PDA

View Full Version : Revamped Arcane Duelist

BeholderSlayer
2010-12-05, 01:47 PM
This is an adaptation that makes the class printed on the web, Arcane Duelist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a) a little better than junk. It used to be 10 levels long and had something like 2 good class features, and 1 halfway decent one.

Arcane Duelist

Hit Dice: d8.

Requirements

To qualify to become an arcane duelist, a character must fulfill the following criteria.

Base Attack Bonus: +4.
Skills: Perform 5 ranks, Tumble 5 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks
Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Weapon Proficiency (rapier, short sword, dagger, or any variation of these weapons as given in Sword and Fist).
Spellcasting: Able to cast 1st-level arcane spells.

Class Skills

The arcane duelist's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Perform (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex). See Chapter 4: Skills in the Player's Handbook for skill descriptions.

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+2|Chosen Weapon, Enchant Weapon|--

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+3|Apparent Defense, Dexterous Attack|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+3|Blur, False Keenness|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+4|Mirror Image|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

5th|
+5|
+2|
+4|
+4|Flurry of Swords|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class[/table]

Chosen Weapon: Since much of the arcane duelist's apparent ability is tied to magic, the arcane duelist can imbue a specific melee weapon with powers to make herself appear more skilled. The arcane duelist must choose a specific melee weapon to be her chosen weapon. If that melee weapon is lost, she can choose another, but it takes seven days for a chosen weapon to bond to the arcane duelist so that she can use it with other powers of this class. The weapon chosen must be a one handed melee weapon.

Enchant Chosen Weapon (Ex): The arcane duelist's chosen melee weapon acts as if it has an enhancement bonus, even if it does not. If it does have an enhancement bonus, the arcane duelist adds this bonus to the weapon as an effective bonus. This can bring a weapon's effective enhancement bonus above +10. This class-granted bonus works only for the arcane duelist when wielding her chosen melee weapon. The enhancement bonus applied is equal to the number of Arcane Duelist class levels the character has.

Apparent Defense (Ex): Due to trickery and force of personality, the arcane duelist adds her Charisma bonus to her Armor Class, in addition to her Dexterity bonus. Conditions that cause the arcane duelist to lose her Dexterity bonus to Armor Class also cause the arcane duelist to lose this bonus.

Dexterous Attack (Ex): Because the arcane duelist values successful hits over actual damage dealt, she can subtract damage from her chosen melee weapon's potential damage and add the same amount to her attack bonus. However, the weapon must do a minimum 1 point of damage. For example, the arcane duelist who wields a rapier as her chosen weapon can subtract up to 5 points from the damage, since the rapier has a damage potential of 6 points, and add that to her attack bonus. If she were wielding a +3 rapier, she could subtract up to 8 points from damage, since the weapon has a damage potential of 9 points, and add that to her attack bonus. The arcane duelist declares this power before rolling her attack, and the amount subtracted cannot exceed her base attack bonus.

Blur (Sp): The arcane duelist can activate a blur effect, as the spell cast by a caster of her arcane duelist level times two. She can use this power twice per day per arcane duelist level.

False Keenness (Ex): To create the idea that she is more effective than she really is, the arcane duelist can make her chosen melee weapon keen once per day per arcane duelist level. To activate the keen effect, she must subtract the weapon's normal threat range for critical hits from her attack bonus. For example, if the arcane duelist wields a rapier, she must subtract 3 from her attack bonus, since the rapier has a threat range of 18-20, to make it keen. The keen effect lasts for 1 round per arcane duelist level, and it does not stack with the keen edge spell or other magical effects that make a weapon keen. The ability does stack with the increased threat range granted by the Improved Critical feat and by a keen magic weapon. If the arcane duelist uses this power in conjunction with the dexterous attack power, the damage dealt by a critical hit is reduced by the weapon's critical multiplier. Thus, the arcane duelist wielding a rapier and using dexterous attack to reduce the damage by 4 on her rapier has it reduced by 12 if she scores a critical hit using this power. The weapon must still do a minimum 1 point of damage.

