PDA

View Full Version : Soul's Fury (IC)

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-05, 01:56 AM
The sun sets across the hills, night is falling, and a few of the goblins have broken out the ale. The night is peaceful, but tommorrow brings new promise.

Introduce your characters, and we will start tomorrow morning.

niks97cobra
2010-12-05, 01:09 PM
Splurg, like the other goblins in and around Bobcat Hill, are not like other goblins. He is not the rowdy sort and often shows compassion and wisdom. Splurg grabs a mug of ale, and sits down by the fire. The night air is warm in this near tropical environment, but fire is a must to cook the days kill on. This is one of the things the elves have done for the goblins, teaching them to savor the taste of food, instead of tearing into it and eating while the creature is still alive.

He looks to the sky and then all around him, "Thank the Lady Arawai for this delicious brew. If it weren't for her, we would have died in the cataclysm."

He speaks as if to everyone, Splurg is always eager to have a conversation. The goblin's battleaxe hangs from his right side, his crossbow hanging down from his left side. He checks his scalemail armor, knowing that on Padonthia, just because it is night fall, doesn't mean everyone is safe inside the walls of Bobcat Hill. His thoughts drift off, remembering the fire bats that attacked one May evening.

Splurg looks around, awaiting other company. He has a good feeling about tomorrow and has felt restless, he makes so many decisions for the goblins, he needs a break from the day to day of Shadowfell Keep and Bobcat Hill.

Vladislav
2010-12-05, 01:34 PM
A weary Dwarf takes a seat to rest by the fire. He takes a swig and allows his eyes to mist for a moment, as the fine ale reminds him of home. He's short and stocky, even moreso than the average dwarf. A large axe is tucked in his belt, and a quiver rests by his side. A coat of arms in the shape of hammer striking an anvil decorates his armor. His beard and cloak are rather worse for the wear, and the mud on his boots tells the story of the roads he traveled to get here.

Hearing the goblin's comment, he nods, but, not desiring to engage in a theological argument, responds only to the first half.

A fine ale indeed, best I've tasted since leaving Ironwall mountains. Gormil Stonehand be my name, pleasure to meet someone with a good taste in drink.

niks97cobra
2010-12-05, 02:01 PM
Splurg looks over the dwarf. New comers are not common in Bobcat Hill, but the dwarves often send various members of their community to help in trading. Occasionally a brave soul will make the trek from the Ironwall Mountains by himself, as this dwarf must have. Quite a dangerous feat.

Splurg extends his hand,"I am Splurg. It has been sometime since I drank the ale of the dwarves, but luckily, they assisted in the recipe we are drinking here." The goblin gives a wink and chugs some of his ale.

It is a strange time in the lands of Padonthia, a dwarf and a goblin sit around a fire, in the elven village of Bobcat Hill. Even the young Splurg can remember a time when the mere sight of each other would have drove them to a blood bath.

promurphy
2010-12-05, 08:04 PM
“Dwarven Ale you say? Some of the tastiest drink one can find!” says a gnome in somewhat macabre clothing. Despite looking like a well dressed grave digger, he certainly gives off an aura of a showman. He looks at the goblin and the dwarf, gives a nod to both and sits down by the fire.

“None for me though, stuff always makes me flat.” He then hums a short tune to himself, then does the same in a minor key, making it sound like a dirge. “Unless you’d be inclined for funeral music, I think it is best that I let you two finish it up.”

The gnome is dressed in a stylish studded leather armored outfit but is covered by a cloak that is simultaneously beautiful and dark. His longsword, attached to his side, glistens wildly off of the fire. It is so reflective it is clear that it hasn’t seen much use. He takes out a small crossbow which has three bowstrings where most crossbows have only one. Ned plucks at each individually, and while doing so snickers to himself and sing-says, “C… E-flat…G! Still perfect!”

Then he strums them together: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9f/Minor_triad_on_C.mid

“So, the name’s Ned. Nice to meet you folks, what brings you all here?"

Vladislav
2010-12-05, 09:43 PM
Splurg ... Gormil lets the unfamiliar language roll of his tongue and he accepts the handshake. Well met. Beggars can't be choosers, and this dwarf, rejected by family and friends, is now sharing a drink with a goblin.

He acknowledges the gnome with a nod. Never had an ear for music, could not distinguish a funeral march of a sonet, and the strumming passes him by without effect.

He perks up a bit at the gnome's question. Spreading the word and ways of Moradin. As much as people are willing to listen, leastwise. He takes another swig of ale. Thirsting work, it is.

promurphy
2010-12-05, 11:34 PM
"I wish I was so focused sometimes," Ned begins, "although my floating-about nature has shown me a good share of fun, so I suppose my path isn't all bad either." Ned smiles warmly, and relaxes by the fire, quietly humming to himself.

niks97cobra
2010-12-06, 01:15 PM
The goblin looks over the gnome. No goblin is fond of a hum like that, they prefer war chants and deeper, more guttural sounds.

