View Full Version : A theory about shojo

mr man
2010-12-07, 04:12 PM
i was jest wondering about a few theories about shojo
one i was thinking about is it possible

that shojo transfered is mind in to his cat

squiremarcus
2010-12-07, 04:26 PM
well, do you have any form of proof, or for that matter anything at all to base this on? if shojo wanted to come back he would have done so via ressurection, so for now I'd just say he's dead

mr man
2010-12-07, 04:29 PM
well, do you have any form of proof, or for that matter anything at all to base this on? if shojo wanted to come back he would have done so via ressurection, so for now I'd just say he's dead

how could he be resurrected when he never died he transfered his mind

Mando Knight
2010-12-07, 04:29 PM
Shojo's narrative role as a living character was fulfilled back when he died. A reveal where he's actually possessing his cat is just pointless.

mr man
2010-12-07, 04:38 PM
Shojo's narrative role as a living character was fulfilled back when he died. A reveal where he's actually possessing his cat is just pointless.

maybe but he does have info on the gates that could be
helpful to the order in the future

Roland Itiative
2010-12-07, 05:07 PM
Except a cat can't talk... Ops, huge oversight in his master plan. You'd think someone who had the means to transfer his consciousness to a pet would also find a way to interact with those around him, oh well...

Plus, Shojo has already disclosed all the information he had on the gates, and, as Mando Knight said, fulfilled his narrative role. The Order is much more likely to get further info on the gates from a member of the Order of the Scribble itself (be it Gerard, or maybe even Serini)...

mr man
2010-12-07, 05:28 PM
Except a cat can't talk... Ops, huge oversight in his master plan. You'd think someone who had the means to transfer his consciousness to a pet would also find a way to interact with those around him, oh well...

he will communicate with Belkar though his dreams if they get reunited

squiremarcus
2010-12-07, 06:51 PM
how could he be resurrected when he never died he transfered his mind

so what you're telling me is that he predicted that Miko would kill him, and intead of wanting to be revived, he wanted to put his soul into a cat. HOw could that be more purposeful that being revived? His story is over with his death.

ThePhantasm
2010-12-07, 07:15 PM
If this was true it would make a lot of comics extra disgusting. Like the cat... um... licking himself... and showing affection for Belkar....

Chaos rising
2010-12-07, 08:03 PM
I doubt that he full on transfered his mind into Mr. Scruffy, but I think it's plausible that the cat sometimes channels Shojos spirit. This would explain how Shojo was able to appear to Belkar when he was afflicted with the Mark of Justice.

Zmflavius
2010-12-07, 10:39 PM
IIRC, he might not want to be revived because when Hinjo was trying to have him revived, Belkar mentioned that he would be put on trial as soon as he returned.

That said, yes, as mentioned above, his storyline purpose is finished, since he communicated all knowledge of the gates.

His talk with Belkar (and even then, it's debatable whether he actually appeared or was just a figment of Belkar's imagination) was on subjects completely unrelated to the gates.

And anyways, I think, as Belkar said, he's just going to be enjoying himself in the afterlife.

BridgeCity
2010-12-07, 10:44 PM
so what you're telling me is that he predicted that Miko would kill him, and intead of wanting to be revived, he wanted to put his soul into a cat. HOw could that be more purposeful that being revived? His story is over with his death.

Actually, there is a very good reason for Shojo not wanting to be revived. Belkar states it in the comic when Hinjo has his men attempt to bring Shojo back: all he has waiting for him is persecution and jail time, so why would he want to come back to that?

I'm not saying I think he transferred himself to his cat, I'm just saying that I feel he would be more likely to do that then come back to his old body.

Edit: Ninja'd

TimelordSimone
2010-12-08, 12:42 AM
I remember briefly thinking Shojo could be one of the Ghost Martyrs, which would have been way cooler than being a cat cool.
But apparently not.
Sigh.

Felixc-91
2010-12-08, 12:53 AM
I remember briefly thinking Shojo could be one of the Ghost Martyrs, which would have been way cooler than being a cat cool.
But apparently not.
Sigh.dudes not a paladin, remember?

Kife
2010-12-08, 01:10 AM
Or you're missing the obvious. Shojo is obviously a telepathic cat; possibly a shape-shifted eladrin. The old man was a willing accomplice. After all, every place the cat's been has been where Shojo was disclosing information before or after his dead.

