PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] A Lv.1 rogue with Weapon Proficiency: (Rock)? Also, a 3 Comliness...

Pika...
2010-12-07, 10:05 AM
So a friend is going to try his hands at DMing with a few one-offs it seems. Last night another friend rolled some stats for me. I got a 9, 18, 11, 14, 13, 11.

I have been dying to run a character who specializes in Weapon Focus: (Rock). I always thought that a fighter was the only way to go, but then I thought that a Loony-Toons style sneaky rogue who bangs you over the head with a rock could be quite amusing. :/

From I remember of the improvised weapon rules (Complete Scoundrel???) a 50lb rock can be deadly to wield.

Can anyone please point me to how much damage a rock can do/what book, and perhaps give me some advice on how to make such a character?

A big question is what two feats to take, and where to put the 18. Also, what feat does one need to wield a rock?

Thanks in advance!

ps. The character's mother was named Lee, and his father was named Fug. While still precious in THEIR eyes they still managed to accidentally name him appropriately by combining their names into one for his...

Anyway else I could incorporate his lovely looks into this PC? :smalleek:

Kelb_Panthera
2010-12-07, 11:13 AM
Proficiency in rocks is definitely an application of Exotic Weapon Proficiency. Unfortunately it's up to your dm whether EWP(rock) is a valid choice. OTOH he'd have to just whack you with the ban-hammer to have a problem with EWP(halfling skip-rock) The Halfling Skip-Rock is an exotic weapon in A&EG. I think it's thrown only, like shuriken, though.

Telonius
2010-12-07, 11:33 AM
Two throwing that I know of are the Hulking Hurler (beware the broken aspects of it) and the Master Thrower. IIRC you can get into Hulking Hurler by being a Goliath, but otherwise you need to be a Large creature.

For Master Thrower, I'd suggest Rogue1/Fighter1-2/Rogue2-4. That will make the feat tax hurt a little less. See if you can get the DM to rule that you can use rocks as a thrown weapon without penalty. Otherwise, you're going to need to spend a feat on Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Rock) in order to not take the -4. (You can also get this through Drunken Master, but that would be one horrific build).

Zherog
2010-12-07, 11:38 AM
If you're good with only doing nonlethal damage, you could reflavor the sap - a weapon rogues are proficient in - to do what you want.

The Glyphstone
2010-12-07, 12:18 PM
You might want to re-read the improvised weapon rules. A 50-lb rock will do a phenomenal 2d6 damage when used as a weapon...

Pika...
2010-12-07, 01:29 PM
You might want to re-read the improvised weapon rules. A 50-lb rock will do a phenomenal 2d6 damage when used as a weapon...

I am wielding a 55lb one. :smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2010-12-07, 01:39 PM
Sadly, still does 2d6 damage. It's 1d6 damage/25 pounds for a dense object, and it won't 'size up' till you hit the next minimum. So, you've got an amusing way to wield a greatsword that you can't effectively enchant.

Fouredged Sword
2010-12-07, 01:44 PM
Take ranks in stonecrafting and make a masterwork rock! Now you can enchant it fine. I don't know what you want to do with such a thing, but you can do it.

Telonius
2010-12-07, 03:09 PM
Take ranks in stonecrafting and make a masterwork rock! Now you can enchant it fine. I don't know what you want to do with such a thing, but you can do it.

A Masterwork Rock? Probably would look something like this:

http://www.bowlingballs.us/bowling-ball.jpg

Or possibly this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mO2P89679jY/SvU6huVA1OI/AAAAAAAAAAo/jwgMnH3kJn8/s320/curling.jpg

TheGeckoKing
2010-12-07, 03:13 PM
EWP(Bowling Ball)?

I want.

Gensh
2010-12-07, 03:40 PM
EWP(Bowling Ball)?

I want.

Frank West has it. He's covered wars, you know.

On topic, I actually had a player with Weapon Focus (Rock) before. Dwarf fighter, got the party in more sticky situations than the total damage he did for the game. Took a level in the shadowsmith prestige class from ToM before leaving the campaign. I guess he wanted to be able to create shadow rocks or something.

Marnath
2010-12-07, 04:05 PM
Alternatively, you can take orc shotput and just say you made it out of stone instead of iron. I don't remember which book it's in though.

Leon
2010-12-08, 01:59 AM
Arms and Equipment Guide

panaikhan
2010-12-08, 08:29 AM
Is it too much of a stretch to take EWP (improvised weapon) ?

Darrin
2010-12-08, 09:39 AM
Is it too much of a stretch to take EWP (improvised weapon) ?

A dip into Hulking Hurler can reduce the improvised penalty to -2. And there's an organization in the Stormreach book that can reduce that by another -2 if you fight every week in the arena.

There's a 3.0 PrC in Dragon #295 called the Brawler that gets complete proficiency with improvised weapons, and can even apply feats like Weapon Focus/Specialization and Improved Critical to improvised weapons.

KillianHawkeye
2010-12-08, 08:05 PM
Have you ever actually lifted a 50 lb rock? I hope you put that 18 into Strength if you're really serious about wielding it in battle!

Innis Cabal
2010-12-08, 08:09 PM

That is totally ludicrous. As a weapon...that would be to heavy to wield effectively.