PDA

View Full Version : one handed reach weapon?

molten_dragon
2010-12-06, 03:27 PM
Are there any besides the whip? I'm playing a tank in an upcoming campaign, and I want to use a shield, but reach would be nice as well. This is for 3.5

Greenish
2010-12-06, 03:29 PM
Spinning Sword from Secrets of Sarlona is one. Bonus points for also being usable vs. adjacent.

Kusari-Gama from DMG is a light reach weapon, if my memory serves.

TroubleBrewing
2010-12-06, 03:32 PM
I recall a weapon called a longaxe, but I don't know what setting it's from, or even if it's a d&d weapon... :smallfrown:

I'll try and find it.

EDIT: Nevermind. Not only is it a two-handed weapon, it's also exotic. If you're willing to spend 2 feats on Monkey Grip and EWP-Longaxe, it might be worth it. You'd need at least a 16 str, though.

Here's the link: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Axe,_Long_%283.5e_Equipment%29

Torvon
2010-12-06, 03:36 PM
on what level do you start?

you could always go for spiked chain (2h reach) + a shield with +2 enchant (it flies next to you, you don't need to hold it yourself).

forgot the name of the enchant.

molten_dragon
2010-12-06, 03:38 PM
The campaign will be starting at level one.

Greenish
2010-12-06, 03:38 PM
Not only is it a two-handed weapon, it's also exotic. If you're willing to spend 2 feats on Monkey Grip and EWP-Longaxe, it might be worth it.http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/killbeast301/morbo.jpg
Monkey Grip does not work like that!

[Edit]:
you could always go for spiked chain (2h reach) + a shield with +2 enchant (it flies next to you, you don't need to hold it yourself).Animated Shield would actually be +3, since it has to have +1 before you can add the Animated (+2) quality to it.

Keld Denar
2010-12-06, 03:40 PM
Monkey Grip

MONKEY GRIP NOT WORK THAT WAY

It lets you use a weapon sized larger, it doesn't let you use a 2handed weapon in one hand. Well, not in 3.5 at least. The 3.0 Monkey Grip kinda worked that way, because weapons themselves worked differently in 3.0. 3.5 changed the general weapon size catagories into level of effort catagories (light, 1handed, 2handed).

And the enchant you're looking for, Torvon, is Animated (shield). Its in the DMG.

EDIT: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Screw you greenish and your stupid pictures too!

arguskos
2010-12-06, 03:52 PM
I made one, awhile ago. It's homebrew, but it works pretty well. In fact, I dare say it's worth the feat required to use it! :smalltongue:

The Radiant Halberd
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs50/i/2009/339/3/f/Radiant_Halberd_by_Ironstaff.jpg
An interesting weapon, the radiant halberd was created by a man who desired the reach of a longspear, the punch of a halberd, and the trickery of a chain weapon. A radiant halberd is a one-handed exotic reach weapon, dealing 1d10 piercing damage with a critical range of x3. It counts as a halberd for the purposes of feats (such as Weapon Focus, Spinning Halberd, etc). Further, the radiant halberd, due to the collection of spikes around the head of the weapon, grants it's wielder one extra attack of opportunity per round.
Price: 95 gp

/selfpimpage. :smallcool:

Crafty Cultist
2010-12-06, 04:43 PM
There is a wepon called a nagimata in masters of the wild that could easily be updated to 3.5. its pretty much a whip studded with glass. it deals 1d6 points of slashing damage and unlike the whip, it can damage an enemy regardless of their armor.

Tetsubo 57
2010-12-06, 05:13 PM
I made one, awhile ago. It's homebrew, but it works pretty well. In fact, I dare say it's worth the feat required to use it! :smalltongue:

The Radiant Halberd
An interesting weapon, the radiant halberd was created by a man who desired the reach of a longspear, the punch of a halberd, and the trickery of a chain weapon. A radiant halberd is a one-handed exotic reach weapon, dealing 1d10 piercing damage with a critical range of x3. It counts as a halberd for the purposes of feats (such as Weapon Focus, Spinning Halberd, etc). Further, the radiant halberd, due to the collection of spikes around the head of the weapon, grants it's wielder one extra attack of opportunity per round.

Thank you. :)

HunterOfJello
2010-12-06, 05:13 PM
Crystal Keep d20 Index (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php)

Check in the Equipment section and search for "reach".

