PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) My updated version of the old Tarrasque.

Agrippa
2010-12-07, 01:08 AM
The Tarrasque is supposed to be D&D's King of Monsters, its Godzila. Unfortunately it hasn't been able to live up to that status in 3rd edition. While I doubt that this is enough of a fix for big T I honestly hope it's a start. Here it is, with some 2nd edition goodies brough back to it (including its illustration and 70 hit dice), the Tarrasque. Please note that I haven't finished giving it feets yet. I hope no one's upset by that fact.

Tarrasque

http://mmadnd.chat.ru/tarasque.gif

Size/Type: Colossal Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 70d10+840 (1,540 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 90 ft. (18 squares), 150 ft. (30 squares) on a rush
Armor Class: 35 (-8 size, +3 Dex, +30 natural), touch 5, flat-footed 32
Base Attack/Grapple: +70/+103
Attack: Bite +87 melee (5d10+17/18-20/×3)
Full Attack: Bite +87 melee (5d10+17/18-20/×3) and 2 horns +82 melee (1d10+8) and 2 claws +82 melee (1d12+8) and tail slap +82 melee (3d8+8)
Space/Reach: 30 ft./20 ft.
Special Attacks: Augmented critical, frightful presence, improved grab, rush, swallow whole, sharpness bite, barrier smasher
Special Qualities: Carapace, damage reduction 35/epic, immunity to fire, poison, disease, energy drain, and ability damage and drain, regeneration 40, scent, anchored to the earth
Saves: Fort +49, Ref +40, Will +25
Abilities: Str 45, Dex 17, Con 34, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 14
Skills: Listen rank 9 (bonus +21), Search rank 13 (bonus +9), Spot rank 13 (bonus +25), Survival rank 13 (bonus +14 (+16 following tracks)), Balance rank 12 (bonus +15), Jump rank 23 (bonus +40), Swim rank 10 (bonus +27)
Feats: Alertness, Awesome Blow, Blind-Fight, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Power Attack, Martial Study (Mountain Tombstone Strike), Combat Acrobatics, Mobility, Agile Leaper, Soaring Jump (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9859482&postcount=4), In a Single Bound (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9859511&postcount=5), Imroved Critical (claws), Vorpal Strike (claws) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9859511&postcount=5), Weapon Focus (claws), Overwhelming Critical (claws) [Epic], Devastating Critical (claws) [Epic], 3 more feats
Environment: Any land
Frequency: Unique
Organization: Solitary
Activity Cycle: See below
Diet: Omnivore
Challenge Rating: 20
Treasure: Its self, see below
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: N/A
Level Adjustment: —

The legendary Tarrasque, for there is fortunately only one known to exist, is the most dreaded monster native to the Prime Material plane. The creature is a scaly biped with two horns on its head, a lashing tail, and a reflective carapace.

Combat: The Tarrasque is a killing machine and when active (see below) eats everything for miles around, including all animals and vegetation. The Tarrasque attacks with its claws, teeth, horns, and tail.

The Tarrasque’s natural weapons are treated as epic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Augmented Critical (Ex)
The Tarrasque’s bite threatens a critical hit on a natural attack roll of 18-20, dealing triple damage on a successful critical hit.

Frightful Presence (Ex)The Tarrasque can inspire terror by charging or attacking. Affected creatures must succeed on a DC 47 Will save or become shaken, remaining in that condition as long as they remain with 60 feet of the Tarrasque. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Improved Grab (Ex) To use this ability, the Tarrasque must hit a Huge or smaller opponent with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can try to swallow the foe the following round.

Sharpness Bite (Ex) The bite of the Tarrasque can slice through bone and sever limbs. Whenever the Tarrasque confirms a critical hit, roll a d10 in addition to multiplying damage. Then consult the table below to determine which limb is lost.

D10 roll|limb severed
1|left hand
2|right hand
3|left foot
4|right foot
5|left arm
6|right arm
7|left leg
8|right leg
9|both legs
10|both arms

Rush (Ex)
Once per minute, the Tarrasque can move at a speed of 150 feet. This allows the great beast to trample its smaller foes for 4d10+17 points of damage.

