PDA

View Full Version : Winter Weather in the Playground

zeratul
2010-12-08, 06:23 PM
Well as it's been snowing for something like 107 hours straight (give or take) here in Syracuse New York, and with everything outside looking like this (http://photos.syracuse.com/post-standard/2010/12/early_december_snow_10.html?fromentry=5378286&fromblog=978), it seemed like an appropriate time to start a winter weather thread. So Playground, have any other folks been getting a good amount of snow ,sleet, squalls or school closings yet?

Emperor Ing
2010-12-08, 06:26 PM
Lucky. :smallfrown:

thubby
2010-12-08, 06:38 PM
Well as it's been snowing for something like 107 hours straight (give or take) here in Syracuse New York, and with everything outside looking like this (http://photos.syracuse.com/post-standard/2010/12/early_december_snow_10.html?fromentry=5378286&fromblog=978), it seemed like an appropriate time to start a winter weather thread. So Playground, have any other folks been getting a good amount of snow ,sleet, squalls or school closings yet?

first hate, envious hate :smallfurious:

second, not yet. one state south we've got a month or 2 more before we get snow of any consequence.

arguskos
2010-12-08, 06:49 PM
We, here in Columbus, OH, have had around a week of snow thus far, but it hasn't been serious snow or anything. Just some flurries and whatnot. I want that sorta snow though. Love that stuff.

Icewalker
2010-12-08, 07:20 PM
Raaaaaaain. Bay area. Just wet.

Obrysii
2010-12-08, 07:24 PM
It's 15 degrees F out in Madison WI right now.

Snow and cold = bad for cars, but it's nice to cuddle up in a blanket and relax.

Ragitsu
2010-12-08, 07:24 PM
You guys have so many more inches than I.

That's it: I officially have snow envy.

Keld Denar
2010-12-08, 07:25 PM
Relevant recent threads...

Crappy Seattle weather. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177066)

I has a snowboard and other short stories. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177494)

EDIT:
Yea LordShotGun VV, I heard last night that Seattle has actually been having better December weather than most of Florida. HA HA!

PS, we still have mountains and you don't!

LordShotGun
2010-12-08, 07:26 PM
You guys can keep your snow. I moved to flordia to get outta the cold but NOOOOOOOO its getting into the 30s each night :smallfrown:

fimzo
2010-12-08, 07:27 PM
Being in Minnesota, I'm envying the people who haven't had snow yet. It's fine when you're inside with the window closed, but walking six blocks in <20 degree (Fahrenheit) weather changes your view considerably. And just in mid-to-late August, we were in the mid/upper 90's!

Remmirath
2010-12-08, 08:53 PM
I haven't liked snow nearly so much ever since I've had to shovel it and drive in it, but it still looks nice and all, so I'm still looking forward to when we have more of it on the ground.

It's been quite cold here in Michigan (it's about 20 degrees Fahrenheit right now), and the forecast claims it will snow in some way every day for the rest of the week, but as of yet we've only had one pretty wimpy snowfall on the 1st.

2010-12-08, 08:59 PM
Started snowing here in Michigan, and I hate it. It's just so cold, and wet, and hurts my eyes. I just don't like it. Although nothing like sledding down a hill with about three guys going down one sled. So fun...

ScottishDragon
2010-12-08, 09:05 PM
Bah wish it would snow where I live.Too hot here in CA :smallfrown:

Ranger Mattos
2010-12-08, 09:16 PM
I'm surprised we haven't gotten our usual 2 feet of snow by now. We've seriously gotten 1.5 inches. :smallannoyed: This is seriously the least-snowy December I remember.

It's 15 degrees F out in Madison WI right now.

Snow and cold = bad for cars, but it's nice to cuddle up in a blanket and relax.

It's currently 10 degrees out by Milwaukee and I've got no problem with a t-shirt and jeans.

THAC0
2010-12-08, 09:32 PM
We have less snow than we should, but still plenty for snowsports.

We're planning a snowshoeing trip around Christmas, followed directly by some snowmachining and xcountry skiing. :smallbiggrin:

Dvandemon
2010-12-08, 09:55 PM
It's been really foggy in the morning, you could stare directly at the sun. I experienced snow once in my whole life and that was Lake Tahoe

Eldan
2010-12-09, 07:28 AM
We have Swiss Weather (tm). Which means it's wet.

When I got up this morning at around six, nearly 15 cm of snow had fallen overnight. By 11am, it was all gone, save for a bit of grey, mud-like substance. That's pretty usual around here.

