PDA

View Full Version : Do You Remember the '90s?

The Rose Dragon
2010-12-07, 04:22 PM
Weren't they crazy?

I mean, we had things like Kurt Cobain's suicide and Ricky Martin still in the closet and The Phantom Menace and that What is Love? song and Freddie Mercury's death.

I just realized that it's less than a month before we enter a whole new decade of '10s, and felt kind of nostalgic and old. Soon, the cycle will begin anew and someone will look back upon the aughts and deem it a crazy decade.

((Apologies to anyone who went through the same thing about the '80s.))

Nameless
2010-12-07, 04:30 PM
Eh, as far as mainstream fashion and music goes, it sort of sucked actually. Actually, the entire 90's mainstream sucked. I mean;
http://www.manbehindthedoll.com/images/scpho.jpg

What the Hell? It's like the late 80's gave up trying.

Salbazier
2010-12-07, 04:33 PM
My age was single-digit for most of the era, so no, not really. Not those stuffs like 'music and fashion' at least :smalltongue:

Ichneumon
2010-12-07, 04:34 PM
I remember the '90s.

Emperor Ing
2010-12-07, 04:38 PM
Eh, at least it wasn't the 50s. :smalltongue:

Katana_Geldar
2010-12-07, 04:38 PM
Fluro coloured clothes, bike pants, slap bands, swatch watches, care bears (though they were more 80's), virtual pets, Seinfeld...yeah I remember the 90's.

smellie_hippie
2010-12-07, 04:43 PM
I remember the '90s.

I don't. I was drunk. :smallamused:

The Rose Dragon
2010-12-07, 04:43 PM

For 10 whole years?

I don't think that is healthy for your liver. Or your tongue.

Quincunx
2010-12-07, 04:46 PM
Fluro coloured clothes,
'80s. . .

bike pants,
'80s. . .

slap bands,
'89. . .

swatch watches,
'80s. . .

care bears (though they were more 80's)
. . .'80s.

...yeah I remember the 90's.
Not entirely convinced. :smallyuk:

Katana_Geldar
2010-12-07, 04:51 PM
Hey, I live in Australia, we were a little late to the party.

Okay, Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys then? Free Willy, The Simpsons, South Park, platform shoes came back as well.

wxdruid
2010-12-07, 05:31 PM
The main thing I remember from the 90s is the popular music all going downhill. Stopped listening to the radio at that point and just bought the music I liked from the 80s. :smallamused: :smalltongue:

I also joined the military in the mid 90s

Sneak
2010-12-07, 05:36 PM
I was born in 1993. I don't remember too much of the 90s, and my experience as a five year old probably wasn't terribly representative of the 90s anyway.

Innis Cabal
2010-12-07, 05:43 PM
The Simpsons

80's. 87 to be exact.

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-07, 05:44 PM
Hm. I don't remember much of the 90s, I was quite young for most of them. I was in Germany for the parts I remember, cut off from English-language TV. Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys I remember. Pogs, pokemon.

Erloas
2010-12-07, 05:45 PM
The only thing I really remember about the 90s was that nothing good seemed to happen. It was a very forgettable decade.

Eldan
2010-12-07, 05:49 PM
I remember the eighties, yeah. But for me, that meant school, mostly. I didn't care about the music, and no one I know ever wore any typical 90s fashion, if I look at pictures considered "typical". Everyone just wore T-shirts and shorts. Never saw many baseball caps either.
For most of that time I also wasn't allowed to watch much TV by my parents, so that's out as well.

My nineties nostalgia consists of adventure games, Lego and historical fiction books. I only really discovered fantasy and SciFi in the 2000s.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-07, 05:53 PM
I remember Pokemon. Does that count? :smalltongue:

Innis Cabal
2010-12-07, 05:54 PM
You are kidding I hope? This thread seems to cast an eye on the pop and flash of media and things of that nature. I remember the 90's for several things unmentionable on these boards with a massive and significant impact. The Hubble Telescope and Galileo passing Jupiter. The first successful clone. The Channel Tunnel. Lance Armstrong winning the Tour De France for the first time and a myriad other things.

Hardly a forgettable decade by any stretch of the imagination.

darbythegambler
2010-12-07, 05:54 PM
I was a bit sheltered during this time... but then again, I was only a baby :smallredface: although I will always remember what I did in those years... fought with my brother to decide who gets to play the Gameboy :smallbiggrin:

CrimsonAngel
2010-12-07, 05:55 PM
Considering I was born in 1996... A little bit! Pokemon was one of the first shows I ever watched. Mom was flipping through the channels and I got really excited when she got to Pokemon. good times. :smallcool:

I still have my first Gameboy. :smallredface:

Katana_Geldar
2010-12-07, 06:01 PM
I was born in '84 and I remember quite a bit of the '90s, but when you're young you are more focused on yourself than anything else.

I remember Princess Diana's death and the Oklahoma bombing though.

arguskos
2010-12-07, 06:22 PM
I remember that the 90s were FANTASTIC economically, at least here in the states. It was a fine time to be a business owner! No one had money issues in the 90s, at least not without doing something absurdly foolish and stupid.

Katana_Geldar
2010-12-07, 06:30 PM
Um, there was the recession, right? I think it was in 94.

No, 90-91 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_1990s_recession).

I remember the first time I went on the Internet in '95, it was a big thing then.

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-07, 06:42 PM
flanel, hey arnold!, and grunge

and i liked it dammit

Innis Cabal
2010-12-07, 06:48 PM
Um, there was the recession, right? I think it was in 94.

No, 90-91 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_1990s_recession).

I remember the first time I went on the Internet in '95, it was a big thing then.

America goes through a "Recession" every 10 years. And I mean like clockwork. Every 0 has a recession since the 60's. So that's really not that great of a standard to go off simply because there was an eight month recession. The rest of the 90's saw significant economic growth in America until (you guessed it) 2000, ten years after the last.

Fri
2010-12-07, 06:51 PM
The nineties eh? It might be the only decade when I was truly happy. Ah, youth.

And I remember that decade as the decade where we thought everything is possible, economy is great, the future is near, technology will solve everything and everything. At least in my country. We were having such a great time, was going to finally got away from being merely a developed country, built our own plane, and such.

Until the 98 recession. Man, those were the days...

But beside having fun as a kid, I don't remember much.

Demon 997
2010-12-07, 07:14 PM
I was born in 1994 so not really. On the other hand I've had the internet my whole life so that is nice. Some of the late nineties kids TV shows were great. Wishbone, Magic School Bus, Crab Brothers, etc.

Haruki-kun
2010-12-07, 07:16 PM
I remember the 90s. Hey, Arnold! The Rugrats, Dexter who was a boy genius not a killer...

The 90s rule.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-07, 07:18 PM
Considering I was born in 1996... A little bit! Pokemon was one of the first shows I ever watched. Mom was flipping through the channels and I got really excited when she got to Pokemon. good times. :smallcool:

I still have my first Gameboy. :smallredface:

Well, I was born in 1994, but yeah. Same sort of memories.

Gorgondantess
2010-12-07, 07:26 PM
PokemonPokemonPokemonPokemonPokemonPokemonPokemonP okemonPokemonPokemonPokemonPokemonPokemonPokemonPo kemonPokemonPokemonPokemonPokemon......:biggrin:
Oh, and then there was the NSYNC and Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears, but I didn't even care for music back then, so they were just silly little things that I, for the most part, ignored.
In the end, all I really cared about was Pokemon. Oh, and Gargoyles! That show was awesome.

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-07, 07:27 PM
'92

i rocked flanel in first school. i went to ISS in kindergarten for hitting a kid in the face with a toy dump truck, i wasn't allowed to watch the simpsons, but i did anyways.

EDIT: and i had a large backstreet boys shrine in my closet

EDIT EDIT: "Who's that girl? What's her name? Is she cool? Is she lame? Oh, you're talking about what's her name?"

Katana_Geldar
2010-12-07, 08:00 PM
Darkwing Duck was an awesome show.

Violet Octopus
2010-12-07, 08:54 PM
The death of some royal figure I knew nothing about. The Martin Bryant mass shooting in Tasmania and the resultant gun buyback scheme. Mad cow disease. East Asian economic crisis in 1998, I think?