The Dagger-Whip is a good option.

true_shinken
2010-12-06, 05:22 PM
There is a wepon called a nagimata in masters of the wild that could easily be updated to 3.5. its pretty much a whip studded with glass. it deals 1d6 points of slashing damage and unlike the whip, it can damage an enemy regardless of their armor.

I thought it didn't have reach.

FMArthur
2010-12-06, 05:26 PM
Kusari-gama is a glorious paragon of overpowered weaponry. It does what you want as well as everything else, too. :smallwink:

Other than that, you can wield a Small two-handed weapon as a one-handed Medium weapon at a mere -2 penalty (with better-than-kusarigama damage). This option is easy and won't require a feat. I don't know why this option is so obscure to some people - it's right in the PHB. I still recommend picking up Kusari-gama proficiency eventually, but a -2 penalty isn't unbearable by any means so if your build is feat-starved, don't worry about it until later.

ranger557
2010-12-06, 05:34 PM
I wish they made a one handed spear weapon lol, but yeah the spinning sword and Kusari-gama are your best bet for one handed weapons and they do good damage lol.

Greenish
2010-12-06, 05:36 PM
Other than that, you can wield a Small two-handed weapon as a one-handed Medium weapon at a mere -2 penalty (with better-than-kusarigama damage). This option is easy and won't require a feat. I don't know why this option is so obscure to some people - it's right in the PHB.You don't get reach if you use a reach weapon too small for you. Rules Compendium, page 151.

This comes up so often I can cite the page number from memory. :smallamused:

Escheton
2010-12-06, 05:38 PM
There is a onehanded spearweapon: the shortspear

Logically though it doesnt have reach because it would become unwieldy in 1 hand, hence the longspear...

JaronK
2010-12-06, 05:40 PM
Spinning Sword and Kusari Gama are the main options. The other is the Shield and Pike style feat, which lets you use a light shield with any spear type weapon.

JaronK

Shade Kerrin
2010-12-06, 05:43 PM
Every time somebody suggests the DMG Kusari-gama for something, I die a little inside.
Really, How is that thing supposed to be used as a light weapon? How?

FMArthur
2010-12-06, 05:43 PM
You don't get reach if you use a reach weapon too small for you. Rules Compendium, page 151.

What! Those rotten bastards! I am going to have to use the PHB errata to maintain this totally-fair rules exploitation now. Which has the unpleasant corollary of making the Rules Compendium into The Book of Lies. :smallfrown:

Escheton
2010-12-06, 05:44 PM
Every time somebody suggests the DMG Kusari-gama for something, I die a little inside.

with finesse and precision. and in a controlled environment...

Boci
2010-12-06, 05:49 PM
You don't get reach if you use a reach weapon too small for you. Rules Compendium, page 151.

So a halfling using a small spiked chain gets reach, but a human doesn't? |I guess I can see the logic behind that. There's also a PrC in Drow of the Underdark that allows you to wield a spiked chain as a one handed weapon.

JaronK
2010-12-06, 05:50 PM

The original version in OA made a lot more sense. It was a two handed weapon that could be used as a double weapon (without reach) or a reach weapon (but not double), doing 1d6 slashing/1d4 bludgeoning.

JaronK

Keld Denar
2010-12-06, 05:53 PM
What! Those rotten bastards! I am going to have to use the PHB errata to maintain this totally-fair rules exploitation now. Which has the unpleasant corollary of making the Rules Compendium into The Book of Lies. :smallfrown:

The RC just clarifies the rules in this case. If you check the SRD, they use the term "appropriately sized". A halfling sized spiked chain wouldn't be appropriately sized for a human.

Lord Bingo
2010-12-06, 05:56 PM
Why not invest in a feat that allows you to attack as if you had reach? I think there is one called "lunge" in PHB2

Boci
2010-12-06, 05:57 PM
Why not invest in a feat that allows you to attack as if you had reach? I think there is one called "lunge" in PHB2

Full round action for a single attack.

Shade Kerrin
2010-12-06, 06:00 PM
The original version in OA made a lot more sense. It was a two handed weapon that could be used as a double weapon (without reach) or a reach weapon (but not double), doing 1d6 slashing/1d4 bludgeoning.

JaronK

Yeah, that's the one I typically use for my characters when they want one.

