PDA

View Full Version : Maiden of the Spear-Scout sneak attack or skirmish? Make Aes Sedai with base classes?

SylvanPrincess
2010-12-05, 01:44 AM
ive looked around for a good aiel algai'd'siswai (spear carrier) class for awhile now and ive found the revised one from the wheel of time d2o system here: http://wot213.tripod.com/supplement/utdb.pdf

but ive been thinking, to make it using dnd classes, what do you think? i feel that if you replaced the scouts skirmish ability with the rogues sneak attack progression (still call it skirmish if you want for flavor), and make it sworn to never use a sword, that it is very suitable! what do you think?
__________________________________________________ ______________

also want to open this up to ideas for creating Aes Sedai using classes- no homebrew. it seems like theyre a blend of psionic and arcane. isnt there a war weaver prc? would that fit?

__________________________________________________ ______________

SylvanPrincess
2010-12-05, 01:47 AM
except for the whole unarmored thingy...... hmm.... wis to ac? or just leave it at non-metal light armor

Frosty
2010-12-05, 02:30 AM
Try not to make the Scout more MAD than it already is. Without things like Swift Hunter, it already kind of is 'meh' so maybe eventually they start getting things like double or triple the normal DEX to AC bonus?

Tvtyrant
2010-12-05, 02:57 AM
Well since they flurry like a monk but with a spear... I don't know, its tough to find the exact mechanics. Whats wrong with just using theirs?

SylvanPrincess
2010-12-05, 08:15 AM
it ok.....

KillianHawkeye
2010-12-05, 05:07 PM
Sneak Attack doesn't really seem to fit their fighting style at all. I don't know why you'd want to make that change. The Aiel fight honorably. They don't stab people in the back. At least, most of them don't.

Greenish
2010-12-05, 05:31 PM
Uh, been a long time since I read any of the Wheel of Time, so what are they supposed to do?

Unarmoured, spear-wielding bodyguards, it seems, basically. I'd go with Swordsage with those bodyguard feats from DotU. Unarmed SS with Scorpion Spear should work.

Urpriest
2010-12-05, 05:49 PM
Uh, been a long time since I read any of the Wheel of Time, so what are they supposed to do?

Unarmoured, spear-wielding bodyguards, it seems, basically. I'd go with Swordsage with those bodyguard feats from DotU. Unarmed SS with Scorpion Spear should work.

I don't think they're generally bodyguards. I think they're mostly just bodyguards for Rand, on account of the whole "they're female and he's Rand" thing.

Greenish
2010-12-05, 06:08 PM
I don't think they're generally bodyguards. I think they're mostly just bodyguards for Rand, on account of the whole "they're female and he's Rand" thing.Well, the PrC linked is what I'm basing this on.

KillianHawkeye
2010-12-05, 09:00 PM
I don't think the OP is asking about that prestige class, but rather the base class for the algai'd'siswai spear fighters.

dsmiles
2010-12-05, 09:05 PM
I think the actual skirmish mechanic works better for them. Move then attack. Maybe with a pounce ability when their BAB is +6/+1 or something. I wouldn't go with Wisdom to AC, I would just give them one of the defense bonuses from UA or something, and if they wear armor: no defense bonus.

SylvanPrincess
2010-12-05, 11:07 PM
I think the actual skirmish mechanic works better for them. Move then attack. Maybe with a pounce ability when their BAB is +6/+1 or something. I wouldn't go with Wisdom to AC, I would just give them one of the defense bonuses from UA or something, and if they wear armor: no defense bonus.

yeah i agree, but alternately, they can move(flank) and sneak attack. they are also master ambushers

SylvanPrincess
2010-12-05, 11:16 PM
Any ideas about making an Aes Sedai using existing classes? spontaneous caster i feel...specialized in evocation, illusion, abjuration?

Emperor Tippy
2010-12-05, 11:24 PM
I would prolly go swordsage for the Maiden of the Spear, perhaps with a few custom feats/maneuvers and a good bit of refluffing.