My mum pinning World AIDS Day ribbons to me every December 1st, and my resultant being laughed at by other kids in the playground.

Paul Jennings books. Goosebumps. Animorphs. Magic: The Gathering.

ABC TV oversaturated with Nickelodeon cartoons. There seemed to be a few years with no Australian children's content apart from Round the Twist.

Captain Planet. Beast Wars. A starship lost in the Delta Quadrant with an awesome hologram Doctor. The theme music to the awesome satire Frontline (http://www.youtube.com/user/WelcomeToFrontline#p/u/67/jFBM6Rpjxts). I spent a decade occasionally remembering that theme tune, having no idea what it was from, before studying the show in high school.

Myst. The N64, unnecessary 3D and analogue sticks that got gritty when you played Mario Party. Total Annihilation and Starcraft.

Awesome dialup modems with that groovy connection noise. The last decade where you weren't expected to have a mobile phone on you, and you could still find a telephone booth.

Katana_Geldar
2010-12-07, 09:02 PM
Remember grinding the stick for Mario Party? It was the only way you could play some of the games like the fishing one. When people complained Nintendo gave them gloves, then stopped putting things like that in the games.

What about the show A*mazing?

CrimsonAngel
2010-12-07, 09:09 PM
PokemonPokemonPokemonPokemonPokemonPokemonPokemonP okemonPokemonPokemonPokemonPokemonPokemonPokemonPo kemonPokemonPokemonPokemonPokemon......:biggrin:
Oh, and then there was the NSYNC and Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears, but I didn't even care for music back then, so they were just silly little things that I, for the most part, ignored.
In the end, all I really cared about was Pokemon. Oh, and Gargoyles! That show was awesome.

I miss Gargoyles.

The Rose Dragon
2010-12-07, 09:19 PM
The first successful clone.

That's the '50s. The first successful mammal cloned was '80s.

Innis Cabal
2010-12-07, 09:21 PM
That's the '50s. The first successful mammal cloned was '80s.

I meant mammal, and no. Polly was deemed successful in 1997. That's in no way the 80's.

CrimsonAngel
2010-12-07, 09:22 PM
Yay for sheep.

Assassin89
2010-12-07, 09:22 PM
Being Born in 1989, the first ten or so years of my life were spent in the 90's.

I remember video games, like the Nintendo 64, the Gameboy, and the Gameboy Pocket.

I also watched shows on Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and Disney Channel and my first exposure to anime was through shows like Voltron, Speed Racer, and Card Captors.

There was also music, which I didn't really care about very much.

Katana_Geldar
2010-12-07, 09:24 PM
Dolly the sheep (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_the_sheep) was 1995.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-07, 09:25 PM
Being Born in 1989, the first ten or so years of my life were spent in the 90's.

I remember video games, like the Nintendo 64, the Gameboy, and the Gameboy Pocket.

I also watched shows on Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and Disney Channel and my first exposure to anime was through shows like Voltron, Speed Racer, and Card Captors.

There was also music, which I didn't really care about very much.

Oh, I remember Card Captors. Only Shojo I've ever cared about.

Innis Cabal
2010-12-07, 09:26 PM
Dolly was actually born on July 5th, which you'll note in your article in the (). I was off a year. Molly was born 1997. The fact remains, that's not the 80's.

The Rose Dragon
2010-12-07, 09:29 PM
I meant mammal, and no. Polly was deemed successful in 1997. That's in no way the 80's.

The first mammal cloned was a rat, not a sheep. Dolly was the first animal cloned from an adult somatic cell, rather than the first mammal cloned.

Orzel
2010-12-07, 09:29 PM
I remember...

Mainsteam Hip hop was only 50% suck
Yuppies stayed out of Brooklyn
and nineties style antiheroes

Temotei
2010-12-07, 09:38 PM
My year is 1992, so a lot of it is childhood stuff.

Then again, childhood was great, so...yeah. I prefer the ages of fifteen to now, so far, but innocence has something shiny about it that I'll miss greatly.

Let's see...many Disney movies, multitasking without any of the tasks being work, street hockey, street baseball, tag, hide and go seek, Ollie Ollie oxen free, ghosts in the graveyard, Pokémon, Gargoyles, Hey Arnold!...Angry Beavers, I think. Ren and Stimpy? Rock-O! Dexter's Lab (La-bor-a-tory :smallamused:).

Yeah, good times, I think. :smallcool:

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-07, 09:42 PM
My year is 1992, so a lot of it is childhood stuff.

Then again, childhood was great, so...yeah. I prefer the ages of fifteen to now, so far, but innocence has something shiny about it that I'll miss greatly.

Let's see...many Disney movies, multitasking without any of the tasks being work, street hockey, street baseball, tag, hide and go seek, Ollie Ollie oxen free, ghosts in the graveyard, Pokémon, Gargoyles, Hey Arnold!...Angry Beavers, I think. Ren and Stimpy? Rock-O! Dexter's Lab (La-bor-a-tory :smallamused:).

Yeah, good times, I think. :smallcool:

ahh! real monsters, recess, pepper anne, catdog, rocko's modern life, are you afraid of the dark, goosebumps....

Katana_Geldar
2010-12-07, 09:44 PM
Doug

And despite what someone said earlier about The Simpsons starting in '87, that doesn't really count as back then it was just shorts from the Tracy Ulman Show. The Simpsons really is a 90's show, it's when it became really popular (like the episode Bart Gets an F) and I consider all the best episodes happened then. Unlike now...*shudders*

Cobra_Ikari
2010-12-07, 09:44 PM
I was born in February of '89, which puts me at just before 11 when the 90's ended. So while I remember them, most important things are through the "I have no idea why my parents are so concerned about this, I'm gonna go play now" lenses. And pop culture, I wish I didn't remember.

I'm looking at you, Hanson. v.v

CrimsonAngel
2010-12-07, 09:45 PM
I kinda miss Pepper Anne. And Doug. :smallfrown: I can't remember anything about them, though.

Temotei
2010-12-07, 09:46 PM
ahh! real monsters, recess, pepper anne, catdog, rocko's modern life, are you afraid of the dark, goosebumps....

Catdog was awesome. So was Recess. The others I didn't watch all too much.

Doug

Oh, yeah. I miss that show, too.

The '90s had great cartoons. Geez. :smalltongue:

Winter_Wolf
2010-12-07, 09:50 PM

Pretty much the same for me. Frankly I don't think that I missed much by not being able to remember that decade.

Chambers
2010-12-07, 09:50 PM
I remember the first internet we had in the house. AOL dialup 14.4K modem. Woot.

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-07, 09:51 PM
Catdog was awesome. So was Recess. The others I didn't watch all too much.

Oh, yeah. I miss that show, too.

The '90s had great cartoons. Geez. :smalltongue:

that's because they had morals dammit.

character has a problem
character slves problem the wrong way
character gets in over his/her head
character needs help to get out
character learns lesson
kid learns lesson.

Serpentine
2010-12-07, 09:53 PM
80's. 87 to be exact.Started in the '80s. Defined the '90s.

The death of some royal figure I knew nothing about. The Martin Bryant mass shooting in Tasmania and the resultant gun buyback scheme. Mad cow disease. East Asian economic crisis in 1998, I think?

My mum pinning World AIDS Day ribbons to me every December 1st, and my resultant being laughed at by other kids in the playground.

Paul Jennings books. Goosebumps. Animorphs. Magic: The Gathering.

ABC TV oversaturated with Nickelodeon cartoons. There seemed to be a few years with no Australian children's content apart from Round the Twist.

Captain Planet. Beast Wars. A starship lost in the Delta Quadrant with an awesome hologram Doctor. The theme music to the awesome satire Frontline (http://www.youtube.com/user/WelcomeToFrontline#p/u/67/jFBM6Rpjxts). I spent a decade occasionally remembering that theme tune, having no idea what it was from, before studying the show in high school.

Myst. The N64, unnecessary 3D and analogue sticks that got gritty when you played Mario Party. Total Annihilation and Starcraft.

