PDA

View Full Version : Where does Xykon go when he "leaves and learns a new trick"?

alternaloser
2010-12-08, 03:38 PM
It's referenced here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0704.html that he disappears somewhere and comes back knowing a new trick. Do you suppose that's just essentially a way of roleplaying a "level up" or is he contacting some other plane or being? This has probably been asked already but I couldn't find a thread about it.

Leecros
2010-12-08, 03:51 PM
everytime he leaves he discovers another way to kill people in a very humorous way...

(we don't know exactly outside of specuatlion)

alternaloser
2010-12-08, 03:52 PM
everytime he leaves he discovers another way to kill people in a very humorous way...

So he's discovered the Codex of Infinite Malicious Pranks?

Innis Cabal
2010-12-08, 03:56 PM

That's not what was said. He may be coming back with a magic item for all we know.

Outsidelime
2010-12-08, 04:01 PM
It's referenced here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0704.html that he disappears somewhere and comes back knowing a new trick. Do you suppose that's just essentially a way of roleplaying a "level up" or is he contacting some other plane or being? This has probably been asked already but I couldn't find a thread about it.

I think he went to see the Oracle. As seen in this cutaway during Durkon's chat with Malack (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0737.html). Nobody's with him, so perhaps he didn't want anyone to know about the visit. Redcloak's just guessing.

~J

Ender Wigin
2010-12-08, 04:01 PM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/oots0737.html) is where he goes. Looks like he an't gonna learn a new spell, get an item, or whatever trick you guys are talking about any time soon.

So what do I win?

Ach, came in a little too late on that post.

...I still win somthing, right?

mr man
2010-12-08, 04:28 PM
i goes to talk to his future self but he douse not tell him everything that important
because he likes messing with himself

his future self has an even more bad ass crown

Chaos rising
2010-12-08, 04:35 PM
It is strongly implied that he goes to gather information. When he leaves in start of darkness he returns knowing where the next gates are, and when he left this time, he went to see the oracle (presumably to ask about his phylactery.)

TreesOfDeath
2010-12-08, 04:44 PM
Oracle seems likely

alternaloser
2010-12-08, 04:49 PM
I think he went to see the Oracle. As seen in this cutaway during Durkon's chat with Malack (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0737.html). Nobody's with him, so perhaps he didn't want anyone to know about the visit. Redcloak's just guessing.

~J

That actually makes a LOT of sense. I guess I never really made that connection.

alternaloser
2010-12-08, 04:50 PM
It is strongly implied that he goes to gather information. When he leaves in start of darkness he returns knowing where the next gates are, and when he left this time, he went to see the oracle (presumably to ask about his phylactery.)

That also makes sense, I guess he just goes on fact-finding missions which again implies he's not as stupid as he acts.

Leecros
2010-12-08, 05:05 PM
That actually makes a LOT of sense. I guess I never really made that connection.

i agree, i didn't make the connection either :smallredface:

Da'Shain
2010-12-08, 07:40 PM
That also makes sense, I guess he just goes on fact-finding missions which again implies he's not as stupid as he acts.Indeed. He's just lazy. But when he's actually motivated to do something, he seems very competent at getting whatever it is accomplished.

Heksefatter
2010-12-09, 05:59 AM
i agree, i didn't make the connection either :smallredface:

Me neither. Makes sense. :smallredface::smallredface:

Deliverance
2010-12-09, 06:44 AM
Indeed. He's just lazy. But when he's actually motivated to do something, he seems very competent at getting whatever it is accomplished.
And taking the time required - as a lich, he has the time needed, but that doesn't by itselfy imply that he would have the willpower to stay devoted to the task - yet he does. Lazy and easily distractible he may seem, but he appears capable of sticking to his plan for however long it takes.

In SoD he is gone for years before he returns with the information he has been seeking, in Azure city's case rather shorter time. Sometimes the trick he returns with is the result of a shopping trip like the acquisition of Teevo.

Generally speaking, all the incidents we know about have been going temporarily offstage in order to acquire something to plot-advancing. :smallbiggrin:

Prowl
2010-12-09, 11:07 AM
Where does Xykon go when he "leaves and learns a new trick"?

To borrow an old joke, "Wherever he wants"

Ender Wigin
2010-12-09, 04:08 PM
Where does Xykon go when he "leaves and learns a new trick"?
I never realy thought about this at all until I saw this thread and imediatly knew the awnser. I didn't even think about why Xlyon was at the oricles place that much.

Wonder what he needs to know now, and if he hasn't already gotten it...

megabyter5
2010-12-09, 10:45 PM
Here's a bit of fridge logic about that panel of Xykon at the Oracle's: If you don't get to see the Oracle, and leave the valley, wouldn't the memory charm make you think you hadn't even gone yet? What's to stop someone from mistakenly going in and out of the valley a zillion times over without realizing they'd already gone?

blazingshadow
2010-12-10, 02:11 AM
the ones who visit the oracle remember meeting him and remember the answers to the questions they were going to ask him

edit: i had always wondered where else does he go to learn new tricks or get new toys. the oracle shouldn't be the only place he goes for info. also does he wear a disguise when he goes out doing all this? i mean it's not like ppl don't notice that he is a lich and many might even recognize him and tell the good guys.

did xykon come back from the trip or is he still in the oracle's house?

LtNOWIS
2010-12-10, 09:45 AM
Here's a bit of fridge logic about that panel of Xykon at the Oracle's: If you don't get to see the Oracle, and leave the valley, wouldn't the memory charm make you think you hadn't even gone yet? What's to stop someone from mistakenly going in and out of the valley a zillion times over without realizing they'd already gone?

You figure it out when you get turned around (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0570.html).

As for Xykon, we know he spends a lot of time crafting magic items and the like. Presumably he would need to get components?

rewinn
2010-12-10, 01:46 PM
... i had always wondered where else does he go to learn new tricks or get new toys. the oracle shouldn't be the only place he goes for infoPerhaps the Erfworld's Magic Kingdom ? :smallwink:
also does he wear a disguise when he goes out doing all this? i mean it's not like ppl don't notice that he is a lich and many might even recognize him and tell the good guys.
xykon has ways of ensuring people who see him don't tell anybody

JoeSkull
2010-12-11, 01:09 AM
xykon has ways of ensuring people who see him don't tell anybody
or, you know, teleporting...

Raging Gene Ray
2010-12-11, 02:39 AM
"Learning a new trick" doesn't have to mean leveling up or even acquiring a new power, but a new way of applying powers who already has.

Maybe he just holes himself up somewhere with TiVo and watches movies or goes on a vacation until inspiration strikes - :xykon: HEY! What if I put Symbol of Death - no, Symbol of INSANITY on one of those superballs and throw it into a crowd! Genius! I gotta show that pansy Redcloak!

Later...

:xykon: Hey, Redcloak, see that goblin village?
:redcloak::smallconfused: Yes...
:xykon: It's gonna be a zombie village in a few minutes! (Throws ball, casts Hold Monster on RC) Yeah...I'm making you watch this.
:redcloak: :smallfrown: (Cries inside for the rest of his existence. How sad.)