PDA

View Full Version : Exotic weapons that count as unarmed?

Quietus
2010-12-05, 08:59 AM
I'm looking for something similar to the way a regular Gauntlet works.. the Gauntlet is an attack "as though making an unarmed strike, except you count as armed", or somesuch. Is there any Exotic weapon with a similar wording?

The reason is this : In Magic of Incarnum, there exists the Mauling Gloves. They give a bonus to unarmed damage when you invest essentia into them; I'm wondering how effective a "monk" build one could make using an Incarnate, and was thinking about using a level or two in Exotic Weapon Master to pick up a Flurry effect, rather than having to dip Monk or go Unapproachable East for Shou Master.

Other easily-accessible sources of Flurry-like options are acceptable, and snap kick will certainly be involved.

Greenish
2010-12-05, 10:08 AM
Gauntlets don't make your unarmed strikes armed, they only allow dealing lethal damage.

Going by memory, A&EG has Ward Cestus and perhaps some others.

theMycon
2010-12-05, 10:11 AM
Also, gauntlets may or may not be unarmed strikes, depending on how much your DM hates monks. They are listed as unarmed attacks.

Grynning
2010-12-05, 10:14 AM
A two-level dip in monk actually isn't bad on an incarnum chassis, especially if you want flurry of blows. You get feats, including Imp. Unarmed Strike for free, which you can supplement with superior unarmed strike, and two levels of all good saves. You don't have to worry as much about the MADness of the monk since you'll be shoring up the weaknesses with soulmelds.

The recent Drunken Master IC competition used the only three classes that grant Flurry as far as I know: Shou Disciple, Disciple of the Eye (from Dragon Magic, I think), and Monk.

Quietus
2010-12-05, 10:18 AM
Oh yeah, Disciple of the Eye... I'll have to look into that. As to the Monk dip, it becomes mildly redundant because Mauling Gauntlets give Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat, in addition to their other benefits. This might be when bound to the Hands, though.. I'd have to check, I'm just toying with thoughts for now.

I'll also have to check on the Ward Cestus, thanks!

true_shinken
2010-12-05, 10:22 AM
Sword & Fist has bladed gauntlets though I'm not sure if they work like you want (because I read it a long long time ago)

Kelb_Panthera
2010-12-05, 03:56 PM
Oh yeah, Disciple of the Eye... I'll have to look into that. As to the Monk dip, it becomes mildly redundant because Mauling Gauntlets give Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat, in addition to their other benefits. This might be when bound to the Hands, though.. I'd have to check, I'm just toying with thoughts for now.

I'll also have to check on the Ward Cestus, thanks!

Mauling gauntlets give IUS, but the monk level gives a bigger damage die.