Aes Sedai would probably be a Psion with a lot of refluffing and custom mechanics.

SylvanPrincess
2010-12-05, 11:35 PM
I would prolly go swordsage for the Maiden of the Spear, perhaps with a few custom feats/maneuvers and a good bit of refluffing.

Aes Sedai would probably be a Psion with a lot of refluffing and custom mechanics.

so maybe i missed it, but it seems that the psion cant buff others?

also, the eldritch theurage while not seeming the right class seems....i dont actually know. it has 3/4 bab, that surprised me, for a dual caster progression class

Psyren
2010-12-05, 11:41 PM
For Channeling I think you need a different system altogether. Psionics comes close; it can handle the "mental clash" aspect of it, as well as the lack of components, the ability to overtax, kill or still oneself, the ability to hide or trace channeling, and the use of angreal "amplifiers," the ability to form circles etc. What it doesn't do so well are the various weaves and forming unique spells out of different combinations of the basic components. Those weaves are core to the system and would require a lot of refluffing to make psionics fit (as Tippy said.)

so maybe i missed it, but it seems that the psion cant buff others?

Psionicists have some buffs they can put on others, but not a lot. Honestly though, Channeling doesn't seem to have much in the way of buffs either.

SylvanPrincess
2010-12-05, 11:45 PM
For Channeling I think you need a different system altogether. Psionics can handle the "mental clash" aspect of it, as well as the lack of components, the ability to overtax, kill or still oneself, the ability to hide or trace channeling, and the use of angreal "amplifiers," the ability to form circles etc. What it doesn't do so well are the various weaves and forming unique spells out of different combinations of the basic components.

Psionicists have some buffs they can put on others, but not a lot. Honestly though, Channeling doesn't seem to have much in the way of buffs either.

i just want to be able to buff my protector (he doesnt know it yet, but hes going to be my warder). do you think i could spin it to the dm that once were bonded its like an animal companion and i can target him with spells that target myself? if he is within 5 feet?

what about the wu jen. that uses elements right? like the 5 different ones in wot? damn, now i want to make an aes sedai!

Psyren
2010-12-06, 12:07 AM
i just want to be able to buff my protector (he doesnt know it yet, but hes going to be my warder). do you think i could spin it to the dm that once were bonded its like an animal companion and i can target him with spells that target myself? if he is within 5 feet?

what about the wu jen. that uses elements right? like the 5 different ones in wot? damn, now i want to make an aes sedai!

Wu Jen actually use the Chinese elements (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Xing), whereas WoT comes closer to the Greek elements (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_element#Classical_elements_in_Greece) (with Spirit as an analogue for Ęther.)

Of all the typical casting classes. Shugenja come closest to what you want element-wise (their fifth element, Void, is also pretty close to Spirit thematically) so some kind of Shugenja-Psion hybrid might do the trick. They don't really have much of the "mixing" mechanic either though. No system in D&D differentiates casting by gender either, save for some minor fluff aspects of Drow and Rashemi society in FR.

Ernir
2010-12-06, 12:32 AM
Have to agree with Tippy here. Swordsages are... pretty much perfect for Aiel, from the mobile fighting style to them being masters of unarmed combat.

And yes, Psions for channelers. It doesn't fit perfectly, but much better than Vancian.

But, but... channelers don't buff. :smallfrown:

They heal (which Psions can (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/empathicTransfer.htm) do (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/vigor.htm)) and do some very limited stuff like remove fatigue (which Psions can do (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/restorationPsionic.htm)).

SylvanPrincess
2010-12-06, 12:40 AM
you know something? the more i read eldritch theurage and warlock, the more it can almost be flavored to aes sedai. eldritch spellweave lets one combine different spells and invocations, sort of like weaving different elements together to make something new. i know its not optimized, but what about wujen/warlock/eldritch theurage/????

SylvanPrincess
2010-12-06, 12:42 AM
Have to agree with Tippy here. Swordsages are... pretty much perfect for Aiel, from the mobile fighting style to them being masters of unarmed combat.

