmm, it's a bit of a stretched link in my opinion...
the God Emperor of Dune has plans for ALL the future: he wants to make humanity go into the Golden Path (i don't know how it is called, i read it in Italian and it sounded like that).
Leto wanted to ensure a better future for humanity.

While Tarquin? he doesn't give a s**t about citizens, or humanity in general. he just wants to get his sweet spot for himself

Thrar
2010-12-05, 08:42 AM
Golden Path is indeed the correct English wording.

I agree with Gandariel; even though there is some similarity on the surface, their motives are entirely different. Tarquin does all of this for his own enjoyment, while for Leto II it is a great sacrifice.

Leto does not enjoy the life he has to live and the way he has to rule, and he feels like it's a great burden he himself has to shoulder. In my understanding, only during the time with Hwi Noree he feels like there's someone who can understand him, the gholas (and anybody else) are no more than a tool for him.

Tarquin, on the other hand, greatly enjoys what he does. He says so himself in his conversation with Elan, and you can see it in all the parties and the countless wives and other women around him. It might seem shallow, but in my impression, for him that's good enough for an enjoyable life.

Nilan8888
2010-12-07, 04:41 PM
Agreed. RedCloak if anything might be the better fit (but not really). RedCloak clearly isn't enjoying himself as much as Tarquin.

Tarquin is sort of like what Leto II might have been if his Harkonnen heritage had started asserting itself. :smallwink:

Gandariel
2010-12-08, 04:49 AM
Agreed. RedCloak if anything might be the better fit (but not really). RedCloak clearly isn't enjoying himself as much as Tarquin.

Tarquin is sort of like what Leto II might have been if his Harkonnen heritage had started asserting itself. :smallwink:

nope.
if he was a True Harkonnen he would have used his power to see the numbers of the lottery and get rich(er)

but i guess that's just not thw way fareseeing works...