PDA

View Full Version : Cold Iron court of Fey

the clumsy bard
2010-12-08, 01:10 PM
Ok here is my problem... errr maybe not problem, but issue. In any case I have been wondering a few things and would like to know if anyone has any idea how to go about this.

My idea is for an upcoming character. He will be a feytouched artificer or enchanter (The choice of class is dependant on my dm, he can be a stickler)

In any case the main idea behind the character will be that he is interested in his fey heritage and while seeking it out early on is made to look like a fool by a member of the seelie court. Obviously after being slighted he will be angry, but then decide to create his own "seelie court" so to speak.

Not writing all the details of the background (Not overly important for my questions and issues)

1) How do you adjust cost for creating golems / effigies / homunuculi with cold iron.

2) is there a way other then awaken construct to give constructs intelligence and therefore skills/feats. Leading to possible class levels for the constructs.

3) Can you example: create a nymph effigy and somehow do something to give the character the supernatural abilities the creature would have normally such as stunning glance or unearthly grace?

Thanks for any comments and suggestions in advance.

Game hasn't started yet and its more something I would like to orchestrate over a period of time. Therefore if your suggestion takes really long and is very convoluted, please don't hesitate to post. When there's time there's a way!

Urpriest
2010-12-08, 01:18 PM
Incarnate Construct (Savage Species, possibly Spell Compendium) lets you turn a Construct into a physically similar Giant/Humanoid. You don't get its old supernatural abilities though.

RaveingRonin
2010-12-08, 01:29 PM
The supernatural effects can be replicated with spells/magic items. By implanting the magical item (let's say...a set of ruby lenses that replicate Stunning Beauty) into the golem before using the Awaken Construct spell from Spell Compendium, you could make a reasonable case to the DM that the humanoid creature would be gifted with the same ability/SLA.
Also, for cold Iron http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialmaterials.htm
see that page. In short, double the cost and add 2,000 gp for making the golem.

Urpriest
2010-12-08, 01:33 PM
\
Also, for cold Iron http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialmaterials.htm
see that page. In short, double the cost and add 2,000 gp for making the golem.

I see rules for Cold Iron weapons there, not other objects. Where are the rules you're quoting?

RaveingRonin
2010-12-09, 10:16 AM
Not quoting, really just using the weapon manufacturing rules as a guideline. It costs twice as much for a weapon, x1.5 for one half of a double weapon, so reasonably it would also cost twice as much for a object made of cold iron.

Reaper_Monkey
2010-12-09, 10:31 AM
decide to create his own "seelie court" so to speak.

I really like this idea, it seems a very good motivation for a villain/major NPC and adds some interesting new twists to familiar tropes. I'm not sure I can help with how to do this under RAW, but I'm totally stealing this and handwaving how its done for my game :smallbiggrin:, thanks!

Eldan
2010-12-09, 01:02 PM
Not quoting, really just using the weapon manufacturing rules as a guideline. It costs twice as much for a weapon, x1.5 for one half of a double weapon, so reasonably it would also cost twice as much for a object made of cold iron.

That should not be the entire creation cost for the construct, though... I'd imagine most of that would be magical ingredients to awake in .

How about just giving them cold iron slams (or other natural attacks) and using the cost of a melee weapon of their size?

Malbordeus
2010-12-09, 01:16 PM
enchanting an item made of cold iron costs an extra 2000gp over the magic costs. but if you make something like an iron golem, the extra 2000 isnt that expensive... but paying double for the main body might be a bit of a stretch.