PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody uses other people homebrew settings?

akma
2010-12-07, 06:47 AM
Just wondering, since I got the feeling almost nobody uses homebrew of other people in general, and I wondered how many people use homebrew campaign settings of other people.

Eldan
2010-12-07, 06:53 AM
I use elements of it, if that counts. I.e. if someone has an interesting organization, or nation, or cosmological aspect in their world, sometimes I'll pilfer it and put it somewhere in the background.

J.Gellert
2010-12-07, 06:59 AM
What's the point of it? If you use homebrew, make your own :smallwink:

Actually... if you are looking for a ready setting, but don't care/can't buy a published one, you could use a "homebrew". Still, I wouldn't know where to find a complete one for free. Of course, I bet Google knows.

Hmmm... the idea of other people using my campaign setting... awesome :smallredface:

Gnaritas
2010-12-07, 07:13 AM
I doubt i would ever use a homebrew setting, but i could take certain concepts of it that i find interesting and use it in my own.

Draz74
2010-12-07, 06:20 PM
I could see myself using Hourglass of Zihaja someday.

Tvtyrant
2010-12-07, 06:22 PM
I steal from them if they have a good idea. Which is what I do with the information from official campaign worlds as well; the only one I have thought about is a campaign world posted on Obsidian where the Mindflayers have destroyed the multiverse and rule everything.

Claudius Maximus
2010-12-07, 06:27 PM
One of my players began a campaign with a completely different group, and he used my setting, with a few changes of his own. I'm sure that kind of thing happens all the time.

As for whether people use online homebrew settings, I've never heard of it happening, but I have a feeling it has happened somewhere. I don't do so myself, however.

In any case, it can be worthwhile to post your setting even if nobody else ever uses it, just so you can cement the ideas in writing. I have some documents that I'm fairly sure only I have read in detail, but I still don't regret writing them.

Pika...
2010-12-07, 07:45 PM
I was honored that a friend of mine did that with mine. Also, a Kobold subrace of mine has spread to multiple DMs. :smallbiggrin:

pffh
2010-12-07, 07:48 PM
Only to steal stuff from but my world seems to have become my groups default world so I'm pretty happy about that.

Mastikator
2010-12-07, 07:59 PM
Does unearthed arcana count? :smalltongue:

Akal Saris
2010-12-07, 10:43 PM
My friend started a new campaign (without me!) in my homebrew world, which I was quite touched by. Since then the players from his game and my own tend to be quite confused as to just whose world it is and what happened in the world according to which DM =P