PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Greathammer (PEACH)

Barbarian MD
2010-12-06, 06:32 PM
Basically, using a Fullblade (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/weapons.pl?all) as a baseline, and upping the damage and making it effective against constructs, while making it expensive and adding an AC penalty/minimum strength score to balance it.

Heavy Greathammer
Exotic Two-Handed Weapon
http://www.figures.com/forums/attachments/news/2571d1258986065-halo-series-7-revealed-tartarus.jpg

Only the greatest and strongest of warriors may dare to wield a Heavy Greathammer in battle. The haft of these hammers stretches to the full height of their wielder, and the entire weapon is made entirely of metal. Due to the cumbersome length and weight of the hammer, anyone wielding a Heavy Greathammer takes a -1 AC penalty.

The head of these hammers is so heavy that ordinary steel hafts will bend under the stress of gravity; therefore, all Heavy Greathammers must be crafted from a special material such as Adamantine (not included in the price). In addition, to wield a Heavy Greathammer effectively in battle, the wielder must meet the minimum strength score (see table); otherwise the user will suffer a -4 penalty to attack and -2 penalty to AC, in addition to the AC penalty already listed.

In addition, constructs are not immune to critical hits from a Heavy Greathammer. Sunder attempts made with a Heavy Greathammer are made with an untyped +4 bonus.

{table]Size|Cost|Damage|Critical|Weight|Minimum Strength
S|200gp|2d6|x4|25 lb.|15
M|200gp|3d6|x4|50 lb.|20
L|400gp|4d6|x4|100 lb.|30
H|800gp|6d6|x4|200 lb.|40
G|1600gp|8d6|x4|400 lb.|50
C|3200gp|10d6|x4|800 lb.|60[/table]

Zain
2010-12-06, 06:48 PM
I think is picture might be good

http://mimg.ugo.com/201007/50374/ramona-flowers-hammer.jpg

Otherwise I think it's a pretty neat weapon, but I'm not great at judging the balance of things

Kilbourne
2010-12-06, 07:12 PM
Seems balanced, in a way. The AC penalty and Strength, as well as making it an exotic weapon, balance the larger damage die of the weapon. However, it is almost the perfect Barbarian weapon, as they are already dropping their AC in combat, and have massive Strength scores. So, if that was your intention, then it is an excellent weapon. I'm not sure how favourable it is across all martial classes though.

Stycotl
2010-12-06, 09:54 PM
looks good. it'll work for the watchtower.

monkman
2010-12-06, 10:42 PM
I think that it would have to get a bonus to sunder attempts ,It's just the biggest and heaviest weapon you see anyone wield.

arguskos
2010-12-06, 10:48 PM
Ok, so, let's run an experiment here, ok?

Two level 5 human barbarians, one using a heavy greathammer, the other using a greatsword. Assume exactly the same character build and ability scores (Str of 20, that's all we care about here), save for the feat required for the greathammer.

Bob, wielding his greathammer, sees a helpless rat, and is very offended by this rat's existence, deciding to smash it into the ground in a furious rage. He hefts his 3,200 gp non-magical heavy greathammer, rages, and Power Attacks this rat for everything he's worth (5 points, so +10 damage in this case). His attack is at a +7 (for Strength score alone), and he deals this poor rat 3d6+17. He has a -1 to AC. This damage averages out to be 27.5 damage.

Bill, wielding his greatsword, does the exact same thing as Bob above (everything is the same, save that the weapon is not adamantine, and so is very cheap). His damage is 2d6+17, average 24, and he doesn't have a -1 to AC.

Explain to me how 3 points of average damage is worth the investment of a feat, an AC penalty, a 3,200 gp non-magical weapon, *and* possible greater penalties if your Strength ever drops (say, if an evil wizard decides to zap you with a ray of enfeeblement). The critical against constructs is nice... but then again, there's other ways to do that, which can be had by anyone.

This is not to say I dislike the *concept*, just the execution.

Stycotl
2010-12-06, 11:15 PM
i was thinking that the ability to ignore crit immunity should apply to pretty much all creatures, but that would then make it quite a bit more powerful than most other exotic weapons, and would then require a rewrite of all of them.

someday i may get around to that...

till then, maybe do give it a sunder bonus on top of the others stuff and call it a night.

and that wouldn't even screw you over as far as treasure is concerned in the watchtowr, because sundered magic weapons can be fixed without having to be reenchanted in my houserules!