PDA

View Full Version : Lawful Good Baldness

Sylthia
2010-12-05, 12:36 AM
Has anyone noticed that there seems to be a high correlation between men who are Lawful Good and baldness. It's not 100%, but there seems to be an association. You've got Roy, Eugene, Durkon, O-Chul, The Chief of Cliffport (This one's a maybe, but Police Chief usually means LG or at least LN), and then there's Shojo, who was CG, but people assumed he was LG since he was head of the Paladins.

Dr.Epic
2010-12-05, 01:03 AM
Who assumed Shojo was LG?:smallconfused: He realized sending people to inspect other Gates was more important than some vow.

Lvl45DM!
2010-12-05, 01:34 AM
People in universe thought he was LG, the baldness was a genre savvy disguise

shadowkiller
2010-12-05, 02:39 AM
We have seen a lot of Paladins (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0447.html) with hair including Hinjo and Soon.

Eloel
2010-12-05, 02:41 AM
Xykon is the epitome of CE, and is bald. Then again...

Jokasti
2010-12-05, 02:42 AM

Not a hair on his body, unlike those fleshbags calling themselves bald. Ha!

Sylthia
2010-12-05, 02:49 AM
Yeah, it's not a 100% correlation, just markedly higher than the average percentage of baldness. Hinjo's still pretty young, so he may go bald as he ages, especially since baldness runs in his family. Xykon had hair when he was still human, though. He no longer has the scalp for it.

Manicotti
2010-12-05, 05:09 AM
Who assumed Shojo was LG?:smallconfused: He realized sending people to inspect other Gates was more important than some vow.

Yes, Shojo is recognized (at least by Belkar (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0410.html)) as Chaotic Good, not Lawful.

Alagaesian
2010-12-05, 08:18 AM
I was pretty sure that Eugene was True Neutral. He stops chasing after an extremely evil, extremely powerful sorcerer to go after a girl and has some involvement in letting his son die, I wouldn't count him to be 100% good. Plus, he makes a blood oath to kill said sorcerer and then abandons it later, so I wouldn't count him to be 100% lawful. Unlike Roy, who has some chaotic tendencies but tries to overcome them, Eugene appears not to even want to better himself.

Plus, you know, Julia's True Neutral and alignment tends to run in families in Stickworld.

Burner28
2010-12-05, 08:27 AM
So?:smallconfused:

Sylthia
2010-12-05, 12:48 PM
Yeah, Eugene's not a very good example of LG. He just considers himself LG and is trying to get into that afterlife.

Gift Jeraff
2010-12-05, 01:21 PM
Eugene was Lawful Good enough for Celestia at the end of SoD. There is some debate whether actions done in death count, though I personally that, yes, now he is True Neutral.

Swordpriest
2010-12-05, 01:38 PM
There does seem to be some correlation, although it only seems to be male alignment baldness .... :smallbiggrin:

NerfTW
2010-12-05, 01:41 PM
Eugene was Lawful Good enough for Celestia at the end of SoD. There is some debate whether actions done in death count, though I personally that, yes, now he is True Neutral.

How so? We've seen him do ONE thing that could be considered a bit on the not Lawful side, and even then it can be argued that he felt the greater good of the others not knowing about V was more important than any potential fallout.

Being a meanie head does NOT make you evil or neutral. You can still be a Lawful Good jerk.

Gift Jeraff
2010-12-05, 01:47 PM
How so? We've seen him do ONE thing that could be considered a bit on the not Lawful side, and even then it can be argued that he felt the greater good of the others not knowing about V was more important than any potential fallout.

Being a meanie head does NOT make you evil or neutral. You can still be a Lawful Good jerk.
This thread is not about Eugene so I'm just gonna make this quick and hope this doesn't start a debate.

-I'm under the impression that he was just barely LG to begin with.
-Tying up that celestial?
-I always thought "feeling it was for the greater good" meant jack when it comes to D&D morality.

faustin
2010-12-05, 01:54 PM
Itīs not the right post to discuss about Eugene alignment, but I can say the same that Celestia ascetic monks complained because the possibility of an escalator (thus making easy for the other guys which took great efforts for them), EVERY Celestia LG denizen should complain if a guy like Eugene was allowed to pass there :smallmad:.

Lord Raziere
2010-12-05, 02:13 PM
heh, if lawful good baldness was true then Belkar would be LG too.