Swallow Whole (Ex)
The Tarrasque can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of Huge or smaller size by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the opponent takes 2d8+8 points of crushing damage plus 2d8+6 points of acid damage per round from the Tarrasque’s digestive juices. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by dealing 50 points of damage to the tarrasque’s digestive tract (AC 25). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. The Tarrasque’s gullet can hold 2 Huge, 8 Large, 32 Medium, 128 Small, or 512 Tiny or smaller creatures.

Carapace (Ex)
The Tarrasque’s armorlike carapace is exceptionally tough and highly reflective, deflecting all rays, lines, cones, and even lightning bolt, cone of cold and magic missile spells. There is a 30% chance of reflecting any such effect back at the caster; otherwise, it is merely negated.

Regeneration (Ex)
No form of attack deals lethal damage to the Tarrasque. The Tarrasque regenerates even if it fails a saving throw against a disintegrate spell or a death effect. If the Tarrasque fails its save against a spell or effect that would kill it instantly (such as those mentioned above), the spell or effect instead deals nonlethal damage equal to the creature’s full normal hit points +30 (or 1,255 hp). The Tarrasque is immune to effects that produce incurable or bleeding wounds, such as mummy rot, a sword with the wounding special ability, or a clay golem’s cursed wound ability.

The Tarrasque can be slain only by being reduced to -30 hit points and using a wish or miracle spell to keep it dead.

If the Tarrasque loses a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 1d6 minutes (the detached piece dies and decays normally). The creature can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump.

Anchored to the Earth (Ex) Nature will not allow this dreaded beast to be whisked off to far off planes. The Tarrasque is under a constant dimensional anchor effect.

Barrier Smasher (Ex) Given time walls of force and even mighty forcecages can fall to the Tarrasque's unrelenting fury. Because of this the Tarrasque can attempt to break a wall of force as if it had a break DC equal to the caster's level times three. In addition the Tarrasque ignores the first ten points of hardness when attacking walls, doors and fortifications.

Habitat/Society: It is fortunate that the Tarrasque is active only for short periods of time. Typically, the monster comes forth to forage for a week or two, ravaging the countryside for miles around. The Tarrasque then seeks a hidden lair underground and lies dormant, sleeping for 5d4 months before coming forth again. Once every decade or so, the monster is particularly active, staying awake for several months. Thereafter its period of dormancy is 4d4 years unless disturbed. The ratio of active to dormant states seems to be about 1:30.

Ecology: Slaying of the Tarrasque is said to be possible only if the monster is reduced to -30 or fewer hit points and a wish or miracle is used. Otherwise, even the slightest piece of the Tarrasque can regenerate and restore the monster completely. Legend says that a great treasure can be extracted from the Tarrasque's carapace. The upper portion, treated with acid and then heated in a furnace, is thought to yield gems (10d10 diamonds of 10,000 gp base value each). The underbelly material, mixed with the creature's blood and adamantite, is said to produce a metal that can be forged typically by master dwarven blacksmiths into 1d4+2 shields of +5 enchantment of fire warding and great reflection. It takes two years to manufacture each shield, and the dwarves aren't likely to do it for free.

It is hoped that the Tarrasque is a solitary creation, some hideous abomination unleashed by the dark arts or by elder, forgotten gods to punish all of nature. The elemental nature of the Tarrasque leads the few living Tarrasque experts to speculate that the elemental princes of evil have something to do with its existence. In any case, the location of the Tarrasque remains a mystery, as it rarely leaves witnesses in its wake, and nature quickly grows over all remnants of its presence. It is rumored that the Tarrasque is responsible for the extinction of one ancient civilization, for their records of their last days spoke of a "great, reptilian punisher sent by the gods to end the world."

Seerow
2010-12-07, 01:15 AM
It doesn't fix the tarrasque's biggest weakness: Someone flying way above him shooting at him indefinitely from outside his reach, though the huge bump in damage resistance and hp help with that, I'd recommend making his Anchored to the Earth restrict flight in an area around him, either limiting creatures to a (low) maximum height, or restricting it completely.

arguskos
2010-12-07, 01:17 AM
It doesn't fix the tarrasque's biggest weakness: Someone flying way above him shooting at him indefinitely from outside his reach, though the huge bump in damage resistance and hp help with that, I'd recommend making his Anchored to the Earth restrict flight in an area around him, either limiting creatures to a (low) maximum height, or restricting it completely.
It also still can't handle the whole "lulz one Allip>the Tarrasque" issue. Needs more Ability Drain Immunity.