Level8Mudcrab
2010-12-09, 07:49 AM
Being in Australia, it's summer. Anyone want to swap weather? :smalltongue:

fimzo
2010-12-09, 10:31 PM
Being in Australia, it's summer. Anyone want to swap weather? :smalltongue:

I will! Just hope you don't mind early snowfall in late October.

KenderWizard
2010-12-10, 07:24 AM
We've been having freak weather conditions in Dublin. Usual November and December (read: any month) conditions are rain, with some colder rain, and some sunshine mixed with scattered rain showers.

But this year, for the first time since records began, we've had snow in November and early December! Like, proper snow. Six or eight inches of it. It's also the first time since records began that we've had snowy weather twice in one year, because we had similar weather last January.

It's pretty entertaining, because we have almost no capacity to deal with anything except rain and light sunshine. Snow, sleet, ice - it just shuts the country down. My university shut down for two days last week, along with pretty much everything else: the postal system, many shops, all schools... I'm betting a lot of people here live in places where six inches of snow wouldn't even count as a minor inconvenience.

It's supposed to be thawing, but it's still unusually cold, so there's a layer of two or three inches of ice on many pavements and such, it's quite difficult to get about. They're saying it might not all thaw before we get MORE snow. All bets are off!

pffh
2010-12-10, 07:27 AM
Why people WANT snow I will never understand. I hate it and luckily we've had only a small amount of it this winter (it's still bloody cold and the streets are frozen).

Azuyomi244
2010-12-10, 07:35 AM
Yeah, I live in a place where getting six inches of snow a year is a CRAZY large amount. Its 10 degrees outside, but it's dry.

I have snow envy :furious:

Asta Kask
2010-12-10, 08:03 AM
-6 degrees (Celsius) and snow. The cat is most upset - how is he supposed to patrol his territory with all this... white (disgust)... wet (disgust) everywhere?

Eldan
2010-12-10, 10:09 AM
I'm betting a lot of people here live in places where six inches of snow wouldn't even count as a minor inconvenience.

Heh. You're right on that one. Six inches barely counts as "now I need my shoes that go past the ankle" territory. A little more, and they actually send out people to salt and plow the streets.

Elfin
2010-12-10, 10:44 AM
Here in San Francisco? Fog. Rain. Some more fog.
Gods, I love winter. :smallsmile:

Spiryt
2010-12-10, 10:50 AM
About a week ago there was - 15 Celcius at nights, tons of snow, and when strong wind began to blow, it was terrifyingly cold. Deep winter, even though it's still autumn, technically.

Few days ago, temperature went up to + 12 Celcius, and almost all snow melted away into a bit depressing pulp.

Now it's - 4 again, snow starts falling... All in a span of a week. :smalleek:

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-10, 10:55 AM
It's fecking freezing here, and there's been some awful wind that makes it even colder. No snow though. Some ice. It looks grey enough to snow if it wanted to.

Castaras
2010-12-10, 10:57 AM
you're late. We've already had our share of snow in this part of Britain. :smalltongue: coming back from the UKitp meetup, I saw *gasp* Green! Instead of Snow! It all disappeared while I was in Sheffield! D:

Gullara
2010-12-10, 10:57 AM
Everybody who wants snow please come here and take mine. There's more than enough to go around.:smallyuk:

Mathis
2010-12-10, 10:59 AM
Trondheim, Norway. We've had snown since, oh early November. It's currently snowing so thickly that it looks like a massive block of fog rolled in and turned into snowflakes. I also woke up to 10 inches of newly fallen snow blocking my front door this morning. I couldnt help but ut on Dean Martin's Let it Snow and just stare out of the window for 5 minutes.

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-10, 12:31 PM
And now it is snowing!

KerfuffleMach2
2010-12-10, 11:40 PM
I haven't liked snow nearly so much ever since I've had to shovel it and drive in it, but it still looks nice and all, so I'm still looking forward to when we have more of it on the ground.

It's been quite cold here in Michigan (it's about 20 degrees Fahrenheit right now), and the forecast claims it will snow in some way every day for the rest of the week, but as of yet we've only had one pretty wimpy snowfall on the 1st.

Ah, good old Michigan. Where weather never makes up its mind.

Seriously. There can be huge changes in a matter of a week.

Personally, I love the snow, and I don't get bothered by the cold. I haven't even worn a coat yet.

Asthix
2010-12-11, 02:45 AM
Now we're getting a foot to go on top of our other foot. Plus, 0 degrees for the hi Sunday and Monday!

Remmirath
2010-12-11, 03:58 AM
Ah, good old Michigan. Where weather never makes up its mind.

Seriously. There can be huge changes in a matter of a week.