"It is a pleasure, Gormil," the goblin says. It is almost a surprise that the goblin speaks such elegant common, though his voice is still very deep.

He then turns back to the gnome, "Ned, I am Splurg. I am here because I live here. Actually I live in Shadowfell Keep, a few miles to the west, but I often stay the night here." He offers no hand to the gnome, remembering the gnome airship attack that hit the village over a year ago. The goblin goes back to sipping on his ale.

Vladislav
2010-12-07, 10:29 AM
Having finished his mug, Gormil wipes the remains of foam from his beard. So, how are you folk faring in this stretch of land? Any local news?

niks97cobra
2010-12-07, 11:21 AM
"Well, there were some strange fire bat creatures not long ago, prowling the area, but some of the elves took care of those. It has been rather quiet around here, almost too quiet," the goblin answers Gormil.

promurphy
2010-12-07, 11:27 AM
"None from me I'm afraid." Ned's tone goes from jolly to somber. "I've been simply wandering for as long as I can remember. Seems like as soon as I find a place to call home, something comes up and sweeps me away again. This has happened so often than I find myself living in the moment."

Ned shifts his weight closer to Gromil, reaches for a mug but hesitates and continues. "I came across this camp just a short time ago. These folk didn't know what to think of me at first." He snickers for a moment. "After they were sure I posed no threat they were welcoming enough."

Ned's demeanor changes again to a calm happiness. "For tonight, or rather for right now, this fire is nice. That's about all I know."

Ned turns to the Goblin, "Firebats you say? That sounds exciting. Were you involved in destroying them?"

niks97cobra
2010-12-07, 11:54 AM
"I consider myself pretty handy with my axe, that is for sure, but I was not in town that evening. I missed the spectacle." The goblin sighs, wishing he had been there to show off his prowess.

promurphy
2010-12-07, 08:34 PM
"With any luck I won't have a chance to see just how handy", Ned says as he holds up a fictional glass with a snicker, "Here's to peace, good Goblin."

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-07, 09:13 PM
"Aye!" shouts a large man off to the side. You turn to notice Geben, an overly large dwarf, sitting there, drinking his fill of ale. Between sips he eyes you all, smiling warmly to himself.

promurphy
2010-12-07, 09:36 PM
To the large dwarf Ned says, "Hello there, what tale do you bring to the fire? Or are you awaiting to hear one of mine?" Ned readies his himself with eager anticipation.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-07, 09:37 PM
To the large dwarf Ned says, "Hello there, what tale do you bring to the fire? Or are you awaiting to hear one of mine?" Ned readies his himself with eager anticipation.

"Well I can tell by your jitterin' that you have a tale to tell, so by no means let me impede yea."

promurphy
2010-12-07, 09:49 PM
Ned leaps between the dwarf and the fire and with a boisterous attitude begins his tale, “So I was staying in a gnomish town a good ride from here, entertaining the town folk with songs and simple magical parlor tricks. But for how smart gnomes typically are, the majority does not fancy variety."

Ned gets in close to the goblin and in a whispered tone says, “Now that’s not to say all us gnomes don’t like a little spice once in a while, if you catch my drift.” And with a wink jumps center stage again.

“I began to get bored of my own act, I mean how many times can you sing, ‘Inventors inventors big brained are we!’ before you want to completely cut your ears off? So I did my entire act in minor chords instead of the typical major chords. For those not musically inclined, that takes your typical peppy march and turns it into a dirge-y funeral piece. Well I thought I was absolutely hysterical, but my small friends did not agree. They were so annoyed by my displayed that they threw fruit at me and ran me out of town!”

Ned gets serious for a moment, “I have never seen such harsh critics. Those other gnomes were so hell-bent on sameness that they rejected change with violence. I vowed then that I would wander until I found people who accept me for being odd. Or at the very least won’t commit violent acts against me for being odd!”

Sitting next to the large Dwarf, “So now I’m here with this lot. And a fine lot it is! The name is Edwin Kayfabe, but you my friend can call me Ned. What’s your story?”

Vladislav
2010-12-07, 10:47 PM
Normally, Gormil would be exhillarated to see a fellow Dwarf, but memories of his recent exile are still fresh. He eyes Geben, trying to divine from his accent, the shape of his beard and the way his hair is groomed whether Geben's a native to the same area as the Stonehand clan.

