PDA

View Full Version : {Now with added pics & vids!} That one big question. (You know which one)

Duos Greanleef
2010-12-08, 01:57 AM
This is a story that I want to tell, but I need help with an ending!

So, my girlfriend and I have been dating for just over 2 years. Lately (within the past month) we've been talking very seriously about marriage. On a whim last Thursday, we were browsing rings on the internet. She found one that she liked, but wanted to see it in person, so we went to the mall. She found a different ring that she liked way more, and wouldn't you know it; it was her size!
I got her father's permission to take her hand in marriage last night.
I've been browsing creative proposal ideas on the internet all day, and have only been emasculated by the sheer awesomeness that I've stumbled across
(fake art galleries, custom songs, trips to Paris, you name it).
So there's a thousand dollar ring on the shelf next to me, and I 'm trying to figure out how to give it to the greatest person that's ever happened to me short of my deity of choice.
To the Playground!
I have this idea. I'll preface it with we're both fun loving individuals with a great sense of humor and an acceptance of the childishness (for our first Christmas, we bought each other Shel Silverstein books without any coordination).
Here's my idea. I'm supposed to work Friday night, but should be able to get off early enough to pull off this idea. She has plans long enough to make this feasible. I want to hide in her closet with a ton (ok, like 30) balloons of various bright colors. I'll make her think (via text) that I got off work early enough to go do something, but only if she gets around very quickly and we go in "a few minutes." Here's what I'm thinking, when she rushes over to the closet to find something to wear, a shower of balloons will come cascading onto her, and I will be right there, on bended knee, with the ring and a HUGE grin! Then I'll ask her to marry me.

Here are the questions:
For girls: If your guy did this for you, how would you react?
For everyone: What are your general thoughts on this idea? (adorable, super creepy, totally awesome, needs work, etc)
Please help me! If this is great, I need the affirmation because I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO nervous about this (heck, I'm shaking now and I'm just typing about it!) If this is awful, I need to know now before I ruin (what's supposed to be) the happiest moment of our lives thus far.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Lady Moreta
2010-12-08, 02:09 AM
*snip*

Speaking as a girl, I LOVE it :smallbiggrin:

My one warning was going to be, don't be surprised or hurt if your lady doesn't actually remember specifics of your proposal. My husband proposed April 2007 and I cannot remember a thing of what he said. I remember where we were, and obviously I remember the important question, but all the lovey-dove stuff... I've got no idea.

I like your idea because it cuts that out and gets right to the point :smallsmile: and 30 bright balloons is certainly memorable! :smallbiggrin: Not that you can't do the lovey-dovey, but I think snuggling after she's said yes is a better idea than waxing eloquent beforehand.

For pure mechanics, I would suggest finding a closet and 30 balloons and trying it out beforehand. You may find that 30 is too many or not enough. And you probably want to practice moving around in a tight space with balloons... I'm assuming you don't want her to open the door, you to trip and fall on your face instead of your knees :smallsmile:

Deth Muncher
2010-12-08, 02:18 AM
As a guy, I still support this. It's disgustingly adorable enough, it's almost sure to work perfectly. The only thing could be getting the balloons prepped - are you going to buy them, or inflate them yourself?

Lady Moreta
2010-12-08, 02:23 AM
Buying 30 pre-inflated ones could get pretty pricey.

If you're not sure you've got the oomph to blow up that many, you could try getting a basic air pump. Afterwards you can use it to blow up beach balls and other inflatables :smallsmile:

Shyftir
2010-12-08, 02:28 AM
A small helium canister isn't too crazy I mean if you can afford to get her a $1000 ring, a helium canister rental/fill up shouldn't be to hard to come up with.

Also then you can ask her in a crazy helium voice!

You know scratch that, there is such a thing as too much silliness.

Lady Moreta
2010-12-08, 02:35 AM
Unless getting the $1000 ring used up all his moneys :smalltongue:

Gullara
2010-12-08, 02:38 AM
I'm not a man that goes "daaaaaaaaaaaw" easily, but I felt the need to when I read this.

*cough*

Anyway, great idea.

Duos Greanleef
2010-12-08, 08:27 AM
Speaking as a girl, I LOVE it :smallbiggrin:
I like your idea because it cuts that out and gets right to the point :smallsmile: and 30 bright balloons is certainly memorable! :smallbiggrin: Not that you can't do the lovey-dovey, but I think snuggling after she's said yes is a better idea than waxing eloquent beforehand.
That's kind of my style (direct). Plus, I love snuggling! THanks for the affirmation.

As a guy, I still support this. It's disgustingly adorable enough, it's almost sure to work perfectly. The only thing could be getting the balloons prepped - are you going to buy them, or inflate them yourself?
Well, I was going to have a little prep time, so blowing the balloons up myself while I'm waiting was kind of the plan.

A small helium canister isn't too crazy I mean if you can afford to get her a $1000 ring, a helium canister rental/fill up shouldn't be to hard to come up with.

Unless getting the $1000 ring used up all his moneys :smalltongue:
^^^THIS^^^

I'm not a man that goes "daaaaaaaaaaaw" easily, but I felt the need to when I read this.

*cough*

Anyway, great idea.
Thank you, sir.

It looks like I'll probably still go with this method. I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes, however, I'm going to be carrying the ring with me everywhere I go, ever vigilant for a perfect opportunity.

Cyrion
2010-12-08, 10:48 AM
Just make sure that she's not the kind who startles badly. My wife would kill me if I did something like this because she really doesn't do well with "Jump out and yell BOO! kinds of things.

On the other hand (and coming from a guy who proposed with a remote control penguin), that's a pretty great idea and one you'll both remember and tell stories about forever.