Agrippa
2010-12-07, 01:23 AM

Look at Agile Leaper, Soaring Jump and In A Single Bound. I'm also ruling the alertness scales by +2 per ever five levels up to 20th level.

Anxe
2010-12-07, 01:38 AM
What does it do if I hide myself in a Forcecage?

Agrippa
2010-12-07, 01:45 AM
What does it do if I hide myself in a Forcecage?

Simple, the Tarrasque keeps stomping on your little forcecage until the duration is up, then it starts stomping on you. After it eats your friends first. And I sincerly doubt you'll get any rest while a big nasty monster is trying to crush your shelter no matter how indestructable it may be.

Anxe
2010-12-07, 01:49 AM
You don't think it'd be a better idea to give it an ability to break walls of force?

Example: He rolls a strength check vs. DC 30. If he succeeds he breaks through the wall.

Agrippa
2010-12-07, 02:08 AM
You don't think it'd be a better idea to give it an ability to break walls of force?

Example: He rolls a strength check vs. DC 30. If he succeeds he breaks through the wall.

Or a Strength check versues caster level check. And instead of outright destroying a wall of force or forcecage outright a successful Strength check by the Tarrasque shortens it's duration by one caster level. This would be by one round per success against a wall of force and two hours per success against a forcecage. I'm just not quite sure how to phrase it though.

AugustNights
2010-12-07, 10:24 AM
Or a Strength check versues caster level check. And instead of outright destroying a wall of force or forcecage outright a successful Strength check by the Tarrasque shortens it's duration by one caster level. This would be by one round per success against a wall of force and two hours per success against a forcecage. I'm just not quite sure how to phrase it though.

This idea is great, but...

... what if he could MOVE the force wall, or cage?
Flatten the cage like.
Wouldn't be very fun to be in a squished forcecage, methinks.

Agrippa
2010-12-07, 12:56 PM
This idea is great, but...

... what if he could MOVE the force wall, or cage?
Flatten the cage like.
Wouldn't be very fun to be in a squished forcecage, methinks.

I'd give the Tarrasque a chance to break through but not one to move focecages or walls of force. In my opinion that would just defeat the point of those spells.

MrTytronico
2010-12-07, 01:08 PM
I was under the impression that a Tarrasque is supposed to defeat the purpose of walls and cages.

AugustNights
2010-12-07, 01:19 PM
I'd give the Tarrasque a chance to break through but not one to move focecages or walls of force. In my opinion that would just defeat the point of those spells.

I should certainly hope that there are more uses of those spells than to use against the big T, but you know its your monster, I like breaking them fine. But I know a certain surprise for my next group of players...

MrTytronico
2010-12-07, 01:34 PM
Gnome Wizard: *Hides in Force Cage*

Human Fighter: Coward Gnome, leaving us to die!

Tarrasque: *Starts lining up a kick*

Gnome Wizard: *look of Shock*

Human Fighter: *Rofl*

Tanuki Tales
2010-12-07, 01:41 PM
Or the Tarrasque could just...you know...eat the Forcecage.

There was a bit in Ecology of the Tarrasque for Dragon Magazine that explained that the Tarrasque had like...5 stomachs and the last one was pure anti-magic that could destroy and render even artifacts useless.

Just implement that in its stat block.

Agrippa
2010-12-08, 01:58 AM
I just gave the Tarrasque a new ability Barrier Smasher. So how does it look so far?

Prime32
2010-12-08, 05:38 PM
Maybe extend the dimensional anchor effect to anything inside its body?

Agrippa
2010-12-08, 11:22 PM
Maybe extend the dimensional anchor effect to anything inside its body?

Beaten only by a caster level check vs. the Tarrasque's hit dice (or 2/3's of its hit dice) to escape its stomach. Does that sound right? Now Prime32, with all this added together, what CR would you give the Tarrasque? Please be honest.