I mean, all the goblins seem to be bald, RC is bald, Xykon doesn't really count, he is a lich so he doesn't have a scalp, there are also some orcs who seem bald so they are not particularly lawful or good.

so yeah, I don't think lawful good baldness is true. however it is weird that there so many characters in OOTS who are bald, might just be the art style, might just be because The Giant comes up with a lot of bald characters, who knows

Sylthia
2010-12-05, 02:18 PM
Belkar does have a wee bit of red hair, though it's very short. Goblins and orcs usually tend to be bald. It seems hair for them is rare among the males. I just noticed the trend among humans and other races that usually have hair.

TimelordSimone
2010-12-05, 04:40 PM
Yes, Shojo is recognized (at least by Belkar (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0410.html)) as Chaotic Good, not Lawful.

"Wait, you're not a Paladin??" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0289.html)
While his disguise is maintained, he's assumed to be LG.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-12-05, 05:31 PM

I mean, all the goblins seem to be bald, RC is bald, Xykon doesn't really count, he is a lich so he doesn't have a scalp, there are also some orcs who seem bald so they are not particularly lawful or good.

so yeah, I don't think lawful good baldness is true. however it is weird that there so many characters in OOTS who are bald, might just be the art style, might just be because The Giant comes up with a lot of bald characters, who knows
Not true. The original proposition was this...

"Most Lawful Good characters are bald."

It doesn't logically follow that "Most bald characters are Lawful Good."

Simple counterexample to state my point...

"All Lawful Stupid characters are jerks."

does not prove

"All jerks are Lawful Stupid."

After all, there's quite a few Chaotic jerks as well.

Burner28
2010-12-05, 05:52 PM

And the Chaotic jerks are....:smallamused:

Boogastreehouse
2010-12-05, 06:25 PM
Since being Lawful often means, among other things, a devotion to order, routines and patterns of behavior, does that mean that this thread is really about Male Pattern Baldness?

Belkar does have a wee bit of red hair, though it's very short.

Which obviously means he is cropping his hair short in an effort to look less evil!

Cybertoy00
2010-12-05, 06:33 PM
I assume that being lawful in a chaotic world can cause anyone to lose hair. And being good in a world where the laws make protecting it a chore can also cause hair loss.
Though in Roy's case, he shaved it.

rewinn
2010-12-05, 10:44 PM
Perhaps a Lawful orientation encourages one to live with whatever the Gods have given you in the way of appearance, e.g. baldness. whereas chaotics are more likely to do as they please:

:haley: "Good news Durkon: the palace hairdresser can give you a full set of curls!"

:durkon: "Nay, lassie, Thor ha' given me tha baldness. I dinna ken any other wa'"

TreesOfDeath
2010-12-06, 02:19 PM

Human Xykon actuall has a thick head of hair.

I assume this thread only applies to demi humans

Jan Mattys
2010-12-06, 03:39 PM
I was pretty sure that Eugene was True Neutral. He stops chasing after an extremely evil, extremely powerful sorcerer to go after a girl

Now, this is false.
While Eugene is no doubt an unforgiving person and a pretty bad dad, he specifically stopped chasing Xykon around because he had a family, and, in his words (OtOPCs) having a family to look after puts things in perspective, meaning that revenge wasn't exactly a top priority any more.

That makes sense and is in no way a less-than-good choice in itself.

Moreover, he is waiting to enter Celestia, and only the Blood Oath of vengeance (i.e. a technicality, and certainly nothing substantial about alignment) prevents him to. So...

runekiri
2010-12-06, 03:53 PM
If we look only at the completely bald however (No hair on their head except for beard, mustache*), that cuts shojo out of the picture (He had white hair at the back of his head).

We can also say that it only counts for as long as you're alive (Leaving both Eugene and Xykon out of the picture).

I know you can prove pretty much anything if you cut out certain attributes, but I don't think It's too much cheating, to say "Alive, completely bald people".

That however, leaves out the goblins, lizardfolk, blackwing, the pie magician and possibly some other people with hair, and I'm not gonna go as far as to say "Completely bald, alive, HUMANOID GOOD RACES".

I think It's just a coincidence however, I'm sure we can find a couple of bald chaotic, or evil guys (Like the dwarf assasin, he was bald, wasn't he?).

Edit: No, apparently the dwarf wasn't completely bald...

Darakonis
2010-12-06, 04:03 PM
Though in Roy's case, he shaved it.
Shaving one's head is a means of coping with the early signs of baldness ;)

Besides, it's in the family.

Peace,
-Darakonis

Aasimar
2010-12-06, 10:16 PM
I thought this thread would be about a more expansive theory of bald-to-LG correlation.

First, we have Kojak.