Mirror Image (Sp): The arcane duelist can activate mirror image effect as the spell cast by a caster of two times her arcane duelist level.

Flurry of Swords (Ex): The pinnacle of the arcane duelist's power is to create a flurry of sword attacks against a single target. When this power is activated, the arcane duelist makes one additional attack that round at her highest base attack bonus, but each attack that round suffers a -2 penalty. This extra attack stacks with the one granted by the Haste spell. All attacks must be made on the same opponent. Further, the arcane duelist creates 1d4 quasi-real images plus 1 additional image per three levels of arcane duelist. Each image attacks the same opponent as the arcane duelist herself using the same bonuses as the arcane duelist, and any hits do subdual damage to the target. This power is usable once per day per arcane duelist level, but only once per day against any opponent. It requires the full-attack action to use this power, and activation is considered part of the full attack routine for that round. Aside from these differences, the images act as the mirror image spell.

nemain
2010-12-06, 12:02 PM
My urge is to compare this to Abjurant Champion, since that's a 5-level full BAB gish class. It has two good saves whereas the Abjurant Champion has only one, but it loses a caster level where Abjurant Champion is full casting, so I'd say that works out well (in fact, losing a caster level is probably a steeper penalty). On the other hand, I would definitely limit the Charisma to AC at first level - maybe uncap it at the 4th or 5th level of this prestige class? Otherwise it might be too dippable. I really like what you've done with this, though!

BeholderSlayer
2010-12-06, 07:55 PM
My urge is to compare this to Abjurant Champion, since that's a 5-level full BAB gish class. It has two good saves whereas the Abjurant Champion has only one, but it loses a caster level where Abjurant Champion is full casting, so I'd say that works out well (in fact, losing a caster level is probably a steeper penalty). On the other hand, I would definitely limit the Charisma to AC at first level - maybe uncap it at the 4th or 5th level of this prestige class? Otherwise it might be too dippable. I really like what you've done with this, though!

A couple comments:
- You get charisma to AC at second level, after already having lost a CL. It's a nice bonus, but it's not crazy either.
- I am probably going to adjust the prereqs to make it conceivably possible to enter at level 5, the way most PrC's are. I don't see any reason this should be a middle to high level PrC exclusively.

Fizban
2010-12-06, 11:46 PM
I think some of these abilities could be much better worded (and a few need other changes), so here goes:

Chosen Weapon: Since much of the arcane duelist's apparent ability is tied to magic, the arcane duelist can imbue a specific melee weapon with powers to make herself appear more skilled. The arcane duelist may choose a specific one-handed melee weapon to be her chosen weapon. Bonding with the weapon requires the arcane duelist to carry it for one week, but otherwise takes no time or resources. During this time the arcane duelist may not use any abilities that require her chosen weapon.

Enchant Chosen Weapon (Ex): The arcane duelist's chosen melee weapon acts as if it has an enhancement bonus, even if it does not. It gains an enhancement bonus equal to the arcane duelist's class level (maximum +5). This does not stack with temporary enhancement bonuses such as those granted by Greater Magic Weapon, however it does stack with the permanent enhancement bonus of a magic weapon. This can increase a weapon's enhancement bonus above +5, and/or it's total abilities beyond +10.

Apparent Defense (Ex): Due to trickery and force of personality, the arcane duelist adds her Charisma bonus to her Armor Class in addition to her Dexterity bonus. Conditions that cause the arcane duelist to lose her Dexterity bonus to Armor Class also cause the arcane duelist to lose this bonus.

