PDA

View Full Version : I need Dimension Door and bab+6!

true_shinken
2010-12-06, 01:43 PM
OK, so I'm trying to qualify for this class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8760711&postcount=1) asap for what seems to be a short game. My original thought was Jaunter (from Expedition to the Demonweb Pits), but the DM is banning long range teleports, so I don't think it would fly. I would go with Duskblade, mostly (with a Fighter dip at 4th to qualify for Jaunter).
But now I'm lost! This is 9th level game and I'd like to start with as much Flashblade levels as possible. Any help here, folks?

Chess435
2010-12-06, 01:47 PM
Eldritch Knight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/eldritchKnight.htm) is what you're looking for. Full BAB plus 9/10 spellcasting progression, and a fighter bonus feat at first level.

true_shinken
2010-12-06, 01:51 PM
Eldritch Knight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/eldritchKnight.htm) is what you're looking for. Full BAB plus 9/10 spellcasting progression, and a fighter bonus feat at first level.
No it's not, but thanks for answering. I need it asap. I'd need something like Wizard 6/Eldritch Knight 3 for entering. It's a 9th level game. I need at level 6, 7 or something.

EDIT: Ooooh, I think Blink Shirt might just work. It's not casting per se, but let's hope he accepts it.

Chess435
2010-12-06, 01:55 PM
Battle Sorcerer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererVariantBattleS orcerer) can get you in at level 8..... I'll keep looking.

Tyger
2010-12-06, 01:56 PM
Technically a Fighter 6 with ranks in UMD and a scroll of DD qualifies for the PrC.

Not saying it makes sense, but all the Prerequisites say is "ability to cast Dimension Door" and don't go beyond that.

arguskos
2010-12-06, 01:58 PM
Shadow-Walker Template + Full BAB Build 6 works. Shadow-Walker gets Dim Door 1/day at level 3 and 2/day at level 7, and is LA +1. You can get two levels of Flashblade in. I reaaaaally don't think there's a way to do this faster honestly.

true_shinken
2010-12-06, 01:58 PM
Technically a Fighter 6 with ranks in UMD and a scroll of DD qualifies for the PrC.

Not saying it makes sense, but all the Prerequisites say is "ability to cast Dimension Door" and don't go beyond that.

That's very cheesy and obviously not intended, so I won't focus on that.
Battle Sorcerer or Blink Shirt seems like the way to go.

gbprime
2010-12-06, 02:00 PM
Isn't Mystic Ranger always the answer? :smallamused: Add Sword of the Arcane Order feat, season to taste. Gets you Dim Door at level 8 and +8 BAB as well.

Greenish
2010-12-06, 02:00 PM
Lesser Mark of Passage gives Dimension Door 1/day as an SLA, and can be taken at 6th level. Tag it on a full BAB class (like Mystic Ranger, if you want to cast it more than once later) and enter the class right after 6th level.

Tyger
2010-12-06, 02:01 PM
That's very cheesy and obviously not intended, so I won't focus on that.
Battle Sorcerer or Blink Shirt seems like the way to go.

*chuckles* I didn't way it was. But the PrC allows it. I agree its ripey Gouda on the cheese scale, but its RAW legal.

Urpriest
2010-12-06, 02:02 PM
Duskblade with Arcane Disciple (Travel) seems like the most straightforward option.

Edit: Forgot about delayed casting of duskblades. Yeah, Mystic Ranger is the best bet.

true_shinken
2010-12-06, 02:08 PM
Isn't Mystic Ranger always the answer? :smallamused: Add Sword of the Arcane Order feat, season to taste. Gets you Dim Door at level 8 and +8 BAB as well.
That was my first though, Mystic Ranger is always the answer. :smallamused:
Unfortunately, it's an Eberron game, so no FR material.

Lesser Mark of Passage gives Dimension Door 1/day as an SLA, and can be taken at 6th level. Tag it on a full BAB class (like Mystic Ranger, if you want to cast it more than once later) and enter the class right after 6th level.
Oh, that's just what I needed! Thanks a lot Greenish, I will go with this.

Quietus
2010-12-06, 02:17 PM
That was my first though, Mystic Ranger is always the answer. :smallamused:
Unfortunately, it's an Eberron game, so no FR material.

Oh, that's just what I needed! Thanks a lot Greenish, I will go with this.

I think the Blink Shirt is a better option, personally.. the 3/4 BAB on Totemist will lower your entry by 1 or 2 levels, depending on if you multiclass out, but it says it right there in the Totem Chakra bind that you get to cast Dim Door. And I think it said at will, which would be really handy for this prestige class.

HunterOfJello
2010-12-06, 02:23 PM
I tried building a Battle Sorcerer + Lore Drake + Greater Draconic Rite of Passage build, but it didn't work out fast enough.