And yes, Psions for channelers. It doesn't fit perfectly, but much better than Vancian.

But, but... channelers don't buff. :smallfrown:

They heal (which Psions can (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/empathicTransfer.htm) do (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/vigor.htm)) and do some very limited stuff like remove fatigue (which Psions can do (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/restorationPsionic.htm)).

this one does :D

also, the dm doesnt really like maneuvers, so swordsage mike be out of the question. aiel warriors also dont add 6d6 fire damage to their spear strikes ;)

Psyren
2010-12-06, 12:54 AM
this one does :D

Then whatever you're making is Aes Sedai in name only.

also, the dm doesnt really like maneuvers, so swordsage mike be out of the question. aiel warriors also dont add 6d6 fire damage to their spear strikes ;)

Desert Wind is not the only discipline. :smallsigh:
Nothing against you or your DM, it just gets really irritating after awhile when people keep using Desert Wind and Shadow Hand to judge the entire book.

SylvanPrincess
2010-12-06, 01:13 AM
Then whatever you're making is Aes Sedai in name only.

Desert Wind is not the only discipline. :smallsigh:
Nothing against you or your DM, it just gets really irritating after awhile when people keep using Desert Wind and Shadow Hand to judge the entire book.

im not psy, was just making the same sort of comment as the one about aes sedai not buffing :( he doesnt understand the book, i like it, and try to tell people that if anything, its less powerful than a wizard, but he doesnt know it that well, so yeah. but id love to use an aiel 'spear'sage :(

thorgrim29
2010-12-06, 01:26 AM
Oh yeah, I get the "TOB unbalanced, Tier one ok" argument a lot too... On my side it mostly stems from me being the only player even remotely interested in optimizing. For example, my duskblade (tough it was a pretty cool duskblade if I say so myself) was the strongest character in our level 10+ game, by a lot.

For the Warder, there's a class in CWar called, if memory serves, the Thayan bodyguard or something like that, might be worth checking out. As for the spear maidens, I'd see them as scout/swordsages, focusing on the less obviously magical disciplines (Diamond mind, stone dragon, setting sunand a bit of Tiger claw)

Tvtyrant
2010-12-06, 01:46 AM
The Arcanist from Lost Empire of Netheril is uses "arcs" in a manner that is similar to the channelers in both fluff and mechanics. I actually was thinking about that at the time I read the book. That is AD&D though... You could also play a Bard with Sublime Chord and Arcane Disciple:Healing Domain in order to play someone who is very Aes Sedai like.

kestrel404
2010-12-06, 10:19 AM
Aieel build:
Swordsage (Unarmed) 3/Barbarian (Whirling Frenzy, Lion totem) 2/Shou Disciple 5/Swordsage +5/Master of the 9 5

One-power Wielder build:
Erudite (Spell to power) 10/Anarchic Initiate 10

(Shou Disciple is from Unapproachable East, and givers Flurry with melee weapons)

Greenish
2010-12-06, 10:33 AM
I don't think the OP is asking about that prestige class, but rather the base class for the algai'd'siswai spear fighters.Yes, but I have no bloody clue what algae'sistah spear fighters are, so I'm going by how they're statted in the link, since no one has bothered to reply on how they're supposed to fight. :smallamused:

For the Warder, there's a class in CWar called, if memory serves, the Thayan bodyguard or something like that, might be worth checking out.Thayan Knight. The flavour is quite close, but the mechanics are very bland.

Urpriest
2010-12-06, 12:41 PM
Yes, but I have no bloody clue what algae'sistah spear fighters are, so I'm going by how they're statted in the link, since no one has bothered to reply on how they're supposed to fight. :smallamused:

If you're familiar with Dune, the Maidens of the Spear are pretty much spear-focused Fremen.

Otherwise, they're essentially spear focused Bedouin with a little Southwest Naive American flavor thrown in. Lots of ambushes, quick in-and-out guerrilla tactics, obsession with being good at combat, slaves to duty.