Meanwhile, he merely nods toward the other dwarf in what could be, with some measure of imagination, considered a greeting.

niks97cobra
2010-12-08, 08:35 AM
Splurg looks to the dwarf as he yells 'Aye.' Splurg thinks to himself, 'That is awfully rude for him to butt in on our conversation without even introducing himself. He does look familiar though, perhaps he has passed through before. There is an unusual amount of travelers here tonight.'

Splurg tries to ignore the gnome's rambling, but makes a note that he came from a gnome village, he will make sure to inquire just how far away it is, but that is not for the present conversation.

Splurg holds up his ale to the new dwarf, "I am Splurg, sir, and what brings you to the fire tonight?"

promurphy
2010-12-08, 10:08 AM
Ned studies the dwarf intently, trying to remember if he has seen or heard about him before.

I had trouble getting this to work at first. Hence 2 posts.
Knowledge Check: [roll0] + 4 = 22

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-08, 04:04 PM
Ned studies the dwarf intently, trying to remember if he has seen or heard about him before.

I had trouble getting this to work at first. Hence 2 posts.
Knowledge Check: [roll0] + 4 = 22

You have not, except here and there around the village.

promurphy
2010-12-08, 10:41 PM
Coming up with nothing. Ned patiently waits for the dwarf to answer the goblin.

niks97cobra
2010-12-09, 12:19 PM
Splurg realizes him and the gnome are just staring at the new dwarf, he almost feels rude, but the dwarf was rude first.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-09, 12:23 PM
"Well lads, I suppose I should explain myself for interrupting your little party. . . I'm here to bring news. News of a cache of treasure that survived the cataclysm. Not just any treasure mind you, but vast stores of goods, buried beneath the earth."

niks97cobra
2010-12-09, 12:26 PM
Splurg is immediately perplexed by this dwarf telling a group of strangers of treasure, and Splurg cuts right to the chase. "Why would you tell us, three strangers to you, about treasure? What is in it for you?"

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-09, 12:28 PM
Splurg is immediately perplexed by this dwarf telling a group of strangers of treasure, and Splurg cuts right to the chase. "Why would you tell us, three strangers to you, about treasure? What is in it for you?"

"Me? Oh, well, I heard of the treasure in my wanderings, and came to this place to find those strong enough to reach it. I have found you. What do I want out of this? Two things, for this settlement to receive those goods, and a single gem among the treasures that I wish to claim for myself."

Vladislav
2010-12-09, 12:29 PM
Treasure, eh? That's what's bothering him, when the world is just starting to recover from the disaster? Moradin's beard, that's a greedy dwarf if I ever saw one, Gormil thinks. And he did see quite a few greedy dwarves.

Tell me kindly, sir, Gormil addresses the larger dwarf with poorly-hidden sarcasm, Would that treasure have a lawful owner that you expect us to wrest it from for your personal benefit?

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-09, 12:31 PM
Treasure, eh? That's what's bothering him, when the world is just starting to recover from the disaster? Moradin's beard, that's a greedy dwarf if I ever saw one, Gormil thinks. And he did see quite a few greedy dwarves.

Tell me kindly, sir, Gormil addresses the larger dwarf with poorly-hidden sarcasm, Would that treasure have a lawful owner that you expect us to wrest it from for your personal benefit?

"Merely mother earth. The treasure was originally my family's, but we thought it lost in the cataclysm. Any creature which owns it now is far from our kind, and this settlement could use the various goods we had stored."

niks97cobra
2010-12-09, 12:33 PM
"The villages definitely are in harsh times, any goods can only help them." The mentioning of goods for Bobcat Hill spurs Splurg's mind, and though a paladin, he is goblin, and the thought of a treasure hunt has his blood going as well. "I have been cooped up in the villages since the cataclysm, it might be nice to stretch my legs." He says that as if he is old, but he is actually a young goblin.

"Where is this cache?"

promurphy
2010-12-09, 12:57 PM
Ned’s eyes glaze over with the thought of a real adventure. He begins some honest haggling.

“So, if we give you what you need, and give this settlement the rest, is there any chance for an opportunistic fella’ like myself to see any financial benefit as well? I’m all for helping those in need, especially in these trying times, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to gift myself some rewards as well.”

Looks around the fire at the two dwarfs and goblin with a “am I right?” sort of gesture.

Ned piggybacks on the goblin's question, "Yes, where indeed?"

Vladislav
2010-12-09, 01:13 PM
Very well, if it's for the greater good, then by the glory of Moradin, I'll help look for it.

He almost smiles at Ned's opportunism. Apparently, not everyone expects their reward in the afterlife. Some want it here and now. Well, as long as he's willing to help...

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-09, 02:56 PM
Ned’s eyes glaze over with the thought of a real adventure. He begins some honest haggling.