Awesome dialup modems with that groovy connection noise. The last decade where you weren't expected to have a mobile phone on you, and you could still find a telephone booth.Hmmm. I suspect that we are about the same age, because almost all of that at least sounds familiar, and more than doesn't triggers nostalgia buttons. You an '86 baby?
Remember grinding the stick for Mario Party? It was the only way you could play some of the games like the fishing one. When people complained Nintendo gave them gloves, then stopped putting things like that in the games.I got BLISTERS from that game.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-07, 09:53 PM
Why are people happy about Goosebumps? They were horrible.

CrimsonAngel
2010-12-07, 09:56 PM
They were short and not very scary... only the ending was ever good. I still read them all the time anyway.

Mando Knight
2010-12-07, 09:57 PM
America goes through a "Recession" every 10 years. And I mean like clockwork. Every 0 has a recession since the 60's. So that's really not that great of a standard to go off simply because there was an eight month recession. The rest of the 90's saw significant economic growth in America until (you guessed it) 2000, ten years after the last.

It's closer to every four to eight years. Just in time for people to blame it on the incumbent president and ruin either him or his party for re-election. Because that's America's real favorite pastime: blaming nearly-uncontrollable things on important people. No, wait, that's humanity's in general.

90s things that I remember:
Major LEGO playset themes, and the years in which most of them were introduced... starting at around 1992.

When Sonic the Hedgehog was the awesomest thing ever. That is, from the time Sonic 2 came out until sometime after S3&K.

Windows, from 3.1 to '98.
Also, Commander Keen 4 & 5. They and the Game Gear Sonic 2 were some of my earliest games.

Pokémon coming in like a Japanese juggernaut. In 1998, when it first came to US shores, I was 9. Yes, that means I was part of the original target audience in the US.

Nintendo 64, including the original Smash Bros, Podracing, and Mario Party 1... though I only had those by 1999, the very tail-end of the 90s.

I got BLISTERS from that game.Back in the day, my siblings dreaded those minigames because I was fantastic at spinning the stick. Then all our N64 controllers wore out.

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-07, 09:58 PM

sme of them them were so horrible the were god

ForzaFiori
2010-12-07, 09:58 PM
Born in 91, so I remember some of the 90s.
I remember hating most pop music, and growing up listening to classic rock.
Trading card games started, and I took part in almost every fad there was.
The N64 and PlayStation were epic and had the best graphics.
Mario Party was the best game ever.
Moms didn't go through every piece of candy you got for Halloween.
Nickelodeon had the best cartoons on TV.
Math only had numbers in it, which is something I really miss.
I probably got into a fight a week, and maybe had lunch detention for it, instead of OSS or jailtime like happens now.
My computer ran Windows 3.1, and still works. Personally, I say its from never having an internet connection.

Katana_Geldar
2010-12-07, 10:00 PM

I'm not really sure, it was like an in thing to have them. The twist in the story was always fun though.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-07, 10:02 PM
I'm not really sure, it was like an in thing to have them. The twist in the story was always fun though.

I guess. Does 2000 count as part of the 90's? (Dumb question, I know)

Cobra_Ikari
2010-12-07, 10:15 PM

They were fun, I thought. I don't ever remember being scared by them, but I enjoyed them in a sort of...black humor sort of way.

Orzel
2010-12-07, 10:19 PM
Great
Cause of this thread..
...all I can think of is Rugrats quotes

"Any idiot can see a dotted line!'

*tries to hold in laughter*

golentan
2010-12-07, 10:20 PM
I remembers me the nineties. Most of my memories are actually political and so not board safe, but I also remember me some cultural artifacts. The rise of the boy band, for example. Various Nickelodeon shows played a role in my childhood, too. I had a first hand view of the rise of internet populism and the transmigration of computers into everyday life and entertainment. The penning of numerous books, some trainwrecks (Left Behind) some enjoyable (VARLEY!!! :smallbiggrin:).

I kind of liked the zeitgeist, but never felt part of it, though. Never knew what was fashionable, never paid attention to the same things as my peers. One of the hazards of most of your cultural references being pre-roman. :smallsigh:

And to the people saying "the music sucked, I liked the eighties" or words to that effect, we evidently have different definitions of music. See, I use that word to mean music: a pleasing arrangement of notes which inspires intellectual and emotional engagement. You evidently mean "Simplistic noise spewed out by someone whose only qualifications for their career are the size of their hair and how they look done up in spandex and bad makeup."

Then again, for most of the oughts it could also mean "swearing randomly in front of a microphone," so lately I've been more charitable towards the eighties.

Cristo Meyers
2010-12-07, 10:21 PM
Lesse...7 in 1990, 17 at the end. I remember watching the Simpsons religiously, Magic: the Gathering actually had commercials (my cousin and I were the ones responsible for getting Magic banned in our respective schools), Comedy Central was worth watching even though The Daily Show was wasted space, Deep Space Nine was bringing down that shiny image The Next Generation had built up, no one was watching Babylon 5, I more or less grew up watching Nickelodeon, Saturday Morning cartoons were actually cartoons...

...and VH1 started showing I Love the 80s. Just couldn't escape bad nostalgia.

I got BLISTERS from that game.

I'm relatively certain at least one of my hand scars is from a bad blister from playing Nintendo...either Dragon Warrior (we were convinced that mashing A helped in combat) or Mario Party.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-12-07, 10:26 PM
Remember grinding the stick for Mario Party? It was the only way you could play some of the games like the fishing one. When people complained Nintendo gave them gloves, then stopped putting things like that in the games.

That was the 90's? o_o

I didn't just get blisters, I'd keep going until I had a raw spot in the center of my palm. That game was not designed for competitive people. >.<

Temotei
2010-12-07, 10:32 PM
Moms didn't go through every piece of candy you got for Halloween.

Mum never did that for me. She would just glance at my pillowcase/pumpkin bowl/other pillowcase.

Cristo Meyers
2010-12-07, 10:38 PM
That was the 90's? o_o

US release for Mario Party was 02/08/1999. Over a decade ago.

Feeling old yet? :smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2010-12-07, 10:48 PM
That was the 90's? o_o

I didn't just get blisters, I'd keep going until I had a raw spot in the center of my palm. That game was not designed for competitive people. >.<

I'm pretty sure I didn't get any blisters from the game. Just callouses. Which made my stick-spinning even more fearsome, since I could take a lot more of it than my siblings generally could.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-12-07, 10:54 PM
US release for Mario Party was 02/08/1999. Over a decade ago.

Feeling old yet? :smalltongue:

Wow. It came out on my 10th birthday. I didn't even remember that. >.<

Cristo Meyers
2010-12-07, 10:58 PM
Wow. It came out on my 10th birthday. I didn't even remember that. >.<

It's amazing just how long some things have been around when you stop and look.

Futurama and Family Guy? Both '99. The original CSI and Survivor? 2000.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time? '98.

...I'm going to stop now, I think I just found some more grey hairs...

CoffeeIncluded
2010-12-07, 11:04 PM
Well, I'm only 17, but...

Well, pokemon, obviously. :smalltongue: Cartoons like Hey Arnold, going online on crappy (Well, now it is) dialup for the first time...Good times, good times. :smallbiggrin:

Violet Octopus
2010-12-07, 11:12 PM
You an '86 baby?
'87. Young enough to be terrified by Captain Planet. I'd try to miss the show and only tune in for the PSA at the end of each episode.

90s things that I remember:
Major LEGO playset themes, and the years in which most of them were introduced... starting at around 1992.
How could I forget LEGO? Spyrius, Aquazone and Slizers were great fun. Then it deteriorated into endless iterations of Bionicles. The '97 UFO sets were another letdown.

AshDesert
2010-12-07, 11:13 PM
Born in 1993 here, so the N64. Pokemon. Good cartoons on Nick (Hey Arnold, Doug, Recess, Rugrats, Dexter's Lab, the list goes on forever). The Cosby Show on Nick at Night. Watching Star Trek and Doctor Who with my dad. Being introduced to Star Wars with the '97 (I think) rereleases. The Internet. The Simpsons and the start of Family Guy.

The music of the last 30 years (in my opinion at least) has been steady decline through the '80's that farted out terrible music by the end, a brief, shining moment of awesome in the early '90's, and then crap (mainstream stuff at least) for the last 15 years, so even though I was too young to remember it, the music was great for part of it.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-12-07, 11:13 PM
Well, I'm only 17, but...

