PDA

View Full Version : Spiked Chain Analog in PF?

subject42
2010-12-06, 01:59 PM
Is there a weapon in official-from-Paizo-for-Pathfinder material that threatens squares that are both 5' and 10' from the wielder of the weapon, or did they close up that loophole?

The closest I can find is the Dorn Dergar, but even that's not quite what I'm trying to find.

Akal Saris
2010-12-06, 02:32 PM
Yes, there are. Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting, Pg. 210:

Scarf, Bladed: It's like a spiked chain (can weapon finesse and trip), but deals 1d6 and is x2. 12gp, Exotic, Slashing.

Urumi: It's a long, flexible longsword - fans of Rurouni Kenshin will recall that this is the weapon that Cho favors in Episode 44 or so. One-handed, 1d8/19-20 x2, 10ft reach and adjacent foes. +2 to disarm attempts, takes half damage from opponents' sunder attempts. Exotic, 30gp, slashing.

I'd love to make a 2-weapon fighter who uses an urumi sometime - it would probably be awesome, though hugely feat-intensive.

Godskook
2010-12-06, 02:33 PM
Spiked chain's ability is *NOT* a loophole, but a fairly clear intended use of the weapon.

The closest I could find in the PSRD is the Dorn Dergar, but the move-action requirement is harsh.

I'm kinda surprised they took that weapon away at all, honestly. It was an ability more weapons should've had. (There should've been a zweihander or something that you could count as both a reach and non-reach weapon).

cfalcon
2010-12-06, 02:34 PM
They nerfed the spiked chain and then added more stuff that does it in an even sillier fashion?

For shame, Paizo.

subject42
2010-12-06, 02:37 PM
Scarf, Bladed: It's like a spiked chain (can weapon finesse and trip), but deals 1d6 and is x2. 12gp, Exotic, Slashing.

Urumi: It's a long, flexible longsword - fans of Rurouni Kenshin will recall that this is the weapon that Cho favors in Episode 44 or so. One-handed, 1d8/19-20 x2, 10ft reach and adjacent foes. +2 to disarm attempts, takes half damage from opponents' sunder attempts. Exotic, 30gp, slashing.

I found these on the pathfindersrd site and they have the weapon-finesse clause that the spiked chain has, but they don't mention anything about threatening additional squares. Is that just an omission?

I'm trying to figure out how to make a fighter that (ab)uses the "Combat Patrol" feat to create a 40ft anti-casting radius at level 10.

Akal Saris
2010-12-06, 02:53 PM
It's either an error or a later errata to the weapons - given that the pfsrd is fan-made, I suspect error. Then again, the Chronicles book was still 3.5 I think, so an errata wouldn't be unexpected.

In the book, however, both clearly state that "In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, it can be used against an adjacent foe."

Rixx
2010-12-06, 03:12 PM
The Pathfinder campaign setting was released before Pathfinder RPG - the bladed scarf is likely to lose that property as well when it is updated.

In any case, you can pretty much turn any non-reach weapon into a spiked chain style "reach and adjacent" weapon with the Lunge feat.

subject42
2010-12-06, 03:59 PM
In any case, you can pretty much turn any non-reach weapon into a spiked chain style "reach and adjacent" weapon with the Lunge feat.

How does lunge interact with a reach weapon? Does it allow you to attack at 10' and 15', but not 5'?

Rixx
2010-12-06, 05:54 PM
How does lunge interact with a reach weapon? Does it allow you to attack at 10' and 15', but not 5'?

Yes, exactly.

Akal Saris
2010-12-06, 07:31 PM
The Pathfinder campaign setting was released before Pathfinder RPG - the bladed scarf is likely to lose that property as well when it is updated.

Not really, since it only lasts until the end of your turn, so threatening a large area with combat reflexes isn't feasible. Not to mention the -2 to attacks and you need +6 BAB to take it.

Rixx
2010-12-07, 12:37 AM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/combat-patrol-combat

Combat patrol is the feat if you want to do that.

I had words with Jason Bulmahn at NeonCon, and we both agreed that reach + adjacent by itself was to good of a weapon ability compared to the others, so I doubt you'll see this built into a weapon any time soon. You can still make your trippenbuilds, but you'll just need more of a feat investment (and PF gives you more feats anyhow). Being able to shut down anyone trying to get near you and remain perfectly safe once they do at level 1 is just a bit too good, I think.

But that's a whole 'nother debate.