PDA

View Full Version : One-shot killer (3.5)

Balor01
2010-12-07, 10:50 AM
Hey,

my charater just died in our last session and DM allowed me to make a new lvl 4 character. He would like it to be an assasin type and after unfortunate death of my wiz, I would really like something with a kick. Something OMG powefull, but more in a way of dealing dmg then, say, casting Sleep, which is effective, but not something that would make my "assassin" shine. Killing a sleeping opponent is really not ... cool, even if it is effective.

All books are allowed, but so far LVL4 is the limit. So no "You can warbl4/swordsg/2wiz1/arcanemacguffin/3 and when you're lvl 16 ..." crap.

Just 4 lvls which I want to make dmg-dealing (may be in combo with spells, multiclassing, etc ...) oriented sort of a rogue-ish style.

All constructive comments much appreciated.

Psyren
2010-12-07, 11:23 AM
How about Wiz 3/Rogue 1 with acidic splatter reserve feat and/or some ray spells? This will set you up nicely for Unseen Seer/Spellwarp Sniper later, a decently damaging and sneaky build.

Keld Denar
2010-12-07, 11:54 AM
Spellthief?

Vladislav
2010-12-07, 11:59 AM
Rogue 1 / Duskblade 3

Make sure to get Craven and Knowledge Devotion feats.

Greatsword + Sneak attack + Power attack + channeling Shocking Grasp = 6d6+5 damage before various bonuses.

Fouredged Sword
2010-12-07, 01:07 PM
Take dagger spell mage after that and you can store shocking grasp in a dagger and channel shocking grasp at the same time for silly damage. Mix in blade of blood to taste for extra killing power.

One shot anything you can hit! (and you can UMD a wand of truestrike)

Vladislav
2010-12-07, 01:13 PM
Actually a Duskblade can cast True Strike normally, it's on their spell list. And from level 5, can even cast it as a swift action.

Nanoblack
2010-12-07, 01:14 PM
For the rare spectacular one shot kill, I like to put all five elemental burst enchantments on the same weapon (usually a musket) x3 crit= uber-goober damage... :smallcool:

Escheton
2010-12-07, 01:18 PM
Factotem3/wizard1

Kill them with your mind, without being a psion or a near-decapitated barb.

Balor01
2010-12-07, 03:35 PM
Nice suggestions :) I would kindly ask for you to add a few lines on how to play these chars/what feats to use/what they actually do. Real basics would be very cool since I am quite unfamiliar with classes outside core.

Vladislav
2010-12-07, 03:48 PM
Duskblade is in PHB2. There's a very nice handbook with guidelines to playing the class - google up "Duskblade handbook".

Fouredged Sword
2010-12-07, 06:40 PM
Duskblade is an in your face spellcaster with armor prof and casting / full bab. He doesn't get the high level spells, but he gets lots of low level spells. This blends well with a level of spellthief. I would set the build up something like this.

Spellthief 1 / duskblade 4 / dagger spell mage 10 / duskblade ->. Feats look like
1st twf, weapon focus dagger
3rd practiced spellcaster (retrain it away after 6th leve inso something useful)
6th - master spellthief.

You have good saves in all three saves, good (not full but good) bab, sneak attacks, spellcasting of agressive attack spells, spellcasting in medium armor. Early tactics are simple, kill things with channeled shocking grasp and sneak attacks. Flank with the party tank and drop foes. Close with with casters and steal thier spells to cast yourself. At high levels you get a free quicken on your spells if you make an attack for dex mod times per day, and you channel, and you store spells in your daggers.

Alternate leveling options are
rogue 2 / duskblade 3

This gets you evasion in place of stealing spells. You also loose the extra armor, but you don't want that anyway with evasion.