Dexterous Attack (Ex): Because the arcane duelist values successful hits over actual damage dealt, she learns how to subtract damage from her chosen melee weapon's potential damage and add the same amount to her attack bonus. The penalty taken must be less than the maximum base damage of the weapon plus enhancement bonuses, and may also not exceed the user's base attack bonus. For example, an arcane duelist who wields a rapier as her chosen weapon can subtract up to 5 points from the damage, since the rapier has a damage potential of 6 points, and add that to her attack bonus. If she were wielding a +3 rapier, she could subtract up to 8 points from damage, since the weapon has a damage potential of 9 points, and add that to her attack bonus. The arcane duelist declares this power before rolling her attack, and the bonuses and penalties last until her next turn. This ability may not be used with a weapon wielded in more than one hand. [specified that bonuses and penalties last the whole round, disallowed power attack combo by removing two-handed use]

Blur (Sp): The arcane duelist can use Blur as a swift action once per day per class level, at a caster level equal to her class level. [lowered uses and CL, reduced to swift action]

False Keenness (Ex): To create the idea that she is more effective than she really is, the arcane duelist can make her chosen melee weapon keen once per day per arcane duelist level. To use this ability, she must take a swift action and subtract the weapon's normal threat range for critical hits from her attack bonus. For example, if the arcane duelist wields a rapier, she must subtract 3 from her attack bonus, because the rapier has a threat range of 18-20 (three numbers). The effect (including the attack penalty) lasts for 1 round per class level, and doubles the threat range of her chosen weapon. This ability does not stack with temporary effects that increase a weapon's threat range, such as a Keen Edge spell, but it does stack with the Improved Critical feat and the permanent Keen and Impact magic weapon abilities. [specified actions, deleted crit damage penalty part: the damage penalty from dexterous attack should already be multiplied by the crit].

Mirror Image (Sp): The arcane duelist can use Mirror Image as a swift action once per day per class level, with a caster level equal to her class level. [same adjustments as Blur]

Flurry of Swords (Ex): The pinnacle of the arcane duelist's power is to create a flurry of sword attacks against a single target. This ability may be used once per day per class level as part of a full attack action, and no more than once per day against a particular opponent. The arcane duelist makes one additional attack at her highest base attack bonus, but each attack that round suffers a -2 penalty. This extra attack stacks with those granted by the Haste spell and similar effects. All attacks must target same opponent. In addition to these, the arcane duelist creates 1d4+2 quasi-real images that attack alongside her, also targeting the same foe. The images each make one attack with the same bonus as the arcane duelist at her full base attack bonus. They deal the same damage as her normal attacks, except they do not benefit from temporary spells cast upon her weapon and all damage is non-lethal (they do benefit from permanent magic weapon enhancements and class abilities, however). After the attack, the images persist as the Mirror Image spell at the same caster level as her Mirror Image ability. [clarified temporary effects for images, caster level of persisting images]
There's wording changes in everything, and a few altered mechanics that I thought should change. Other than that, it's a great update to the Arcane Duelist to bring it in line with the Abjurant Champion. I'd gladly take it for a sorcerer gish. The only sad thing that that the AC is still so awesome that this can't replace it, only be taken alongside.

Gorgondantess
2010-12-06, 11:56 PM
This can be entered at 4th level by, say, a duskblade. The general consensus is that PrCs should only be enterable by 5th level: every single WotC template is, at least. Is this intentional?

BeholderSlayer
2010-12-07, 10:41 AM
This can be entered at 4th level by, say, a duskblade. The general consensus is that PrCs should only be enterable by 5th level: every single WotC template is, at least. Is this intentional?

I haven't completed changing the prereqs. I'm going to add a required skill rank of some type to 8, but I haven't decided which yet. Spellcraft probably...

There's wording changes in everything, and a few altered mechanics that I thought should change. Other than that, it's a great update to the Arcane Duelist to bring it in line with the Abjurant Champion. I'd gladly take it for a sorcerer gish. The only sad thing that that the AC is still so awesome that this can't replace it, only be taken alongside.

Some of this I like, other stuff I am not sure about. I wanted to preserve the class level effects of blur and mirror image from the original form, therefore I utilized 2 x Arcane Duelist level. The original has 10 levels. I'll have to think about the actions though. It might be worth changing them from the original if they could be used as immediate actions.

edit: okay, prereqs fixed. have to think about the blur and mirror image.