Nevereatcars
2010-12-08, 01:12 AM
Guy's dead now. Let his corpse lie undisturbed. Shojo deserves better theories than this.

Nimrod's Son
2010-12-08, 01:20 AM
he will communicate with Belkar though his dreams
He'd better get a move on then. He hasn't said anything over the past year, and Belkar's gonna be dead in a few weeks.

I doubt that he full on transfered his mind into Mr. Scruffy, but I think it's plausible that the cat sometimes channels Shojos spirit. This would explain how Shojo was able to appear to Belkar when he was afflicted with the Mark of Justice.
There were several possible explanations for that given by Shojo in the strip in question. Why not just pick one of them? They're all MUCH more plausible than "the man is in the cat".

But apparently not.
Sigh.
Shojo was an aristocrat. He wasn't a warrior, and he certainly wasn't a paladin. It would make no sense for him to have been a ghost martyr.

derfenrirwolv
2010-12-08, 01:46 AM
It's been tossed about before, and would explain a rather unbelkar like insight during the hippie dream vision.

Only time will tell.

Felixc-91
2010-12-08, 02:04 AM
can we let this thread die now? its an insane theory that has very little potential to effect the comic any more even if it were true due to Belkar's impending death.

TimelordSimone
2010-12-08, 03:53 AM
dudes not a paladin, remember?

Shojo was an aristocrat. He wasn't a warrior, and he certainly wasn't a paladin. It would make no sense for him to have been a ghost martyr.

I said it would have been cool, not plausible. :P

He died in the throne room. He was part of the Sapphire Guard.

And I only briefly entertained the notion, anyway.
Makes more sense than him possessing a cat.

Dr.Epic
2010-12-08, 06:18 AM

How did he do this? To our knowledge Shojo has no magical powers. Not to mention there's no proof to support this.

Nimrod's Son
2010-12-08, 07:08 AM
Makes more sense than him possessing a cat.
Now that, I will grant you. :smallsmile:

Morquard
2010-12-08, 09:22 AM
He'd better get a move on then. He hasn't said anything over the past year, and Belkar's gonna be dead in a few weeks.

He's obviously waiting for Belkar to be dead too, that makes connecting so much easier. Yes I didn't say the plan was perfect

The fact that Belkar was at the brink of magical induced madness and simply IMAGINED Shojo never occured to you, did it?

mr man
2010-12-08, 10:56 AM
ok every one has a valid point and i except that but

1) shojo's awesome and a genius

2) they have been to every place he talked about

3) you cant be a ruler of a city like azure city for so long without picking up a few things

4) v also thought Miko would kill him and

5) there are no perfect plans

Cizak
2010-12-08, 12:16 PM
1) shojo's awesome and a genius

Just because he's awesome doesn't mean he gets the power to transfer his soul when he dies.

2) they have been to every place he talked about

a) No, neither Lirian's forest nor Kraagor' gate.
b) How does this support your theory in any way?

3) you cant be a ruler of a city like azure city for so long without picking up a few things

Yes, it's entirely possible to rule a city for a long time and still not learn how to transfer souls.

4) v also thought Miko would kill him and

Please view "b)" for 2).

5) there are no perfect plans

But there is such a thing as a plan with an actual point, something "your Shojo's plan" doesn't have.

mr man
2010-12-08, 12:59 PM
But there is such a thing as a plan with an actual point, something "your Shojo's plan" doesn't have.

his plan was not to die he might not be all on the good side of the alignment system is all i'm saying

Jay R
2010-12-08, 02:03 PM
"I am your uncle, Hinjo. ... Bring me a litter box."

Baveboi
2010-12-08, 02:58 PM
Why does anyone here sees the obvious troll? I mean, seriously?

Cizak
2010-12-08, 03:43 PM
his plan was not to die he might not be all on the good side of the alignment system is all i'm saying

So instead of kicking it back in the Chaotic Good afterlife, he chose to become a house cat. An eeeevil house cat. Suresure.

mr man
2010-12-08, 04:10 PM
So instead of kicking it back in the Chaotic Good afterlife, he chose to become a house cat. An eeeevil house cat. Suresure.

not evil just a bit shifty like all cats really

maybe he's not controlling the cat just riding along in the back of its mind

mr man
2010-12-08, 04:14 PM

actually i am a half orc :smallbiggrin:

mastermind
2010-12-08, 05:44 PM

I agree with this sentiment.

