PDA

View Full Version : A Potentially Touchy Subject

Lord_Gareth
2010-12-07, 03:47 AM
For US citizens, anyway. I'd wanted to start a thread asking those folks lucky enough to live in a state (Nevada, California, Rhode Island) or nation where prostitution is legalized about the kind of social, economic and cultural effects they think it has on where they live. I feel the topic has much to explore without getting explicit, but I thought I'd bring it up with the mods here first because I know that most US citizens believe it is WRONG, degrading, etc so forth, and I don't want to step on their toes or, for that matter, the toes of the Giant.

Hoping to hear back,

- Gareth.

Kyeudo
2010-12-07, 03:57 AM
I think the topic is too likely to dive into discussion of religion and/or politics. I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot-pole if I were you.

Lord_Gareth
2010-12-07, 04:45 AM
I think the topic is too likely to dive into discussion of religion and/or politics. I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot-pole if I were you.

It'd only get into religion if folks fail to consider the clearly-marked line on the subject.

Worira
2010-12-07, 05:05 AM
And it could only get political if... people talk about it.

Lord_Gareth
2010-12-07, 05:12 AM
I'd be talking about the effects on a culture in places where it's already legal. Politics need not enter into things at all, folks.

hamishspence
2010-12-07, 05:19 AM
I think the last time the issue of "activities illegal in some places" came up, the general ruling was- if it's commonly illegal, it cannot be talked about- even if it's legal in some places.

Manga Shoggoth
2010-12-07, 05:22 AM
It'd only get into religion if folks fail to consider the clearly-marked line on the subject.

'bout 30 seconds, then.

Mikeavelli
2010-12-07, 05:45 AM
People pay for sex the world over. The only difference between the rest of the world and places where it's legal is that where it's legal, it can be regulated like any other business, safety standards can be enforced, taxes can be collected, and workers can expect a higher quality of life compared to places where it's illegal.

But that said, everyone else is right. Giantitp isn't really the community to ask this sort of question in.

RebelRogue
2010-12-07, 06:21 AM
I fail to see how this will not be political. It has little to do with religion, though.

SMEE
2010-12-07, 06:48 AM
The Rainbow Mod: This is a political subject, and by such is not allowed by the forum rules.
Please don't start such thread.
Thread locked.