PDA

View Full Version : Low level PF party; what should I roll?

Kifo
2010-12-05, 07:21 PM
Hiya, I'm playing Pathfinder with a group of friends and we each take turn being the DM so everyone gets to play.

Soon my tour as the DM will be over, but I'm having a hard time deciding what to play.

The party consists of a elven conjuration wizard, a human druid with bear pall, a half-elf bard and last the gnomish dragon sorcerer that will be taking over as DM.

From my perspective as DM I have made the following observations:

Right now the party relies heavy on the wiz and sorc to stun/blind/grease the hostiles into submission.

The AC and HP of the party is fairly low, with the druid having the highest AC at 18 and his bear has the most HP at 15.

So what I'm thinking is that either I should roll up a caster to make sure that the party heaps of crowd control, or a beefy defender to hold down the front when the crowd controlling fails.

When I join the party everyone will be level 3-4, my new character included.
Everything published by Paizo is legit, nothing from 3.5 or third party.

So, do you guys have any insight to spare or ideas to share?

Gavinfoxx
2010-12-05, 07:35 PM
*Checks* Ah, pathfinder druids can get bears at level 1 it seems.

Well, they have tanking done (Druid/Companion), healing covered (Druid), battlefield control covered (Conjurer), Social/most skills covered (Bard)...

hmmm, maybe i'd go utility and the skills they don't have? Maybe Factotum, maybe Psychic Rogue? Focus on skills that they don't have, or obscure powers that the group doesn't have access to? Or Artificer maybe? Most of the party is Tier 1. Maybe a Factotum1/Archivist rest? I dunno...

Psyren
2010-12-05, 07:41 PM
Yes, you need a skillmonkey. A Beguiler is also a nice choice, because enemies won't be able to tell which monsters are real (from the Conjurer) or your own illusions.

Kifo
2010-12-05, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the responses guys :smallsmile: , but right now only classes from Pathfinder material is allowed, no DnD 3.5.

The people I play with are pity relaxed and understand that none wanna play a really weak character. So maybe a 3.5 class could be okey'ed.

Greenish
2010-12-05, 07:54 PM
Cavalier or fighter for some more melee power wouldn't go amiss.

Rogue for a different set of skills than the bard and some more damage could work too.

Psyren
2010-12-05, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the responses guys :smallsmile: , but right now only classes from Pathfinder material is allowed, no DnD 3.5.

In that case I can only suggest rogue...?

Gavinfoxx
2010-12-05, 08:31 PM
What were some of the classes that got a major, major boost in power level in the pathfinder srd?

The_Scourge
2010-12-05, 08:37 PM
Check out Alchemist in the APG. It's by far my new favorite utility class. They can huck bombs for ranged damage and battlefield control, chug a mutagen for cqc and they've got a decent spell list.
Or for a little different flavour, go summoner. Nice buffing and battlefield control spells and a pet that can outdo any druid Animal Companion and most fighters.

As far as what got a boost? Paladins, Rangers, Rogues, Sorcerers, Fighters.

grarrrg
2010-12-05, 08:41 PM
wizard...druid...bard...sorcerer

All are at least partial casters, and it is (so far) a low level game. You have a definate lack of full-bab. You could probably also use some help in the skills department.
I recommend Ranger. d10 hd, full Bab, 6sp. Specifically the Urban Ranger (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger) variant. Urban Rangers gain Disable Device and Trapfinding, for an effective replacement for the Rogue.
Basically, you instantly fill every role the party is currently missing.

GoatBoy
2010-12-05, 08:59 PM
I suggest Inquisitor, because I think they're the best thing ever. Use your Judgments to fill in whatever needs doing (higher AC, more damage) and keep one healing spell ready.

Or Summoner, and be the tank/melee plus crowd control.

Kifo
2010-12-05, 09:15 PM
First of, thanks for the responses, didn't really know if I would get any at all.

Before the game session I DMed today, I was thinking that I'd roll a Summoner or Alchemist. But in almost all the fights one or more chars got knocked out in one swing. Now I know that that will probably won't be true in a couple of levels, still that made me think about what the party needs.

Right now Paladin and Ranger are the top contender classes among the full bab guys for me. Having some spell casting brings some nice nice power and variation. Advanced Player’s Guide adds some neat spells for them both. Am I missing some really good argument for rolling a Fighter or Cavalier?

