PDA

View Full Version : The power of the commerce domain & profit checks (3.5)

realbombchu
2010-12-07, 08:34 PM
Hi, I'm making a character for fun, but I'm a little confused. He's going to be a cleric and a business owner. I'm going to use the business rules in the DMG2. I want him to be a genius at making money.

So, when the commerce domain says +10 to Profession checks to earn a living, does that include profit checks, or does that count as a specific task? I think the newer business rules were written after the Eberron CS where the domain is, so it seems unclear.

The Glyphstone
2010-12-07, 08:50 PM
As long as you know that the rules in DM2 are horrible. The most profitable business is an empty shack in the middle of a desert.

Tvtyrant
2010-12-07, 08:57 PM
Best way to run a company in D&D is take Leadership, get a wizard and have it run a shop selling scrolls, potions, and wands. Then you find spell books and scrolls and learn them, crafting a number and give them to him, so he can learn them and add them to the inventory.

Seriously, one wizard selling magic items can match WBL alone; its boring to play but that is why you have the Leadershipped Wizard do it. Then you can maintain his loyalty by gibing him more spells to use in his shop, and you take say... 10% off of each sale. Then when you find magic items you don't need you give them to him to sell off.

realbombchu
2010-12-07, 09:01 PM
As long as you know that the rules in DM2 are horrible.

Yeah, I know. I'm going to use it as more of a character hook than anything. It may seem like a dumb question, and I think I know the answer, but I wanted to check.