PDA

View Full Version : Has this been errata'd?

graeylin
2010-12-08, 10:37 AM
For all the other spell casting classes, you have to have your 'ability score' equal to 10 plus the spell level in order to cast a spell of said level... Have a 14 intelligence/wisdom/charisma to cast a 4th level spell, for example.

However, the shugenja requires: "To cast a spell, a shugenja must have a Charisma score of 10 + the spell’s level + the shugenja’s Charisma modifier."

So, the higher my Charisma, the higher the modifier is, which means I will need a higher charisma to cast the spell. How do you play this?

If i have a Charisma of 12, I have a modifier of +1. So, i can cast a first level spell (10+1+1), but not a second (10+2+1) that every other spell caster could (10+2). If i raise my charisma to 14, I have a modifier of +2, which added to the base 10 already means I have 12 before the spell level, so i can only cast 2nd level spells, while all other casters are set for up to level 4.

Why does WOTC hate shugenja's so much?

Sir Swindle89
2010-12-08, 10:39 AM
I believe there was errata. If you look there are inconsistencies in the spells per day also. They screwed it up pretty good in comp arcane

true_shinken
2010-12-08, 10:41 AM
I believe there was errata. If you look there are inconsistencies in the spells per day also. They screwed it up pretty good in comp arcane

I don't think thet did. The shugenja was in complete divine, after all. :smallwink:

valadil
2010-12-08, 10:44 AM
I don't think thet did. The shugenja was in complete divine, after all. :smallwink:

They didn't even put it in the right book? Damn.

Psyren
2010-12-08, 10:53 AM
Eh? My Complete Divine has the correct text (Charisma score equal to 10 + spell level) on page 12. Nothing about the modifier until it gets to the Difficulty Class portion, as normal. Are you sure you're not misreading it, OP? :smallconfused:

Even the example is right ("Cha 10 for 0-level spells, Cha 11 for 1st-level spells, and so forth.")

Sir Swindle89
2010-12-08, 10:54 AM
I know, such fail.

D'oh my bad, I only ever use them to **** with DM's that say divine casters only.

GeminiVeil
2010-12-08, 11:57 AM
Eh? My Complete Divine has the correct text (Charisma score equal to 10 + spell level) on page 12. Nothing about the modifier until it gets to the Difficulty Class portion, as normal. Are you sure you're not misreading it, OP? :smallconfused:

Even the example is right ("Cha 10 for 0-level spells, Cha 11 for 1st-level spells, and so forth.")

The text the OP is referancing is on page 11, under the game rule information heading. Halfway through the Abilities section it does state as the OP mentioned about the Charisma thing. I wonder which section trumps which section in that instance? :smallsmile:

graeylin
2010-12-08, 12:00 PM
Yup, i was looking at page 11, i hadn't even seen the different text on page 12 yet..

And, what is messed up with the spells/day?

Psyren
2010-12-08, 12:16 PM
The text the OP is referancing is on page 11, under the game rule information heading. Halfway through the Abilities section it does state as the OP mentioned about the Charisma thing. I wonder which section trumps which section in that instance? :smallsmile:

The Page 11 section is titled "Abilities" while the Page 12 section is titled "Spells." Page 12 is more specific and therefore wins.

I agree it's silly editing though.

graeylin
2010-12-08, 12:36 PM
The Page 11 section is titled "Abilities" while the Page 12 section is titled "Spells." Page 12 is more specific and therefore wins.

I agree it's silly editing though.

just curious, why does "spells" have a higher hierarchy than "abilities"? I could make the arguement that because this has to do with the ability scores needed to cast spells, it should be that abilities has a higher standing, while stuff in "spells" would be higher only for spell effects, durations, etc..

Just wondering what your logic was in saying Spells>abilities...

Tiki Snakes
2010-12-08, 12:40 PM
just curious, why does "spells" have a higher hierarchy than "abilities"? I could make the arguement that because this has to do with the ability scores needed to cast spells, it should be that abilities has a higher standing, while stuff in "spells" would be higher only for spell effects, durations, etc..

Because the topic in question is Spells. Specifically which ones you can cast. I see the angle you are coming from, and though in some senses (especially just going by language) it's a valid way of looking at it, the general structure of the rules disagrees, as I understand it.

So, Abilities refers to all the things you get, whereas Spells refers just to the spellcasting ability. Neither topic is anything directly to do with ability scores.

Psyren
2010-12-08, 12:47 PM

All owls are birds.
Not all birds are owls.

All spells are abilities.
Not all abilities are spells.

Order of rules application: Specific > General.

graeylin
2010-12-08, 01:22 PM
All owls are birds.
Not all birds are owls.

All spells are abilities.
Not all abilities are spells.

Order of rules application: Specific > General.

Thanks, i can see your logic now...