“So, if we give you what you need, and give this settlement the rest, is there any chance for an opportunistic fella’ like myself to see any financial benefit as well? I’m all for helping those in need, especially in these trying times, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to gift myself some rewards as well.”

Looks around the fire at the two dwarfs and goblin with a “am I right?” sort of gesture.

Ned piggybacks on the goblin's question, "Yes, where indeed?"

"Surely! You'll have what you want of treasure and goods, art too if that's your fancy. That is of course, after proper division is done of what is needed. But my family were great magesmiths before, and armaments and other objects will surely litter the halls. The ruins through which we'd enter are over three days walk from here, though it will take seven if we wish to rest and pace ourselves."

promurphy
2010-12-09, 03:03 PM
Ned appears overjoyed. "Fantastic! I have no problem giving the largest portion to the town, but if we find a golden ocarina tuned to a minor chord, I would find that very difficult to pass up!"

"I vote we pace ourselves, we don't know what sort of trouble we are going to get into when we get there and I'm useless without the proper sleep." Turns away from the dwarf and to the goblin and remaining dwarf, "That is assuming you can use someone of my talents and don't mind if I tag along." Ned flashes a sly smirk.

niks97cobra
2010-12-09, 05:02 PM
"Rest?" The goblin grumbles a bit, thinking he is far to young to have to rest. This gnome must be lazy, he thinks to himself. "I would much rather push on. The fewer nights spent in the open, the less danger we shall incur at camp. Which direction will we be going? What kind of ruins is this? An old forge?" Splurg pauses and awaits some answers.

Vladislav
2010-12-09, 05:09 PM
Gormil nods. Aye, the sooner we depart, and the faster we get there, the better.

He regards the other dwarf with some suspicion still. Gormil have already seen treachery and deceit among his own kind, something he would until recently thought impossible.

And, Geben, I will take your word for it, that there's no owner to that treasure. And I best not be deceived.

Sense motive [roll0] <--- that's some gullible dwarf, ladies and gentlemen; he just doesn't learn from experience

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-09, 05:27 PM
"Rest?" The goblin grumbles a bit, thinking he is far to young to have to rest. This gnome must be lazy, he thinks to himself. "I would much rather push on. The fewer nights spent in the open, the less danger we shall incur at camp. Which direction will we be going? What kind of ruins is this? An old forge?" Splurg pauses and awaits some answers.

"The ruins are my old clan hall."

promurphy
2010-12-09, 06:05 PM
Ned pauses, knowing that what limited gifts he has, those of inspiration and simple enchantment spells, are somewhat limited next to a real mage. He decides to meet his new potential allies half way.

"Well two to one, I won't push the issue further" he begins, "but unless this mission is secretive we may be able to get some steeds and what little provisions this camp has to give us a better chance of success?

niks97cobra
2010-12-09, 06:07 PM
Splurg looks to the gnome, "Someone probably has horses to spare, but I surely don't have the coin to rent one." He pauses for an answer, then continues."Well then, it looks like we have quite a day planned for us tomorrow. I believe we all need our beauty sleep, especially the gnome over here." Splurg gives a toothy grin as he finishes his mug of ale. "I believe I will sleep by the fire this evening."

The goblin unrolls his bedroll and takes off his armor. The goblin curls up next to the fire underneath a star filled sky. He lies awake on his bedroll until the conversation is done.

promurphy
2010-12-09, 06:30 PM
Ned begins to sense a great deal of hostility from the goblin, and rather than show frustration decides to take another approach.

"You'd be surprised just how much people are willing to help people nowadays, especially when they people they are helping, are ultimately helping as well. But if you're uninterested in pursueing a faster mode of transport, on foot it is."

Ned lays his long robe out, lays on one end, and rolls himself into a tight cocoon.

"Geben will you be joining us?"

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-09, 06:31 PM
Ned begins to sense a great deal of hostility from the goblin, and rather than show frustration decides to take another approach.

"You'd be surprised just how much people are willing to help people nowadays, especially when they people they are helping, are ultimately helping as well. But if you're uninterested in pursueing a faster mode of transport, on foot it is."

Ned lays his long robe out, lays on one end, and rolls himself into a tight cocoon.

"Geben will you be joining us?"

"Of course."

niks97cobra
2010-12-09, 06:34 PM
"Of course."

"Perhaps you would be willing to foot the bill for faster travel? I am sure the elves have spare horses in the stable, maybe even hippogriffs for a much higher price," the goblin says from his bedroll.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-09, 06:35 PM
"Perhaps you would be willing to foot the bill for faster travel? I am sure the elves have spare horses in the stable, maybe even hippogriffs for a much higher price," the goblin says from his bedroll.

