PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Spider Barbarians

Crasical
2010-12-08, 01:36 AM
At 1st level, an ape-totem barbarian gains a climb speed equal to one-half his base land speed
A creature with a climb speed has a +8 racial bonus on all Climb checks. The creature must make a Climb check to climb any wall or slope with a DC of more than 0, but it always can choose to take 10 even if rushed or threatened while climbing

Climb DC 25: A rough surface, such as a natural rock wall or a brick wall.
Climb DC 25:An overhang or ceiling with handholds but no footholds.

Take 10 + 8 + 4 ranks in Climb + 3 str modifier = 25

So a 1st level ape totem barbarian can climb across the ceiling like a spider without any sort of tools whatsoever?

dgnslyr
2010-12-08, 01:39 AM
All the better to rain death upon his foes!

HunterOfJello
2010-12-08, 01:41 AM
A one level dip that gives the equivalent of a 4800gp item? That's pretty good.

Not as good as Rogue 2 or Monk 2 giving Evasion which costs 25,000gp on a ring though.

~

Also, while climibing you lose your dex bonus to AC and can only use 1 hand to fight with.

*edit*

Correction: A creature without a climb speed loses their dex bonus to AC while climbing. A creature with a climb speed retains their dex bonus to AC.

Crasical
2010-12-08, 01:45 AM
Also, while climibing you lose your dex bonus to AC and can only use 1 hand to fight with.

A creature retains its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) while climbing, and opponents get no special bonus on their attacks against a climbing creature.

At least the first part of that is incorrect.

Drider
2010-12-08, 01:49 AM
I, personally, try to climb surfaces by grabbing onto them with my feet, because there is no rule saying you can't.

Crasical
2010-12-08, 02:13 AM
So what can you do with one hand that's best done from the ceiling? Throwing weapons?

EDIT: Oh lord I didn't mean it that way. Stop snickering. Ceiling bukakke is NOT A BATTLE TACTIC.

Crossblade
2010-12-08, 02:15 AM
Climb DC 25:An overhang or ceiling with handholds but no footholds.

Take 10 + 8 + 4 ranks in Climb + 3 str modifier = 25

So a 1st level ape totem barbarian can climb across the ceiling like a spider without any sort of tools whatsoever?

Spiders don't need handholds. Sorry. :p

HunterOfJello
2010-12-08, 02:30 AM
At least the first part of that is incorrect.

Oh, I didn't see the caveat for creatures with a Climb Speed.

For normal climbing the SRD says:

While climbing, you can’t move to avoid a blow, so you lose your Dexterity bonus to AC (if any).

Irbis
2010-12-08, 08:59 AM
EDIT: Oh lord I didn't mean it that way. Stop snickering. Ceiling bukakke is NOT A BATTLE TACTIC.

What. Whatwhatwhatwhatwhat... :smalleek:

This is easily one of the most disturbing images on the board, EVER :P

Ernir
2010-12-08, 09:00 AM
You need a ceiling with handholds, though. Climbing a flat ceiling carries an epic DC. =/

RebelRogue
2010-12-08, 09:05 AM
What. Whatwhatwhatwhatwhat... :smalleek:

This is easily one of the most disturbing images on the board, EVER :P
You haven't been here for long, have you? :smallyuk:

Dr.Epic
2010-12-08, 09:10 AM
That's pretty awesome. I might have to make that for my next character.

Pika...
2010-12-08, 11:20 AM
All the better to rain death upon his foes!

Or feces...

Escheton
2010-12-08, 02:47 PM
Or feces...

Ah, hence the ape totem...

Crasical
2010-12-08, 04:12 PM
You need a ceiling with handholds, though. Climbing a flat ceiling carries an epic DC. =/

It specifies 'Perfectly Smooth and flat' before you get up to 70-100 DC, but it's up to DM interpretation whether standard dungeon ceilings qualify. I would assume usually not, reserving the epic DC for things like smoothed stone or glass, whereas normal dungeons are going to be crumbling brick/stonework or natural caves with stalactites.