Your best bet is probably Cleric 8 with the Travel or Portal Domains and then Flashblade. You aren't an Arcane Caster, but you gain the benefit of Full Spellcasting Progression in a Tier 1 class.

~

Oh, if your DM will accept the Lesser Dragonmark, then that would be great. In that case, you could get there with Duskblade 6 as long as he ignores the "Spellcasting:" part of the pre-requisites. (At least take Duskblade 1 so that you can continue your spellcasting progression as the class feature later on.)

So

Human Duskblade 6/Flashblade 3
1st level feat: Least Dragonmark (Mark of Passage)
6th level feat: Lesser Dragonmark (Mark of Passag)

would be pretty great. You can always mix in other Full BAB classes into there, but Duskblade is Tier 3 and a spellcaster who will benefit from the PrC spellcasting progression.

Greenish
2010-12-06, 02:26 PM
I think the Blink Shirt is a better option, personally.. the 3/4 BAB on Totemist will lower your entry by 1 or 2 levels, depending on if you multiclass out, but it says it right there in the Totem Chakra bind that you get to cast Dim Door. And I think it said at will, which would be really handy for this prestige class.If Blink Shirt counts, I'd probably grab it as a feat, since the bind in this case isn't doing much.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-06, 02:29 PM
I think Azurin is a great option, you get bonus essentia and the feat needed to get Blink Shirt to at least 10 ft.... maybe even 20 I don't remember of hand if Shape Souldmeld gives you essentia.

Grelna the Blue
2010-12-06, 02:29 PM
Ruathar on top of Battle Sorceror might get you in a little bit faster.

Requires BAB +6 OR 9 ranks in any skill OR 3rd level spells, plus an RP requirement about helping elves. It's a full-casting class and I believe also full combat progression. It's only 3 levels long, with d6 hit dice, a decent skill list, and 2 good saves.

Edit: Nevermind, just realized the BAB progression for battle sorceror makes Ruathar unnecessary.

gbprime
2010-12-06, 02:30 PM
I tried building a Battle Sorcerer + Lore Drake + Greater Draconic Rite of Passage build, but it didn't work out fast enough.

Heck, even straight Battle Sorcerer would do it (twitch, twitch...). Or more likely Battle Sorcerer 7 / Abjurant Champion 1. But I wouldn't touch Battle Sorcerer unless you can be reasonably certain that the streets in the campaign are paved in Rune staves.

gbprime
2010-12-06, 02:33 PM
Ruathar on top of Battle Sorceror might get you in a little bit faster.

Requires BAB +6 OR 9 ranks in any skill OR 3rd level spells, plus an RP requirement about helping elves. It's a full-casting class and I believe also full combat progression. It's only 3 levels long, with d6 hit dice, a decent skill list, and 2 good saves.

Yeah, Ruathar is a great option for anyone who needs to gain sorcerer levels and actually wants those levels to have something besides spells. In this case, with a lenient DM and a feat spent on Versatile Spellcaster, you could qualify after Battle Sorcerer 4.

Since he's aiming for +6 BAB and Dimension Door to unlock a PrC though, he still can't enter at less than 8th level with Ruathar in the mix since it's 3/4 BAB.

Greenish
2010-12-06, 02:42 PM
I think Azurin is a great option, you get bonus essentia and the feat needed to get Blink Shirt to at least 10 ft.... maybe even 20 I don't remember of hand if Shape Souldmeld gives you essentia.Shape Soulmeld doesn't give essentia, but Blink Shirt has the range of 10' + 10' per essentia, so even the one essentia from Azurin would extent the range to 20'.

HunterOfJello
2010-12-06, 02:43 PM
Heck, even straight Battle Sorcerer would do it (twitch, twitch...). Or more likely Battle Sorcerer 7 / Abjurant Champion 1. But I wouldn't touch Battle Sorcerer unless you can be reasonably certain that the streets in the campaign are paved in Rune staves.

Yeah, Battle Sorcerer doesn't seem so great in comparison to just playing straight Cleric for 8 levels.

Duskblade 6 with the dragonmark feats works out the best for the ultra-fast access to this PrC imo.

Akal Saris
2010-12-06, 02:47 PM
I think the Blink Shirt is a better option, personally.. the 3/4 BAB on Totemist will lower your entry by 1 or 2 levels, depending on if you multiclass out, but it says it right there in the Totem Chakra bind that you get to cast Dim Door. And I think it said at will, which would be really handy for this prestige class.

True, but this is for an Eberron game, so the lesser mark makes a lot of sense flavor-wise, and gives him the flexibility to enter without losing CLs in his spell-casting class, like Duskblade or Mystic Ranger.

Ernir
2010-12-06, 02:52 PM
Have you asked Lix what she thought the "standard" entry would be? Most PrC designers have some idea how their own classes would be used.