Well, pokemon, obviously. :smalltongue: Cartoons like Hey Arnold, going online on crappy (Well, now it is) dialup for the first time...Good times, good times. :smallbiggrin:

Congrats, you just made me feel ancient! =D

Here's how! Warning, I'm a bit slow. >.<

"17? 17 isn't old enough to get the full 90's?"
"17 means born in...1993."
"Wait, my little sister was born in 1992."
"My little sister is 18?"
"OMG, my little sister is 18?! D="

Serpentine
2010-12-07, 11:35 PM
It's amazing just how long some things have been around when you stop and look.

Futurama and Family Guy? Both '99. The original CSI and Survivor? 2000.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time? '98.

...I'm going to stop now, I think I just found some more grey hairs...See, I go "They were released in '99 and 2000. Oh, that's not very long ago at all."

"More than ten years ago?! Ye gods!"

Mando Knight
2010-12-08, 12:19 AM
How could I forget LEGO? Spyrius, Aquazone and Slizers were great fun. Then it deteriorated into endless iterations of Bionicles. The '97 UFO sets were another letdown.
'94, '95, and... '98? Could have been '99...
...Let me check... Yep. Slizer/Throwbots were '99, but I got the starting years for the other two right on the money. :smallamused:

Actually, those early years are blending together... I have to think a while if I want to sort out the chronological order.:smallsigh: Doesn't help that in the early-mid '90s, there were concurrent continuation of Space, Pirate, and Castle theme sets (of those three, Pirates were the newest, being introduced in '89), along with the introduction of Aquazone and Wild West themes, and one-off themes like Rock Raiders, Divers (that one had to be in '97, though. I used one of that series' minisubs for a diorama in grade school), and Time Cruisers. And Ninjas. And Res-Q. And that it's hard to remember which City/Town retools occurred when.

Katana_Geldar
2010-12-08, 12:21 AM
In the 90's you could also get an entire lego Death Star.

First of the Thrawn Trilogy came out in '91.

Orzel
2010-12-08, 12:27 AM
Old smold
It's still 2002 and I'm still a 18

/denial

Remember when people went to the arcade to play fighting games against each other.

That was old school "Online" play

Street Fighter 2, Super Street Fighter, Art of Fighting, Samurai Showdown, King of Fighters '94, KOF '95,KOF '96, KOF '97, KOF '98, KOF '99

Katana_Geldar
2010-12-08, 12:28 AM
Remember when arcades were still around? You hardly see them now and the ones you see are full of games from Japan. Not that I have anything against Japan, just Japanese pop songs.

Mando Knight
2010-12-08, 12:30 AM
In the 90's you could also get an entire lego Death Star.

Nope. Not the official $300-ish one, anyway. The Death Star II was released after the Imperial Star Destroyer, and the latter was released around... 7 years ago? (Again, looked it up afterwards, and it was 8. DSII was 2005.)

Orzel
2010-12-08, 12:31 AM
I know right. Every pizzeria, sandwich shop, candy store and barbershop in the hood had a fighting game in it.

Mando Knight
2010-12-08, 12:34 AM
I know right. Every pizzeria, sandwich shop, candy store and barbershop in the hood had a fighting game in it.

And/or old Pac-Man/Galaga cabinets.

Violet Octopus
2010-12-08, 12:37 AM
The late 90s were also the time of the Star Wars Special Edition rereleases, which were what really got me into it. It was also the time of great optimism about the prequels :P

I kinda liked Jar Jar as a kid though. Not his dialogue so much as the general Gungan character design. Then again I liked Neelix as well.

Orzel
2010-12-08, 12:37 AM
And/or old Pac-Man/Galaga cabinets.

or a racing game cabinet

rakkoon
2010-12-08, 01:53 AM
I started going out in the nineties, first kiss and all. Also met my wife in '99 so that still counts :smallsmile:
The funny thing is that I went out to music of the eighties and seventies (new wave and punk) so my nostalgic music is a bit confusing.

Mando Knight
2010-12-08, 01:57 AM
The funny thing is that I went out to music of the eighties and seventies (new wave and punk) so my nostalgic music is a bit confusing.

That's because the sixties through the eighties produced in one year, each year, at least as much good music as the entirety of the 90s.

rakkoon
2010-12-08, 03:54 AM
That depends. What's really confusing is that we went out to alternative music (new wave, punk) or early house(bonsai (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNuV77IC1rk) and such). If they give a retro of the nineties however they give us the pop songs of that era. But that's not what we went out to or listened to. Gives you a weird perspective on the musical era

SDF
2010-12-08, 04:51 AM
@^^: That is just blatantly untrue. The 90's had some amazing music.

Eh, as far as mainstream fashion and music goes, it sort of sucked actually. Actually, the entire 90's mainstream sucked. I mean;
http://www.manbehindthedoll.com/images/scpho.jpg

What the Hell? It's like the late 80's gave up trying.

I still see people dressed like that fairly often. The clothes and hair are pretty generic, but that is what you get from a Simon Fuller creation.

I was well in my teens by the end of the decade, and remember it well. Robotech was my favorite show, (go figure) Mega Man X was my favorite video game, and the TV was far more enjoyable. Does anyone remember that show The Odyssey that had a really young Jewel Staite in it? Ooh, or the Nickelodeon remake of The Tomorrow People?

Lillith
2010-12-08, 05:29 AM
Ho boy... the nineties. First half of my childhood years. I vaguely remember losing my aunt and gaining a new cousin in the same year. I remember the bands like Backstreet Boys and the Spice Girls and how we'd get crazy over them. I spend all my primary school years in the nineties. I remember envying classmates of mine who had a SNES and then me finally getting a N64 with Mario on it. And the Zelda games. And all the different Gameboys I had except the original.

And wow the cartoons I watched during that time. Gargoyles, the crazy Pokemon trend, and a lot of cartoons I watched when I was small like Three Little Ghosts and Bob in the Bottle.

I also remember getting bullied till I left my first primary school and had to switch schools cause fellow students were threatening to murder me. Having to go into therapy and being socially crippled permanently. :smallannoyed:

Edit: I am not joking.

darbythegambler
2010-12-08, 06:01 AM
Old smold
It's still 2002 and I'm still a 18

/denial

Remember when people went to the arcade to play fighting games against each other.

That was old school "Online" play

Street Fighter 2, Super Street Fighter, Art of Fighting, Samurai Showdown, King of Fighters '94, KOF '95,KOF '96, KOF '97, KOF '98, KOF '99

Winner keeps the quarter, ah the good old days :smallcool: i can technically blame those games for my rather large size, since all those quarters i won ended up buying me a twix and a sprite and a meal for my brother who would always win the rest of my winnings :smalleek:

Trog
2010-12-08, 08:07 AM
Well I'll start it with the Berlin Wall coming down even though that was a few months before, technically. The birth of The Seattle Sound - Grunge and all the bands that popped up Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, etc. And here's another list of random things about the 90's as they come to me in no particular order:

Dee-Lite's song Groove is in the Heart, Ren and Stimpy, flannel, my first car, my first new car, turning 21, drinking on Wednesday nights at the bar with friends to "tae a mid week break" from college and the bartender had our drinks on the bar before we sat down. House parties, dating, partial solar eclipse and the shadows of everything turning into little crescents, The smell of sharpies and of turpentine and linseed oil, cheese fights, my cats, wedding, moving to the Twin Cities, The Cranberries, NIN (though technically I started listening to them in the 80's, really), Seinfeld, roommates, Moose and Sadies and the House of Balls, Getting dragged to the Gay 90's, Late night Perkins discussions, working in that place Dilbert worked in, Working at the Mall of America as a part time job on top of that, pregnancy, moving back to Wisconsin, Birth of my sons, N64 and Ocarina of Time, Teletubbies >.<, rediscovering my childhood through my sons (if, indeed, it ever left :smalltongue:), living in the ghetto, house purchasing, working for the newspaper and being constantly moved all over as they kept buying new properties, getting put in charge of several departments, fatherhood, Gaming... lots of gaming... always gaming...

dish
2010-12-08, 12:09 PM
I spent the New Year of 89 to 90 in Prague, Czechoslovakia (it still was Czechoslovakia then) and New Year 99 to 00 in Nanchang, China.

