PDA

View Full Version : Refluffing the Artificer

Frenchy147
2010-12-07, 05:01 PM
I need a new character, so I decided to make an artificer from the Eberron setting. We are playing in a homebrew world that is fairly low tech and has little to no construcs. So I'm refluffing the artificer. Both in class description and some of the features. So far I've lost the craft homunculous at 4th level, and me and the DM are discussing replacing the repair and inflict damage spells with a slower progression of cure and inflict wounds splells.

We've taken the focus away from the constructs and turned it entirely on the crafting magic items bit.

Thanks for all feedback :smallsmile:

Ernir
2010-12-07, 05:58 PM
What is it that you would like to get out of this character? I don't see a question.

Psyren
2010-12-07, 06:25 PM
I think if all you're going to do is craft, you'd have more fun with a Warlock personally.

Frenchy147
2010-12-08, 03:40 PM
The question is really just that In a non-eberron setting, how can an Artificer be made to fit in?

lightningcat
2010-12-08, 10:31 PM
I mentioned this in a thread concerning rune magic, but one way to refluff the artificer is as a runecaster. It also gives you a bit more wiggle room to change the spell list.

shadow_archmagi
2010-12-08, 11:04 PM
The question is really just that In a non-eberron setting, how can an Artificer be made to fit in?

Artificer fits in just fine without it being Eberron.

HunterOfJello
2010-12-09, 12:15 AM
The normal artificer only gets Craft Homonculus. The Homonculi are all low-tech compared to the stronger magical constructs that you can create with Craft Construct. Just avoid creating those dog homonculi and you'll be fine.

The only problem I see for a Artificer in a low-tech and low-magic world is a possible lack of wands. However, if wand access isn't too limited, you should be fine.

~

The runcecaster refluff sounds like a good idea to me. The artificer creates runes on objects that give them magical abilities for a while.

Frenchy147
2010-12-11, 11:22 AM
I mentioned this in a thread concerning rune magic, but one way to refluff the artificer is as a runecaster. It also gives you a bit more wiggle room to change the spell list.

I like that idea. I'm probably going to use that one.:smallsmile:Thanks!

The normal artificer only gets Craft Homonculus. The Homonculi are all low-tech compared to the stronger magical constructs that you can create with Craft Construct. Just avoid creating those dog homonculi and you'll be fine.

The only problem I see for a Artificer in a low-tech and low-magic world is a possible lack of wands. However, if wand access isn't too limited, you should be fine.

No limit on wands. The low magic is really just in the world itself. For the PCs if you can craft your own its not really a problem.