Looks to me like the entry requirements have changed since the class was first created, too. It used to be easier to enter.

Draz74
2010-12-06, 04:30 PM
Warlock with Flee the Scene is another easy option for Level 8 qualification (alongside Battle Sorcerer or Cleric with Travel).

kestrel404
2010-12-06, 04:49 PM
Blink shirt doesn't work, it grants a SU dimension door. The requirement is "Cast Dimension Door". SLA gets you in on a technicality (you 'cast' spell-like-abilities).

Darrin
2010-12-06, 05:21 PM
If Blink Shirt counts, I'd probably grab it as a feat, since the bind in this case isn't doing much.

Another vote for Azurin + Shape Soulmeld: Blink Shirt. Shape Soulmeld can be taken at ECL 1, and dimension door is available as a standard action without binding it to any chakras. Any six levels of a full BAB class should qualify at that point.

Looking at [teleportation] spells...

Duskblade 6 gets dimension hop, but... other than dimension door at CL 13, I think that's all they get in the teleport department. To get the most out of Flashblade, the majority of your teleports would probably come from UMD (wands, scrolls, etc.).

Paladin 6 might work... Flashblade doesn't specify arcane casting, and paladins get protective interposition (Forge of War p. 115) as a 1st-level spell and knight's move (Spell Compendium p. 129) as a 2nd-level spell.

Endarire
2010-12-06, 05:50 PM
Complete Arcane 72 says that SLAs qualify you for being able to cast a specific spell.

Lord Bingo
2010-12-06, 06:02 PM
I think you might be able to do it with a Horizon Walker with Astral Terrain Domination at lvl 9.

-Forget that. My mind was in Pathfinder:smallfrown:

true_shinken
2010-12-06, 06:15 PM
I got it done! Used Greenish's Dragonmark idea.
My teleport options:
Dimension Leap - Standard action, teleport up to 60ft, must move in 10-ft increments; spell-like ability, 1/day (ECS, page 65)
Dimension Door - Standard action, teleport up to 640ft; spell-like ability, 1/day (Dragonmark) and 1/encounter (Flash Leap)
Dimension Slide - Swift action, teleport up to 10ft, requires line of sight, 2/day (first level power, Blitz has 2 power points) (Complete Psionic, page 83)
Dimension Hop - Standard action, teleport up to 15ft, requires line of sight, can be arcane channeled, up to 6/day (2nd level Duskblade spell, PHB 2, page 110)
Bolt Shirt - Move action, 1/day, teleport 60ft, needs both line of sight and line of effect, leaves behind a harmless trail of lighting (MIC, page 75)
Boots of Swift Passage - Move action, 5/day, teleport 20ft, needs both line of sight and line of effect (MIC, page 78)
Can you say Yellow Flash (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOKCRDUQtpk)?:smallbiggrin:
That's a lot of teleports!
Complete sheet here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=258726).

herrhauptmann
2010-12-06, 06:29 PM
What about a few of the Shadowhand maneuvers from ToB?
They're more smoky/darkness, rather than flashy, but hey, it's additional movement without actually walking.

Greenish
2010-12-06, 06:34 PM
Greater Dragonmark might also be decent. Teleport/Overland Flight 1/day, and extra uses of the least and lesser marks.

Keld Denar
2010-12-06, 06:35 PM
Totally forgot...

Dimension Hop (Freedom1) is an Ardent power in the Freedom mantle. Its a 10' swift teleport for 1 PP. You could take Hidden Talent and snag it and 2 PP to power it for the low low price of your first level feat. After that, you could visit the Earth Node special location (valued at 4500g) to pick up another 5 PP per day for a whole year. That's 7 uses per day for 1 feat and 4500g. You can't buy that any cheaper!

true_shinken
2010-12-06, 07:10 PM
Totally forgot...

Dimension Hop (Freedom1) is an Ardent power in the Freedom mantle. Its a 10' swift teleport for 1 PP. You could take Hidden Talent and snag it and 2 PP to power it for the low low price of your first level feat. After that, you could visit the Earth Node special location (valued at 4500g) to pick up another 5 PP per day for a whole year. That's 7 uses per day for 1 feat and 4500g. You can't buy that any cheaper!

I'm already using Dimension Hop. I didn't know about the earth node, though. Not sure if the DM would allow it, though. Extra swift action teleports are always welcome.

Anxe
2010-12-06, 11:33 PM
8th level Wilder would also do it if you're still interested in other builds.

Psyren
2010-12-06, 11:40 PM
I'm already using Dimension Hop. I didn't know about the earth node, though. Not sure if the DM would allow it, though. Extra swift action teleports are always welcome.

Why not just get a Cognizance Crystal? They can get pricey but are much easier to fit into a campaign, and you can keep recharging one indefinitely on days where you don't hop around.