PDA

View Full Version : A theory about Belkar and the Order

pinwiz
2010-12-08, 10:56 AM
When Belkar dies, he will be replaced in the order by Girard. Girard is a TWF, has good spells, and is a known ranger. I say he perfectly replaces Belkar in the Order.

so: is my theory Epic crazy, or just 10th level crazy?:smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2010-12-08, 11:01 AM
Girard's an illusionist with a dip into ranger, not to mention epic level. That makes about as much sense as saying Soon could replace Elan because they both use swords.

loser0ll
2010-12-08, 06:16 PM
An alternative theory - Belkar dies in the Arena, either at the hands of Haley's dad, or as a result of killing Haley's dad. He is replaced by... Haley's dad?

M.A.D
2010-12-08, 06:31 PM
An alternative theory - Belkar dies in the Arena, either at the hands of Haley's dad, or as a result of killing Haley's dad. He is replaced by... Haley's dad?

How does your second theory work?

loser0ll
2010-12-08, 06:37 PM
It's based on the theory that Haley's Dad can be assumed to have at least some competence if he's able to 'tone it down' in order to seem mediocre.

Of course, that wasn't the part I was really trying to sell. I'm not too concerned with who replaces Belkar - unless O'Chul takes the spot, it won't be awesome enough.

My focus was on the method of Belkar's death. The addition of "Who replaces him" was mostly just to keep it properly on topic.

KillItWithFire
2010-12-08, 07:13 PM
Belkar and topics don't seem to play nicely together...

As for Ian replacing Belkar I'd rather that didn't happen. For the first point, the order already has a rogue, second I really REALLY don't want to have to look at Ian for the rest of the series. Thirdly, we haven't really seen any of Ians combat abilities. We know he can dodge but unless he multiclassed all he has otherwise is sneak attack, and that's kinda Haleys thing. I'm all for replacing Belkar when he dies, just not with Ian. (A ranger who actually knew what the job is SUPPOSED to do would be nice.)

Gift Jeraff
2010-12-08, 08:17 PM
The only Belkar replacement I can see working--besides none at all--is Thog. He's kinda Belkar-like, different enough from Roy class-wise, Elan can sort of control him and convince Roy to let him join, if Elan starts to actually become less immature it'd be nice to have more childish stupidity, and so-on. However, I don't see it working because I'd rather Thog doesn't feel overused.

Yeah, I'm betting on no replacement.

Capt Spanner
2010-12-08, 08:43 PM
The entire of Dungeon Crawling Fools covers about three days. Similarly, the entire of War & XPs covers only a day or two.

Fact is that two weeks is plenty of time for the story to finish up and Belkar to die at the final gate along with (presumably) Xykon.

Jay R
2010-12-08, 09:28 PM
Is that all Belkar is? A race and a class? Another forgettable mix-and-match player character? If he dies will another ranger halfling just spring up to take his place?

HELL no! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0610.html\)

Belkar can only be replaced by a sexy shoeless god of war.

Zevox
2010-12-08, 10:45 PM
Belkar and topics don't seem to play nicely together...
Of course. Belkar doesn't play nicely with anything. Except Mr Scruffy.

Anyway, my thought: Belkar will not be replaced. We're more than halfway through the story now, you can't just replace one of the main heroes with some other character, especially one that hasn't been important for very long, and expect it to work well. Surely Rich is a better storyteller than to try something like that.

Zevox

Spirited Charge
2010-12-09, 12:08 AM

Anyway, my thought: Belkar will not be replaced. We're more than halfway through the story now, you can't just replace one of the main heroes with some other character, especially one that hasn't been important for very long, and expect it to work well. Surely Rich is a better storyteller than to try something like that.

Zevox

I agree. Although I could see a few new side characters coming in to help, it's hard to believe that any one of them would fit so well that they'd just join the quest which they've only just learned of.

Vladislav
2010-12-09, 12:14 AM
Enor kills Belkar. Roy kills Enor. Having lost his best friend, in order to find a new purpose in life, Ganji joins the order in lieu of Belkar.

Felixc-91
2010-12-09, 01:40 AM
replacing Belkar as a character/storyline motivated action makes no sense, he's the least developed character and not really central to the group... except that he still provides comic relief.
however, tactically, they need a replacement. they have been wading thru very tough situations on a regular basis and haven't really been strong enough, the exception being their clashes with the linear guild. they need the support.

factotum
2010-12-09, 02:58 AM
Girard's an illusionist with a dip into ranger, not to mention epic level. That makes about as much sense as saying Soon could replace Elan because they both use swords.

QFT. Besides, if Girard is still alive he's a very, very old man by now, which would be a bit of a problem for him considering he appeared to be heavily into melee combat with those swords of his...

Firemeier
2010-12-09, 03:16 AM
replacing Belkar as a character/storyline motivated action makes no sense, he's the least developed character

Yeah, I'm sick and tired of all that Durkon development, too. :smallbiggrin:

Granted, Belkar hasn't had an awful lot of character development but what little we have seen were some of the finest strips in the comic so far.

littlekKID
2010-12-09, 03:25 AM

Zevox

agree, I think that Belkar will die really near the end, in the final battle or near him.