SylvanPrincess
2010-12-06, 01:51 PM
im sorry, i didnt realize you did not kow what the aiel are. They are a race that is shrouded in mystery and myth, mainly because anyone who enters their land is killed. they are the best warriors in the world, singular or in any size group. think the spear skills of the zulu and of the spartans, only the aiel warrior by himself can take down a squad of enemy soldiers. the author describes their fighting style in a way that reminds me of 'jab' and 'fend' melded into one ability (both are from diablo 2 :) ). fend is an ability much like whirlwind, and jab is basically flurry of blow with a spear. they are decent martial artists, and will pull a black veil over their lower face before killing- because of cultural myths. they refuse to use swords as well, because a sword is designed to kill a man- the weapons they use, the spear, short horn bow, and long knife, are all items used to survive and feed their family.

they befriended a "wetlander" nation once with the give of a sapling of the tree of life, but awhile later, the wetlander king (a couple hundred years later) cut down the tree. when the aiel heard, they came out of their lands for the (i think) first time, and tried to kill the king. the number of aiel is something over 100,000 i think- and that was only 3 clans (again, memory is dusty). the "wetlander" nations thought that they were trying to invade, and went to meet them in battle. the aiel destroyed them and drove them all the way back to this city called tar valon (where the aes sedai (female magic users) are), and finally killed the king. then they left over night. the wetlanders all thought that they won the battle of the shining walls, but in reality, the aiel werent even fighting a war, they were trying to exterminate a single person. when they succeeded, they left.

as for non combat stuff, they can hide in plain sight, they have track, woodland stride, and escape artist abilities. water is almost holy to them, because it is very rare- "she had never seen water that she could not step across before". a short aeil of either gender is probably 5'10, and the tallest are 6'6+. they have endurance and diehard, being able to outrun a horse (which they refuse to ever ride). they have red to blonde hair

the term they call themselves is algai'd'siswai, or spear carrier. any other questions? this covers the basics.

SylvanPrincess
2010-12-06, 02:16 PM
kestral: barbarian really? why not something more flavorful like sohei (for frenzy ability). barbarians are so.....loud? the aiel to me a silent precision fighters. nice lil build tho, ill look at it. i like the sword sage in there, and i agree that the sword sage can be very aiel, but i really like the Scout better i think

also i looked at thayan knight, and it is quite warder-y enough for me. i see the idea though :) thanks for sharing it. you know, i just looked at the warder prc in the wheel of time rpg, and it is quite decent. reminds me of the old master samurai class in sword and fist

Psyren
2010-12-06, 02:31 PM
the term they call themselves is algai'd'siswai, or spear carrier. any other questions? this covers the basics.

Just wanted to note that this term is given to the "fighting Aiel," not all of them. (i.e. not the blacksmiths, Wise Ones, roofmistresses etc.) Those groups are all capable of fighting if pressed, but they are simply Aiel.

kestrel404
2010-12-06, 02:43 PM
kestral: barbarian really? why not something more flavorful like sohei (for frenzy ability). barbarians are so.....loud? the aiel to me a silent precision fighters. nice lil build tho, ill look at it. i like the sword sage in there, and i agree that the sword sage can be very aiel, but i really like the Scout better i think

There's more to barbarian than going 'Argh! Mog Smash!' Barbarian is a good fit for Aiel in both flavor and mechanics, just not the stock barbarian.

The portions I've listed in parenthises are alternate class features. Whirling Frenzy turns a stock barbarian (the Celtic Berserker archetype) into an Arabian Dervish, meaning that a few times a day instead of become a fast moving super bouncy ball of homicidal intent. The Lion Totem ACF builds on that, giving them the ability to charge and stab you repeatedly before you have a chance to react. Both tricks very common to the Aiel fighting style.

Culturally, the Aiel come from a culture with extremely alien customs. While every Aiel has a very strong sense of duty and adheres strictly to their native customs, there is no such thing as a 'lawful' Aiel - they simply don't have laws as we see them (at least from a Western perspective). If the Clan Head of an Aiel tribe were to demand that his people make war against their allies over a point of honor, then there would be war. But if he were wrong about that point of honor, if this was pointed out by one of his followers, and he still insisted on making war, then there would quickly be a new Clan Chief. This is not a lawful society, despite the rigid obedience to duty and honor - instead, it is a chaotic society with a strongly agreed upon set of customs (at least in D&D terms).

