PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Alchemist’s Fire in weapon.

Fenryr
2010-12-05, 03:00 AM
Happened today.

In a campaign in Eberron, we fight three swarms. No one had good spells and no elemental weapons. Suddenly, our Warforged says: "Hey, I have Alchemist's Fire. I throw it!" Worked for a while 'til he had only 3 left and the swarm were still bitting us. And says "Hey! May I sprinkle my sword with Alchemist's Fire? Elemental damage, baby!"

The DM said: "What?"

The result was a temporary flaming sword.

The DM allowed it in the end 'cuz the book doesn't say if it's really a liquid or if it can be used to fire without throwing it. Because the sword swings the DM made him throw a d4 and lasted those rounds. No damage was done to the sword because fire does half damage to metal and the hardnesss applies.

What you guys think? It's possible and/or valid?

Cespenar
2010-12-05, 03:12 AM
The original Neverwinter Nights computer game allowed you to do this, IIRC. It made the weapon deal +1 fire damage, or something like that.

WarrenZig
2010-12-05, 03:15 AM
Alchemist's Fire is a sticky substance that ignites when it contacts air so it's possible for it to be used on a weapon, but it only lasts for one round and there would most likely be a hazard involved with applying it to a weapon.

In all honesty it would probably only add 1 damage to your attack the next round do to the fire's 1d6 damage relying on the bottle actually releasing the substance onto a target directly, with 1 point of damage to anyone within 5 feet.

Escheton
2010-12-05, 03:29 AM
Like a heavy aspergilium or however it's spelled, but instead of holy water you want to hit people with burning embers?

There is a weapon crystal that does that.

And both A&EG and RotW have arrows that ignite the target on contact(dc 15 ref save to avoid ignition)

Fitz10019
2010-12-05, 03:40 AM
Alchemist's fire burns for two rounds. Allowing this to work seems okay at first glance, but should this work for all 3 or 4 attacks in one round (full attack, haste, AoOs, Snake's Swiftness, etc.), and then continue to work the second round? Or should the substance transfer to one target after one successful attack (as poison does)?

Ionizer
2010-12-05, 06:09 AM
Just so you know, there's already an item that does that. QuickFlame Weapon Capsules (CAdv. pg 122) make a weapon deal +1d6 fire damage for one round (if properly used, they're activated as a swift action). It should affect all attacks during your turn and any AoO's you make until your next turn.

Since there's already a precedent, the "improvised version" (Alchemist's Fire poured on a weapon) should be strictly worse than the "real" version. I'd say it takes a standard action to apply (but since AlchFire burns for two rounds, the fire stays on the weapon for two rounds, so it would affect any AoO's you make before your next turn and all your attacks on your next turn, and any AoO's you make between your next turn and the turn after it). Since it's not made for that purpose, I'd say it deals less damage (being generous, I'd say it does the same as a Torch against swarms: +1d3 fire damage). Also, I'd maybe apply the Posion use rule for it, since it's not made to be used like that: 5% chance of burning yourself when applying, and a Natural One on an attack roll exposes you to the flame.

nyarlathotep
2010-12-05, 07:09 AM
There is also the alchemical blade from magic of eberron.

true_shinken
2010-12-05, 08:52 AM
There is also the alchemical blade from magic of eberron.

I love this weapon. I really do.

Fenryr
2010-12-05, 04:49 PM
Thanks a lot, everyone (: Gonna show this thread to my DM. Cheers!

Greenish
2010-12-05, 05:14 PM
I love this weapon. I really do.The idea is cool. The execution… well, if they'd tried, they could've made it suck more, I guess, but it'd been hard.

In fact, the aforementioned weapon capsule retainer does the pretty much the same, but doesn't require EWP to use.

Doughnut Master
2010-12-05, 07:46 PM
The other week, my Monk used a flask of Alchemist's Fire by crushing it in his hand as he punched a giant.

Took fire damage on account of lighting my hand on fire. But sometimes that's just the price for awesome.

Escheton
2010-12-05, 08:26 PM
The other week, my Monk used a flask of Alchemist's Fire by crushing it in his hand as he punched a giant.

Took fire damage on account of lighting my hand on fire. But sometimes that's just the price for awesome.

bonus points if it was an ice giant or troll.

ericgrau
2010-12-05, 08:32 PM
A torch can be swung for 1d3 fire damage against swarms. I'd say putting alchemists fire on your weapon is a standard action that gives you an improvised torch for 2 rounds. A real torch or wrapping your weapon in rags and soaking those with oil or more alchemists fire would last much longer.

Fortunately swarms are pretty weak so any simple method of dealing piddly damage will eventually finish them off without the PCs getting hurt too much.

Escheton
2010-12-05, 10:01 PM
swarms are terrible actually. They deal dmg regardless of armor and such. Can only be hurt by area effects or swarmstrike weapons. And the higher lvl ones like those brainy rat swarms are horrific.

Elfstone
2010-12-05, 10:06 PM
Pah. Fireball is the solution.
Fireball is always the solution.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-05, 10:16 PM
Pah. Fireball is the solution.
Fireball is always the solution.
Try that on a Cinder Swarm (Monster Manual III). :smalltongue:

Elfstone
2010-12-05, 10:37 PM
The solutions there is obvious... (Cold) Element substitution...

LOTRfan
2010-12-05, 10:41 PM
"Ice Storm is the answer.
Ice storm is always the answer."
:smalltongue:

Elfstone
2010-12-05, 11:03 PM
Fire storm is the real answer.

Eldariel
2010-12-06, 04:04 AM
Fire storm is the real answer.

Maw of Chaos u.