He checks his purse, and then looks back up at you all.

"I think I could do that."

niks97cobra
2010-12-09, 06:45 PM
Now that everything seems settled for the morning, the goblin drifts off into slumber, dreaming of calling on the Lady Arawai to smite down evil and converting goblins to her cause.

promurphy
2010-12-09, 07:23 PM
"Don't go broke on our behalf", says Ned, "Assuming we're headed for riches, I can toss some coin towards travel. Let's discuss the details in the morning. I don't know this camp as well as the rest."

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-09, 07:24 PM
"Don't go broke on our behalf", says Ned, "Assuming we're headed for riches, I can toss some coin towards travel. Let's discuss the details in the morning. I don't know this camp as well as the rest."

"No no, money stands little value to me. I'm well heeled and well off, I can stand to lose some weight."

Vladislav
2010-12-09, 07:40 PM
I can stand to lose some weight."
Don't we all, Geben, don't we all. Well, good night everyone.

Gormil dreams, as usual in the last few weeks, of his ancestral home.

promurphy
2010-12-10, 08:11 AM
Ned snores very quietly, and the snoring is somehow melodic.

niks97cobra
2010-12-10, 02:54 PM
Splurg rises very early in the morning. He stares at the glowing embers of the dying fire as he stretches his legs and arms. The night sky appears to be clear and light is barely coming over the horizon, and he hopes it stays that way. While the others sleep, he makes his way through the village, and quickly heads to his home. He says a quick good bye to his family, letting them know he is going look for supplies for the villages. He returns back to Bobcat Hill just as the sun peaks over the horizon. He returns to the fire.

He carefully shakes Gormil and Ned, until he wakes them up. Then he looks for Geben.

Vladislav
2010-12-10, 02:57 PM
Gormil doesn't have anyone to say goodbye to. He meditates by the fire and carries a prayer to Moradin, humbly asking for strength to survive the coming ordeals.

He checks his gear, meager as it may be, is in good condition for travel, then looks up Geben and the others.

promurphy
2010-12-10, 03:16 PM
Being awoken by the Paladin, Ned quickly comes to, "Rise and shine then, my good man. Are you ready to go on a good old fashioned treasure hunt? With any luck we'll have some laughs, make some coin, and do a great deed for this camp. What could be better?"

After watching the dwarf pray, he patiently waits for him to finish, then says, "If I could my friend, tell me about who you pray to. I'm still looking for guidance myself."

niks97cobra
2010-12-11, 08:32 PM
When Geben is not immediately around, Splurg suggests they check at the stables for the dwarf.

promurphy
2010-12-12, 09:07 AM
Still waiting for an answer from Gormil, Ned nods towards Splurg in agreement but patiently watches Gormil as he collects his answer.

Vladislav
2010-12-12, 11:49 AM
Well, Ned, your people may know Moradin by the name Dwarffather, but we prefer to call him the All-Father. He is the source of all creation, from the roots of the mountains to the snow on their summits, the beginning of everything.

For example, this treasure we're hunting for? Who do you think placed it underground initially if not Him? The bread we eat? Grows in the rich ground created by Him. He is the rock and the hammer, the soul and the body. Without Him, what would we be? Nothing.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-13, 01:06 AM
Geben shows up with horses at first light.

"Well, there be time for sleepin' once we've made some ground. Onward my boon companions!"

He is most certainly . . . a morning person.

Vladislav
2010-12-13, 01:56 AM
Gormil feels a bit guilty for giving Geben the cold shoulder yesterday. He's not the one to blame for Gormil's clan turning on him. He smiles and decides to be nicer to his companion.

With the blessings of Moradin, let's embark on this journey.

promurphy
2010-12-13, 08:14 AM
Well, Ned, your people may know Moradin by the name Dwarffather, but we prefer to call him the All-Father. He is the source of all creation, from the roots of the mountains to the snow on their summits, the beginning of everything.

For example, this treasure we're hunting for? Who do you think placed it underground initially if not Him? The bread we eat? Grows in the rich ground created by Him. He is the rock and the hammer, the soul and the body. Without Him, what would we be? Nothing.

As I find myself my own focus as you already have, would you please ask Moradin to watch over me as well?

"Well, there be time for sleepin' once we've made some ground. Onward my boon companions!"

You, my friend, are a good man.

Ned prepares his horse and leaps on. Looking awkward with a half-a-man on a horse.

Let's ride!

niks97cobra
2010-12-13, 09:53 AM
Splurg knows all too well the feeling the gnome has, the goblin's small frame is quite under sized for the horse. The goblin clambers onto the horse.

