PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5e spells....in Japanese

Maho-Tsukai
2010-12-08, 10:17 AM
I know there is a pdf/book/web page/whatever it was out there that translated the D&D spells into Latin however I was wondering if anybody has done the same but with Japanese. I feel it would be really neat for an OA type campaign to have the spell names be in Japanese rather then English and thus was wondering if anybody out there has done this and put it up on the web....or has an interest enough to take on this feat?

Comet
2010-12-08, 10:21 AM
Various versions of D&D have been officially translated into Japanese. Might be hard to get and even harder to actually read, but still worth noting, I think.

true_shinken
2010-12-08, 10:29 AM
If you want, you could send me a list of spell names and I'd be glad to translate them to japanese for you.
Doing it for all the spells in the PHB looks rather tiresome, though.

Maho-Tsukai
2010-12-08, 10:37 AM
Thanks! I shall PM the list to you later today.

Prime32
2010-12-08, 11:35 AM
Various versions of D&D have been officially translated into Japanese. Might be hard to get and even harder to actually read, but still worth noting, I think.Since they wouldn't be written with English characters you'd have to understand Japanese to even pronounce them... at which point you could just translate them yourself anyway.

DeltaEmil
2010-12-08, 11:38 AM
A cheap way would be to use romaji, and pronounce the spells in faux-wanglish. Like saying faireboruu for fireball (or something like that)...

Prime32
2010-12-08, 11:44 AM
A cheap way would be to use romaji, and pronounce the spells in faux-wanglish. Like saying faireboruu for fireball (or something like that)...Faiyaabaru. :smalltongue:

Do you think it would be appropriate to translate gust of wind as kamaitachi? Or would that be a better name for bloodwind from Savage Species?

vampire2948
2010-12-08, 11:56 AM
I'd be happy to translate some. Though I am likely less adept at Japanese than Conjob.

Drop me a PM if you wish.

Sayonara,

Vampire,

true_shinken
2010-12-08, 12:00 PM
Faiyaabaru. :smalltongue:

Do you think it would be appropriate to translate gust of wind as kamaitachi? Or would that be a better name for bloodwind from Savage Species?

Bloodwind was reprinted in Spell Compendium. A kamaitachi that does not deal damage is not a kamaitachi, so you could use the name for that. I don't think it fits Gust of Wind at all.

Pika...
2010-12-08, 02:26 PM
Fireball = Kamama?

true_shinken
2010-12-08, 03:58 PM
Fireball = Kamama?

I think you meant kadama? Sounds awfull anyway. :smallfrown:

Gorilla2038
2010-12-08, 04:00 PM
Got a link to the Latin translation by chance?

Prime32
2010-12-08, 04:52 PM
I think you meant kadama? Sounds awfull anyway. :smallfrown:Hidama? Endama? Kakidama? Kaendama? Kasaidama?

Or you could go with "X no dama" rather than "Xdama". I think you'd use "tama" rather than "dama" in some cases, but I'm not sure where.

true_shinken
2010-12-08, 05:01 PM
Hidama? Endama? Kakidama? Kaendama? Kasaidama?

Or you could go with "X no dama" rather than "Xdama". I think you'd use "tama" rather than "dama" in some cases, but I'm not sure where.
If you use "X no tama", you are not making up a word. "tama" could be used in any case, since you are basically making up a word so you can pick whichever reading you want for the kanji. You usually use "tama" when it's the first kanji and "dama" when it's not, but I'm not sure if this is an actual rule.
I just realized "hidama" is an actual word - it stands for "falling star or a fireball". So we could go with hidama or hi no tama. Both stand for the same thing.

火の玉 - hi no tama 火玉 - hidama

EDIT: Also, I think some of your suggestions are a little off the mark, Prime. "kaki" is used for firearms or summer season and "kasai" is used for conflagration fire (as in the kind firemen are requested to put out).

Shade Kerrin
2010-12-08, 06:22 PM
Faiyaabaru. :smalltongue:

Duraagoon Slaaavu.

Had to say it

KillianHawkeye
2010-12-08, 07:49 PM
Duraagoon Slaaavu.

Doragon Sureebu :smallwink:

Ragitsu
2010-12-08, 07:52 PM
Ebaaado Bu-raku Tentukaru!