Flavor-wise, the Arabian bedhouins on which the Aiel were based were classified as 'Barbarians' by the ancient greeks (who invented the term, in fact) because of the foreignness of their customs.

It's easy to see an Aiel tribe as a group of Barbarians who also happen to train their children in a semi-mystical super-martial art.

SylvanPrincess
2010-12-06, 04:26 PM
There's more to barbarian than going 'Argh! Mog Smash!' Barbarian is a good fit for Aiel in both flavor and mechanics, just not the stock barbarian.

The portions I've listed in parenthises are alternate class features. Whirling Frenzy turns a stock barbarian (the Celtic Berserker archetype) into an Arabian Dervish, meaning that a few times a day instead of become a fast moving super bouncy ball of homicidal intent. The Lion Totem ACF builds on that, giving them the ability to charge and stab you repeatedly before you have a chance to react. Both tricks very common to the Aiel fighting style.

Culturally, the Aiel come from a culture with extremely alien customs. While every Aiel has a very strong sense of duty and adheres strictly to their native customs, there is no such thing as a 'lawful' Aiel - they simply don't have laws as we see them (at least from a Western perspective). If the Clan Head of an Aiel tribe were to demand that his people make war against their allies over a point of honor, then there would be war. But if he were wrong about that point of honor, if this was pointed out by one of his followers, and he still insisted on making war, then there would quickly be a new Clan Chief. This is not a lawful society, despite the rigid obedience to duty and honor - instead, it is a chaotic society with a strongly agreed upon set of customs (at least in D&D terms).

Flavor-wise, the Arabian bedhouins on which the Aiel were based were classified as 'Barbarians' by the ancient greeks (who invented the term, in fact) because of the foreignness of their customs.

It's easy to see an Aiel tribe as a group of Barbarians who also happen to train their children in a semi-mystical super-martial art.

nice! well put, i like it. i need to check out the alternate abilities, but the way you describe them, they sound very good.

cfalcon
2010-12-06, 04:34 PM
Nothing in D&D is like a channeller in Wheel of Time.

SylvanPrincess
2010-12-06, 04:46 PM

i nkow, thats what im realizing. i might just see if i can use the aes sedai class from the wheel of time d20 book.

other than that, i may do the eldritch theurage prc, it seems decent, increasing full invocations as well as arcane casting, with a 3/4 bab. it does things like weave arcane spells into eldritch blast, so there is a lil flavor there... but not much. almost a lanfear type character. for a long time now ive wanted to do a ...well id describe it as a black/white magic deck idea of a character.

Zephyros
2010-12-06, 07:18 PM
Obligatory WoT reference:
Wash the spears - While the sun climbs high
Wash the spears- While the sun falls low
Wash the spears- Who fears to die?
Wash the spears- No one I know
Wash the spears- While life holds true
Wash the spears- until life ends
Wash the spears- Life is a Dream
Wash the spears- All dreams must end
Wash the spears- Till shade is gone
Wash the spears- till water turns dry
Wash the spears- How long from home?
Wash the spears- Until I die!
Wash the spears- Sun grows cold
Wash the spears- Till water runs free
Wash the spears...
Wash the spears- While I breathe
Wash the spears- My steel is bright
Wash the spears...

For the Aiel I d say that they are too mundane for swordsage to work... They are the best at what they do but not so flashy, as the Swordsage Class. May be if you handpick your maneuvers you ll get the result you want...

Sublime Ranger with Terrain Mastery-Desert ACF and access to Iron Heart might work better.

Psyren
2010-12-06, 07:36 PM
You could also use the disciplines to model the various societies. Stone Dogs would be skilled at Iron Heart/Stone Dragon for instance, while Maidens would be more adept at Setting Sun/Tiger Claw.

