PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones Tabletop RPG

Fax Celestis
2010-12-07, 03:24 PM
Anyone played this (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=2724&it=1) system (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=2741&it=1)? Is it any good?

Dienekes
2010-12-07, 03:29 PM
Raid it for ideas on how to make characters die faster then leave it.

You'd hate how they handled classes; empty levels galore and rather useless abilities, overall it didn't make enough changes from v3.5 to come into it's own as it is it's rather depressing.

It does give great detail into the world of Westeros though, excellent character drawings and descriptions. The history of fantasy article in the beginning was rather interesting as well.

valadil
2010-12-07, 03:58 PM
I GMed the d20 version. It had some really awesome ideas and some very poor editing. I got the sense that all the editors already knew how the rules were supposed to work so they were biased when reading through looking for ambiguities and inconsistencies. This didn't actually hurt the game once we got around to playing, it just created more work as there were more situations requiring DM interpretation than I was used to.

I liked the social changes a lot. They let you invest points of influence in controlling various people or factions. The sub system for this was a little more complicated than one I would have designed and I had to keep a cheat sheet handy. But that's not entirely a bad thing, as complex systems are attractive to mechanically inclined players. The only problem I had was that my D&D accustomed players treated the party as a cohesive unit and they used their influence in tandem with each other rather than using it to covertly sabotage one another.

The biggest problem we had was that the system felt incomplete. There were references to forthcoming rulebooks which never forthcame. I also remember a couple non combat characters taking combat feats because they ran out of social feats that were appropriate. This happened by level 6. Were I to run the game again, I'd probably make up more feats or import them from 3.5.

Ozreth
2010-12-07, 04:04 PM
I know nothing about this game BUT a new game of thrones RPG just came out (not d20) and it looks pretty cool.

Typewriter
2010-12-07, 04:59 PM
I also haven't played the RPG, but figure you might be interested to know tha the game of thrones board game is a lot of fun. If you enjoy strategic board games with no chance involved (no dice).

hamlet
2010-12-07, 05:18 PM
The game is interesting, but in addition to the problems noted by those above has the added joy of taking place in the universe and in the shadow of the Game of Thrones books.

It's a great play on the d20 system I think, and worth the effort. Just have to understand the limits and scope of where the game shines and where it doesn't.

Set it 100 years prior to the first novel and go from there. It's not a game for happy go lucky adventuring parties.

RufusCorvus
2010-12-07, 06:52 PM
It's alright, with some interesting ideas behind it. I don't think I'd ever use it in full, though. It really doesn't feel like it should've used classes. At all.