Zmflavius
2010-12-08, 08:28 PM
not evil just a bit shifty like all cats really

maybe he's not controlling the cat just riding along in the back of its mind

Sharing a mind with a cat. While in the subordinate position. The unpredictability of that strikes me as not being a master plan.

Jay R
2010-12-08, 09:31 PM

While I don't agree with the underlying theory, the life of a house cat does seem like a reasonably close facsimile of kicking it back in the Chaotic Good afterlife

littlekKID
2010-12-09, 03:43 AM
i was jest wondering about a few theories about shojo
one i was thinking about is it possible

Umm...How?

Shojo is not a spellcaster (and even if he was, I can't find any ''mind transfering'' spell), didn't had the time to do it (unless he can Time Stop at will, seconds before :miko: killed him) and have no reason to do it (the CG afterlife is pretty good, Why would he give up on it for being stuck in a small, useless, non talking, low on hit points body.:smallannoyed:

Baveboi
2010-12-09, 06:47 AM
@mr man
Half-orc Half-Troll, yeah I know. With "dislike for captal letters" template and "no avatar" class feature.

EDIT: HEY! You also joined this month AND it's your first thread? Yeaaaah...
Color me convinced.

For the love of god, can't people see reason? I mean... where's the point of explaining something that's obviously true to someone that's giving you the laugh?

Cizak
2010-12-09, 08:01 AM
While I don't agree with the underlying theory, the life of a house cat does seem like a reasonably close facsimile of kicking it back in the Chaotic Good afterlife

Not when said cat has to follow a homocidal halfling around the world on a journey to stop a mad being made purely of evil energy that's trying to take over the world.

faustin
2010-12-09, 08:42 AM
I still think it´s possible for Shojo´s phantom to use Mr Scruffy as a living anchor (similar to Eugene with Roy´s ancestral sword). Even as a Chaotic Good machiavelic ruler, Shojo was very concerned about his people and the Sapphire ultimate goal, so the same that Hinjo chose his path after the disolution of his Order (recovering the city and help TOoS to defeat Xykon and protect the remaining Gates) so did Shojo, in a very chaotic manner.

mr man
2010-12-09, 11:25 AM
I still think it´s possible for Shojo´s phantom to use Mr Scruffy as a living anchor (similar to Eugene with Roy´s ancestral sword). Even as a Chaotic Good machiavelic ruler, Shojo was very concerned about his people and the Sapphire ultimate goal, so the same that Hinjo chose his path after the disolution of his Order (recovering the city and help TOoS to defeat Xykon and protect the remaining Gates) so did Shojo, in a very chaotic manner.

ok scrap my theory this is way better i have seen that
my theory is a bit unplausible but i still like it

Francis Davey
2010-12-09, 01:11 PM
Well, its something I've had in my mind for some time now, but I can't make any sense of it. All the arguments deployed in this thread against it make perfect sense, but on the other hand Mr Scruffy seems rather odd and out of place in some indefinable way. Maybe he really is the ruler of the city. Or maybe it makes for nice misdirection.

If there were anything in it, I guess it would have to either be some kind of soul linked to/riding around with the cat (explaining Belkar's dream) or something like the old first ed polymorphs where you changed into a creature but did not retain your memory.

The only point in this idea's favour is that Shojo was utterly devious, capable of being highly dishonest and used misdirection as a central part of his life.

I'm glad someone else asked the question though, I was too shy to say anything, but its been bothering me for ages.

mr man
2010-12-10, 04:27 PM
Well, its something I've had in my mind for some time now, but I can't make any sense of it. All the arguments deployed in this thread against it make perfect sense, but on the other hand Mr Scruffy seems rather odd and out of place in some indefinable way. Maybe he really is the ruler of the city. Or maybe it makes for nice misdirection.

If there were anything in it, I guess it would have to either be some kind of soul linked to/riding around with the cat (explaining Belkar's dream) or something like the old first ed polymorphs where you changed into a creature but did not retain your memory.

The only point in this idea's favour is that Shojo was utterly devious, capable of being highly dishonest and used misdirection as a central part of his life.

I'm glad someone else asked the question though, I was too shy to say anything, but its been bothering me for ages.

yay someone who thinks it's plausible lets get the mad theory's train roiling