Gormil asks for the blessings of Moradin and Splurg adds, "The blessings of Moradin are indeed the blessings of a great God. May the Lady Arawai add her blessings as well."

Splurg will follow closely behind Geben as they travel, keeping an eye and an ear out for possible danger.

Vladislav
2010-12-13, 09:58 AM
As I find myself my own focus as you already have, would you please ask Moradin to watch over me as well?
Of course I will, Ned. But don't sell yourself short, you do not need me as a vessel. Look into your heart, and try to find the touch of the Creator there. And even if for now you can't, remember: regardless of whether you believe in Moradin or not, He believes in you.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-13, 12:44 PM
Geben struggles onto his horse as well.

"I'm sorry for the mismatched mounts, but I figured the horses could cover better ground and be more formidable in a pinch."

promurphy
2010-12-13, 12:53 PM
I'm feeling a pinch right now...

He adjusts himself awkwardly on his horse.

Vladislav
2010-12-13, 01:00 PM
Gormil climbs into the saddle. As the horse takes move, he suddenly feels if not uncomfortable, then at least extremely undwarven. Still, he tries to grin and bear it ... he won't let such a beautiful morning be ruined by anything.

niks97cobra
2010-12-13, 06:31 PM
"Short I maybe, but I am comfortable on a horse. A much more docile mount than the wargs my less fair goblin cousins ride."

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-14, 10:54 PM
After a short while of riding, you come to a low area in the landscape. Geben suggests you camp here for tonight.

"Unless you'd rather keep moving?"

Vladislav
2010-12-14, 11:05 PM
I don't feel tired at all, Gormil semi-lies, not wanting to lose face in front of his new friends. He is actually a bit tired. Diving into a bedroll sounds so nice... he stifles a yawn. Let's ride some more.

niks97cobra
2010-12-15, 12:59 AM
How long is a short while? Have we put in at least 8 hours of hard riding? Which direction did we ride in from Bobcat Hill? How does the landscape look?

Sorry for all the questions, but each is essential to my characters answer.

promurphy
2010-12-15, 08:52 AM
I'll figure this out in character so Geben can stay in character.

Geben, how much longer would you say we have to ride? If we ride for another half-a-day, is there a safer spot to rest?

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-15, 04:35 PM
You've riden for 8 hours west of Bobcat Hill

I'll figure this out in character so Geben can stay in character.

Geben, how much longer would you say we have to ride? If we ride for another half-a-day, is there a safer spot to rest?

"Well, nother half a day's ride and we'll be near a river. That good for you, as long as you don't mind riding at night?"

promurphy
2010-12-15, 04:43 PM
I'd good for another half-a-day's ride. Although by then I'll surely collapse. We can camp now or camp as soon as we hit the river. If we get to that point I'm not sure I could press on much longer without a rest.

I suppose whichever plan is safer, what say the rest of you?

niks97cobra
2010-12-15, 04:48 PM
Well, I can't really answer. My character doesn't know what time it is, how long they have rode, or what the surroundings look like. If it is night fall, and there is a reasonable amount of cover, he will probably want to stop. "A short while" implies it is only mid afternoon in my mind, so that would mean to ride on. If the DM could describe the scene some please.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-15, 04:56 PM
Well, I can't really answer. My character doesn't know what time it is, how long they have rode, or what the surroundings look like. If it is night fall, and there is a reasonable amount of cover, he will probably want to stop. "A short while" implies it is only mid afternoon in my mind, so that would mean to ride on. If the DM could describe the scene some please.

Eight hours have passed since you left Bobcat Hill. The sun is hanging low in the sky, but since you left early you still have light for another four hours or so. You could make the river by nightfall.

niks97cobra
2010-12-15, 05:01 PM
Splurg, excited for this new opportunity to show his worth to his village agrees with the gnome. "Let us get to the river, my canteen could us a good refilling any way. Maybe there will be some cover there as well, I'd hate to camp out in the open. There is no telling what is out here."

Which direction are we heading?

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-15, 05:16 PM
Splurg, excited for this new opportunity to show his worth to his village agrees with the gnome. "Let us get to the river, my canteen could us a good refilling any way. Maybe there will be some cover there as well, I'd hate to camp out in the open. There is no telling what is out here."

Which direction are we heading?

"All right then! We ride north from here to reach the river by nightfall, and we will camp in a special spot I know! Oh, and I have a treat for you all tonight!"

niks97cobra
2010-12-15, 05:23 PM
The goblins eyes perk up at the sound of a treat. No goblin can resist a treat. "I sure hope its pickled pigs feet."

Splurg urges his horse forward, staying just behind Geben.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-16, 08:28 AM
You reach the river after four hours of riding, and Geben pull out pots and pans from his pack.

