PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e PEACH] Geometric Weapon Enhancements

Havvy
2010-12-07, 01:50 AM
Weapon enhancements that get their idea from four-spatial dimensional shapes. Help on the wording? And I want to make sure that Klein weapons remain mundane.

This is done in preparation of a new mathematical ToB discipline.

Klein Weapons (Klein Bottles)

One surface weapons that are partially in a transitive plane. A klein weapon is a specially crafted klein bottle to be deadly. A klein bottle is a one-surface object. The simplest versions need a minimum of four geometric planes to exist in, of which, one of the planes needs to be only two layers deep. For klein weapons, this is the plane you are in and a corresponding transtive plane in the order of ethreal, shadow, and astral. Because of this, a klein sword may attack a creature in that plane.

A klein sword will not go through a portal unless it exists on both planes it habits. If the sword is taken to a plane without a corresponding transitive plane, such as a bag of holding, its maximum HP and Hardness both change to 1.

Because of the odd shape, a klein weapon gives a +2 bonus on disarm attempts.

Klein weapons are mundane, unless normally enchanted. The laws of the universe make sure that they move from transitive plane to transitive plane.

Price: +1000gp.

Hyper (cubes)

Weapons and shields that are bigger on the inside than they are on the out. As a swift or weapon draw action, you may pull the inside of your weapon or shield out, providing a slightly bigger weapon. The weapon is considered one size larger. Futhermore, its HPs in its enlarged state are kept track of separately than its normal state. The process may be reversed, returning the weapon or shield to its normal size.

Transmulation; CL 5; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Enlarge Weapon (CS97); Price: +1.

Hyper weapons can be refluffed in other ways of course. For example, pressing a button, and having the weapon extend, but the idea of hyper weapons is awesome.

Epsilon Rose
2010-12-07, 02:09 AM
I like the concept, but I have some criticisms.
Are +2 to disarm and ghost touch the only things a Klein weapon does, because it's a bit underwhelming for something that exists on multiple planes, uses esoteric geometry, and is probably dang hard to create; especialy when you consider the other restrictions it has. Also, I'm not to sure how much sense a bonus to disarm makes.

While hyper is an interesting idea I'm fairly certain there's already an enchantment that lets you change your weapon's size (but in both directions) and I'm not sure the second set of hp is worth while unless you have a dm who likes breaking stuff (in which case you're probably better off with adamant or something similar).

Havvy
2010-12-07, 02:22 AM
You can combine Hyper and Adamant for a bit more safety too.

Klein Weapons don't really have any pre-req other than the cost, and a way to get into a transitive plane and material plane. Probably an Int prereq in there too...but otherwise.... The bonus to disarm is because the weapons can literally swallow other weapons due to its shape.

I'm adding the following property to Hyper too:

Automatically goes to its bigger size when thrown.

Not sure what enhancement you are talking about for changing size in both directions. Thematically, I'm sure there are other ways of getting this same effect, but having a sword that literally exists in the fourth dimension is probably better sounding fluff.

Epsilon Rose
2010-12-07, 08:19 AM
Klein Weapons don't really have any pre-req other than the cost, and a way to get into a transitive plane and material plane. Probably an Int prereq in there too...but otherwise....
Prereq? Weapon enchantments don't have prereqs (unless you're talking about to make). When I said it would be hard to make I meant how much bending space like this should cost, and when I said other restrictions I was referring to it's planar and portal based limitations.

Not sure what enhancement you are talking about for changing size in both directions. Thematically, I'm sure there are other ways of getting this same effect, but having a sword that literally exists in the fourth dimension is probably better sounding fluff.
The enchantment is called sizing it's on page 127 of Cadv. The mechanical methods are the spells reduce and enlarge person and using already existing spells makes way more sense.

Havvy
2010-12-07, 10:54 PM
CS97 = Complete Scoundrel page 97. Enlarge Weapon is an already existing spell. But yeah, making it "Enlarge Person or Enlarge Weapon" would probably be better.

Sizing is different because it allows *any* size but takes a standard action. This has its uses because it is a swift action, that I'm going to say becomes a free action if you have Quick Draw as a feat.

And yes, by prereqs, I mean crafting prereqs. The planar and portal limitations, I'd like to change to something less 'and then a miracle happens' everytime it goes through a portal. The esoteric geometry is quite mundane as long as you have access to a way of getting them fused. If that cannot be done outside of magic, I'll be saddened. Outside of going through portals, which is already space being bent, klein objects do not bend space anymore than non-klein objects do.