Instead of texting her, could you enlist a compatriot to deliver a note to get her home? The note would, of course, be accompanied by a balloon...

blackfox
2010-12-08, 11:07 AM
On the other hand (and coming from a guy who proposed with a remote control penguin), that's a pretty great idea and one you'll both remember and tell stories about forever.Alright, I want to hear this story :smallbiggrin:

dish
2010-12-08, 11:17 AM
How will you ensure she goes to the closet to look for something to wear? What if she's already wearing a cute outfit and decides she doesn't need to change? Is there a roomate whose support you can enlist to ensure all goes to plan?

rakkoon
2010-12-08, 11:32 AM
Cool plan, have a backup plan ready. Like a text saying something like, I left a present in your closet or something. A friend would he handy too (thanks TPAM)

(my proposal was on the Tower Bridge btw :smallredface: )

Tirian
2010-12-08, 11:47 AM
I'm not usually one for these gimmicky proposals, but you have my permission. If you wanted to be certain that she'd go to the closet, you could make it clear that what you had in mind was a sufficiently fancy dinner for two. She'd probably be thinking that you'd be asking her then, but I suppose that there is no doubt in her mind that the question is coming sooner rather than later.

I will also say that asking her father in advance is a classy move.

thubby
2010-12-08, 11:49 AM
seems somewhat prone to accidents.

Lillith
2010-12-08, 11:54 AM
If my guy did that I'd first get a heart attack and then start crying. But that's mostly cause he'd never in his entire life time would be able to come up with such a cute idea asking someone's hand. So yeah, awesome idea! Go for it!

Haruki-kun
2010-12-08, 12:57 PM
You might want to get a friend to help you out with it. otherwise you'll have a hard time stuffing yourself in the closet with the balloons. Unless you inflate them inside.

EDIT: Oh, sorry, and... I love the idea. My mind wanders.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-08, 12:59 PM
Well, I may be a little black raincloud, but I'm going to have to give a definite 'hell, no'.

I'm a guy, but that'd put me on the defensive quick and I'd be charging at this strangeness that just burst out of my closet. May just be me, but fear/being startled usually translates to anger, and that's the last thing you want.

I don't know her, but most girls to my knowledge don't flow from fear to relief quickly enough for her to be mentally ready for such a question. After something that raises her heartbeat, but in a pleasant manner, is fine, but otherwise...

Nothing negative should be part of a proposal is my thoughts, and unless she is totally mellow, it's gonna freak her out for a second. She's coming home, think you're not to arrive for a time, is alone, and something startling happens.

No.

If it was a public place, or somewhere she didn't feel alone that'd be one thing, but I personally wouldn't like the vibe to it.

If it was a birthday, or you were doing it as a prank, that's one thing. But this is more special and everything needs to be spinning the right way, y'know?

Edit: Suggestion, is there any way you can give a hint that something is planned, for her to not be totally freaked out? Maybe a trail of balloons leading to the closet? Candles lit. something.

Then again, anything is better than how my sister was proposed to. They were just sitting together watching TV and he pulls a ring out of his pocket and says, "Hey, do you want this?"

They're married, and my sister is expecting, but she was more than a little ticked with how absolutely no thought was put into it.

Haruki-kun
2010-12-08, 01:07 PM
*snip*

Well... it's a valid point...

Duos, you know her better than us. Do you think she'd react negatively?

Duos Greanleef
2010-12-08, 03:00 PM
(snip)
Instead of texting her, could you enlist a compatriot to deliver a note to get her home? The note would, of course, be accompanied by a balloon...
She doesn't startle too badly. In fact, she's one of the most relaxed people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. And the idea about the note with a balloon? FANTASTIC! I love it! Thank you for that advice.

(snip)
I obtained her father's blessing just a few nights ago. It's not very manly to go ahead without his permission.

(snip)
Well, It's a walk in closet with a door that swings out, so I shouldn't have too much trouble getting myself inside with the balloons, and inflating them in there. I also have the aid of my best friend, and her roommate/best friend, so it shouldn't be too bad.

(snip)
I appreciate your honesty, and I'd like to refer you to the earlier reply to Cyrion. She's so chilled out normally that she shouldn't scare too easily. Also, her roommate should be in the room when all of this goes down (maybe with a camera?), so I'm not really super worried about scaring her to death. As er your idea of a trail of balloons or candles, I think it'll be too much, and she'll figure it out too quickly. She's very smart, and I'm all too confident in her ability to reason deductively.:smalltongue:

Asta Kask
2010-12-08, 03:04 PM
I think you should dress up in a clown suit. And mutter, hoarsely, gutturally we all... float down here... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_%28novel%29)

Nah, it's a good idea. It's just all the balloons that gave me strange ideas.

ForzaFiori
2010-12-08, 03:07 PM
Something else to think about: Even if your going to inflate them yourself, unless you want balloons that just roll on the ground, you'll still need some helium or other lighter than air gas. Just filling it with breath doesn't make them float. You'd almost certainly need some sort of help to get them filled and into the closest with you.

I, personally, think that your idea is epic. Though I also have to agree with Tribble in that you would have to be VERY sure that you're not going to just freak her out with the surprise.

Duos Greanleef
2010-12-08, 03:14 PM
(snip)
lolz. I'm actually afraid of clowns myself, so I'll probably leave this one alone. :smalltongue:

(snip)
I'm going to inflate them and put them on a sheet over her door, so that when she opens the door, instead of being tidal wave'd she'll be waterfall'd. Also, I don't have access to helium at the present.

Syka
2010-12-08, 03:45 PM
I personally wouldn't like it, but I'm also the type where I know how my wedding will go down. Pretty much, we'll probably be chilling in PJ's and one of us go "So...wanna go get hitched?" and head down to the courthouse. Party to be thrown at a later date, plus a trip to a Vegas Drive-Thru to have a 'real wedding' with Elvis as the officiator.

No...seriously. That's how I want it to happen. >> No grand proposal or anything like that.

If she's the type to like a circus of it (no pun intended), I think it'll be good. Particularly if she has something hinting at All Is Not Right In My Room before you pop out of the closet.

