PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Binder/Dread Necro

slexlollar89
2010-12-06, 03:30 PM
A player of mine is a binder/dread necromancer, and I think he may be going anima mage, but I'm not sure...

He decided to play a binder (which, along with most non casting is heretical and against the law/morality of most of the world) and became rather fascinated with tenebrous, as well as the abilities of the party necromancer... basically he slowly became more CE and generally more willing to abuse moral viewpoints as he wanted, and decided to go this odd route. He hides his heretical nature at all times, and pose a sage to the nobility in a Rome-like capitol city in my setting. The one noted thing about him is he tends to avoid encounters and take an easier route... he's not a coward per-se, just an opportunist and an pragmatist.

Does anyone have any suggestions for thing I can how him to help the unusual multiclass? any feat suggestions?

Urpriest
2010-12-06, 03:32 PM
Well anima mage is the most straightforward option. Depending on what level the character already is, just one level of Binder with Improved Binding and the rest in Dread Necro would be enough to get into Anima Mage.

Psyren
2010-12-06, 03:45 PM
Either Precocious Apprentice or Improved Binding wiil get him into Anima Mage faster, which means fewer CL or EBL lost and faster access to Tenebrous. I prefer the latter approach because (a) it is on firmer ground rules-wise, (b) Improved Binding stays useful far longer than PA does, and (c) it will accelerate his build into obtaining Tenebrous more quickly.

The feats he picks will depend on whether he wants to be a Dread Necro that binds, or a Binder that practices necromancy.

slexlollar89
2010-12-06, 03:48 PM
He's binder 7 dread necro 2 in that order... he's role playing exceptionally well and is very subtle about it. Hi biuld has evolved as the game has unfolded, o precocious is out. He already took improved binding at level three.

Akal Saris
2010-12-06, 04:12 PM
Then simply Binder 8/DN 2/Anima Mage 10 is probably the simplest and most fitting build for him.

He'll want Practiced Spellcaster (C. Arcane) to give +4 to his CL as a dread necromancer.

As a DM you might let him stack Rebuke Undead from Tenebrous and DN, and let Anima Mage count towards it as well, otherwise the ability will be useless to him because it is strongly level-based.

Thurbane
2010-12-06, 04:28 PM
If his rebuke level isn't very high, he can always use it to power Devotion/Divine (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177033) feats...

slexlollar89
2010-12-06, 04:41 PM
Didn't even consider taking divine feats as a dread necromancer! Ha Ha Ha that's really ironic in my setting, as divine castes and organization are the big opponents of heresy and arcane magics and such... the whole feudal black magic idea i pretty strong, and using arcane class based turning attempts to use divine feats is like a slap in the face to mot of my deities.

I think I may let his turn/rebukes increase with CL... it does make sense as it is vaguely magical anyways, and he'll be gimped. Thanks for the advice guys always appreciated. He'll definitely enjoy the power with the to turning abilities, especially now that the party necromancer took undead leadership (they don't get along much... none of my group does, and the character drama is fantastic).