PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Paladin update for a specific game - PEACH

Vladislav
2010-12-07, 11:16 AM
Howdy,

For a specific game I intend to run, I need a Paladin-like class.

The hard requirements are:
- BAB, weapon and armor proficiencies as standard Paladin
- Spellcasting starts from level 1, and gets up to 5th level spells
- No unlimited Detect Evil (can still have it, just not unlimited uses)
- No ToB.

Here's my attempt, with only changes from the standard Paladin noted. I'm aiming for something slightly more powerful than the PHB Paladin, but not by much. Tier 4, maybe 3.

Spell Progression:

Spells per day
L 1 2 3 4 5
1 0 - - - -
2 0 - - - -
3 1 - - - -
4 1 - - - -
5 1 0 - - -
6 1 0 - - -
7 1 1 - - -
8 1 1 0 - -
9 1 1 1 - -
10 1 1 1 - -
11 2 1 1 0 -
12 2 1 2 1 -
13 2 2 2 1 -
14 2 2 2 1 0
15 3 2 2 1 1
16 3 2 3 2 1
17 3 4 3 2 1
18 3 4 3 3 1
19 4 4 3 3 2
20 4 4 4 4 2

Caster level is equal to class level. Spellcasting is spontaneous; does not memorize spells in advance, can cast any spell on the Paladin class list, assuming he has the slot.

List of level 5 spells: Atonement, Banishment, Cure Light Wounds, Mass, Dispel Magic, Greater, Disrupting Weapon, Hallow, Righteous Might, Spell Resistance, True Seeing

Detect Evil SLA 1/level per day rather than at will. Add Detect Evil to list of level 1 spells.

Hit Die: d8
Good saves: Will, For
Skill points: 4+Int
Class skills: Add Climb, Jump, Swim, Intimidate, Gather Information, Listen, Spot

Smite Evil ability: as standard Paladin, but replace "per day" with "per encounter"

Anything not mentioned above, as standard Paladin.

So, please comment.

Princess
2010-12-07, 03:17 PM
Looks good to me. Is there something you aren't sure of?

Vladislav
2010-12-07, 03:29 PM
Well, basically just general comments on power and where does it place relative to established classes; and if you think it's not placed where I intended to place him, any suggestions for a fix will be appreciated.

FishAreWet
2010-12-07, 04:09 PM
Why limit Detect Evil?:smallconfused:
My gut tells me to speed up initial casting progression but I'm basing this on nothing.

hamishspence
2010-12-07, 05:56 PM
Sounds a bit like a Divine version of the Duskblade.

The Duskblade was in PHB2 and was a full BAB class, that got arcane spellcasting, 0th and 1st level spells at 1st level, and got up to 5th level spells. Had armour proficiency, martial weapon proficiency, and shield proficiency. (FAQ may have clarified, I think, that it got simple weapon proficiency as well).

It's considered pretty well balanced- neither overpowered nor weak.

So doing a divine counterpart of that, seems like a reasonable goal.

Warclam
2010-12-07, 06:49 PM
Looks pretty good. Simple, but gets the job done. I too am wondering why there's a limit on detect evil. It's not a very powerful ability, but it's pretty iconic. Unless that's the problem, and you're trying to break the "detect evil, smite, ask questions later" cycle?

I agree that it sounds somewhat duskblade-y. My first thought is more along the lines of the mystic ranger, a ranger variant from dragon magazine #somesuch that grants 0-5 casting to rangers at the cost of some other class features. It's also a well-regarded class, so I think you're in distinguished company here.

gkathellar
2010-12-07, 09:32 PM
Looks fine: it's a likable mid-to-low-Tier 4 fix. No criticisms, since as you say that's you're balance point.