CrimsonAngel
2010-12-08, 04:07 PM
For girls:

I'm going to count myself as a girl ._. I loaf* it. Alot.

*love

Icewalker
2010-12-08, 04:37 PM
How will you ensure she goes to the closet to look for something to wear? What if she's already wearing a cute outfit and decides she doesn't need to change? Is there a roomate whose support you can enlist to ensure all goes to plan?

This. Gotta make sure she decides she needs to change. Otherwise this fails terribly (albeit rather amusingly).

One suggestion: add in your message something implying that you are taking her out somewhere nice. For no particular reason. Like a fancy restaurant. Then she definitely needs to change. It will also make her conclude, as you are taking her out somewhere fancy for "no reason" and you've been talking about this, that you are going to propose. But she's expecting it once you get there, not before! Also, you can actually set it up, and after proposing, you can indeed take her out to some nice restaurant immediately afterwards.

KenderWizard
2010-12-08, 04:49 PM
I think it's a really sweet idea. Gotta be honest, I'd probably scream, but I relax quickly after a shock, and I'd be totally thrilled with the balloonerfall! You should definitely try that out beforehand if you can, in a similar closet. Open the door so you can see what it'll look like from her perspective. And get good big balloons, in really bright colours, then it'll look amazing.

Asta Kask
2010-12-08, 05:23 PM
This. Gotta make sure she decides she needs to change. Otherwise this fails terribly (albeit rather amusingly).

Have a friend cunningly spill beer over her.

RebelRogue
2010-12-08, 05:32 PM
Nothing wrong with it, certainly, but it also seems a bit old-fashioned to me. Maybe it's a cultural thing? I never asked my father-in-law for permission (but then again, my wife was the one to propose - while drunk on new years eve, out of the blue. At that time I had thought about proposing to her for months, but I was too worried about finding the perfect way/place to do it and still hadn't bought a ring since I was still trying to figure out how to measure her finger size in an inconspicious way).

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-08, 06:05 PM
Then again, anything is better than how my sister was proposed to. They were just sitting together watching TV and he pulls a ring out of his pocket and says, "Hey, do you want this?"

They're married, and my sister is expecting, but she was more than a little ticked with how absolutely no thought was put into it.

I may be remembering the story incorrectly, but I'm pretty sure my father proposed to my mother when they were at a baseball game. They'd been discussing it before I suppose, and he just said "So how about that marriage thing?"

Creed
2010-12-08, 06:12 PM
*girlfriend opens closet*
"SUPRISE!"
*kills you with katana*
No, that's depressing.

Anyways, I think it sounds like a nice (albeit unconventional) way to propose.
Best Wishes!

/Creed

Raistlin1040
2010-12-08, 06:29 PM
Nothing wrong with it, certainly, but it also seems a bit old-fashioned to me. Maybe it's a cultural thing? I never asked my father-in-law for permission (but then again, my wife was the one to propose - while drunk on new years eve, out of the blue. At that time I had thought about proposing to her for months, but I was too worried about finding the perfect way/place to do it and still hadn't bought a ring since I was still trying to figure out how to measure her finger size in an inconspicious way).This. I am not sure about my parents' situation (although my grandpa and my dad are like best friends for life, so I'm sure he would've said yes if my dad asked), but it just seems like a pointless question to me. If he says yes then you really didn't need to ask, and if he says no, what are you going to do? Not marry her because her dad doesn't like you? I feel like asking the father's permission harkens back to the days when women were basically property.

Lady Moreta
2010-12-08, 09:04 PM
This. I am not sure about my parents' situation (although my grandpa and my dad are like best friends for life, so I'm sure he would've said yes if my dad asked), but it just seems like a pointless question to me. If he says yes then you really didn't need to ask, and if he says no, what are you going to do? Not marry her because her dad doesn't like you? I feel like asking the father's permission harkens back to the days when women were basically property.

Partly it's throw-back to earlier times when a father saying no meant you didn't get married (unless you eloped which was a HUGE no-no). Partly it's a way of showing respect.

My husband asked permission of both my parents, which I rather liked. It was something that my mother had previously warned me my father was expecting and wanting, but it was also something my husband wanted to do himself. But then again, my parents are rather traditional and so is my husband. If my parents had said 'no' - I can't really say what would have happened, because there's just no way they would have. It was more of a courtesy towards my parents than anything else.

About the starling of your lady - perhaps after the balloons cascade, you pause briefly for her to get over the initial 'balloons on my head!' reaction and then go down on one knee. Give her a chance to settle first - you could always just wait til you're in the act, see how startled she is and give her a bit of time to come down from the ceiling if need be :smallsmile: I like the idea of implying you'll be asking at a restaurant though, it's a good way to prepare her for a surprise, but then you get to surprise her in a completely different way :smallsmile:

HalfTangible
2010-12-08, 09:07 PM
You are insane.

Good thing to because that idea is AWESOME. Go for it. :smallbiggrin:

Demon 997
2010-12-08, 09:42 PM
I love this idea! Telling her you're taking her to a nice restaurant is a great way to make sure she changes, just make sure you actually take her. You have to tell us what happens and/or post a video.

Duos Greanleef
2010-12-09, 12:53 AM
Thank you for all of the well wishes! The more I think about it, the more I feel like this is going to be the best thing ever (well, at least until we actually get hitched)!
Also, there has been a (somewhat) modest change on plans. Instead of telling her that we're going out to eat, I'm going to tell her that there's a surprise waiting for her in her closet. We're both broke college students, and I'm sure that she'll understand. Instead, I'll cook her dinner. (Her favorite pasta is tortellini, so I'll be doing that in a cheesy garlic sauce. But I digress.)