Stargates General Hammond, as well as Teal'c

Michael Garibaldi, of Babylon 5

Mace Windu

Morpheus

Kevyn Andreyasn of Schlock Mercenary (webcomic, if you haven't read it, DO SO)

I realize some of these may be up for debate as for their alignment... but not the last one.

Jean Luc Picard

Bedinsis
2010-12-07, 06:49 AM
What about Ganonron, terror of a thousand planes? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0633.html)

Burner28
2010-12-07, 08:09 AM
I realize some of these may be up for debate as for their alignment... but not the last one.

Well considering the fact they don't operate within a DnD context nor has been canonically confirmed to be any alignment, yeah, it is subjective. The same can be said of any other fictional characters that also don't operate within a dnD context

hamishspence
2010-12-07, 08:25 AM
One book (Complete Scoundrel) did try to provide alignments for some non-D&D characters- but even then, there's an element of

"what version of the character are you using".

Batman, Indiana Jones, and ---- Tracy the yellow-suited detective, were the LG ones. Given that Batman has been argued to be every alignment (and there's a motivational poster for it) this may be fitted to only the most Lawful and most Good portrayals of him.

Renegade Paladin
2010-12-07, 08:45 AM
And the Chaotic jerks are....:smallamused:
Belkar. Shojo. Thog. Likely Sabine.

IronWilliam
2010-12-30, 07:23 PM
There does seem to be a link...

Kish
2010-12-31, 05:17 PM
Well considering the fact they don't operate within a DnD context nor has been canonically confirmed to be any alignment, yeah, it is subjective.
Indeed, I'd call Picard more Neutral Good myself. He doesn't go out of his way to bend the rules like Kirk, but he doesn't shy away from doing so whenever the Good part of his alignment demands it, either.

Zmflavius
2010-12-31, 06:48 PM
What about Ganonron, terror of a thousand planes? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0633.html)

Not true. The original proposition was this...

"Most Lawful Good characters are bald."

It doesn't logically follow that "Most bald characters are Lawful Good."

Simple counterexample to state my point...

"All Lawful Stupid characters are jerks."

does not prove

"All jerks are Lawful Stupid."

As mentioned above.

zimmerwald1915
2011-01-02, 02:53 PM
Michael Garibaldi, of Babylon 5

I realize some of these may be up for debate as for their alignment
No way Garibaldi's LG. His service to EarthForce and then Independent B5 was based on personal loyalties to his direct superiors, and ended when those personal loyalties vanished. As for good, he's a bit of a racist, and was willing to help further a scheme for genocide.

Sorry for the derail.

The Pilgrim
2011-01-02, 04:22 PM
Belkar. Shojo. Thog. Likely Sabine.

Sabine works under Director Lee (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0637.html), and her consort is Nale, who is LE also. So she is likely to be LE, despite being a succubus.

Ganonron, on the other hand, was the soul granted by Director Nero, hence Neutral Evil.

BRC
2011-01-02, 04:25 PM
Of course, Xykon is the baldest character in the comic, having no hair, or skin, at all, and he is about as far from LG as you can get.

zimmerwald1915
2011-01-02, 08:33 PM
Of course, Xykon is the baldest character in the comic, having no hair, or skin, at all, and he is about as far from LG as you can get.
He had hair before the Guardian Virus made it fall out, and even then a few tufts still persisted until his lichification. Hair that persistent is surely a sign of CE-ness, given that it was only defeated by a change in creature type.

Cerlis
2011-01-02, 09:18 PM
Half the people here seem to be in an entirely different argument.

No one said "if your bald in this comic you are lawful good" . Thats stupid and no one is saying that.

What was pointed out is that "Alot of rectangles are squares". even if most rectangles arent squares, its still true.

And it is true. there are alot of bald characters who are Lawful good.

characters who's hair descriptor would be N/A do not apply (this includes, goblinoids and Skeletons....Really the idea of Xykon being an example of opposition to the original post is crazy)

And this observation is true because its a cliche/trope. The strong willful (which usually means Lawful or commanding) character's badass "serious" factor is increased by giving the character a bald head. whether its from age , representing wisdom, or a lack of a "messing around" attitude which results in the serious character shaving his head so he doesnt have to deal with a hairdo: the Trope of a Strong willful, usually lawful commanding character is out there everywhere.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BaldOfAwesome

This is a kinda overview. But characters are often bald to make them badass in someway. and i think its reasonable to assume that Characters of non neutral (on the L C axis) are usually more interesting and thus more likely to be Badass. And Chaotic characters tend to have wild hair or hats or whatnot.

------------------

Either way, its there its true. and the OP never said ALL bald characters where LG, just a high amount where. and they are