KillianHawkeye
2010-12-08, 07:56 PM
Ebaaado Bu-raku Tentukaru!

Sadly, while fun, I don't think this is what the OP was actually looking for....

n00b killa
2010-12-08, 08:13 PM
Kame-Hame-Ha!!!!!!!!1! ("Turtle Devastation Wave")

Neat idea. Please, post the results of this on the thread.

Turalisj
2010-12-08, 08:35 PM
I know there is a pdf/book/web page/whatever it was out there that translated the D&D spells into Latin however I was wondering if anybody has done the same but with Japanese. I feel it would be really neat for an OA type campaign to have the spell names be in Japanese rather then English and thus was wondering if anybody out there has done this and put it up on the web....or has an interest enough to take on this feat?

Google Translate is your friend. :smalltongue:

Prime32
2010-12-08, 10:01 PM
Doragon Sureebu :smallwink:Doragu Sureibu actually. :smalltongue:

Ebaaado Bu-raku Tentukaru!Ebaado no Kuroshokushu.

Blue Paladin
2010-12-09, 04:33 PM
I just realized "hidama" is an actual word - it stands for "falling star or a fireball". So we could go with hidama or hi no tama. Both stand for the same thing.

火の玉 - hi no tama 火玉 - hidama

It feels to me 球 (tama/kyuu) would be more appropriate than 玉 (tama/gyoku). Kakyuu 火球 also means Fireball, and implies more of the hurling aspect of the spell (thanks to 球's associations with baseball).

Hidama 火玉 or Hi no Tama 火の玉 implies a ball (as in a round sphere) made up of fire. So while it literally means Fire Ball/Ball of Fire, the connotations associated with the words work just about perfectly for Flaming Sphere instead.

Prime32
2010-12-09, 05:39 PM
It feels to me 球 (tama/kyuu) would be more appropriate than 玉 (tama/gyoku). Kakyuu 火球 also means Fireball, and implies more of the hurling aspect of the spell (thanks to 球's associations with baseball).Well, in Naruto there's "Katon: Goukakyuu no Jutsu (http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Fireball)", which has been translated as "Fire Release: Great Fireball Technique".

true_shinken
2010-12-10, 10:54 AM
It feels to me 球 (tama/kyuu) would be more appropriate than 玉 (tama/gyoku). Kakyuu 火球 also means Fireball, and implies more of the hurling aspect of the spell (thanks to 球's associations with baseball).

Hidama 火玉 or Hi no Tama 火の玉 implies a ball (as in a round sphere) made up of fire. So while it literally means Fire Ball/Ball of Fire, the connotations associated with the words work just about perfectly for Flaming Sphere instead.
I just mentioned 火玉 because it is an actual word in japanese. 火球 is a neologism, but it fits the fireball spell a lot better.

Blackfang108
2010-12-10, 11:30 AM
I just mentioned 火玉 because it is an actual word in japanese. 火球 is a neologism, but it fits the fireball spell a lot better.

Neologisms are actual words, too. They just need more love.

Blue Paladin
2010-12-10, 11:55 AM
Curious, how do you know it's a neologism? Is there a site where you can track such things? Etymology is a hobby of mine, and I'd be quite interested to learn about other languages as well (for instance, I recently learned the derivation of "東西" in Chinese)...

Back to the subject at hand, OP, it would seem that this page is perfect for you:

http://www.geocities.jp/zec_dd/spells_frame.html

true_shinken
2010-12-10, 01:02 PM
Curious, how do you know it's a neologism? Is there a site where you can track such things?
I did not find it in my dictionary, so I assumed as such. I could be wrong, though I doubt it.

randomhero00
2010-12-10, 02:32 PM
Since they wouldn't be written with English characters you'd have to understand Japanese to even pronounce them... at which point you could just translate them yourself anyway.

Actually there's kanji or however its spelled, that's phonetically english.

true_shinken
2010-12-10, 02:35 PM
Actually there's kanji or however its spelled, that's phonetically english.

I assume you mean katakana and it's not phonetically english. First, because having an alphabet for words of one foreign language would be silly. Second, because you don't have a lot of sounds of english in the japanese language.
Katakana is used for emphasis or for words from foreign languages (nor just english). It's still phonetically japanese.