I have this other idea that I'm going to sort of weasel into the previous plan:
Phase one (tomorrow morning): Have her roommate place a card with a deflated balloon attached to it and some sort of love quote pertaining to a balloon or a property of a balloon.
Phase two (tomorrow evening): Have her roommate place a mixed tapeCD on my lady's desk. I already have Owl City: Hot Air Balloon, Nena: 99 Red Balloons, & Modest Mouse: Float On. (I need some help with the playlist; songs that pertain to balloons, or qualities therein)
Phase three (Friday morning): Another note. Just "I love you"
Phase four (Friday afternoon): Another note. Actually, a picture drawn in crayon of a heart balloon.
Phase five (Friday during setup): Another note. There's a surprise for you in the closet. Call me when you get it, and then we'll have dinner!

(this is where she opens her closet)
(this is where we become fiancees instead of significant others)
(this is where we have dinner)

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-09, 01:00 AM
Feeling a lot better about it with your ideas. Good deal!

More balloon songs:
Up, Up and Away - 5th Dimension (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC9yD8YqXYI)

Demon 997
2010-12-09, 01:16 AM
That is a truly excellent plan. We (I) demand video if possible.

THAC0
2010-12-09, 01:23 AM
I like the "surprise in the closet." Initially, I would have been concerned about her not going to the closet!

As long as you're confident that she won't react by seriously injuring you (I might!), good luck and godspeed!

Re: asking parents. Husband and I got married on very short order thanks to the military. He didn't ask. When my father walked me down the aisle and went to shake Husband's hand, he said "Next time, ask!" It was pretty funny.

Duos Greanleef
2010-12-09, 01:28 AM
So I just had another idea.
Over dinner, we can watch UP.
Neither of us have seen it yet, and it fits the profile really well!
:smallbiggrin::biggrin::smallbiggrin:

THAC0
2010-12-09, 02:43 AM
So I just had another idea.
:smallbiggrin::biggrin::smallbiggrin:

Have tissues. Lots of them. That movie made me sob like no other.

Lady Moreta
2010-12-09, 02:52 AM
Have tissues. Lots of them. That movie made me sob like no other.

Me too! Great movie but it made me bawl...

I love the buildup idea... you'll get her thinking there's a balloon in her closet and well, there will be, won't there? :smallbiggrin:

Icewalker
2010-12-09, 03:11 AM
I love, it's fantastic, you're awesome.

Also, watching Up is a GREAT follow up plan. Fantastic movie, perfectly fitting...like really really a lot, actually.

rakkoon
2010-12-09, 03:22 AM

Friend of mine: his girlfriend opens the glove compartment, a ring falls out, he stummers "Oh ****...do you want to marry me". She said he had to ask again :smalleek:

Demon 997
2010-12-09, 03:29 AM
Be aware that the opening of Up is very sad (if incredibly touching). If you don't want something that'll make you sniffle a little I wouldn't recommend it for this occasion. Great movie though.

Zeb The Troll
2010-12-09, 04:23 AM
I love, it's fantastic, you're awesome.

Also, watching Up is a GREAT follow up plan. Fantastic movie, perfectly fitting...like really really a lot, actually.Agree TOTALLY. This is a great movie for a move like this. It's very fitting. Do keep the tissues nearby though. She'll already be emotional, presumably, so even if she's not a weeper, the combination might push her over the edge. Not to cause any alarm or anything. The opening is just very moving in a very sweet and touching way.

Manga Shoggoth
2010-12-09, 04:41 AM
Partly it's throw-back to earlier times when a father saying no meant you didn't get married (unless you eloped which was a HUGE no-no). Partly it's a way of showing respect.

And, of course, you are asking permission of the person who will probably be footing the bill for the wedding...

As to proposals, I actually proposed several times on different themes: "the official one", "the intellectual one" and so on. Sharon would prefer that I not mention "the embarrasing one".

Asta Kask
2010-12-09, 08:26 AM
What's her dowry like? :smallbiggrin:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-09, 08:39 AM
Ha, now you're getting into it!

And, of course, you are asking permission of the person who will probably be footing the bill for the wedding...
HA.

HA! :smallamused:

Phaedra
2010-12-09, 08:39 AM

Do people still do this? Everyone I know has paid for their own wedding (which has usually meant very small weddings, but that's ok, they don't have to be fancy). I know me and my boyfriend have been fully expecting to pay for our wedding ourselves, should we ever actually bother with marriage.

On asking the father: I'm pretty sure my dad would just be really confused if my boyfriend asked him if it was ok to marry me, and then would point out that it was up to me. It's not that it would go down badly per se, he'd just think it was a bit odd.

The balloons are cool. I'd like it, anyway. It's memorable.

Syka
2010-12-09, 08:52 AM
Do people still do this? Everyone I know has paid for their own wedding (which has usually meant very small weddings, but that's ok, they don't have to be fancy). I know me and my boyfriend have been fully expecting to pay for our wedding ourselves, should we ever actually bother with marriage.

On asking the father: I'm pretty sure my dad would just be really confused if my boyfriend asked him if it was ok to marry me, and then would point out that it was up to me. It's not that it would go down badly per se, he'd just think it was a bit odd.

The balloons are cool. I'd like it, anyway. It's memorable.

My mom and my soon-to-be brother-in-laws family are footing their bill. So...yeah. Pretty much. There is a reason I want to elope to Vegas and just party my head off. Weddings are expensive.

On Up: I'm not a crier. I don't get emotional in front of people often. I hardcore cried in the first 15 minutes of Up. It was just so...sad, but also really sweet. Then I cried for the rest of the movie due to laughter. :smallwink:

Duos Greanleef
2010-12-09, 09:36 AM
Well, she's going into the ministry, so I'm really not in this thing for the money. :smalltongue:

The main reason that I wanted to ask her father was out of respect. He's been the man in her life for 20 years now, and she's his firstborn daughter. I didn't want to just take her away from him. I wanted to know that he was on board. I'm not sure that our marriage would be as good if there wasn't a god relationship between her parents and I. Her parents are going to be paying for most of the wedding. So that's another good reason to let him know what's going on.