In between I:
- did some studying (never any more than I had to). Got a bachelor's degree, a PGCE and a CELTA.
- worked a bit - had my first three proper jobs.
- partied a lot.

I remember staying up all night in our student flat watching Baghdad get bombed the first time round - I was frantically trying to finish an essay (already overdue), but my flatmates were freaked out by the idea of the country being at war, and kept demanding my presence in front of the TV with them.
I remember being in a second year tutorial when a student arrived late with the news that Margaret Thatcher had just resigned. I remember where I was when I heard that Diana had died. I remember Twin Peaks, the first season of Friends, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, and going to see Reservoir Dogs in the cinema.

I remember when all the goths (the original ones from the 80s) turned into hippies overnight. I remember wearing psychadelic tie-dyes and grungy retro chique. I remember when Acid House turned into dirty, pumping techno. I remember dancing all night in clubs. I remember raving all night in fields, and quarries, and on beaches. I remember when you had to go to little tiny underground places to hear drum'n'bass, jungle, trance, trip hop, and big beat. I remember the first time I heard a Fat Boy Slim track. I remember travelling across the country to go to a Chemical Brothers concert. I remember seeing the Prodigy live in Hong Kong. I remember when The Shamen were moving mountains and meeting geezers by the name of Ebenezer.

Hmm, I seem to remember the partying more than anything else.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-08, 02:44 PM
Born on 1992.. so I remember mostly the second half of the decade, man that was an awesome decade for anime (at least here in Mexico), from memory I saw Saint Seiya, Ranma 1/2, Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Slam Dunk, Captain Tsubasa (Yes I know many of them are older than the 90's but they weren't brought into TV until then).

Good cartoons Doug, Pepper Ann, Recess, Darkwing Duck, Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls (yes I saw them and they were GOOD); not anything of that disgusting crap of nowadays (Grim Adventures of Billy and Many... and I feel old by saying that)

My first induction to videgames through the N64.... great games OoT, MM, Pokemon Stadium, Mario Party, etc.

My first induction towards internet and online gaming (Runescape F.T.W.!)

Destro_Yersul
2010-12-08, 02:51 PM
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, the 90s were AWESOME! That was when Rob Liefeld was doing comic art, and as everyone knows, everything Liefeld draws has POUCHES and GUNS and is therefore AWESOME. There was this one guy who had a gun that was a spaceship and he could RIDE IT!

Sorry. Had to do that joke.

Quincunx
2010-12-08, 05:20 PM
I remember the Berlin Wall coming down. No matter what the calendar said, that was the end of the '80s. I remember paying attention to History Being Made, far more than what a kid of my age and disinterest ought to notice. (We students would have had to have a heart of stone not to react when the teacher announced that her homeland was now free.) That focus didn't fade until after the '92 presidential election with its three candidates. From that point forward, politics ceased to exist for me. After all, we'd won.

I remember the New Age revival and more personal revival of some phenomenally weird prog rock. I remember flannel. I remember my first music purchase and having to decide between cassettes or those weird oversized CD thingies. I remember finding out afterward that my parents had that particular CD on vinyl and that the liner notes hadn't been fully copied, nor had the lyrics. I remember flaunting the new 9600 baud modem. I remember not knowing what cyber was. I remember discovering Napster, and spending days pulling the same obscure songs off of someone's awful still-2400-baud modem and onto my shiny college network.

I remember helping set up the traveling show from the WWF and I mean wrestling. I remember my first job cutting fabric, my work-study job making petri dishes, and my aren't-you-too-young-to-be-working-here job at the casino. I remember the guy who came into class crying because his girlfriend had dumped him (normal) for another girl (NOT normal). I remember discovering that the other weirdnesses of the prog rock era hadn't died out--people still played roleplaying games! and re-enacted medieval times! I remember the guy whose girlfriend dumped him for lack of shared interests (normal) saying "Get EverQuest, then we'll talk" (NOT normal).

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-08, 05:32 PM
you know one f my favrite things about the 90s? everyone freaking out about y2k

hayabusa
2010-12-08, 09:55 PM
That's because the sixties through the eighties produced in one year, each year, at least as much good music as the entirety of the 90s.

That's really a matter of taste, personally. While I have a lot of good music from the 60s through the 80s, the albums I enjoy the most came out in the early-90s, during the alternative explosion. That said, the majority of those bands formed in the 80s in some fashion or the other...

The odd thing was that, since I was born in 1984, I didn't really get to experience it first hand, only through albums I bought after getting into it later. I started getting into that genre of music in 1999.

As for television, I loved watching the original Nick Toons: Rugrats and Doug being my favorites, in that order. I remember when wrestling was good, back in 1997-2000. Sure it has its moments even today, but I remember watching WCW Nitro at 7:00 and then switching to Raw at 8:00 and catching the Nitro repeat if I was sick and didn't have to go to school the next day.

I also remember being really into the Goosebumps series, though they started to become predictable as I grew in age.

As for video games, I started the decade primarily as a NES user and closed an N64/PlayStation dual gamer. In that time, I had bought a Genesis and a Sega CD, which I really liked. I remember my friends and I playing Goldeneye, 60 minute deathmatches and then firing another one up after it ended. I don't think I've ever played video games for that much time now, or could if I found the time to do so.

Damn you guys, you got me started down memory lane. Oh well, time to fish my Genesis out...

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-08, 10:05 PM

That was 2001.

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-08, 10:11 PM

i rcked, not one, but two runescape accounts

my first one-anthonyduke(lvl 72) got hacked and password changed
my second one was monk_poorly(lvl 10) and i lost interest with this ne

Orzel
2010-12-08, 10:13 PM
Why do I keep entering this topic?!

Nostalgia overload.

WCW vs NWO Revenge.
BLOCK WIT YO CHEST!!

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-08, 10:14 PM
Goldberg. nuff said

Cobra_Ikari
2010-12-08, 10:15 PM
That was 2001.

So it is, which is odd, because I remember discussing Runescape in a cafeteria that I would not be in if it was 2001. =\

I played that way too much. I seem to remember giving my account to some girl who played more than I did...

...personal memorable moment: giving mining tips to a newbie back in beta, and coming back after a year or so of not playing to find them up at the top of the mining tables. That made me smile.

Orzel
2010-12-08, 10:34 PM
Goldberg. nuff said

I spent my allowance on the PPV where he slams everyone in the NWO.

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-08, 10:35 PM
I spent my allowance on the PPV where he slams everyone in the NWO.

i watched at a friends house.

i wasn't allowed to watch wrestling

Orzel
2010-12-08, 10:57 PM
i watched at a friends house.

i wasn't allowed to watch wrestling

That's not cool.
How are you supposed to learn how to chokeslam friends the right way?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-08, 11:05 PM
That was 2001.

Really? hmmm then I am starting to loose my memory on my old age :smalltongue:

And before Runescape there where the games on cartoonnetwork.com..I remember having to beg my parents to go on the internet for half an hour, because If I surfed on the net we went without phone....

Amiel
2010-12-08, 11:56 PM
Man, the 90s were the best. All the best cartoons were around in the 90s, and fantastically there weren't any reality television drivel shows.
Disney was still churning out quality fare; none of this Jonas Brothers or Hannah Montana nonsense.

Regrettably, mobile phones were the size and in the shape of bricks. You could really hurt someone if it was thrown.

KerfuffleMach2
2010-12-09, 09:00 AM

Ah, the sultry sounds of the dial-up modem. Music to my ears. :smallbiggrin:

Born in '88. I remember some stuffs.

Manga Shoggoth
2010-12-09, 10:36 AM
you know one f my favrite things about the 90s? everyone freaking out about y2k

The only people freaking out were the press - and they only discovered it in about 1998, when the rest of us had known about the problem since the mid-80's and were already making major inroads into the real technical problems (rather than the scare stories).

And when "nothing happened" the Press were all "What was all the fuss about, then".

Actually there were a huge number of Y2K failures, but most of them were minor because we (the programming community) had got all the major ones.

The bulk of the effort was in checking all your systems to make sure that there wouldn't be a problem - if you didn't and there was, the company would be liable.

