PDA

View Full Version : Riddick, how epic is he?

Stanlee
2010-12-07, 11:18 PM
So I was watching the third movie in the Chronicles of Riddick series and I got to thinking, how epic is Riddick in a D&D sense? I was thinking about this because Vin Diesel was a big D&D nerd back in the day. Can you imagine that? There are interviews of him talking about it on the web.

Back to my question. He has to have at least twelve feats of awesome. I would argue that he can be a minor deity epic. Kind of like a Hercules. I was thinking he must have a base class of rouge. Any other ideas?

Oh yeah, weapon finesse teacup.

Innis Cabal
2010-12-07, 11:27 PM
There's only two movies in the series. And not that epic probably.

Stanlee
2010-12-07, 11:32 PM
There's only two movies in the series. And not that epic probably.

oh yeah, the only other one was pitch black. there was a cartoon called dark fury. have not seen it though.

Makensha
2010-12-07, 11:37 PM
Don't bother watching the cartoon. Not worth it.

Anyway, I would say he's a level 7 (Rogue/Barbarian?) in a world full of level 1 and 2 NPC classes. I can't think of anything he does that would set him higher than that.

Starbuck_II
2010-12-07, 11:55 PM
Don't bother watching the cartoon. Not worth it.

Anyway, I would say he's a level 7 (Rogue/Barbarian?) in a world full of level 1 and 2 NPC classes. I can't think of anything he does that would set him higher than that.

Don't forget his template giving him darkvision.

Zeofar
2010-12-08, 12:00 AM
Thug Sneak Attack Fighter could work. I doubt that he is a seriously high-level character though; there is no reason to assume he is over level 10.

Don't forget his template giving him darkvision.

The darkvision was racial.

Innis Cabal
2010-12-08, 12:01 AM
It's not a template. It's a graft. He's also a human subspecies. I'd say with a rage ability with him being a full rogue

The darkvision was racial.

No it wasn't. He got them in prison for 20 menthol kools. It's a graft.

Dienekes
2010-12-08, 12:07 AM
It's not a template. It's a graft. He's also a human subspecies. I'd say with a rage ability with him being a full rogue

2nd movie, implies the 20 menthol kools bit is a lie. Escape from Butcher Bay more or less confirms that it was.

Zeofar
2010-12-08, 12:07 AM

I thought the whole point of that was that it was a lie to hide his identity (as well as part of his general trend in lying to intimidate people) as a chosen-warrior-race guy (didn't the Necro-death-officer-guy that was apparently one of his kind also have a weird shiny glimmer in his eye effect right before he killed himself as well?), hence why whatever-her-name-was was not able to acquire such an enhancement.

Innis Cabal
2010-12-08, 12:09 AM
No, they show the procedure in a flash movie in fairly vivid detail. The only thing inherent to his race is the energy wave and the natural fighting prowess that he posses as a Furian.

The Big Dice
2010-12-08, 12:10 AM
2nd movie, implies the 20 menthol kools bit is a lie. Escape from Butcher Bay more or less confirms that it was.

There's another Furyan in the second movie. At least in the director's cut. Which makes a very disjointed and hard to follow movie into something much better, with an actual story.

Innis Cabal
2010-12-08, 12:18 AM

And as pointed out, the actual surgery is shown. So it's either a straight out retcon or an oversight.

Dienekes
2010-12-08, 12:27 AM
And as pointed out, the actual surgery is shown. So it's either a straight out retcon or an oversight.

I'm thinking a retcon. It'd be a rather pointless change if you ask me, but then Chronicles of Riddick was a rather pointless movie. I'm only going with it because Escape from Bucher Bay was my favorite bit to come out of the series.

Innis Cabal
2010-12-08, 12:31 AM
It sadly was a disappointment. But the novelization of the movie of both Pitch Black and Chronicles state both events happening. So there's really no definitive answer. He had something with his eyes and still went with the surgery?

also, bets on the actual third movie sucking?

Jerthanis
2010-12-08, 02:12 AM
Seeing as how the two other Furians we see do not have the silvery eyes, and the Lord Marshall didn't react when he saw his silvery eyes, so the only logical thing is that it is most definitely not an intrinsic Furian trait.

Killer Angel
2010-12-08, 08:39 AM
also, bets on the actual third movie sucking?

I'm not betting. All I want is a couple of funny hours, and I think I'll have it. :smallwink:

Zen Monkey
2010-12-08, 09:05 AM
Riddick is a dual wielding ranger.

Also, both Karl Urban and Judi Densch are D&D fans along with Vin. Apparently they played during their downtime while filming the second movie. Vin's character name "Melkor" is one of his (fake) tattoos that he wears in the movie XXX.

Stanlee
2010-12-08, 09:40 AM
Riddick is a dual wielding ranger.

He did have that affinity with that beast in the prison, which may I point out also had the silvery eyes.

The Big Dice
2010-12-08, 11:45 AM
I'm thinking a retcon. It'd be a rather pointless change if you ask me, but then Chronicles of Riddick was a rather pointless movie. I'm only going with it because Escape from Bucher Bay was my favorite bit to come out of the series.

Watch the director's cut of Riddick. It's much, much better. Things make sense and events flow logically from one to the next.Instead of being all disjointed and not really having any narrative flow.

Makensha
2010-12-08, 06:08 PM
Watch the director's cut of Riddick. It's much, much better. Things make sense and events flow logically from one to the next.Instead of being all disjointed and not really having any narrative flow.

I never thought the movie was disjointed, I just felt like it was three crammed into one.

Anyway, regardless of how he got the eyes, it is safe to say he did not get them by leveling. A level one commoner can use a clawed hand made by a insert mage who can transmute here. Doesn't mean he has the levels required to transmute.