Mr. Filcher
2010-12-09, 10:25 AM
I'm really anxious to see how this all turns out. :smallsmile:

Cyrion
2010-12-09, 10:44 AM
Alright, I want to hear this story :smallbiggrin:

The Penguin Proposal (spoilered for length):

My wife (then girlfriend) bought into the penguin thing hard and early. We have a local wildlife park where many of the exhibits are interactive, and they also have "animal ambassadors" who can come to your events with things like lemurs, tiger kittens, etc. I was working with them to get an animal ambassador penguin to present the ring to her, but that fell through, so I had to devise an alternate plan. So, I bought a remote control truck and mounted a styrofoam iceberg on top of it. On top of this was mounted a two-and-a-half-foot tall stuffed penguin. Around the penguins neck on a ribbon was a card.

One night as she was letting her students out of class, I steered the whole contraption around the corner and parked it behind her. Her back was to the door, so the students still in the class got to see it come in, and several students stopped outside the door to watch the festivities. As she was talking to people, she backed into it a couple of times and finally turned around to look at what she was bumping into.

Here's the mystifying part- she was expecting a proposal some time soon, and she loves penguins, but didn't put the two together. She asked the students if this was for any of them, and they said no, it was probably for her. She reached down for the card and then did me the immense favor of reading it aloud (I was around the corner, out of sight):

On the cover:
These penguins are having a party!

[Collage of penguin partying photos. You'd be amazed what's out on the web!]

Inside:
But every penguin knows it's not a party without you.
So save the date and put on your fancy dress,
Because these penguins asked me to ask you...

At this point she looked up. I'd come around the corner and was down on one knee with the ring on cue to ask "Will you marry me?"

On asking dads: It's old fashioned, but most dad's will still really appreciate it. I asked my wife's bio-dad and step-dad both. I updated the question a little- I asked for their blessing rather than their permission.

Duos Greanleef
2010-12-09, 11:18 AM

The best penguin proposal of all time

*snip*

I wish I was half as creative as you, sir. This is fantastic.
Well-played! /golf clap/

blackfox
2010-12-09, 11:24 AM
*snip*D'awwwwwwwwwwww. :smallbiggrin:

leakingpen
2010-12-09, 11:31 AM

Also then you can ask her in a crazy helium voice!

You know scratch that, there is such a thing as too much silliness.

not helium, they wont tumble out.

You will get hot and sweaty surrounded by all the balloons, just saying.

I love this idea though. My only suggestion? add a webcam that will be behind her, and one behind you, so you get it all recorded from both angles.

THAC0
2010-12-09, 11:40 AM

The day of my wedding, I had my father go buy some toy cows and sheep and give them to Husband. :smallbiggrin:

Asta Kask
2010-12-09, 11:41 AM
The day of my wedding, I had my father go buy some toy cows and sheep and give them to Husband. :smallbiggrin:

Remember, if you get a divorce he has to give them back. Plus interest.

Liriel
2010-12-09, 12:40 PM
Gotta be honest - I'd freak! Like seriously freak out. I'm not a big fan of balloons though. (Hate the popping.) :smallredface:

Otherwise though - *very* cute idea. :smallbiggrin:

And I'll throw in another 'have tissues' for Up.

A huge congrats to you!

Duos Greanleef
2010-12-09, 01:30 PM
This is the final revision/addition to my plan. After this, I just don't have time to tweak it, but it'll be great!

I'm going to put the ring into one balloon, and hold that balloon separately.
After she settles down and sees me standing there, she won't see the ring. I'll smile at her, with the line: "I bet you were expecting me to pop the question?" *pause* Get on one knee, and pop the balloon with a safety pin and "Will you marry me?"

Also I've cut the anticipation down to two notes and a CD. The CD will be on her desk in the morning, and I've recruited another friend to drop two notes in the two classes that they have together tomorrow.

All I need to do now is get a shave, memorize my lines, kill my nerves, steel my will, and pray for the best.

Thanks to all of you for all of your support and well wishes. The next time that I post on this thread will hopefully be as an engaged man with a link to youtube.

grimbold
2010-12-09, 01:48 PM
Thank you for all of the well wishes! The more I think about it, the more I feel like this is going to be the best thing ever (well, at least until we actually get hitched)!
Also, there has been a (somewhat) modest change on plans. Instead of telling her that we're going out to eat, I'm going to tell her that there's a surprise waiting for her in her closet. We're both broke college students, and I'm sure that she'll understand. Instead, I'll cook her dinner. (Her favorite pasta is tortellini, so I'll be doing that in a cheesy garlic sauce. But I digress.)

I have this other idea that I'm going to sort of weasel into the previous plan:
Phase one (tomorrow morning): Have her roommate place a card with a deflated balloon attached to it and some sort of love quote pertaining to a balloon or a property of a balloon.
Phase two (tomorrow evening): Have her roommate place a mixed tapeCD on my lady's desk. I already have Owl City: Hot Air Balloon, Nena: 99 Red Balloons, & Modest Mouse: Float On. (I need some help with the playlist; songs that pertain to balloons, or qualities therein)
Phase three (Friday morning): Another note. Just "I love you"
Phase four (Friday afternoon): Another note. Actually, a picture drawn in crayon of a heart balloon.
Phase five (Friday during setup): Another note. There's a surprise for you in the closet. Call me when you get it, and then we'll have dinner!

(this is where she opens her closet)
(this is where we become fiancees instead of significant others)
(this is where we have dinner)

these fixes take away all that could go wrong and make it perfect and not intimidating.
i think this is a GREAT plan
best of luck

Ytaker
2010-12-09, 02:00 PM
I know someone who did that. The person they did it to had an enormous fear of balloons and had a severe mental breakdown. I lolled. They've got pictures of it on their facebook. She carefully wedged her bed up against the wall to make a pen for the balloons, so they couldn't attack her.

grimbold
2010-12-09, 02:14 PM
I know someone who did that. The person they did it to had an enormous fear of balloons and had a severe mental breakdown. I lolled. They've got pictures of it on their facebook. She carefully wedged her bed up against the wall to make a pen for the balloons, so they couldn't attack her.
thats terrible!