Lord.Sorasen
Is the scorpion Tail whip a reach weapon? I can't imagine it not being. And it's a reach weapon and also dumb so that's sort of an added bonus

Greenish
Why not invest in a feat that allows you to attack as if you had reach? I think there is one called "lunge" in PHB2Use the PF version, the PHBII is made of fail.

Rixx
2010-12-06, 06:03 PM
The Lunge feat from Pathfinder Core works perfectly, if PF material is allowed. Turn any weapon into a reach (and adjacent) weapon!

(You just need BAB +6 and take a -2 to AC when doing so, which is a fairly good balancing factor.)

Warlawk
2010-12-06, 06:24 PM

The Radiant Halberd

Too good imo basing off of existing weapons.

For crit range 19+ X2 and 20 X3 seem to be valued the same. So this weapon has the same damage and threat value as a bastard sword, is a one handed reach weapon (which is of HUGE value and exceedingly rare) and allows you to use existing feats for a different weapon that might have some nice effects to tag on. Most one handers top out at 1d8, so it keeps the same threat value, gives a damage increase and a couple of specials. Personally I wouldn't allow it.

1d8, 20X3, reach
or
1d8, 20X2, reach, halberd feats

Either of those stat blocks would be much more reasonable. For the record, I think melee could use some love and I'm not saying the weapon as you wrote it would break the game. I am just looking at it for balance against existing EWP's.

Sorry for the tangent!

Greenish
2010-12-06, 06:30 PM
Too good imo basing off of existing weapons.Most existing exotic weapons aren't worth the feat. :smallamused:

The difference between 1d8 and 1d10 is negligible. The ability to use feats for other weapon is common in later exotic weapons, should be baseline, and can be replicated by a weapon enhancement.

Escheton
2010-12-06, 07:37 PM
Exceptions being the harpoon, greatspear(2d6 reach, throwable), goliath greathammer and any you need as prereqs.

arguskos
2010-12-06, 08:34 PM
Most existing exotic weapons aren't worth the feat. :smallamused:
This is the point I was making, Warlawk. The standing EWPs are PATHETIC. Either they are OP as hell, or they suck terribly. The Radiant Halberd (and others like it that I've designed) are strong, but not overly. Basically, they are weapons worth a feat slot, and yet not the same level of crazy as the Spiked Chain.

Also, I question your position of "well, melee can use the love, but this is too much love" when there are things like the Spiked Chain running around IN CORE, a weapon that's pretty flat-out stronger than the given one. Just sayin'. :smallwink: Besides, the OP asked for it, and I offered it. You don't like it, hey, that's fair, ain't for everyone, that's why it's brew. :smallcool: No hard feelings.

Amiel
2010-12-06, 08:38 PM
You could conceivably wield a longspear one-handed. In doing so, you become a bad ass.

Warlawk
2010-12-06, 10:11 PM
Most existing exotic weapons aren't worth the feat. :smallamused:

The difference between 1d8 and 1d10 is negligible. The ability to use feats for other weapon is common in later exotic weapons, should be baseline, and can be replicated by a weapon enhancement.

This is the point I was making, Warlawk. The standing EWPs are PATHETIC. Either they are OP as hell, or they suck terribly. The Radiant Halberd (and others like it that I've designed) are strong, but not overly. Basically, they are weapons worth a feat slot, and yet not the same level of crazy as the Spiked Chain.

Also, I question your position of "well, melee can use the love, but this is too much love" when there are things like the Spiked Chain running around IN CORE, a weapon that's pretty flat-out stronger than the given one. Just sayin'. :smallwink: Besides, the OP asked for it, and I offered it. You don't like it, hey, that's fair, ain't for everyone, that's why it's brew. :smallcool: No hard feelings.

I never said I didn't like it. I never said I didn't think it was ok. I said it was not balanced with the other EWPs. Balancing all the garbage EWPs is an entirely different subject.

Whatever justification you want to toss out won't change the fact that it is more powerful than other EWPs. I wouldn't allow it in my games because I have other things in mind to buff melee and think that making powerful gimmick weapons is not the way to go about it. I wasn't calling it a bad idea, just saying it's not suitable for my personal games, and mostly just pointing out that it is out of line with other EWPs.

arguskos
2010-12-06, 10:29 PM
Whatever justification you want to toss out won't change the fact that it is more powerful than other EWPs. I wouldn't allow it in my games because I have other things in mind to buff melee and think that making powerful gimmick weapons is not the way to go about it. I wasn't calling it a bad idea, just saying it's not suitable for my personal games, and mostly just pointing out that it is out of line with other EWPs.
Tangent continued, for curiosities sake.
Wait a second... let me get this straight.