Greenish
2010-12-06, 08:10 PM
For the Aiel I d say that they are too mundane for swordsage to work... They are the best at what they do but not so flashy, as the Swordsage Class. May be if you handpick your maneuvers you ll get the result you want...Handpick as in "avoid most Desert Wind maneuvers", you mean?

Oh, gee, that only leaves Diamond Mind, Stone Dragon, Tiger Claw, Setting Sun and Shadow Hand schools. How in the world will you survive?!

Zephyros
2010-12-06, 08:14 PM
IMHO Shadow Hand is also too supernatural... To many thrown shadows and shadow poisons and BAMPHing going around... But then again it's just a matter of taste.

Greenish
2010-12-06, 08:17 PM
IMHO Shadow Hand is also too supernatural... To many thrown shadows and shadow poisons and BAMPHing going around... But then again it's just a matter of taste.And dropping that, we're left with mere four schools. Woe is us!

Zephyros
2010-12-06, 11:20 PM
Are you some kind of opinion police???

Psyren
2010-12-06, 11:36 PM
Are you some kind of opinion police???

He's just heavy on the sarcasm. But as I said earlier in the thread, Desert Wind and Shadow Hand are really the only "magical" disciplines. The rest are capable of amazing feats, but they still "feel" martial.

(Well, Devoted Spirit is borderline too... but that has more to do with D&D itself than the discipline.)

Greenish
2010-12-07, 09:55 AM
Are you some kind of opinion police???You're entitled to your own opinions, of course. You're not entitled to your own facts though. Swordsage isn't and doesn't have to be particularly flashy, and claiming that they always are is plain wrong.

But I totally need an "Opinion Police" badge.

kestrel404
2010-12-07, 10:27 AM

Totally disagree. Psionics is very close in terms of what it can do and how it is used. The only issue is that the flavor is wrong.

Aes Sedai are well represented by either Erudite or Psion. Wise Ones are probably closer to Ardents.

Master_Rahl22
2010-12-07, 01:46 PM
Yeah, since I'm reading Towers of Midnight right now I was thinking about how to represent channelers in D&D. I know there was a d20 book for WoT, but I've also heard it was horribly balanced and didn't do a particularly good job representing channelers.

I think psionics works very well actually. Vancian casting won't work since they can use the same weave all day if they want to, and spontaneous arcane/divine casters are too limited in weaves known. The power points represent their ability to keep going, as we see repeatedly that when they're tired or weak channelers can't channel as well or not at all.

The weaving elements thing is purely fluff. You could manifest Vigor and Empathic Transfer, but describe it as "My character weaves all 5 elements into an intricate pattern and then lays the pattern over the man, Healing him." Also, as somebody already mentioned feats like Body Fuel let your character push themselves to the limit to keep channeling, to the point of damaging their body and requiring much rest later.

As for the Aiel, I like Skirmish, and kestrel404's recommendation of Lion Totem Barb with Whirling Frenzy. Swordsage I think would also work very well. These guys can hide when there's nothing even to hide behind, and run for miles upon miles in the freakin desert, and are among the best fighters in the world. Avoid Desert Wind and Shadow Hand and you have awesome fighters that can do things most people think is magic, but is really just lifelong training.

SylvanPrincess
2010-12-07, 06:26 PM
Yeah, since I'm reading Towers of Midnight right now I was thinking about how to represent channelers in D&D. I know there was a d20 book for WoT, but I've also heard it was horribly balanced and didn't do a particularly good job representing channelers.

I think psionics works very well actually. Vancian casting won't work since they can use the same weave all day if they want to, and spontaneous arcane/divine casters are too limited in weaves known. The power points represent their ability to keep going, as we see repeatedly that when they're tired or weak channelers can't channel as well or not at all.

The weaving elements thing is purely fluff. You could manifest Vigor and Empathic Transfer, but describe it as "My character weaves all 5 elements into an intricate pattern and then lays the pattern over the man, Healing him." Also, as somebody already mentioned feats like Body Fuel let your character push themselves to the limit to keep channeling, to the point of damaging their body and requiring much rest later.