Personally, I love the snow, and I don't get bothered by the cold. I haven't even worn a coat yet.

Aye, that's the truth all right. It was 40 degrees and quite sunny today, and what very little snow we had has melted away. It's not that I want so much snow as to make it hard to drive, but... c'mon, Michigan, it's December already! You sometimes have this much snow two months ago. :smallannoyed:

I like the snow (when I don't have to drive very far in it), but my enjoyment of it is hampered by the fact that I get cold extremely easily.

Form
2010-12-11, 09:42 AM
We had quite a bit of snow a couple of days or a week ago, enough for making snowmen or having snowball fights.... although I didn't actually do any of that (shame on me, eh? :smalltongue:). It isn't snowing at the moment and the snow from before has molten away.

I know it makes me sound old, but I prefer as little snow as possible. It's always so cold and it messes up train transportation. Snow's only great if I don't have to go anywhere. :smallannoyed:

At least I didn't slip and fall. Yet.

Spiryt
2010-12-11, 10:24 AM
It's 'just' - 4 C (25 degrees for those condemned to Fahrenheit, yes?), but still and still, without pauses, cadaverous wind is blowing cold as ice....

At least 8 m/s constantly. :smalleek:

KerfuffleMach2
2010-12-11, 10:00 PM
Aye, that's the truth all right. It was 40 degrees and quite sunny today, and what very little snow we had has melted away. It's not that I want so much snow as to make it hard to drive, but... c'mon, Michigan, it's December already! You sometimes have this much snow two months ago. :smallannoyed:

I like the snow (when I don't have to drive very far in it), but my enjoyment of it is hampered by the fact that I get cold extremely easily.

It can snow anytime from October to May around here. Hundred percent honest on that one.

And I remember a couple years ago when we had a week of high 70's at Christmas time. Followed by a week of 20's and snow.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-12-11, 10:06 PM
We here in the Twin Cities now have almost 40 inches of snow so far for the year/season.

zeratul
2010-12-12, 09:44 AM
Apparently as of Friday Syracuse has gotten 48.5 inches this season. Meteorologists are saying there's gonna be another huge storm this week too, so It'll be interesting to see where the tally is by next Friday.

Yora
2010-12-12, 09:54 AM
I was about to say that it's heavily thawing around here. But seems it has started to snow again just now, maybe we have it all back by tomorrow.

fknm
2010-12-12, 10:01 AM
It's not even freezing where I'm at. It's cold, but not freezing.

I <3 Texas.

littlekKID
2010-12-12, 10:01 AM
there's no snow in isreal, but looks like winter FIANLLY got here :smalltongue:, it's mostly gloomy and rainy 'round here.:smallbiggrin:

Trog
2010-12-12, 12:17 PM
Well we just got a foot (30.5 cm) of snow here. Sustained winds of 25-35 mph (40-56 kmh) with 40 mph (64 kmh) gusts causing whiteout conditions. Wind chills of 20 to 30 below F (-29 to -34°C) this morning.

Guess who just got done shoveling the drive? :smalltongue:

Remmirath
2010-12-12, 06:11 PM
Well, we just got about half a foot of snow dumped on us today, and the snow hasn't let up yet. Further proof of Michigan's fickle weather. It was hard driving to the weekly game today, since they neglected to plow our street at all.

On the plus side, it looks really nice. :smallbiggrin:

Ranger Mattos
2010-12-12, 08:42 PM
Well we just got a foot (30.5 cm) of snow here. Sustained winds of 25-35 mph (40-56 kmh) with 40 mph (64 kmh) gusts causing whiteout conditions. Wind chills of 20 to 30 below F (-29 to -34°C) this morning.

Guess who just got done shoveling the drive? :smalltongue:

In my area of the Planet Wisconsin, we're getting less snow but more coldness, and the wind seems the same.

And my dad has to deliver bread at 3 in the morning in these conditions.

cho_j
2010-12-12, 09:36 PM
As a Californian "snow virgin" (to use my roommate's words), I was DELIGHTED to wake up this morning with several inches of snow outside my window in St. Louis, Missouri. Yay for winter! Christmas carols suddenly make sense!

Flickerdart
2010-12-12, 09:39 PM
As a Californian "snow virgin" (to use my roommate's words), I was DELIGHTED to wake up this morning with several inches of snow outside my window in St. Louis, Missouri. Yay for winter! Christmas carols suddenly make sense!
Give that snow back, it's ours.

Went outside today, it was raining. Only four days ago there was ridiculous amounts of snow. Winter is cancelled. :smallfrown:

Sneak
2010-12-12, 09:44 PM
It snowed a bit on Friday.