I hadn't thought about rolling a skillmonky because when I played 3.5 it felt like the wizard made that party role more or less pointless, do you guys think that will be the case in PF too? (The wizard in question was a Batman model Incantatrix.)

Psyren
2010-12-05, 09:26 PM
All are at least partial casters, and it is (so far) a low level game. You have a definate lack of full-bab. You could probably also use some help in the skills department.
I recommend Ranger. d10 hd, full Bab, 6sp. Specifically the Urban Ranger (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger) variant. Urban Rangers gain Disable Device and Trapfinding, for an effective replacement for the Rogue.
Basically, you instantly fill every role the party is currently missing.

I'm going to throw my vote behind this, I forgot about Urban Rangers completely. Skillmonkeys are not my strong suit.

Crossblade
2010-12-05, 10:58 PM
I'm surprised nobody said Cleric yet. It can heal to keep party members up, and if you worship Erastil you can get longbow proficiency. That way you can stay in the back row, giving support damage and rush in to heal/heal burst as needed.

Granted, the druid can be the healer, but I've never been a fan of Reincarnation.

Amphetryon
2010-12-06, 07:44 AM
A witch (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch)! Burn, I mean, play her.

Greenish
2010-12-06, 08:44 AM
Right now Paladin and Ranger are the top contender classes among the full bab guys for me. Having some spell casting brings some nice nice power and variation. Advanced Player’s Guide adds some neat spells for them both. Am I missing some really good argument for rolling a Fighter or Cavalier?You don't have to be a goody two-shoes. :smalltongue:

But true enough, PF paladin is pretty good too. Rangers I'm not too familiar with.

Sir Swindle89
2010-12-06, 09:21 AM
If you do a summoner you can spec your edilon into skill monkeying (pick your own class skills) and evolution surge highly skilled when needed. But the conjurer is probably going step on your toes a lot.

Paladin or Cleric for healing and melee. Or Rogue for skill monkeying is my suggestion.

mafddawg
2010-12-06, 09:27 AM
Play a monk, this party definatley needs a monk, monks are awesome.

Also, I'm not a half-elf you jackass, i'm a human =P

subject42
2010-12-06, 10:36 AM
Play a barbarian that the party hires as a manservant/bodyguard.

Take a liking to the druid's bear.

Frequently claim that the bear is yours.

Try to steal the bear.

Human Barbarian 4 - Invulnerable Rager Variant:

Stats: Lots of strength and CON. Otherwise who cares, it's a barbarian.

Rage Powers: Animal Fury, Clear Mind.

Feats: Power Attack!, Improved Initiative, Furious Focus

Weapons: Falchion

Armor: Some sort of light armor.

TakeABow
2010-12-06, 11:08 AM
Inquisitor (Advanced Players Guide) is quite strong. I would look into it.

Sillycomic
2010-12-06, 11:36 AM
Yes, Inquisitor or paladin. That's what you should go with.

Paladin became awesome, and Inquisitor is filled with awesome and has some awesome sauce sprinkled on top.

Grelna the Blue
2010-12-06, 12:28 PM
What were some of the classes that got a major, major boost in power level in the pathfinder srd?

Pallies. Major, major, major boost. We've got one in the game I run and so far (party is at 7th level) he has been dominating the damage done, is an okay offhealer, and has yet to fail a save.

Nelzy
2010-12-06, 01:46 PM
Arcaknight from Pathfinder Compatible New Classes in Stonehelm campaign.

cfalcon
2010-12-06, 04:10 PM
I play a summoner in org play, and that class sure seems fantastic at low levels. I'm not to middle levels yet, but seriously, so fun.

Amiel
2010-12-06, 07:28 PM
I also heartily agree with suggestions for the Inquisitor. They are crazy good (well not in an alignment or literal sense), but they have rather excellent powers and are capable buffers (spells and skill bonuses), devoted teamplayers (via teamwork feats). Also, as they level their access to teamwork feats increases, meaning not only will you have fun playing the class, so too will the other players.

Shinigaze
2010-12-06, 11:50 PM
Cavalier with Kitty mount, order of the sword. At eight level you get to add in your mount's strength to damage rolls, and unless I'm mistaken the kitty's pounce lets you get your full attack after a movement action. Plus if you dump all of the kitty's attribute bonuses from level up into strength, at 20th level you can down a terrasque in one hit.