PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Hacker Help

Erts
2010-12-04, 11:54 PM
Someone is hacking into my facebook, or logged on at the same time I am.
They are messaging random people, especially friends of mine who are girls, and saying explicit things, and asking them out, and the like. It is really not fun. Does anyone know how to log out of facebook remotely, or anything else to help with this situation?
GITP, any ideas?

Mr. Moon
2010-12-04, 11:56 PM
Change your password? That's usually the thing to do in this situation.

Maxios
2010-12-04, 11:57 PM
Someone is hacking into my facebook, or logged on at the same time I am.
They are messaging random people, especially friends of mine who are girls, and saying explicit things, and asking them out, and the like. It is really not fun. Does anyone know how to log out of facebook remotely, or anything else to help with this situation?
GITP, any ideas?

Change your password, or deactive your account and start a new one

^: Ninja'd over the change your password thing

Erts
2010-12-04, 11:59 PM
Change your password, or deactive your account and start a new one

^: Ninja'd over the change your password thing

But if they are already logged in, will that do anything?

Ceric
2010-12-05, 12:00 AM
Try this? (http://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-security/forget-to-log-out-help-is-on-the-way/425136200765) I haven't used it before but it looks right.

Edit: Go to your Account Settings, Account Security. It shows where you're logged in and then you can end other sessions remotely.

Lycan 01
2010-12-05, 12:10 AM
Change your password, then log out. Or delete your FB. I think you can just purge it... Save all the important stuff before you do, of course.

OR, you can try an alternate but slow way to change your password. Change your password, then log out. If that doesn't work to get rid of him, when you log back in, just say you forgot your password. It should email a new one to the address you registered your FB to.

That's what I did with my mom's. Somebody changed her password... so I just said "forgot my password" to get her a new one only she'd be able to see. We then logged in, and changed it to a new and better password. I went all "internet ninja" on that hacker. :smalltongue:

Jimorian
2010-12-05, 01:20 AM
When you log into your Facebook account, it automatically logs out any computers logged in from a different IP address. If somebody else has your password and is logging in from someplace else, you will be logged out as well, but you both can't be logged in at the same time. If that's what's happening, then somebody on YOUR computer network is doing this. (I can log onto Facebook with both my computers at home at the same time).

So yes, log in, change your password, then log out should fix it.

ETA: Your network meaning either somebody else in your house, or somebody hooking into your wifi from nearby. Make sure you've passworded your home network as well.

blackfox
2010-12-05, 02:26 AM
Alternatively, it could be a nasty script running under the guise of one of those stupid applications, because there's no guarantee that the developer won't just lie about what they've written. Get rid of all the stupid applications, all of them, and then change your password.

Eloel
2010-12-05, 02:33 AM
I'll have to chime in here to say it probably is not a hacker going into your account. Chances are, a hacker wouldn't care the slightest about your Facebook account. You probably made your password too easy, and they guessed it, or you logged onto your account on a public computer that was seeded with a keylogger. There's also the chance you sent "Facebook staff" your password after they asked for it, or you tried to login on a fake page somewhere.

But a hacker (that you personally do not know) ? Nope, he'll be off hacking a business-related website or something.

Worira
2010-12-05, 02:42 AM
I would guess, actually, that you got Firesheep'd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firesheep), although the other things mentioned are certainly possible. Anyway, if you're accessing Facebook from open wireless networks, stop doing that.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-12-05, 03:28 AM
There's also a chance you lost your smartphone recently and you were logged into facebook from it. My buddy found a phone... and went to town with the person's facebook account for random amusement. (he's not a nice guy).

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-05, 09:35 AM
I had someone hack into mine as well a couple weeks ago. No one is guessing my password, don't care how well you know me. Those who know me would know better than to try to guess it.

Then again, both of my email accounts have been hijacked as well before I got them back under control.

Password change seemed to help them all, though not sure why I went from never having any problems in a decade to boom, one month everything is getting hacked.

Haruki-kun
2010-12-05, 12:17 PM
Change not only your Facebook password: Your e-mail password, too.

It never hurts to go the extra mile for security.

TSGames
2010-12-05, 12:31 PM
I would guess, actually, that you got Firesheep'd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firesheep), although the other things mentioned are certainly possible. Anyway, if you're accessing Facebook from open wireless networks, stop doing that.
*nods* Firesheep. It's HI-LARIOUS!

Just to second what many other posters have said: change your password to a strong password, and don't use the same password for Facebook that you do for other things.

CrimsonAngel
2010-12-05, 12:53 PM
When you log into your Facebook account, it automatically logs out any computers logged in from a different IP address. If somebody else has your password and is logging in from someplace else, you will be logged out as well, but you both can't be logged in at the same time. If that's what's happening, then somebody on YOUR computer network is doing this. (I can log onto Facebook with both my computers at home at the same time).

So yes, log in, change your password, then log out should fix it.

ETA: Your network meaning either somebody else in your house, or somebody hooking into your wifi from nearby. Make sure you've passworded your home network as well.

But me and my friend have been on the same account before. :smallconfused:

zyborg
2010-12-05, 01:06 PM
I've had this happen before to one of my family members. Make a new account, contact all of your friends and let them know that your original account has been taken over. Contact Facebook. If you can get your password via 'Forgot Your Password?', do so, though odds are, they now have your email account as well. If so, contact your email provider about that too.

Eloel
2010-12-05, 01:08 PM
But me and my friend have been on the same account before. :smallconfused:

On the same network, likely.

KenderWizard
2010-12-05, 04:08 PM
Apparently this (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12714/) add-on called Force-TLS can make your Facebook secure. I don't use it myself but it might help you.

mucat
2010-12-05, 04:28 PM
There's also a chance you lost your smartphone recently and you were logged into facebook from it. My buddy found a phone... and went to town with the person's facebook account for random amusement. (he's not a nice guy).
Neither are you, if you didn't turn your buddy over to the cops or the phone's owner.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-12-05, 08:03 PM
Neither are you, if you didn't turn your buddy over to the cops or the phone's owner.
Uhm, excuse me? For one, who are you to judge me given you know absolutely nothing about me or the situation in question?

One, he's the one who found the phone and I have absolutely no moral right to interfere with what he does with it. And two, I didn't find about the situation post-factum.

Eloel
2010-12-07, 01:22 AM

In my opinion, as long as the phone made it back to the owner (the friend didn't sell or claim it, basically), it's the idiot tax for the owner of the phone for losing it. It could've been found by someone who'd sell it, he should be more careful with his smartphone.

I'd say it's a neutral act, not particularly skewed towards any alignment.

Marnath
2010-12-07, 01:39 AM
Uhm, excuse me? For one, who are you to judge me given you know absolutely nothing about me or the situation in question?

One, he's the one who found the phone and I have absolutely no moral right to interfere with what he does with it. And two, I didn't find about the situation post-factum.

Wait, what's not morally right about making sure your buddy returns the phone? It's not his, if he kept it that's called stealing, which you have a legal obligation to do something about. :smallconfused:

TSGames
2010-12-07, 02:39 AM
Wait, what's not morally right about making sure your buddy returns the phone? It's not his, if he kept it that's called stealing, which you have a legal obligation to do something about. :smallconfused:
...where I live, this is not the case. There is no obligation to turn someone in for petty theft.

Legality and ethics are different systems that serve similar purposes. Is it right to keep the phone? No, that is stealing. However, finding out about it after the fact, as the poster said, means there's not a lot to be done about it. Maybe it was an idiot tax, maybe it wasn't, but it's done with now.