And persuading Management that, yes, this was necessary, and no you can't solve the problems by having the programmers on call on New Years Eve.

Like a huge number of programmers, I was holding my breath at 23:59:59 on New Years Eve...

Katana_Geldar
2010-12-09, 06:28 PM
Does anyone remember the Nike ad that was running around that time?

Asthix
2010-12-09, 07:14 PM
You mean this ad? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WElumqmEkA)

Everything I learned in the 90's I learned from Herman's Head.

Anuan
2010-12-13, 08:01 AM

I had general nostalgia throughout the thread until this.
This hit me hard because I can still smell the very specific smell of the chips (by which I mean hot chips, not potato chips. Fries, whatever) from a very specific...something. I've no idea what the place actually was. But they did some hot food and had a few arcade games at the back and later on they got to be kind of an internet cafe as well. A few years later it was a second hand clothes store, and then just...empty. But I remember those salty, saucy chips and the smell of the concrete and the powdery bricks and the sound of arcade games. Sadface.

Also there was a pizzeria that had one of those barber-shop stick things out the front. Kindly old Italian dude always gave us discounts. It became a chemist. Also sadface.

I was born in 91, so I mostly remember youth popculture and a lot of tv, and how my town used to look.

There was a local videostore that wasn't a chain, and I remember a lot of 80s/possibly early 90s shows from borrowing from there. Thundercats, ho.

Outside of the usual cartoon stuff (Doug, Pokemon, Digimon, Biker Mice from Mars, Street Sharks, Earthworm Jim, TMNT, X-Men, etc) and, for some reason, television ads (Eagle Boys and cool old McDonalds ads come to mind, as well as holiday ads and ads for regional festivals and rodeos and such) and the like, and fads (did anybody actually know the rules for Pokemon trading cards, or were my friends and I alone in just flinging them down one after one and just comparing awesomeness, power-stats and flawed logic to 'win'?), I remember...foods. Like, over-the-counter foods.

Red Frogs that weren't tiny. Coconut rough, mint patties and wagon wheels that weren't tiny. Redskins. Anacondas; gummi snakes that were like 60 cms long or something. Every other Australian will be with me on those. Eating food I knew was bad for me and was so bad it was good, taste-wise. I'm still affected by this; people close to me know not to get between me and a good crumbed sausage. I'm still yet to find a veal-and-cheese (not, to my knowledge, made with actual veal, 'cause thats expensive) outside of my old hometown.

Why do I keep entering this topic?!

Nostalgia overload.

WCW vs NWO Revenge.
BLOCK WIT YO CHEST!!

This, so much, as well as the other N64 wrestling games that followed the same format (plus the ones that didn't) and especially the character-creation thing. I would spend HOURS perfecting my characters' movesets and appearances.
Also everything to do with wrestling.
Steve Austin was best. Everybody else was secondary-tier at most.
Y'know, back when wrestling didn't suck.

Serpentine
2010-12-13, 08:20 AM
The grand old days when a really expensive ice cream was maybe $2.50, small lollies were 3 for 5c, Will Smith did the theme songs to his entertaining-but-not-exactly-high-art movies, and Jim Carrey was still funny... Oh, and petrol was expensive if it even snuffled in the direction of $1 per litre.

Lillith
2010-12-13, 08:29 AM
You mean this ad? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WElumqmEkA)

Everything I learned in the 90's I learned from Herman's Head.

Wait, what clubs are in that commercial? I could have sworn I saw a Dutch Ajax uniform in there. :smalleek: Oh wait... the NINETIES, the time when Dutch soccer was actually worth something. Never mind...

Anuan
2010-12-13, 08:35 AM
The grand old days when a really expensive ice cream was maybe $2.50, small lollies were 3 for 5c.

This. So much, this. What about 50c lolly-bags? Some places had random premixes, the little roadside place across from my old house, before changing management, let you pick from several boxes as a mix. The little licorice things that nobody liked coming in the premixed bags :smallyuk:.

And lucky-dips. Sad was the child who could not scab a dollar for the lucky-dip.

Also, Kinder Surprise, and Transformers toys.

Serpentine
2010-12-13, 08:37 AM
Did you know Kinder Surprises are banned in the US? Poor chumps.
Were Yowies late '90s or early '00s?

Anuan
2010-12-13, 08:43 AM
I...do not know.
Also, why? :smallconfused: Too many kids choke to death on the little put-together figures, or something?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-13, 08:43 AM
I remember when the the Toys you got at MC´donalds happy meals, were worth something... I remember quite fondly getting a Tarantula Transformer, back when the craze of Beast Machine was at it's highest. True it wasn't a transformer toy per se, but they were nice.

Look at them, they were worth it.

http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/files/08/r_mantaray096.jpg

http://www.seibertron.com/images/sig/mcbeasts.jpg

Geno9999
2010-12-13, 08:47 AM
The only thing I remember from the 90s (born in '93) was POKEMON! And nothing else. Oh, wait, and there was Batman too...
Was Batman Beyond in the 90s? Or was that early 2000s?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-13, 08:48 AM
I think Batman Beyond were early 2000's or really late 1999.

Serpentine
2010-12-13, 08:59 AM
Aha, Yowies were late '90s and early '00s. And invented by Bryce Courteney. Who knew? And according to Wiki the Kinder Surprise is banned in the US because "the 1938 Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act prohibits embedding "non-nutritive items" in confections".
Suckers :smalltongue:

Anuan
2010-12-13, 09:08 AM
I remember when the the Toys you got at MC´donalds happy meals, were worth something... I remember quite fondly getting a Tarantula Transformer, back when the craze of Beast Machine was at it's highest. True it wasn't a transformer toy per se, but they were nice.

Look at them, they were worth it.

http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/files/08/r_mantaray096.jpg

http://www.seibertron.com/images/sig/mcbeasts.jpg

Those are Beast Wars figures. Beast Machines was the sequel series that, I've heard, was terrible. I've never really gotten the opportunity to watch it, but I totally would. Just for Cheetor.

Aha, Yowies were late '90s and early '00s. And invented by Bryce Courteney. Who knew? And according to Wiki the Kinder Surprise is banned in the US because "the 1938 Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act prohibits embedding "non-nutritive items" in confections".
Suckers :smalltongue:

Hah! :smalltongue:

Tirian
2010-12-13, 09:18 AM
The Internet was a beautiful thing back then. And you could watch Saturday Night Live all the way through the band's second appearance.

SlayerScott
2010-12-13, 09:22 AM
What's with people saying 90s music sucked and then naming the worst one hit wonders of techno? What about the majority of the careers of Nirvana, Soundgarden, Sublime, Slayer, Pantera, Guns 'N Roses, Pearl Jam, Rancid, Offspring, STP, Green Day, Snoop Dogg, Doctor Dre, Wu-Tang Clan? Lollapalooza and the Up in Smoke tour? If you listened to boy bands in the 90s you really have no one to blame but yourself. 90s music was awesome.

Cartoons too -no Batman Beyond wasn't from the 90s but Batman:The Animated Series debuted in 1992. I'll throw ReBoot out there as another great cartoon. It wasn't just great it was staggeringly influential if you consider how much computer generated animation there is today. The debuts of Futurama and South Park, the best seasons of The Simpsons...

Video Games were great, it was the height of the console wars between Sega and Nintendo. Arcades were hopping with Street Fighter II, Mario and Sonic had their best iterations and the Playstation and games like Final Fantasy VII made their appearance around the end of the decade.

The fashion and the political climate were both admittedly regrettable.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-13, 09:24 AM
Errr I got them confused..... and it was a good series. the animation at the start was bad, I'll give you that (too blocky and stiff) but it got really better with time.

Serpentine
2010-12-13, 09:31 AM
Cake's best stuff was '90s, and Foo Fighters. Beastie Boys and Beck... Oasis, Rage Against the Machine, Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral is a masterpiece - Meat Loaf, Porno For Pyros, *coughspicegirlscough*, Aqua...