Felixc-91
2010-12-09, 03:31 AM
Yeah, I'm sick and tired of all that Durkon development, too. :smallbiggrin:

Granted, Belkar hasn't had an awful lot of character development but what little we have seen were some of the finest strips in the comic so far. yes, i agree with your statements about Belkar's development. it is excellent development. but its just a shuffle forward. Durkon on the other hand... doesn't really qualify as a character, he's a stereotype box of band-aids. his only 2 glimmers of character are his apology to V (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0667.html) at the end of don't split the party and a toss up between his loss of temper over the Banjo/conversion of ork tribe (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0561.html) incident and his speech (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0444.html) to Haley after Roy's death.
Edit: i draw your attention to this strip: 602 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0602.html)

Felixc-91
2010-12-09, 03:37 AM
agree, I think that Belkar will die really near the end, in the final battle or near him.idk, foreshadowing indicates his death will be in the arena

did NO ONE see the forshadowing in strip 736 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0736.html), no one? seriusly, panels 6 and 7, then the last panel. seen renforced in strip 750 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0750.html) and sort of in 744 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0744.html) and 745 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0745.html)...

littlekKID
2010-12-09, 03:55 AM
idk, foreshadowing indicates his death will be in the arena

Ummm, I gusses you're right, I never noticed that (I'm stupid). I still think he's going to be killed near the end, I just don't think one of the main heros need to die befoe the final battle (I used to think that Belkar's death will be that way that Elan will get that his father is evil, but he got it before it, and T seen to becoming more of an ally now)

Firemeier
2010-12-09, 04:28 AM
Durkon on the other hand... doesn't really qualify as a character, he's a stereotype box of band-aids.

True. I suspect his moment to shine will come when the story turns to Kraagor's gate in the dwarven homelands, what with his posthumous return and all...

agree, I think that Belkar will die really near the end, in the final battle or near him.

But announcing the death of a major character and not going through with it until the very end, wouldn't that feel a little like a cop out? I mean, I don't exactly expect him to die any moment now and I certainly hope he won't be lost to the strip altogether but if I had to guess, I'd say that he will die somewhere between now and the beginning of the last book.

And for the foreshadowing: We can't be sure at this moment, if the linked strips were really foreshadowing. For all we know it could just as well be a harmless play on common gladiator tropes. And frankly, I don't see him die in a regularly scheduled match. IF he dies in the arena, his death will likely have a dramatic impact on the main story.

littlekKID
2010-12-09, 04:56 AM
And frankly, I don't see him die in a regularly scheduled match. IF he dies in the arena, his death will likely have a dramatic impact on the main story.
yeah, that's what I meant (I'm just REALLY bad at expressing this, does someone have a hat of shame I can wear?)
:smallfrown:

Felixc-91
2010-12-09, 05:24 AM
And for the foreshadowing: We can't be sure at this moment, if the linked strips were really foreshadowing. For all we know it could just as well be a harmless play on common gladiator tropes. And frankly, I don't see him die in a regularly scheduled match. IF he dies in the arena, his death will likely have a dramatic impact on the main story.ok, true, a guarantee this ain't. but i think it should be taken seriusly. Rich has done foreshadowing before (see strip 189 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0189.html)). and its in 4 different strips. he will die to some namless mook... a hilarious anti climax which he could have seen coming from miles away if he had been paying the slightest bit of attention. if you'll notice its the same guy who rallies the other prisoners to try and knock him down a notch.

IndigoFenix
2010-12-11, 10:14 PM
I'm pretty sure Belkar won't "die" in the traditional sense - the Oracle seems to be going out of his way to avoid saying the word "die". Besides, he's way too popular to just be killed off.

I'm guessing he'll be turned into a some kind of crazy free-willed undead fighter. And probably have some fun with Tsukiko, if you know what I mean... :smallbiggrin:

blazingshadow
2010-12-12, 02:37 PM
maybe belkar will die and decide to help by threatening all the fiends to not bother V while in his quest? somebody has to fight those 3 guys or at least keep them out of the picture long enough so the order can have a chance of winning this

my vote goes to he dies, doesn't get replaced (if he does then i wish for a ninja replacement) and belkar gets his own adventure trying to pwn the fire below which we will only see when the author needs some time to think up the rest of the story for the gates

Kish
2010-12-12, 02:40 PM
Rich has known how the comic will end for most of its run. He's not going to need time to think up the rest of the story for the gates.

ThePhantasm
2010-12-12, 03:38 PM
How about Belkar dies and no one replaces him?

No, on second thought, that sounds too far fetched.

squiremarcus
2010-12-12, 04:50 PM
True. I suspect his moment to shine will come when the story turns to Kraagor's gate in the dwarven homelands, what with his posthumous return and all...

and the posthumous return could really just be saying after belkar's death, or any character's death really.

3SecondCultist
2010-12-12, 04:58 PM
I'm sorry, but this is D&D. So what, someone dies. Didn't Roy die already? :smallconfused:

Kish
2010-12-12, 05:17 PM
I'm sorry, but this is D&D. So what, someone dies. Didn't Roy die already? :smallconfused:
Roy died in the absence of 1) a prophecy that said he would draw his last breath ever and wasn't long for the world, and 2) the rest of his adventuring party having expressed a desire for him to be dead and gone.

bertoltus
2010-12-12, 06:59 PM
I'm pretty sure he will be killed by a kobold related to Yikyik. It would just make sense, considering all those other plotlines that revolve around avenging the death of a loved one and yikyik's family already being after him.

IronWilliam
2010-12-12, 07:17 PM
He might not die. The oracle just said he would "draw his last breath." He could become an intelligent undead, or stop breathing for some other reason?

Kish
2010-12-13, 06:55 AM
He might not die. The oracle just said he would "draw his last breath."
And that he needn't bother funding his IRA, should savor his next birthday cake, and isn't long for the world.

Clearly, he's going to become a tax-evading vampire in another world where they make cakes out of garlic.