You acknowledge melee has issues.
You acknowledge that the exotics almost entirely suck and need to be revamped.
You then conclude that ignoring an entire category of weapons is a good idea? When they could well be a helping hand in a combination effort to help out melee? :smallconfused: I don't get it.

I understand that it's something you don't want to do, but I'm curious why the derision of the concept, which is what I'm feeling here. The fiery rhetoric about it being a "gimmick" and "whatever justification you want to toss out" isn't helping, by the by. I feel very attacked at the moment, and I'm curious why.

Further, you take the time to correct my work, even though you call it a gimmick and feel that fixing the exotics is a waste of time. Again, lots of conflicting messages I'm getting here.

Ok, for the record, what is the deal? I know you don't like it and that it doesn't fit in your games. I'm then curious if you allow the other weapons mentioned in this thread. Spiked Chain? Scorpion Chain? Greathammer? Kusari-Gama? Spinning Sword? These are all exotics and are as good or better than my work.

Sorry for the tangent people, but I feel this merits clarification, since I'm veeeery confused at the moment.

Warlawk
2010-12-07, 02:55 AM
Tangent continued, for curiosities sake.
Wait a second... let me get this straight.

You acknowledge melee has issues.
You acknowledge that the exotics almost entirely suck and need to be revamped.
You then conclude that ignoring an entire category of weapons is a good idea? When they could well be a helping hand in a combination effort to help out melee? :smallconfused: I don't get it.

I understand that it's something you don't want to do, but I'm curious why the derision of the concept, which is what I'm feeling here. The fiery rhetoric about it being a "gimmick" and "whatever justification you want to toss out" isn't helping, by the by. I feel very attacked at the moment, and I'm curious why.

Further, you take the time to correct my work, even though you call it a gimmick and feel that fixing the exotics is a waste of time. Again, lots of conflicting messages I'm getting here.

Ok, for the record, what is the deal? I know you don't like it and that it doesn't fit in your games. I'm then curious if you allow the other weapons mentioned in this thread. Spiked Chain? Scorpion Chain? Greathammer? Kusari-Gama? Spinning Sword? These are all exotics and are as good or better than my work.

Sorry for the tangent people, but I feel this merits clarification, since I'm veeeery confused at the moment.

Sorry if you feel attacked, really I am. I didn't intend it as an attack. I tend to often converse with people who argue (in the technical academic sense of the word) very strongly. I wasn't trying to be aggressive or derisive by any means and offer my sincere apologies for coming across that way. Text is often a bad medium as the emotion and intent behind the words can't come through, I believe that you are reading more hostility and aggressiveness than my words actually hold, and my choice of verbiage just made the issue worse.

As far as balance goes, it is just not much of an issue at our table due to DMs (I am the backup DM and run things about 1/2 of our play time when our main DM wants a break) giving everyone a chance to shine, but more importantly in our players style. We have had a wizard in virtually every campaign since 2E and I cannot think of a single one where they really stole the show and dominated. They certainly had their time in the spotlight, just like everyone else, but melee tends to do the bulk of the combat work with a few spells applied at key times to shape the battles.

Our group doesn't tend to focus on builds. I don't think anyone has used a single one of the weapons you listed, ever. We tend more toward creating a real person, and then writing up a sheet for them. Everyone sits down at the table with the intent to share in the process of creating a good story. The mechanics that get there are secondary.

Yes, I think from a purely mechanical standpoint melee in general needs a little love, and EWPs in general need some too. If you want to buff EWPs, they all need love though, creating a new one that is just outright superior to the existing options just makes it the only viable choice. I'm not saying it's bad, just that I would approach things differently. Perhaps keep it in line with existing EWPs as I listed above, but tack on a rider effect of +1AB per 5 levels untyped bonus or something. There's more to be said here, but it's time to go pick up my copy of cataclysm, so I apologize for giving offense, and clarify that my intent was only to note that it was not balanced in relation to the existing EWP options.