PDA

View Full Version : Using a feat more than 1/day

BenTheJester
2010-12-08, 01:54 PM
I'm looking for ways to use Sudden Silent and Sudden Still more than once per day, are there any feat(or other mean) that would allow me to do that?

If not, are there any other way to cast spells without somatic/verbal component(other than Still and Silent spell, obviously)?

WarKitty
2010-12-08, 01:55 PM
Metamagic rods?

Flickerdart
2010-12-08, 01:59 PM
Quickened spells are still and silent. :smallbiggrin:

Can you take those feats more than once? That would work, even if it's a little cost-prohibitive.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-12-08, 02:15 PM
Quickened spells are still and silent. :smallbiggrin:
Where does it say that?

Can you take those feats more than once?
Only if it says so in their description.

Flickerdart
2010-12-08, 02:23 PM
I'm AFB, but I seem to recall the PHB saying something along the lines of Quickened spells being cast "in an instant", which precludes any sort of components (because what movement or sounds are you going to make in an instant?). Even Sudden Quicken says you cast the spell "with a moment's thought".

Sir Swindle89
2010-12-08, 02:48 PM
Quicken Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit
Casting a quickened spell is an swift action. You can perform another action, even casting another spell, in the same round as you cast a quickened spell. You may cast only one quickened spell per round. A spell whose casting time is more than 1 full round action cannot be quickened. A quickened spell uses up a spell slot four levels higher than the spell’s actual level. Casting a quickened spell doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity.

Special
This feat can’t be applied to any spell cast spontaneously (including sorcerer spells, bard spells, and cleric or druid spells cast spontaneously), since applying a metamagic feat to a spontaneously cast spell automatically increases the casting time to a full-round action.

Nothing about not requireing verbal or somatic components. granted the gesture and incantation is probably very brief and complex but they are required per the rules.

Psyren
2010-12-08, 02:52 PM
I'm AFB, but I seem to recall the PHB saying something along the lines of Quickened spells being cast "in an instant", which precludes any sort of components (because what movement or sounds are you going to make in an instant?). Even Sudden Quicken says you cast the spell "with a moment's thought".

The "in an instant" stuff means that you do it so fast you don't provoke an AoO. You still have to make some kind of sound or gesture though, so Quicken can't get around being bound and gagged for instance.

kestrel404
2010-12-08, 02:55 PM
Play a psion. Then all your 'spells' are still and silent.

Ernir
2010-12-08, 02:58 PM
Residual Magic should give an extra use. It's a feat from Complete Mage. Extremely powerful.

EDIT: But yeah, Psion is where it's at if you want to get around components...

Baveboi
2010-12-08, 03:06 PM
There are some classes and feats out there that let you use spells with silent and still metamagic always applied.
Daggerspell Mage, I think, is one such class. And you can always hide the daggers using tricks (like the ones found on Complete Scoundrel).

One feat, that I know isn't allowed (more because it's ridiculously unknown), but that is my personal favourite is Non Verbal Spell.
It's a metamagic feat that doesn't alter the spell level. It changes the Verbal component for anything else, any kind of sound or words. So you could scream "Can't touch this!" while casting Displacement or Blink. The amount of lulz I got with this one had no end.

Godskook
2010-12-08, 03:09 PM
Are you familiar with the non-sudden metamagic feats? /sarcasm

Seriously, though, I don't like "sudden" metamagic cause if you figure out a way of getting a reasonable number of uses/day, it becomes a way to stealth-boost metamagic. And if you can't get more than 1/day, they're *really* bad feats, imho.

And in my campaigns, where I houserule that most forms of metamagic can't be used unless you are capable of casting the spell without metamagic. The 2 major exceptions to this rule are the sudden-feats and the MM-Rods. So in my game, if someone asked to improve the sudden feats, I'd tell them no. Being able to bypass the metamagic cap 1/day is good enough.

HunterOfJello
2010-12-08, 03:11 PM
Taking levels in the Recaster PrC (Races of Eberron) gives you class level per day Sudden metamagic uses for your choice of Empower, Enlarge, Extend, Maximize Spell, or Widen. At 2nd you get one of those and at 4th you get to choose another.

1st level gives you 1/day Sudden Silent or Still spell equivalent. 3rd level gives you 1/day Sudden Quicken. And 5th level gives you a Sudden change in the shape of the spell, which you have to look at the class info to see all the complexities of.

The class also gives you Expanded Knowledge twice and 4/5 spellcasting progression.

~

Wow, I'm tempted to create a recaster wizard now. The only requirement that could be considered a detriment is that you have to play a Changeling. However, I've always liked the Changeling substitution levels.

LibraryOgre
2010-12-08, 03:44 PM
I allow a feat that gives you more uses of these, but it is as, as they say, cost-intensive.

true_shinken
2010-12-08, 03:57 PM
Action points allow you to use x/day abilities more often.

thubby
2010-12-08, 04:02 PM
I'm looking for ways to use Sudden Silent and Sudden Still more than once per day, are there any feat(or other mean) that would allow me to do that?

If not, are there any other way to cast spells without somatic/verbal component(other than Still and Silent spell, obviously)?

some spells just dont have one of those. suggestion has no somatic component, for example.

BeholderSlayer
2010-12-08, 04:10 PM
Action points allow you to use x/day abilities more often.

This. Combine action points with Unfettered Heroism for cheesy flavor.