Ytaker
2010-12-09, 02:25 PM
thats terrible!

It's a life experience. Her partner now knows that filling her entire room with balloons is a bad idea if she doesn't want to hear horrible screams of pain.

John Cribati
2010-12-09, 05:01 PM
I think you should let her figure out the "pop the question" joke.

Lady Moreta
2010-12-09, 07:57 PM

My parents paid for our wedding, and I know my mother has saved up another 10k for when my sister gets married. I do intend to pay my mother back for my dress/accessories, because I had always intended to pay for that myself it was just easier for mum to do it at the time and for me to pay her back. Unfortunately, we are not yet in a situation where I can afford to to it. But it's on the list!

That's just adorable :smallbiggrin:

I like the modifications Duos, the less you need to organise will probably be better, less for you to stress over :smallsmile:

fimzo
2010-12-09, 08:22 PM
This is an amazing idea. As was previously said, the beginning of Up is touching, but sad.
Just don't let the ring fly out of the balloon when you pop it... you definitely don't want it getting lost, after all.

Demon 997
2010-12-09, 08:44 PM
This is an amazing idea. As was previously said, the beginning of Up is touching, but sad.
Just don't let the ring fly out of the balloon when you pop it... you definitely don't want it getting lost, after all.

Yeah, having to search for the ring could really kill the mood. Perhaps have the ring hidden in the hand holding the balloon and then produce it when you pop the balloon?

absolmorph
2010-12-09, 08:48 PM
Cyrion, Duos, I put my hat back on just so I could take it off to the both of you.
Creative, cool and well thought-out proposals are the best.

And Duos, I hope things are going according to plan.

Alarra
2010-12-10, 01:11 AM
That sounds like an awesome way to propose, too cute. I would be worried about losing the ring when popping the balloon though.

Icewalker
2010-12-10, 02:01 AM
Yeah, having to search for the ring could really kill the mood. Perhaps have the ring hidden in the hand holding the balloon and then produce it when you pop the balloon?

As several people have noted, this is definitely a concern. And I think this here is the best solution.

Duos Greanleef
2010-12-10, 06:37 AM
I know I said I wouldn't post again until after the deed, but I'm so nervous, that I can't sleep anymore, and I need something to do. :smalltongue:

This is awful. Downright mean-spirited.

I will be able to pinch the ring through the balloon, so losing it shouldn't be a problem.

The first clue (the CD) should be on her desk right about now, considering that her roommate has way early classes and is usually going about her morning routine by now. Can't wait to get that text! :smallsmile:

KenderWizard
2010-12-10, 07:02 AM
Oh wow! Good luck! I can't wait to hear how it turns out!!

CoffeeIncluded
2010-12-10, 07:04 AM
Good luck!

Abies
2010-12-10, 10:00 AM
Well, she's going into the ministry, so I'm really not in this thing for the money. :smalltongue:

The main reason that I wanted to ask her father was out of respect. He's been the man in her life for 20 years now, and she's his firstborn daughter. I didn't want to just take her away from him. I wanted to know that he was on board. I'm not sure that our marriage would be as good if there wasn't a god relationship between her parents and I. Her parents are going to be paying for most of the wedding. So that's another good reason to let him know what's going on.

Ok this post here just verified everything I was thinking was going on from the begining when you mentioned the $1000 ring and asking "permission". You guys are still young and unestablished financially/professionally.

Don't listen to all the other folks saying asking permission is an archaic holdover from when women were chattel. Its perfectly acceptable for a young couple to seek the advice of their parents as to whether or not they think marriage is a logical next step at this point in thier lives.

In my experience "Asking permission of the bride's father" is basically asking whether the father (and mother) think the prospective husband can support thier daughter as well as or better than the girl's parents can. In many places, upon getting married children can no longer be included in thier parent's health insurance, parents are off the hook for education costs, etc...

Had his father in law said "no" it would not necessarily have been a condemnation of thier relationship, just concern that they were not ready to support themselves fully.

As it stands though, his father in law said yes, and all is well.

Best wishes for your wedding and lives together.

And oh yes, your proposal idea sounds quite memorable, good luck with that too.

Cyrion
2010-12-10, 10:01 AM
Best of luck!

Don't be too nervous- you've already talked about it together, so you should know what the answer is going to be. The only real variable is the details of the story you get to tell everyone afterwards!

Elfin
2010-12-10, 11:48 AM
Best of luck, Duos. :smallsmile:

MPG
2010-12-10, 12:13 PM
Don't be nervous. She picked out the ring after all. So I'm sure she'll say yes.
She'll be expecting something but is just clever enough to work.

Have a happy life together. :smallsmile:

Syka
2010-12-10, 12:35 PM
Abies, the issue of health insurance (assuming OP is in America) is a non-issue as of January 1, 2011. All children, regardless of marital status, financial situation, living arrangement, or anything else has the option to remain on their parents health insurance until age 26 now. Independent tax status no longer means having to remove health care.

Although, it doesn't change the other alterations (acceptance of the partners debts, partners income being taken into account for financial aid, etc).

DwarvenExodus
2010-12-10, 01:37 PM
Wow, this is a brilliant plan! Good luck!

Roderick_BR
2010-12-10, 02:18 PM
Whatever you do, just don't put on a wizard hat and robe. Good luck, man. We'll be waiting to hear about a marriage in the playground.

RebelRogue
2010-12-10, 06:16 PM
Whatever you do, just don't put on a wizard hat and robe. Good luck, man. We'll be waiting to hear about a marriage in the playground.
A Bloodninja proposal? :smallbiggrin:

Ytaker
2010-12-10, 06:32 PM
This is awful. Downright mean-spirited.