"Goin to cook up some rations of cured meat! Never before will you have seen the likes!"

niks97cobra
2010-12-16, 09:36 AM
Splurg keeps a close eye on the cook, he knows little about cooking meats, most of what he knows the elves have taught him, so he is eager to learn the cooking secrets of a dwarf. He tries to make a bit of friendly conversation.

"Well, that ride wasn't too bad. Will we make it to your family's halls tomorrow?"

promurphy
2010-12-16, 09:42 AM
Phew! After that ride I need to walk a bit. Ned begins to circle the others, starting off somewhat bow-legged and slowly returning to normal. I'm looking foward to trying that food my good man, I sure am starved. As he talks he's massaging the inside of his legs. He quietly says, "Man am I sore..."

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-16, 12:06 PM
Phew! After that ride I need to walk a bit. Ned begins to circle the others, starting off somewhat bow-legged and slowly returning to normal. I'm looking foward to trying that food my good man, I sure am starved. As he talks he's massaging the inside of his legs. He quietly says, "Man am I sore..."

"You all wanted to keep riding. We'll be at my family's halls by nightfall tomorrow if we ride like this again."

promurphy
2010-12-16, 12:47 PM
"You all wanted to keep riding. We'll be at my family's halls by nightfall tomorrow if we ride like this again."

If that's what is safest, I say we do that. My legs will loosen up soon enough.

Ned whistles a tune that may or may not be helping his legs return to normal. It is hard to tell where his goofiness/awkwardness ends and his bardic magic begins.

niks97cobra
2010-12-16, 04:17 PM
"We should definitely ride like this tomorrow, that way we can enter the halls the following morning. We might want to camp somewhere safe near your family's hall." The goblin waits patiently for the food, eager to bed down and rest. "I will take first watch."

niks97cobra
2010-12-18, 01:25 PM
Splurg relaxes as he eats the delicious meal the dwarf has prepared for them. He doesn't say much, but attempts to make small talk with the gnome. "So tell me about your homeland, I know little about the gnome culture."

promurphy
2010-12-19, 08:57 AM
"Well gnome culture certainly isn't my culture. What I mean is gnomes in general are more interested in advancing technology at all costs and are a somewhat aggressive group. It is a stereotype that is negative, and still follows me around today. It's easy to recognize how you three look at me, that it still follows me to this day, which I understand. Gnomes are nasty to others in the wars before the Cataclysm."

Ned changes from a somber tone to a happier, whimsical one, and continues, "But my small town, my family, was not entirely like that. We loved technology, certainly - I mean I tinkered with my fair share of silly inventions like my harmonic-crossbow here - but I was never interested in war. Battle? Yes. Adventure? Certainly! But war over an entire people or peoples? Nah. Too much generalization. To much unnatural death..." as he says that he realizes he probably came off odd so he stops.

"But the long short of it is, my town never saw war. When the world was falling apart around us, we just hunkered down more and stayed out of it. That's why most of my group survived instead of dieing in the war or the cataclysm. We were called cowards by other gnomish societies that knew of us, but I rather be called a coward and not fight in a pointless war, than kill people pointlessly."

niks97cobra
2010-12-19, 12:53 PM
"As Arawai says, 'Everyone deserves to live their life as they want.' Your town sounds like a fantastic place." The goblin lights up his pipe and puffs on it. Letting his food settle.

"Everyone get some sleep, I will awake you when it is your turn to watch."

promurphy
2010-12-20, 08:20 AM
"Everyone get some sleep, I will awake you when it is your turn to watch."[/QUOTE]

And so Ned does.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-21, 01:34 AM
OOC: Splurg, make listen and spot rolls

niks97cobra
2010-12-21, 02:39 PM
Spot: [roll0]

Listen:[roll1]

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-21, 10:43 PM
Nothing of note occurs while you are on watch. Geben takes over the watch after you, and remains on watch until dawn, staring off into the distance.

niks97cobra
2010-12-22, 04:30 PM
Splurg rises early and sits in prayer, preparing for the right forth. He munches on some trail rations and waits for everyone to be ready. Once everyone is ready, he says, "Lets get moving, we got a long ride ahead of us."

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-22, 11:02 PM
Splurg rises early and sits in prayer, preparing for the right forth. He munches on some trail rations and waits for everyone to be ready. Once everyone is ready, he says, "Lets get moving, we got a long ride ahead of us."

"Indeed, I ache to get out of this sun and into the warm halls of my fathers!"

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-30, 11:35 PM
Your companion shows you to the ruined archway that used to mark the gate into his family's domain.

