PDA

View Full Version : 3,5 Magic missle and invisability

Baldin
2010-12-07, 06:46 AM
eey all,

I have a warmage lvl1/wizard lvl 4 ultimate magus lvl3 and last sunday while our party was attacked by 2 clerics i fired a magic missle on 1 of them, since it never misses. but here is the situation

we where standing in a hallway that was about 25ft long and 10ft wide

at the end of the hall where 2 evil clerics, in front of 1 was our marshal and of the other was our cleric who was invisible, so now if the cleric was visable i would not have line of sight to the enemy. but our cleric was invisible so i wanted to cast magic missle on the enemy.

My dm said that my cleric was in front of me so i couldnt hit him, tough magic missle states that when u target some1 it hits. would this be a legal hit for magic missle or do invisible characters block the magic missle?

cheers
baldin

ps. sry if im unclear=p

AnswersQuestion
2010-12-07, 06:48 AM
Only line of effect blocks magic missile. Having a friend in front of you does not block line of effect. You should be able to hit the cleric even if your friend wasn't invisible.

Baldin
2010-12-07, 06:49 AM
wow thats a fast responds =p thanks

well if he wasnt invisable i couldnt see the cleric so thats why=p but ye we did count it as a hit.

cheers
baldin

LordBlades
2010-12-07, 06:51 AM
Creatures don't block line of sight, only provide cover.

KillianHawkeye
2010-12-07, 08:21 AM
If there are two people standing 30 feet from you, do you really think you can't see the second person if the first person is in the way??? :smallconfused:

LordBlades
2010-12-07, 08:36 AM
If there are two people standing 30 feet from you, do you really think you can't see the second person if the first person is in the way??? :smallconfused:

God, I hope that's sarcasm:smallbiggrin:

KillianHawkeye
2010-12-07, 08:56 AM
God, I hope that's sarcasm:smallbiggrin:

More like an attempt to point out the absurdity.

hewhosaysfish
2010-12-07, 09:05 AM
Having a friend in front of you does not block line of effect.

Unless your friend is a gelatinous cube...

Ernir
2010-12-07, 09:12 AM
Unless your friend is a gelatinous cube...
Or took Willing Deformity: Obese. :smalleek:

Psyx
2010-12-07, 09:33 AM
Remind your GM that squares are five feet wide!

LordBlades
2010-12-07, 09:38 AM
Remind your GM that squares are five feet wide!

Unlike most people, even in armor.

Roderick_BR
2010-12-07, 10:02 AM
wow thats a fast responds =p thanks

well if he wasnt invisable i couldnt see the cleric so thats why=p but ye we did count it as a hit.

cheers
baldin

Well, if the cleric REALLY huge, and the enemy is REALLY small... maybe the cleric is an ogre, and the enemy is a halfling?

Incanur
2010-12-07, 10:07 AM
You can even cast magic missile at the darkness, so no problems here. :smallsmile:

KillianHawkeye
2010-12-07, 07:03 PM
Well, if the cleric REALLY huge, and the enemy is REALLY small... maybe the cleric is an ogre, and the enemy is a halfling?

You'd still be able to see the halfling between the ogre's legs.

Also, don't forget that people in combat are constantly moving and dodging, which makes them even easier to see.

holywhippet
2010-12-07, 07:21 PM
I don't recall any rule saying that a character provides full cover for someone behind them. You could hide behind someone with a tower shield maybe but otherwise you could argue that you could catch a glimpse of someone by moving a little bit or by the other people moving.

Magic missile is an automatic target finding spell provided the target doesn't have total cover or concealment. You could wonder why it doesn't hit an invisible target in the way but you could shrug it off as just being magic.

ericgrau
2010-12-07, 08:22 PM
Anything less than total cover does not stop line of effect. Total cover includes the silly examples above, where the 1st guy is completely obscuring the second guy. Normally one creature only provides soft cover for another, as he is not 5-10 feet wide and does not completely obscure the second creature.