PDA

View Full Version : "What, it's not like it has eyes in the back of its head." [Template]

Icewalker
2010-12-08, 05:43 PM
"What, it's not like it has eyes in the back of its head."
-The last words of Mivcit, halfling rogue, sneaking behind Drezac's black dragon watchdog.

Drezac's Watchdog

The wizard Drezac was well known for his experiments throughout his lifetime. First honored, later more reviled, nobody debated the fact that he was a genius when it came to the creation, design, and modification, of living beings.

One of his particularly well known experiments occurred due to the mage's growing paranoia as he moved into middle age, more and more sure that others were out to steal his work, or to kill him for it, fears which were perhaps not entirely unfounded. After moving, alone, to a tower in the middle of a swamp a few miles from his old city home, his next success were his 'watchdogs'.

Creating a Watchdog
"Watchdog" is an acquired template that can be added to any corporeal creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature). Watchdogs are almost always made from creatures who have natural weapons, or special attacks.

Watchdogs appear largely like they did before being changed into such a creature. Physically, the only visible difference is an extra pair of small slitted eyes in the back of the head. Sometimes, there are additional eyes as well in other places, such as the shoulders, or sides, or sometimes the chest or back. The main change in a Watchdog is its demeanor: Until alarmed, Watchdogs stand limp and passive, seemingly unalert, however this is only due to the fact that they with their extra eyes, they can scan their entire surroundings without moving their bodies. Once alarmed, a Watchdog will abruptly become aggressive and wild, calling an alarm and attacking whatever trespasser it detects, until commanded to stop by its master.

Size and Type:
The creature's type changes to aberration. Size is unchanged. Do not recalculate hit dice, base attack bonus or saves.

Special Attacks:
A watchdog retains all the special attacks of the base creature and also gains the following special abilities.

Alarm Howl (Ex): When a Watchdog becomes aware of an unauthorized creature passing nearby, it generally begins to howl. Starting to howl is a free action, and can be continued for a number of rounds equal to the Watchdog's Constitution bonus, minimum one. All creatures within 100 feet suffer the full brunt of the howling, and suffer a -4 penalty on attack rolls, skill checks, and ability checks, for as long as they remain within the area and for 5 minutes afterwards. Additionally, every round, all creatures within 100 feet of the Watchdog must make a Fortitude save or be permanently deafened. Regardless of this save, the howling drowns out regular sounds, and all within the area are treated as deafened for the duration of the howling, even if they would be immune to such a condition. The save DC is Constitution based.

Special Qualities:
A Watchdog has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following special qualities.

Darkvision 60 ft.
Low-Light Vision
Lifesense 60 ft.
Tremorsense 30 ft.
Blindsight 30 ft.

Lifesense (Su):
A Watchdog notices and locates living creatures within 60 feet, just as if it possessed the blindsight ability.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex):
A Watchdog retains its Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if it is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, it still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. Watchdogs cannot be flanked. This defense denies rogues (or classes with similar abilities) the ability to sneak attack the Watchdog by flanking it, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the Watchdog has hit dice.

A Watchdog cannot make a Reflex save to cover its eyes against gaze attacks.

With their minimal intelligence, Watchdogs are effectively animals. They are commanded by their masters using the Handle Animal skill, and will respond to nobody except their creator and those their creator designates as their master, however a creature unknown to the Watchdog can calm it if it succeeds on a Handle Animal check to do so, DC 25 + the Watchdog's HD. Generally, Watchdogs know the tricks Attack, Defend, Down, and Guard.

Abilities:
Watchdogs have +2 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, and -2 Charisma, modified from the base creature's ability scores. All Watchdogs have an Intelligence of 2.

Skills:
Watchdogs have a +8 Racial bonus to Spot and Listen checks. Otherwise the same as the base creature.

Feats:
Watchdogs retain all feats of the base creature that they still meet the prerequisites for, and gain Improved Initiative and Alertness as bonus feats.

Alignment:
Always Neutral

Challenge Rating:
Same as the base creature +1.

[hr]
Lizardfolk Watchdog

Lizardfolk Watchdog
Medium Aberration (Reptilian)
HD 2d8+6 (15 HP)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Init: +5
AC 16; touch 11; flat-footed 15
(+5 Natural, +1 Dex)
BAB +1; Grp +2
Attack Claw +2 melee (1d4+1)
Full-Attack 2 Claws +2 melee (1d4+1) and bite +0 melee (1d4)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Alarm Howl
Special Qualities Hold Breath, Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light Vision, Lifesense 60 ft, Tremorsense 30 ft, Blindsight 30 ft, Improved Uncanny Dodge
Saves Fort +3 Ref +3 Will +0
Abilities Str 13, Dex 12, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills Balance +4, Jump +5, Listen +10, Spot +10, Swim +2
Feats Multiattack, Improved Initiative (B), Alertness (B)
Challenge Rating 2
Alignment Neutral

The six and a half foot tall dull gray humanoid lizard stands listlessly. Large claws hang limp at its sides. However, despite the apparently inactive nature of its body, the two vertical pupiled eyes deepset into its head are darting back and forth incredibly quickly, as is the small slit of an eye in the center of its left shoulder.

Alarm Howl (Ex): When a Watchdog becomes aware of an unauthorized creature passing nearby, it generally begins to howl. Starting to howl is a free action, and can be continued for a number of rounds equal to the Watchdog's Constitution bonus, minimum one. All creatures within 100 feet suffer the full brunt of the howling, and suffer a -4 penalty on attack rolls, skill checks, and ability checks, for as long as they remain within the area and for 5 minutes afterwards. Additionally, every round, all creatures within 100 feet of the Watchdog must make a DC 14 Fortitude save or be permanently deafened. Regardless of this save, the howling drowns out regular sounds, and all within the area are treated as deafened for the duration of the howling, even if they would be immune to such a condition. The save DC is Constitution based.

Hold Breath (Ex):
A lizardfolk can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to four times its Constitution score before it risks drowning.

Lifesense (Su):
A Watchdog notices and locates living creatures within 60 feet, just as if it possessed the blindsight ability.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex):
A Watchdog retains its Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if it is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, it still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. Watchdogs cannot be flanked. This defense denies rogues (or classes with similar abilities) the ability to sneak attack the Watchdog by flanking it, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the Watchdog has hit dice.

[hr]
I have not done homebrew in far too long, especially on the small scale! I have decided to return and start doing so again. Specifically, seeing as it is winter break and I have time, I'm going to start putting something up every day, for now. I'm probably going to use Drezac occasionally, not just as a one time thing.

I'm saying CR +1. Thoughts?

I'm probably forgetting something, but ah well. I'm sure you'll notice it, whatever it is.

Kilbourne
2010-12-08, 08:16 PM
Very interesting, I like this. You've done a good job of balancing power (seeing everything!) to a limited intelligence (can be fooled!).

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-08, 08:24 PM
The Special Qualities:
A half-celestial has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following special qualities.

Darkvision 60 ft.
Low-Light Vision
Lifesense 60 ft.
Tremorsense 30 ft.
Blindsight 30 ft.

Mhmmm, mistake?

Icewalker
2010-12-09, 12:09 AM
:smalleek:

Wop. Fixing. As I often do on this kind of thing, I copied bits of text so that the formatting is standardized to the same phrasing as WotC stuff. But it tends to lead to exactly that mistake.