PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] How can I reduce power point costs or optimally spend PP?

Endarire
2010-12-08, 12:25 AM
Getting More Power Points as a Psion

The Basics
-Get more levels.
-Increase your INT.
-Manifest wisely. Don't spend 4 PP when 3 PP will do.

The Rest
Now taking suggestions!

klemdakherzbag
2010-12-08, 12:47 AM
Torc of Power Preservation
Wild/Hidden Talent
Rainbow Ioun Stone (XPH pg 160)

Rabble
2010-12-08, 12:52 AM
Earth Power from Races of Stone.

Fortuna
2010-12-08, 12:53 AM
Azure talent, I think it is, from Magic of Incarnum.

HunterOfJello
2010-12-08, 01:18 AM
Step 1: Become a Thrallherd.
Step 2: Make your thralls and believers do all the work.
Step 3: ??????
Step 4: PROFIT!

Eloel
2010-12-08, 01:19 AM
Wild Surge! (or Anarchic Initiate)

Godskook
2010-12-08, 01:41 AM
-metapower
-midnight augmentation
-Manifester arrows for storing PP from slow days to use on long days.

Psyren
2010-12-08, 05:39 AM
Wild/Hidden Talent

I think you mean Psionic Talent here, as the other two are wastes of feats for a Psion. (Hidden Talent is slightly more useful, but prevents you from dumping Cha and there are other "1st-level only" feats you could be denying yourself as a result.)

Which reminds me of yet another trick for the psionic tricks thread.

Yora
2010-12-08, 05:58 AM
Wild Surge! (or Anarchic Initiate)

Wilders have some serious disadvantages compared to psions (i.e. far less powers). But they sure can extend their power point supply by a long way.

Psyren
2010-12-08, 06:45 AM
Wilders have some serious disadvantages compared to psions (i.e. far less powers). But they sure can extend their power point supply by a long way.

Ironically, Psions can qualify for Anarchic Initiate more easily than they can, picking Wild Surge up that way. It's still better for Wilders, you'll just need another feat (e.g. Knowledge Devotion) to qualify by 5.

Eloel
2010-12-08, 07:34 AM
Ironically, Psions can qualify for Anarchic Initiate more easily than they can, picking Wild Surge up that way. It's still better for Wilders, you'll just need another feat (e.g. Knowledge Devotion) to qualify by 5.

Actually, it's better for Psions. If you don't take Level 3 (or was it 2?), you don't get the dreaded Psychic Enervation.

AslanCross
2010-12-08, 07:39 AM
The feat Psychic Rush from Magic of Eberron allows you to spend an action point to regain 1d6 PP when you fire off a power.

Psyren
2010-12-08, 08:50 AM
Actually, it's better for Psions. If you don't take Level 3 (or was it 2?), you don't get the dreaded Psychic Enervation.

Psychic Enervation is hardly the psionic boogeyman it's frequently made out to be. Besides, it only applies to Wild Surge anyway - the Psion already had to blow a feat on Overchannel to enter the PrC, so why would they use Wild Surge instead? They might as well use the feat.

true_shinken
2010-12-08, 09:40 AM
Earth Node (4500gp for 5 extra pp, I believe) should help.
So does Azure Talent feat.

elpollo
2010-12-08, 09:42 AM
Psychic Meditation/Deep Psychic Meditation. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827b) The first feat grants a once per day +1PP per level for an hour (or technically some other bonuses, but this is about power points). The second means you can do it three times per day. This means one/three additional uses of your most powerful powers per day.

Psyren
2010-12-08, 09:46 AM
Psychic Meditation/Deep Psychic Meditation. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827b) The first feat grants a once per day +1PP per level for an hour (or technically some other bonuses, but this is about power points). The second means you can do it three times per day. This means one/three additional uses of your most powerful powers per day.

If you're picking those up, may I suggest the very good Meditant PrC? (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827c)

I would also recommend Elan as your race - they regain PP by meditating, allowing you to "double-dip" rather than having to both meditate and sleep, possibly slowing down the party.

Wings of Peace
2010-12-08, 10:17 AM
Subverted Psion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20051125a)

Endarire
2010-12-09, 11:46 PM
Azure Talent + Psycarnum Infusion seems like a PP recharge method. Is this correct?

Runestar
2010-12-10, 12:03 AM
While we are on this topic, how do you all decide how much PP to spend on each power? Is there a guideline you use? Say, always start with a fully-augmented power, then...how do you decide whether to reduce the PP invested, or continue blasting at full strength?

Endarire
2010-12-10, 12:19 AM
Regarding how much PP to spend, it's highly situational. Still, I prefer to spend more for a bigger effect now because of the action economy. I also tend to use energy missile and astral construct against big foes, meaning I hate to waste time.

In an arena match, I was able to hit my opponent with three fully-powered energy missiles before he could act. He still survived and promptly one-rounded me.

After that, I stuck to an astral construct army, but I always went for the biggest.

In short, it's a mind game. It's guessing out of character how much to bid. You may overbid and win, but suffer later. You may underbid and suffer now. You may bid just right and eek out ahead.

Endarire
2010-12-25, 11:30 PM
Have we exhausted all our options?

Crow
2010-12-25, 11:35 PM
What does the Rainbow Ioun stone do? Is that in the SRD? (never seen it)

anubistheta
2010-12-26, 12:04 AM
What does the Rainbow Ioun stone do? Is that in the SRD? (never seen it)

It just gives 5 PP per day.

Endarire
2010-12-26, 07:56 PM
From what source is the Rainbow Ioun Stone? ([i}Expanded Psionics Handbook[/i] 160)

EDIT: Didn't read thread.

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-12-26, 08:08 PM
Also, there's the rather cheesy Affinity Field (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/affinityField.htm) - manifest your low level buffs and have them effect the whole party. Add in a pair of other manifesters with Bestow Power and a third manifesting Synchronicity and you've got effectively infinite standard actions with recharge. Sprinkle in Telekinetic Sphere, Burrowing Power, and a standard action blast power to taste and you've got a recipe for taking out anything susceptible to HP damage in one (long) round.