PDA

View Full Version : Fireball based grenades (3.5)

sleepydwarf
2010-12-06, 01:04 AM
Hiya,

Awhile ago I came across a wonderous item that was basically a "frozen" fireball spell. It would remain "frozen" basically until it was broken by being thrown against a hard item, such as a wall or even the floor.

Now the problem I have is this, I cant find the item in any of the books I have, nor can I find it online again :smallfrown:

Anyone know of any crafted wonderour item that works like I have described and where I can find more information about it from?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance offered

Sleepydwarf

The_Admiral
2010-12-06, 01:13 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#necklaceofFireballs *bows*

bloodtide
2010-12-06, 01:15 AM
Well, the Necklace of Fireballs does this.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicitems/wondrousitems.htm#necklaceofFireballs

Kelb_Panthera
2010-12-06, 01:16 AM
Hiya,

Awhile ago I came across a wonderous item that was basically a "frozen" fireball spell. It would remain "frozen" basically until it was broken by being thrown against a hard item, such as a wall or even the floor.

Now the problem I have is this, I cant find the item in any of the books I have, nor can I find it online again :smallfrown:

Anyone know of any crafted wonderour item that works like I have described and where I can find more information about it from?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance offered

Sleepydwarf

I don't know about the item you're talking about, but if you take an explosive delayed blast fireball pellet, and coat it in quintessence, you get an instant grenade. When you're ready to use it, scrape away the quintessence, and throw. Depending on how long the fireball was delayed, you get between 1 and 4 rounds before it detonates. I call 'em fish egg bombs.

Incanur
2010-12-06, 02:35 AM
The ancient spell Shalantha's delicate disk from Lost Empires of Faerun can probably function as a grenade as well.

Darrin
2010-12-06, 07:52 AM
The ancient spell Shalantha's delicate disk from Lost Empires of Faerun can probably function as a grenade as well.

Yep. 6th level, 200 GP material cost, and will store any spell up to 5th level. The disk can be broken as a standard action. The spell description doesn't explicitly give rules for throwing the disk, but anything that does at least 1 point of damage (and I don't see why throwing it wouldn't count) will break the disk and trigger the spell.

Chardalyn can also be used this way. This rock is mentioned in Lost Empires of Faerun, but the rules for throwing it are in Lords of Darkness (ranged touch attack, up to 100' with a 20' range increment), and the prices and spell levels are in the Silver Marches web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/we/we20020719a). 1000 GP for up to a 3rd level spell, 3500 for up to a 6th level spell, and 8000 for up to a 9th level spell.

A Glyph Seal (MIC p. 161) could also be attached to a thrown weapon such as a glass flask (acid, alchemist's fire, etc.). Fireball falls into that 3rd/4th level "hole" between the Lesser and Greater Glyph Seal, but you could metamagic a fireball up to 5th level. Maybe combine with a Lesser Crystal of Return or a thrown weapon with the Returning property to get your Glyph Seal back... or tell your unseen servant (http://http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8235936&postcount=8)/wood wose/familiar/animal companion/wild cohort to fetch it.

Skull Talismans (Frostburn) could also work, but I haven't found a reliable way to throw them and make them break on impact.

Heliomance
2010-12-06, 08:39 AM
Slight derail, but it reminds me of one DM I had that ruled (in a modern day setting) that all wands and staves had retributive strike - snap them, and they'd release all their charges at once in a burst.

Cue buying wands of Magic Missile and taping them to grenades.

panaikhan
2010-12-06, 09:33 AM
There is a potion variant that does exactly what you are after.
You make a 'potion' of Fireball, bake it into a ball, and it explodes when you break it. Just be careful carrying them :smallbiggrin:

grimbold
2010-12-06, 11:13 AM
ultimate prestige classes has something called "explosives expert"

Jarveiyan
2010-12-06, 11:36 PM
Although I know it's not what your looking for, theres a blast disk on page 131 of Heroes of Battle.

Mad Wizard
2010-12-06, 11:43 PM
There's also the Helm of Brilliance, although I don't think you actually THROW the gems on it.

Magdela
2010-12-06, 11:53 PM
Why not fill a book with explosive runes and then attempt to dispel it and fail?

It has so many uses!
Fill a piece of paper with a few and now you have wall-be-gone!
Put them on a folded piece of paper with a stone inside and have the fighter or barbarian throw it, hand grenade!
Cover the tips of your rouge's arrows with this paper, exploding ammo!
Put it on the toilet of your enemies!
Put them in your spellbook!
Have the fighter carry around a few pieces of explosive runes paper if he feels the need to go out with a bang!
The Barbarian can't read, have him carry a few to give to whoever you want!

Who a needs wonderous item when we have a 3rd level spell?