I was initially rather sorry for her. But she told the story of it in such an amusing way, and clearly prefered that I laugh rather than cry.

If you haven't already, you should make sure she doesn't hate balloons with a fanatical hatred.

Duos Greanleef
2010-12-10, 11:03 PM
Well, I'm engaged.
Pictures to follow!
:smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile::smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-10, 11:22 PM
Congrats! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

In the meantime, here's how NOT to use a balloon to propose:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKDRQTEDMbQ

Lady Moreta
2010-12-10, 11:31 PM
Whooo! :smallbiggrin:

That's awesome! Congratulations!

CoffeeIncluded
2010-12-11, 12:27 AM
Congratulations! I can't wait to see how it turned out!

Duos Greanleef
2010-12-11, 01:31 AM
Alright. Since you're all itching to see pictures:

The balloons after they spilled:
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd425/ulpitt/edited.jpg
The ring:
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd425/ulpitt/IMG_6905.jpg
The note telling her where to find her surprise:
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd425/ulpitt/IMG_6907.jpg
One of a series of balloons with the words " I Love You DeeDee!" leading up the stairs:
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd425/ulpitt/IMG_6914.jpg
The cards that I had delivered to her today.
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd425/ulpitt/IMG_6918.jpg
Fun action-y shot:
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd425/ulpitt/IMG_6919.jpg
The shot where you are best able to see both us and the baloons:
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd425/ulpitt/IMG_6926.jpg
The shot of me being super excited that she finally has the ring!:
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd425/ulpitt/IMG_6927.jpg

And now for the videos!

Unfortunately, We didn't get the whole thing...
Due to Camera malfunction, this is only 4 seconds long... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3KGbyjIiAA)
This one, however, is long enough to get the answer! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWK9k4mMFvo)

A very special thank you to all of the playgrounders that encouraged my decision and gave me the courage to do everything that I did! You guys are great!

Haruki-kun
2010-12-11, 01:43 AM
That is amazing! Congratulations!

I wish you both a long and happy life!

Skeppio
2010-12-11, 01:50 AM
Congratulations! Glad to hear it all went well! :smallbiggrin:

Icewalker
2010-12-11, 03:31 AM
Yaaaaaaaaaay!

:smallbiggrin:

The most congratulations, good sir. Both of you, be well now and forever. I like how stunned she is. It's adorable.

And, always be happy that it didn't go like this (http://5secondfilms.com/watch/the_proposal/).

Comet
2010-12-11, 05:11 AM
That was all kinds of smooth. Pop the question... way to go :smallbiggrin:

Eadin
2010-12-11, 06:36 AM
*Squee*
I'm so happy for you guys!
congrats!:smallbiggrin:

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2010-12-11, 06:48 AM
Surprise engagements are the best, as is evidenced in my blog here (http://sometimeswrite.blogspot.com/2010/09/my-plotting-revealed-at-last.html) and here (http://sometimeswrite.blogspot.com/2010/10/photographic-evidence.html). :smallsmile:

And please forgive me, but I enjoy showing off what is probably the most amazing experience of my entire life. :smallredface:

Oh...silly me: CONGRATULATIONS!

Lady Moreta
2010-12-11, 08:18 AM
Awesome! I love it :smallbiggrin:

You look great together :smallsmile:

grimbold
2010-12-11, 12:17 PM
the joy on her face was amazing
congratulations

KenderWizard
2010-12-11, 12:39 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!! The photos and videos are adorable, you guys look so happy together! I'm thrilled it went as planned, well done you!! :smallbiggrin:

Asta Kask
2010-12-11, 12:44 PM
That is amazing! Congratulations!

I wish you both a long and happy life!

And thirteen children! :smallbiggrin:

Demon 997
2010-12-12, 12:07 AM
I'm so happy for you two! That was an amazing proposal. The best of luck for you two.

Trog
2010-12-12, 12:40 PM
D'awwwww. :smallsmile:

Congratulations to you both! :smallbiggrin:

Elfin
2010-12-12, 01:09 PM
Congratulations on your engagement! My very best wishes. :smallsmile:

RebelRogue
2010-12-12, 05:32 PM
Congrats, both of you :smallsmile:

Cyrion
2010-12-13, 10:35 AM
Congratulations!

Now you will feel no rain,
For each of you will be shelter to the other.
Now you will feel no cold,
For each of you will be warmth to the other.
Now there is no more loneliness,
For each of you will be companion to the other.
Now you are two bodies,
But there is one life before you.
Go now to your dwelling place,
To enter into the days of your togetherness.
And may your days be good and long upon the earth.

"Apache" Wedding Blessing from the movie Broken Arrow

Yeah, it's Hollywood, but once in a while they get something right.

Thes Hunter
2010-12-13, 08:13 PM
Congradumalations!

I love the glow in each of your eyes! :smallbiggrin:

Duos Greanleef
2010-12-14, 01:38 PM
(snip)

"Apache" Wedding Blessing from the movie Broken Arrow

Yeah, it's Hollywood, but once in a while they get something right.

This is great! Thanks for that!
Another round of thanks to everyone!
Also, a preemptive round of thanks to everyone who will thank me in the future! :smalltongue:

Deth Muncher
2010-12-14, 11:43 PM
This is great! Thanks for that!
Another round of thanks to everyone!
Also, a preemptive round of thanks to everyone who will thank me in the future! :smalltongue:

You sly dog. You got that on video. You realize, of course, that you have to save those videos so you can show them to your grandkids.

Kjata
2010-12-15, 07:52 AM
Hey man, get out now. If you go through with this, all you have to look forward to is a potentially amazing life with someone you care about, share laughs and raising kids until the icy hand of death tears out your soul as your loving family misses you because you were such an amazing person.

