PDA

View Full Version : Psionics in Pathfinder

Leeham
2010-12-06, 04:06 PM
I am about to run an Eberron campaign, and I have the expanded psionics handbook. I was wondering if that'll be ok on its own, or should I fiddle about with it?

Greenish
2010-12-06, 04:11 PM
The races could use a boost to the level of PF races. The classes are quite light on class features, too.

Maybe you could combine wilder and soulknife? That'd get two classes done pretty easily, then just some flavour stuff on psywarr and psion (maybe to do with their specialization?) should get the ball rolling.

You should also check out the Mind's Eye archives (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/psi) for cool stuff.

fractal_uk
2010-12-06, 04:47 PM
You'll need to errata some powers to make psionics more Pathfinder-ish.

Dispel Psionics, the Metamorphosis powers and (Personal) Mind Blank are ones that spring to mind - as you'll presumably want them to mirror their arcane equivalents.

subject42
2010-12-06, 04:49 PM
Alternately, you could check out some of the Pathfinder material that Dreamscarred press is currently running through beta at the moment. I'm sure that they would welcome the feedback.

Tetsubo 57
2010-12-06, 05:07 PM
Alternately, you could check out some of the Pathfinder material that Dreamscarred press is currently running through beta at the moment. I'm sure that they would welcome the feedback.

You can download the beta info. It looks pretty good. I've pre-ordered the final dead tree version.

Psyren
2010-12-06, 05:21 PM
For Races: I think all the psionic races should be able to spend PP to use their racials repeatedly, like Elans do, instead of them being 1/day. In addition, the racials should be slightly stronger than the power they are copying - e.g. an Elan only has to spend 1 PP on Repletion and Resilience, but they are the equivalent of Sustenance and Biofeedback respectively, 2nd-level powers. (Even then they are slightly better than their power versions.)

I could envision them compensating for these abilities by aiming for net zero stats rather than net +2 like the non-psionic races. (e.g. Elans get no stat bonus or penalty.)

Endarire
2010-12-06, 05:43 PM
Dreamscarred Press Psionics Rules for Pathfinder - Prerelease Version (http://dreamscarredpress.com/dragonfly/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=762.html)

Starbuck_II
2010-12-06, 05:57 PM
The races could use a boost to the level of PF races. The classes are quite light on class features, too.

Maybe you could combine wilder and soulknife? That'd get two classes done pretty easily, then just some flavour stuff on psywarr and psion (maybe to do with their specialization?) should get the ball rolling.

You should also check out the Mind's Eye archives (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/psi) for cool stuff.

Agreed, the classes are fine. Maybe take away La from 1/2 Giant (since partly getting 2 + to stats caused that).

Take away Elan penalty to Cha.
Add an 3 + Int ability like an elemantal ray/breath weapon to Psion (like Sorceror bloodline).

Psyren
2010-12-06, 06:07 PM
Dreamscarred Press Psionics Rules for Pathfinder - Prerelease Version (http://dreamscarredpress.com/dragonfly/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=762.html)

I change my mind - THAT'S a fixed Wilder :smallbiggrin:

Agreed, the classes are fine. Maybe take away La from 1/2 Giant (since partly getting 2 + to stats caused that).

Their other big advantage is being Giants, i.e. immune to Charm Person, Hold Person, Daze etc.

AnswersQuestion
2010-12-06, 06:35 PM
Dreamscarred's Psionics Unleashed is already in print. The books should be available any time now, and it sells the pdf versions like paizo does too.

JonRG
2010-12-06, 06:39 PM
Their other big advantage is being Giants, i.e. immune to Charm Person, Hold Person, Daze etc.

Elan get that as well and are LA 0. But they aren't large, though are sometimes in charge. :smallamused:

Greenish
2010-12-06, 06:41 PM
Elan get that as well and are LA 0. But they aren't large, though are sometimes in charge. :smallamused:Half-giants aren't truly large, either.

AnswersQuestion
2010-12-06, 06:41 PM
Elan get that as well and are LA 0. But they aren't large, though are sometimes in charge. :smallamused:

Well, at least pf elans don't, since they are humanoids with the aberrant subtype. They get the standard free+2 stat bonus, cha penalty is out but cha skill checks with non-elans still get a -1. instead of an extra power point they gain wild talent (which becomes psionic talent if they take levels in a manifesting class). The other abilities remain the same and the fluff lets you become an elan from any race because the elans just make you that way in the end.

Psyren
2010-12-06, 07:30 PM
Well, at least pf elans don't, since they are humanoids with the aberrant subtype. They get the standard free+2 stat bonus, cha penalty is out but cha skill checks with non-elans still get a -1. instead of an extra power point they gain wild talent (which becomes psionic talent if they take levels in a manifesting class). The other abilities remain the same and the fluff lets you become an elan from any race because the elans just make you that way in the end.

Ugh. Color me unimpressed. :smallyuk:
At least they can't mess with my Synads.
TELL ME they fixed Blues though. Please?

AnswersQuestion
2010-12-06, 07:38 PM
Ugh. Color me unimpressed. :smallyuk:
At least they can't mess with my Synads.
TELL ME they fixed Blues though. Please?

The loss of aberration status isn't as bad as it sounds (really only the immunities drop), since the shapeshifting spells that based on creature type no longer do so. As far as psionic races go, elans are doing quite well.
Dunno how old blues were so I can't compare.
The betas are here: http://dreamscarredpress.com/dragonfly/ForumsPro/viewforum/f=2.html in the middle of the boards or the beta compilation. Titled "psionic races".There's psionic yuan-ti too.

DungeonDelver
2010-12-06, 07:52 PM
If my memory serves, Pathfinder giants are humanoid type anyway. Could be wrong though.

Psyren
2010-12-06, 08:04 PM
The loss of aberration status isn't as bad as it sounds (really only the immunities drop), since the shapeshifting spells that based on creature type no longer do so. As far as psionic races go, elans are doing quite well.

While polymetamorph was the biggest plus behind aberration-type, there were others, e.g. immunity to Charm/Hold Person and Daze.

Dunno how old blues were so I can't compare.

Blues are psionic goblins. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/blue.htm) They basically got shafted in the XPH. *Nods towards avatar.*

Grynning
2010-12-06, 08:12 PM
Blues are the first race listed in the alpha races linked above. LA is gone (hooray!) but their psi-like abilities got reduced to just one, sustenance. The rest is pretty good though. +2 Int and Dex, -2 Str stat adjustments. I'd play one.

Seerow
2010-12-06, 08:15 PM

Wow they're still in business? Is Tempest Stormwind still actively working with them?

JonRG
2010-12-06, 08:29 PM

Ugh. I'll take the blue crayon you're coloring Psyren with. :smallyuk: This is almost as painful to read as when DSP revealed the elans' secret transformation ritual as a psionic Easy-Bake Oven. Though even that said humans were the only candidates for elanhood.