Today, it just rained all day. :smallfrown:

I'm hoping from some good snow this year, but unfortunately, I don't think anything can top last year's Snowpocalypse. No school for 11 days.

cho_j
2010-12-12, 10:11 PM
Give that snow back, it's ours.

Went outside today, it was raining. Only four days ago there was ridiculous amounts of snow. Winter is cancelled. :smallfrown:

Aw, that's terrible! If you'd like, I'll talk to the weather gods who apparently very kindly answered my wishes and see if they'll send some your way!

Obrysii
2010-12-12, 10:12 PM
Christmas carols suddenly make sense!

Go work for a retail store, you'll learn to hate everything Christmas very soon.

Cealocanth
2010-12-12, 10:36 PM
It's bitter cold out here in Colorado, bit the snow hasn't come in weeks. That means that either California is absolutely coated in snow or Colorado will be soon. The lack of show doesn't mean's it warm though. We're looking at about 5 degrees (F) tonight.

cho_j
2010-12-12, 11:19 PM
Go work for a retail store, you'll learn to hate everything Christmas very soon.

Ahaha, I can only imagine.

Keld Denar
2010-12-13, 02:24 AM
I went snowboarding for the first time in 2 years on Saturday. It was a blast. I still remember how, although I got really nervous a couple of times. New board is amazing. When they told me that the griptec edges wouldn't ever catch, I was skeptical. I'm totally sold. I caught one bad edge all day, and I was pretty much just coasting really slowly near the chairlift. Several other times throughout the day, I felt like I should have caught one, but didn't. I dunno what it is, but holy crap it was magical.

I also realized I've been doing my Flow step-in bindings wrong...I've been ratcheting them down every time I step out of my board. Didn't realize there was the funky cable thing behind them I was supposed to flip down to step out. I'm trying to get my friend to go with me again on Tuesday so I can play around with it some more and do it the right way. We'll see. Anyone else have experience with Flow bindings?

Flickerdart
2010-12-13, 11:02 AM
Aw, that's terrible! If you'd like, I'll talk to the weather gods who apparently very kindly answered my wishes and see if they'll send some your way!
You overdid it, now it's -14.

Asta Kask
2010-12-13, 11:05 AM
-7 C (-20 F). Windy, with no clouds. Snow.

Meg
2010-12-13, 11:11 AM
Schools are closed here in Minnesota. We already had about a foot of snow and we got another 18 inches or so. In some places, the drifts are over four feet tall!

Form
2010-12-13, 12:00 PM
Aaaaand the snow's back. As well as ominous dark clouds. :smallannoyed:

blackfox
2010-12-13, 02:13 PM
It's snowing here. Ithaca, NY. It's snowing for reals now, too, we're supposed to get a foot or so over the next three? days.

I am and forever will be jealous of the 4 feet that Syracuse just got.

cho_j
2010-12-13, 03:48 PM
You overdid it, now it's -14.

Oops. Well, at least it's wintery.

Asta Kask
2010-12-13, 03:48 PM
It's snowing here. Ithaca, NY. It's snowing for reals now, too, we're supposed to get a foot or so over the next three? days.

I am and forever will be jealous of the 4 feet that Syracuse just got.

Well, the city is named for Ithaqua (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ithaqua) the windwalker. And he's probably mad that you spelled his name wrong, so what do you expect?

blackfox
2010-12-13, 04:05 PM
Well, the city is named for Ithaqua (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ithaqua) the windwalker. And he's probably mad that you spelled his name wrong, so what do you expect?More snow. :smallbiggrin:

thubby
2010-12-13, 05:30 PM
just got the first flurries down here. one the ONE day i had to work outside :smallannoyed:

THAC0
2010-12-14, 01:35 AM
-7 C (-20 F). Windy, with no clouds. Snow.

Math fail? Or typo? :smallconfused:

We finally have a decent coating of snow and now that it's ranging from 10 to -5 (F), I've finally broken out the winter coat.

littlekKID
2010-12-14, 02:13 AM
there's no snow in isreal, but looks like winter FIANLLY got here :smalltongue:, it's mostly gloomy and rainy 'round here.:smallbiggrin:

and now it's sunny again :smallfrown:, oh, well-easy come, easy go

KerfuffleMach2
2010-12-14, 08:55 AM
just got the first flurries down here. one the ONE day i had to work outside :smallannoyed:

Dude...I work outside about five days a week. I wish I worked outside only once a week.

Finally got some good snow the other day. And it was 7(F) this morning! Not counting the wind chill.