"This gate stood for ages before many armies, and it pains me to see it in ruins now."

niks97cobra
2010-12-31, 07:06 PM
Splurg looks up at the ruins, and then at the sky.

Is the gate crumpled or is it intact?
Can we see inside?
Does it appear to be locked?
What time of day is it?

Vladislav
2011-01-02, 05:43 PM
Ah, we're here, finally!

Eager to have his legs touch the ground, Gormil jumps off his steed. A dwarf's normal place is not on the back of a beast, dangling three feet in the air, that's for sure.

Gormil examines the gate's construction and masonry, peering inside with darkvision if possible. He wonders what kind of metals or gems can be mined in the area. He also scratches his head to recall any legends of Geben's familial halls.

[roll0] Profession (Miner)
[roll1] Knowledge (History)

promurphy
2011-01-03, 08:12 AM
Ned slowly drools off of his steed. Begins looking around at his surroundings and stretches his legs a bit.

"Well, we got here without incident. I'd hate to jinx ourselves, but I do hope the rest of this adventure remains as quiet."

Sir_Chivalry
2011-01-03, 03:39 PM
Ned slowly drools off of his steed. Begins looking around at his surroundings and stretches his legs a bit.

"Well, we got here without incident. I'd hate to jinx ourselves, but I do hope the rest of this adventure remains as quiet."

The specifics of the gate elude you, but you recall that the family had a guardian creature, a sphinx, that laired in its halls. The creature may yet be here.

The opening is unobstructed but dark, no doors remain, simply a gaping hole to walk through.

It is midday.

Vladislav
2011-01-04, 08:01 AM
Well, shall we go? Now, underground, that is a place for a Dwarf to be. Gormil kneels and touches the ground, praying to Moradin to bless this enterprise, then takes a look at his allies; unless someone indicated they have further preparations before entry, he steps into the gaping maw of darkness.

And keep your eyes open for any sphinxes... probably just an old legend, but you never know.

niks97cobra
2011-01-04, 04:06 PM
"Let us do this," Splurg says, laughing to himself that he, a goblin, is about to delve into a dungeon with a pair of dwarves.

The goblin leads the way through the entrance way, lighting a sunrod as he does.

Vladislav
2011-01-04, 04:35 PM
Gormil shields his eyes from the sudden light ... What's that? I thought you goblins share our dwarven ability to see in the underground darkness?

niks97cobra
2011-01-04, 11:43 PM
"We goblins of Shadowfell Keep do not live underground. While we haven't adapted to the trees like the elves, we prefer the light of day. The teachings of Arawai have taught me the beauty of the trees and the light," Splurg replies to the dwarf.

Vladislav
2011-01-05, 09:59 AM
Gormil's surprised to hear that. A race of creatures born and bred underground that would voluntarily give away these gifts for ... beauty of the trees? What a strange choice of words. Trees are beauitful? Oh well, to each his own. He says nothing, merely tries to keep the light from shining straight into his eyes and moves along, peering cautiously into the darkness.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-01-14, 01:21 PM
Geben snorts at this talk of beautiful trees

"Trees are just wood. They stand in groves, you cut them down. They stoke your fires and metal your forges."

And with that Geben walks into his ancestral home, looking around as he does.

niks97cobra
2011-01-14, 03:44 PM
Splurg follows Geben into the ancestral hall.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-01-18, 10:49 AM
OOC: Okie, onwards

The area is quite dark, but Geben continues on, warning you of uneven ground as you go.

Vladislav
2011-01-18, 11:05 AM
A timely warning.

Having spent his life underground, Gormil learned to be wary of the dangers of shoddy masonry.

Spot [roll0], add +2 to notice dangerous or irregular stonework

Sir_Chivalry
2011-01-19, 10:32 AM
Gormil notices some uneven flooring and manages to avoid it, along with the rest of ther party (I assume Gormil's nice enough to point out dangerous flooring)

The group comes to a locked stone door.

Geben asks, "Does anyone have some lockpicks?"

Vladislav
2011-01-19, 10:35 AM
Gormil shakes his head. The church of Moradin trains its adepts in many things, but breaking and entering is not one of them.

One would think he has keys for his ancestral home. Oh well, maybe he lost them.

niks97cobra
2011-01-19, 11:54 AM
Splurg is slightly insulted to think he would have any kind of lock picks. The paladin has not stolen anything since he was converted to Arawai. "Nay, but even though I am small, I might be able to bash something down if need be."

Vladislav
2011-01-20, 12:26 AM
I'd rather we look for a less destructive way in. Can't we take some time feeling around before we start bashing things?

Assuming no one objects, Gormil will take 20 on Search (for a total of 23, because it's a stone door, hurray!), to notice any hidden triggers or opening mechanisms.