As for the Aiel, I like Skirmish, and kestrel404's recommendation of Lion Totem Barb with Whirling Frenzy. Swordsage I think would also work very well. These guys can hide when there's nothing even to hide behind, and run for miles upon miles in the freakin desert, and are among the best fighters in the world. Avoid Desert Wind and Shadow Hand and you have awesome fighters that can do things most people think is magic, but is really just lifelong training.

i took a long look at the aes sedai (any channeler really) in thw wot d20 book, and i must say i like it a lot. theyve done something in it that ive always argued should be done in d&d- situational casting.

take gust of wind for instance (probably not the right name, but i dont feel like looking it up right now :P). if you cast it as a 1-2 level caster it only creates enough wind to blow out a torch, but if you cast it as a 17-20 caster, it can knock down a house. also, you may use any lower level weaving of it you want, capped at your level. its like this for almost every weave.

another thing i like is that it allows you to keep getting more weaves even if your weave ability mod (INT) is lower. for instance, if your int is 14, you can cast up to fourth level weaves. once you level and get the ability to cast 5th level weaves, you obviously cannot, but it lets you cast another 4th level weave in its place. im not sure if its like that in dnd or not, but it represents a weaker aes sedai, not being able to cast higher powers, but still able to channel a lot - to a point.

Psyren
2010-12-07, 06:33 PM
take gust of wind for instance (probably not the right name, but i dont feel like looking it up right now :P). if you cast it as a 1-2 level caster it only creates enough wind to blow out a torch, but if you cast it as a 17-20 caster, it can knock down a house. also, you may use any lower level weaving of it you want, capped at your level. its like this for almost every weave.

Again, Psionics is perfect for this.

another thing i like is that it allows you to keep getting more weaves even if your weave ability mod (INT) is lower. for instance, if your int is 14, you can cast up to fourth level weaves. once you level and get the ability to cast 5th level weaves, you obviously cannot, but it lets you cast another 4th level weave in its place. im not sure if its like that in dnd or not, but it represents a weaker aes sedai, not being able to cast higher powers, but still able to channel a lot - to a point.

Sure it does - you can always choose to learn lower-level spells/powers instead of the maximum level indicated on the table, and indeed you must do so if your key ability score is low.

Tvtyrant
2010-12-07, 06:50 PM
they are the best warriors in the world, singular or in any size group.

Not to knock this off topic, but I disagree. They are by far the most numerous warriors on the planet, sure, but they aren't all that much better then anyone else. In fact when you compare their numbers to the other nations you find that the Aiel are actually the single most populated nation this side of Seanchen.

And the newest book states the ravens slaughter them after they go to war, so... Yeah.

SylvanPrincess
2010-12-08, 01:14 AM
Not to knock this off topic, but I disagree. They are by far the most numerous warriors on the planet, sure, but they aren't all that much better then anyone else. In fact when you compare their numbers to the other nations you find that the Aiel are actually the single most populated nation this side of Seanchen.

And the newest book states the ravens slaughter them after they go to war, so... Yeah.

excuse me :P i guess i meant to say they have the reputation of being the best warriors in the known world

Tvtyrant
2010-12-08, 01:17 AM
excuse me :P i guess i meant to say they have the reputation of being the best warriors in the known world

:P Well they are good at what they do, and it doesn't help that you have to invade a desert to attack them back!

I think ToB would be fine for this; make it a Swordsage and it even matches the same mentality. Either that or convince your DM to let you use a buckler and spear while flurrying as a monk :P

dsmiles
2010-12-08, 05:26 AM
But I totally need an "Opinion Police" badge.

I'm sure you can order one online. That's where I got my big, red "DECEASED" stamp. :smallbiggrin:

Zephyros
2010-12-09, 07:04 AM
On the Aiel:

Let us not forget that they were a single minded people on one thing: Total abstinence from violence. And yet the Pattern made them develop the most warlike personality/culture as a nation.