Duos Greanleef
2010-12-15, 09:23 AM
Hey man, get out now. If you go through with this, all you have to look forward to is a potentially amazing life with someone you care about, share laughs and raising kids until the icy hand of death tears out your soul as your loving family misses you because you were such an amazing person.

That's a chance I'll just have to take! :smallsmile:

Asta Kask
2010-12-15, 11:50 AM
Does this mean that there's a risk of Duos breeding in the future?

Duos Greanleef
2010-12-15, 02:58 PM
I'd say it's less of a risk, but more of an eventuality.
However, that's in the 10 year plan, not the 5 year plan.

Lady Moreta
2010-12-16, 02:53 AM
I'd say it's less of a risk, but more of an eventuality.
However, that's in the 10 year plan, not the 5 year plan.

Just be prepared for the inevitable "so when are you guys having kids?" questions which will start about as soon as you get back from honeymoon, if not sooner. Unless you're my father who actually wrote in our guest book "no hurry for grandkids" Love you Dad :smallbiggrin:

Especially be prepared if anyone around you has kids. Friends of ours have a 7-month old daughter and I cannot be anywhere near her especially not actually holding her without getting "ooh you look so good" "you're such a natural" "when is it your turn?" questions. One of these days I'm gonna make a general annoucement about the whole thing. I know they mean well but if I answered the question the first time you asked with "not sure, when we get around to it. Not for a couple of years at least" what makes you think the answer will have changed that you need to ask it again?!!? :smallfurious:

Ahem... sorry... :smallredface:

Asta Kask
2010-12-16, 04:28 AM
So, lady... when are you gonna start breeding? :smallbiggrin:

Kiren
2010-12-16, 06:07 AM
Congratulations and good luck!

Diva De
2010-12-16, 01:01 PM
Much happiness and love and well wishes for you both!

Duos Greanleef
2010-12-16, 01:57 PM
Unfortunately, Lady, that has already started. When I told my older brother, he asked if she was already pregnant.
*facepalm*
Everyone's making assumptions since we're getting married this summer. :smallsigh:

Cyrion
2010-12-16, 03:53 PM
So, have people around you started giving you gratuitous wedding advice? That's the other question/series of statements that will come up.

If not, I'll start- Whatever you're planning, whether it's big and grand or runaway private, make sure you build in the ability to savor the day. It's very easy to get caught up in the "now-we-have-to-this-and-this-and-this-and-this" bustle and lose the magic of the day for yourselves. Make sure there's time for you and your wife to take a breath and smile at each other. Make it YOUR day as much as anyone else's.

Duos Greanleef
2010-12-16, 08:07 PM
She's a planner, and I'm not. To the very core of her being she's a planner. I keep trying to remind her that she's over-thinking things, but I don't know that I'm getting through to her on that front. :smalltongue:
It'll all work out okay! Right. Right?

Lady Moreta
2010-12-16, 08:38 PM
So, lady... when are you gonna start breeding? :smallbiggrin:

Oh shut up :smalltongue:

So, have people around you started giving you gratuitous wedding advice? That's the other question/series of statements that will come up.

If not, I'll start- Whatever you're planning, whether it's big and grand or runaway private, make sure you build in the ability to savor the day. It's very easy to get caught up in the "now-we-have-to-this-and-this-and-this-and-this" bustle and lose the magic of the day for yourselves. Make sure there's time for you and your wife to take a breath and smile at each other. Make it YOUR day as much as anyone else's.

That's not gratituous, that's very sensible advice and I wish someone had told me that when we were planning our wedding.

She's a planner, and I'm not. To the very core of her being she's a planner. I keep trying to remind her that she's over-thinking things, but I don't know that I'm getting through to her on that front. :smalltongue:
It'll all work out okay! Right. Right?

Yes it will :smallsmile: And trust me, she will calm down on the wedding-planning front eventually. I was all over-excited and got hugely into planning to the point that in about three months I had almost everything done and was totally burned out and needed a break. There is only so much 'wedding' you can handle before you need a rest. :smallsmile:

Worlok
2010-12-16, 08:43 PM
Well, I'll be... That was an awesome, awesome thing. And you guys are just so damn adorable! :smallbiggrin: Seriously, my dearest congratulations and only the best of luck to you two! :smallsmile:

Rockphed
2010-12-16, 10:07 PM

I intend to buy my wife from her father with 8 toy cows. If he catches the reference, I expect him to call her Mahana-you-ugly at some point. Unfortunately, I do not currently have any prospects for getting engaged.

And if we are giving gratuitous wedding advice, which can never, ever go wrong, here is my tidbit: With all your planning of a wedding, remember to plan your marriage.

Lady Moreta
2010-12-17, 07:55 AM
And if we are giving gratuitous wedding advice, which can never, ever go wrong, here is my tidbit: With all your planning of a wedding, remember to plan your marriage.

Also very good advice. I don't know what your thoughts are on such things, but pre-marital counseling never goes astray :smallsmile:

And while I'm not going to belittle the wedding day at all and I can't stand people who make too big a deal out of this, do remember that it's only one day. Your marriage is forever :smallsmile: I hate people who make a huge deal out of 'why are you wasting so much effort it's only one day' because everyone has different priorities, but keeping it in mind helps to keep your persepective.

Duos Greanleef
2010-12-17, 10:04 AM
I like what RockPhed said. I have been trying to keep the marriage plans running while she does the wedding. We sat down to look at budget stuff the other day, and I definitely feel a little more prepared than before. As far as pre-marital counseling goes; her parents are going to pay for it. There are professional marriage counselors on staff at the university she's attending. Her parents' only stipulation on our marriage was: If a professional counselor tells you to not get married, don't do it.

Asta Kask
2010-12-17, 10:11 AM
What is important is to get her to swear to "serve and obey you." :smallbiggrin:

Duos Greanleef
2010-12-17, 03:29 PM
What is important is to get her to swear to "serve and obey you." :smallbiggrin:

Sir,it's statements like this that make me wish these forums had a like button.