JediSoth
2010-12-13, 09:33 AM
Pfft. The 90s were a doddle compared to the 80s. When I was growing up, we had the threat of Global Thermonuclear War hanging over our heads. Movies like The Day After, Red Dawn, and even Wargames didn't help. Some schools (not mine), still did nuclear attack drills. Everyone KNEW the Soviets were the ENEMY. The Department of Defense School I attended in Germany had bomb threats several times a year (especially after we bombed Libya), which we should have been scared of, but since it essentially meant an extended recess for the students, we actually didn't mind so much. I almost always had my copy of Paranoia, 2nd ed. with me, so we played the crud out of that game (I still have it; the binding fell apart some 10 years ago). Living on the front lines of the Cold War really brought the conflict home, especially when I visited East Germany as a teen and saw the soldiers walking the streets armed with assault rifles (this was in the mid-80s).

It certainly produced a different mindset than the 90s. As many of you feel nostalgic for the 90s, I feel nostalgic for the 80s. Liked the music, too (it's better than most of the 90s music :p), but then again, it's what I grew up with.

It's the eye of the tiger, it's the thrill of the fight
rising up to the challenge of our rivals...

Geno9999
2010-12-13, 10:21 AM
Video Games were great, it was the height of the console wars between Sega and Nintendo. Arcades were hopping with Street Fighter II, Mario and Sonic had their best iterations and the Playstation and games like Final Fantasy VII made their appearance around the end of the decade.

Oh yeah, I remember spending hours on Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario World, Megaman X, and Donkey Kong Country. Good times...

grimbold
2010-12-13, 01:31 PM
i have a few hazy childhood memories
that is all

Cleverdan22
2010-12-13, 01:56 PM
Pssh, do I remember the 90s. That was my entire childhood. Grew up on the Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network shows of the era, but particularly Dragonball Z, Pokemon, and Digimon. Good gods, Digimon. As far as video games go, I somehow just didn't notice the console wars, and just got Nintendo systems. I didn't even know about the economic competitive aspect of console gaming until Gamecube/PS2.

Zen Monkey
2010-12-13, 02:24 PM
For me, the 80's was very much defined by the Cold War. Us v. Them. Reagan v. Gorbachev. America v. The Soviet Union. Seriously, watch any action film from that time and there's a good chance that this is the plot. We had bomb drills in school (as though sitting under my desk would somehow help against nuclear war). The latter half of 1989 was when you really knew things were changing. The protests of Tiananmen square were in June of that year, and in November people were dancing on the Berlin Wall and tearing it down while singing. It's rare that you can watch something on tv and honestly say that an era is ending and that history books will be written about what you're seeing at that moment.

Dvandemon
2010-12-13, 02:37 PM
I was born in 1993. I don't remember too much of the 90s, and my experience as a five year old probably wasn't terribly representative of the 90s anyway.I was born a year later, most of my 90 info comes from my brother whom grew up in the time

true_shinken
2010-12-13, 02:47 PM
The nineties were awesome. It marked the RPG boom and the anime/manga boom in Brazil. That alone makes it awesome.
There was also 1994's World Cup and Brazil as world champions. It was a weak decade to be fluminense though >.>

cho_j
2010-12-13, 09:13 PM
Despite living through the last eight years of the '90s and having several fond memories of that time, all I can think of every time I see this thread's title is Do you remember rock'n'roll radio? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJizV-d3sEQ) Er... wrong decade. XD

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-13, 09:24 PM
What's with people saying 90s music sucked and then naming the worst one hit wonders of techno? What about the majority of the careers of Nirvana, Soundgarden, Sublime, Slayer, Pantera, Guns 'N Roses, Pearl Jam, Rancid, Offspring, STP, Green Day, Snoop Dogg, Doctor Dre, Wu-Tang Clan? Lollapalooza and the Up in Smoke tour? If you listened to boy bands in the 90s you really have no one to blame but yourself. 90s music was awesome.

That, was the 2000s. Sure, they had good music in the 90s, butthey weren't nearly as popular as they are now.

AshDesert
2010-12-13, 09:51 PM
That, was the 2000s. Sure, they had good music in the 90s, butthey weren't nearly as popular as they are now.

Dookie (their best album by far and their best-selling album) was released in 1994. They were actually fairly popular for a few years in the nineties, it's just that everyone forgot about them between Insomniac and American Idiot.

Ah Goldfinger. My friends and brother would spend hours playing it, all weekend. Of course, we had the honor rule of "Never play Oddjob" that one person managed to break every game, and then everyone would team up on the next round (while someone else was playing Oddjob). Paper Mario introduced me to RPGs in general (although I didn't realize what an RPG was until much later, it was just a weird, fun take on Mario with a cool concept). It's kind of weird that I have Nintendo to thank for (indirectly) introducing me to D&D.

Katana_Geldar
2010-12-13, 10:22 PM
More 90's shows:

The West Wing (I miss this show so much!)
Dawson's Creek
Dinosaurs (That had a creepy ending)
Melrose Place
Beverly Hills 90210
Baywatch
The X Files (a definite 90's show)
Family Matters (cringeworthy after they jumped the shark)
Degrassi High (Junior High was 80's)
Ready or Not

Mando Knight
2010-12-13, 10:25 PM
Ash, it's Goldeneye. Goldfinger (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MagCoUYvIXE) has the Midas touch... of death.

-Do you expect me to talk?
No, Mr. Bond! I expect you to DIE!

Serpentine
2010-12-14, 12:06 AM
Lollies were better then, as well as being cheaper.
I know, cuz I'm eating some now :smallfrown:

AshDesert
2010-12-14, 08:31 AM
Ash, it's Goldeneye. Goldfinger (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MagCoUYvIXE) has the Midas touch... of death.

-Do you expect me to talk?
No, Mr. Bond! I expect you to DIE!

I always get those mixed up. But, to be fair, Goldfinger is one of the best movies, and Goldeneye is the best game. And they both start with Gold. And Oddjob was in both of them (the cheater:smallwink:).

Kjata
2010-12-14, 10:02 AM
The 90s were kind of a bad time for me. Nothing really excited me except for pokemon and video games. Cartoons were ehh. All the gems of the 90s, like Tool/Sublime/Final Fantasy I didn't discover until the early to mid 2000s.

My pint is, all the cool stuff in the 90s I was too young for. But then again, my best years of childhood took place from 2002-2004.

I guess I just didn't like being a kid. I'm nostalgic for my preteen years (which is kinda sad because I'm still only 18...)

JediSoth
2010-12-14, 10:08 AM
Didn't D&D die twice in the 90s? Once when MT:G took the country by storm, then again when TSR went belly-up and the property was purchased by the Spooooky wizard who lives on the coast?

ScIaDrd
2010-12-14, 11:56 AM
Yeah , I was too in single digits back then. I remember watching Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon on my grandparents´cable. There was Dexter (which I hated ) and Digimon and Pokemon (I hated that too.. and look at me, I´m an otaku now) whatewer Spiderman I was that had the multidimensional crossover in it (the one with a tech wizard Spidey and a multiarmed Spidey)a Yeah I remember Rugrats too! and Thundercats! and whatever was hat one show called, where there was a flying island or a really large airship on a volcanic planet and they flew dragons. Or something:smallcool:
Also there was Harry Potter..I loved the oldd ones, but I grew out of it since, and I remeber I read a kid fatasy series about kids gettig pulled into a magicial world where there were good and evil witches and the main phlebotinum was somethig like a magical dust that came in sliver and black for good and evil and the witches batteledusing ironclad ship that blew up when they got spryed with the opposite kind of dust.
Edit And it apparently was called the Night witches by one Michael Molloy (How the heck am supposed to find out anything abou him, when he does not have a Wiki page.:smallfrown: Just a facebook.
Thats other thing we didn´t have back then.(and neither do I even now)
Just what were ennui stricken\ ouths doing all the time?:smallconfused: When there was no WoW they could play to kill time.
I trhink that´a mystery of bygone ages:smallamused:

Asta Kask
2010-12-14, 11:58 AM
I weighed half of what I do now. That was too little, this is too much. I hit normality around 2000.

TSGames
2010-12-14, 12:06 PM
Weren't they crazy?
Ah, yes....The '90s.

I remember the collapse of the Soviet Union, something happening with a girl named Monica Lew-something or other, and the only band to exist in the '90's: Nirvana. Man they were a good band, it's too bad there weren't any other musicians in the 90's or it may have been an awesome decade.

O yeah, and ST:TNG. Who could forget Captain Picard? And, of course, ST:Voyager. Sadly, it wouldn't be until after the turn of the decade that Janeway finally made it home. Finally, there was the rise of South Park. The '90s surely weren't all that bad.

Asta Kask
2010-12-14, 12:09 PM
I never got into Nirvana. But I know some deeply insensitive Kurt Cobain jokes.

Ragitsu
2010-12-14, 06:12 PM
The fashion and the political climate were both admittedly regrettable.

Since the beginning of time.

Anuan
2010-12-15, 05:16 AM
and whatever was hat one show called, where there was a flying island or a really large airship on a volcanic planet and they flew dragons. Or something:smallcool:

Dragonflyz? Maximise!

ShadowySilence
2010-12-17, 11:12 PM
I remember blowing so much time on my brand new N64! :smallcool:

thubby
2010-12-19, 01:58 AM
the thing i remember best about the 90s were the cartoons. *salutes tooonami*

Ted_Stryker
2010-12-20, 05:35 AM
I spent most of the '90s in grad school, so yeah, I remember them. I just finished listening to OK Computer, in fact. I'll try to stick to stuff no one else has mentioned yet.

TV - Before there was Firefly, there was Buffy. I also seem to recall watching a lot of ER.

Games - I remember playing a ton of Jyhad, the V:tM-based CCG that Richard Garfield invented after he invented M:tG. I still use the vampire cards (the "crypt cards" in the game's parlance) as visual aids for certain NPCs in the Vampire games I run.

Sports - I was in Chicago for most of the 1990s. I was there for the final season of the first Bulls three-peat and all three seasons of the second Bulls three-peat, after Jordan came out of retirement (for the first time). I was also in the city during the McGwire-Sosa home run chase in 1998, back when everyone was just whistling past the graveyard re: steroids because that's how bad the strike in 1994 was.

Tiger Woods wasn't a cad, just some hotshot youngster out of Stanford who crushed the field in the '97 Masters, his first major after turning pro.

Michael Vick wasn't a dog-killer, just a hotshot redshirt freshman QB who carried Virginia Tech to the national championship game during the '99 season.

Brett Favre actually won a Super Bowl. John Elway won two (though really it was Terrell Davis and the cut-blocking offensive linemen of the Broncos). Troy Aikman (read Emmitt Smith and the O-line, and the Cowboys' D) won three. Jim Kelly made it to four straight but never won. Dan Marino never made it back after getting there in the mid-1980s, during his second season.

I remember the Steffi Graf-Monica Seles rivalry and the deranged Graf fan who stabbed Seles in the back at a match.

I remember Michael Johnson's golden shoes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO5cZzdwVCk).

Eh, there's a lot more, but that'll do for now.

Lost Demiurge
2010-12-21, 10:38 AM
The disney TV cartoon renaissance struck in the 90's... Ducktales first, then the others followed, Gargoyles at the head of the pack. Still, lesser ones like Darkwing Duck, Aladdin, and Tailspin were ahead of their time in many ways.

WB fought back with Tiny Toon adventures and Animaniacs, but petered out in the middle of the decade. Still, ANIMANIACS, for god's sakes! Awesome stuff.

Then there were classics like Reboot, and Transformers: Beast Wars... Y'know, it was a good decade for cartoons. Even weird ones like Aeon Flux. Well, except for things like GI JOE EXTREME, the Streetfighter cartoon, and other lame launches. Don't know what they were thinking.

In other fronts, Magic the Gathering made it BIG in geeky circles. Wiled away many an after-school day playing games of it with my friends.

Oh, and Wolfenstein 3d hit around 94 or so. Then DOOM came, and the PC action game genre was forever changed... There'd been stuff before this, but not as well done. And Quake was at the end of the 90s too, I suppose...

Clinton was in office and the Republicans were trying to impeach him for sleeping around and no one really cared. Things seemed to be going well.

The economy was booming and stocks could only rise!

Music pretty much sucked. Grunge was king, and whiny was the new pop star look. Still, it wasn't too bad... Emo hadn't hit the scene yet...

Cell phones started to flourish. They were big bricks, but you'd see more and more of them as time went on.

There's much more, but I think that's enough for now. All in all, a weird decade. Think I preferred the 80s.

Lord Blace
2010-12-21, 12:54 PM
I remember a year or so back I was flipping through the guide at my mother's house and saw that Dexter's Lab was playing. I realized it was on Boomerang, followed by the Jetsons. I asked myself, "Boomerang? But... Dexter... I'm not that old am I?" Hit to select the channel and I kid you not, the first words I hear are from Dexter and they are, "Yes, yes you are." :smallfrown:

littlekKID
2010-12-23, 04:39 AM
My age was single-digit for most of the era, so no, not really. Not those stuffs like 'music and fashion' at least :smalltongue:

same here

but I do Remember B:TAS and animaniacs (and Tiny Toons and Pinky and The Brain and...you get the idea :smalltongue:)

Dubious Pie
2010-12-24, 03:13 AM
Because I was born in '96, I would be worried if I did.

Cahokia
2010-12-24, 03:30 AM
I am not yet 20, and yet I have lived in three decades. If the 80's was the world's drunken bender, the early 90's was the hangover the morning after. And then the internet was invented, and everything changed forever.

We have lived in interesting times. :smallsmile:

The Rose Dragon
2010-12-24, 03:35 AM
I don't really see how that's possible, unless your birthday is between Christmas and New Year's Eve in 1990.

Cahokia
2010-12-24, 04:38 AM
Well, to be fair, everyone my age has. In fact, you could be 21 (born in '89) and a witness to four decades.

Born in '91, so I've witnessed the 90's, I lived through the 2000's, and the first year of the new 10's is almost at a close. I don't turn 20 until the summer. 3 decades (or rather parts of them), under 20 years of life.

The Rose Dragon
2010-12-24, 05:10 AM
See, here's the problem: the new decade begins at 2011, not 2010. There was never a 0th year, so the first decade of the Common Era was 1-10, with the 11th year marking the beginning of the second decade.

So, until 2011, you haven't experienced three decades.

Sorry, this is just a pet peeve of mine.

Serpentine
2010-12-24, 05:11 AM
In exactly one week, he will have lived in 3 decades. Is that better? :smallannoyed:

The Rose Dragon
2010-12-24, 05:15 AM
In exactly one week, he will have lived in 3 decades. Is that better? :smallannoyed:

In a week and half a day, yes. :smalltongue:

Zeb The Troll
2010-12-24, 06:20 AM
See, here's the problem: the new decade begins at 2011, not 2010. There was never a 0th year, so the first decade of the Common Era was 1-10, with the 11th year marking the beginning of the second decade.

So, until 2011, you haven't experienced three decades.

Sorry, this is just a pet peeve of mine.I disagree with your pedantry. A given decade is commonly understood to be from X0-X9. Just like 2000 was the first year of this millenium, it was the first year of the 21st century and the aughts decade. For example, a person born in 1980 would never be able to get away with saying "I was born (in the late/at the end of the) '70s". Ever.

People insisting otherwise is a pet peeve of mine. :smallcool:

Cespenar
2010-12-24, 06:30 AM
'90s? The first thing I remember is the soothing black background of MS-DOS.

Now that was an OS if I ever saw one...

TSGames
2010-12-24, 08:47 AM
Oh, and Wolfenstein 3d hit around 94 or so. Then DOOM came, and the PC action game genre was forever changed... There'd been stuff before this, but not as well done. And Quake was at the end of the 90s too, I suppose...

This was certainly one of the best things to come out of the '90s. Also, there was Master of Orion II, one of the best turn based strategy games of all time. Before I forget, there was also some game called....Duke Nuk'em ;)

Alarra
2010-12-24, 01:04 PM
I remember the 90s, and remember that they were kinda meh. I was in middle school/high school then. I did like a lot of the music though, which I'm remembering because I have a 90s xm radio station now. :smallsmile:

Or I did.... hey, Zeb... get the xm fixed. :smallsmile:

Cahokia
2010-12-25, 06:39 AM
Definitely some good music in the 90's. Nirvana, for example. Heart Shaped Box is still one of my favorite songs of all time (with the music video thrown into consideration).