And this weekend is supposed to get up to the 30's. Good job, Michigan weather.

blackfox
2010-12-14, 09:26 AM

We finally have a decent coating of snow and now that it's ranging from 10 to -5 (F), I've finally broken out the winter coat.Both? -4F is -20C.

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-14, 10:05 AM
Cold and horribly windy here (22 F with 20 mph wind). Flurries but no real snow.

Dsurion
2010-12-14, 10:19 AM
We haven't had a lot of snow around here, and that actually makes me sad. I think snow can be very pretty when it first falls, and even afterward when it's frozen over, even if it's a pain to get through. This time last year my campus was reveling in the snowfall with residence hall-wide snow fights.

Asta Kask
2010-12-14, 11:38 AM

Both? What's the correct answer to -7C?

Ashtar
2010-12-14, 11:45 AM
-7 C is 20 F. (19.4 to be exact)
http://www.google.ch/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=-7+C+to+F

Asta Kask
2010-12-14, 11:47 AM
And since the entry data had only one significant number, I rounded it to -20.

Ashtar
2010-12-14, 11:50 AM
Yeah except it's positive 20 F, not negative 20 F.

-20 degrees Fahrenheit = -28.8888889 degrees Celsius
http://www.google.ch/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=-20+F+to+C

Asta Kask
2010-12-14, 12:01 PM
Then the problem is that I'm an idiot.

Ashtar
2010-12-14, 12:04 PM
PEBKAC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_error) is a usual problem for 6 PM posts. It happens to me too. Thank google and wolfram alpha for checking my maths.

Also It's been snowing like mad all day here and pretty cold. I am really dreading the walk home. Especially since I've got dress shoes on, was supposed to have a business meeting that fell through. :smallconfused: <- from the cold. Currently -5 C (23F) and projected to hit -10 C (14 F) tonight with freezing fogs. There's also an alert for the next few night where up to -15 C (5 F) is possible.

I'm happy I don't live in Switzerland "little siberia" La Brévine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Br%C3%A9vine) , they had -31.4 C (-24.5 F) the other day and are now around -9 C.

Jack Squat
2010-12-16, 07:21 AM
Last night we had freezing rain here in Knoxville. Power's obviously not out, but it's built up to an inch thick in places.

Going to work's going to be fun...

wxdruid
2010-12-16, 10:35 AM
Not nearly that much ice here, but enough to cover my driveway in ice. I'm glad I put the car in the garage.

No school for catlover two days this week. Monday - no school because of snow, and it was a wimpy amount of snow, barely worthy of the name and certainly not a reason to close school (at least in my opinion). Today - freezing precip all over, just enough to make it dangerous to go out. So, home we'll stay.

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-16, 10:41 AM
Oh look, it's snowing. And according to the internet, we are to get an inch or two of accumulation. Doesn't look like it's sticking though.

Starbuck_II
2010-12-16, 11:59 AM
Virginia is getting a lovely dusting. Very winter wonderland like.

Eldan
2010-12-17, 10:17 AM
Half a meter (about 2 feet) of snow overnight. Luckily, I can work from home. Watching all my neighbours trying to dig out their cars at 7 in the morning was fun.

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-17, 10:21 AM
Noooo, I have to shovel the driveway! At least it's only 3 inches and not 4 feet.

ForzaFiori
2010-12-17, 11:07 AM
The closest thing we've had to winter weather yet is some ice on the roads yesterday. Caused a bunch of wrecks (South Carolina is NOT prepared for winter weather of any sort). We were supposed to get flurries, but it didn't precipitate. It won't get cold enough for real winter weather until... mid-January and February. We'll probably get our 2 inches of snow, 1 inch at time, and each time it'll be gone in a day or so. We're too far south for real good winter weather. Just hail and ice here.

Totally Guy
2010-12-17, 11:23 AM
Had to go through some online weather archives today. It's showing that this December is the worst December we've had in the last 10 years. That means we can try to ask our client to extend the deadline to complete our construction project by a couple of weeks.

Miklus
2010-12-17, 11:28 AM
It's been snowing on-off for almost a month already here in Denmark. Sometimes the temperature sneaks above freezing in the mid-day, but it quickly freezes over again. You know, just to make the roads into a deathtrap.

You would think that people would have learned to drive in winter weather by now, but no. I saw some nut going 140km/h on the motorway today. I'm not surprised to read in the newspaper that there was a 50-car pileup. Nine people injured.

Allow me to lecture you all a bit on winter driving:

1) Put on winter tires already! The car does not matter, it is only a lump of metal with a mass as far as physics are concerned. Tires are everything!

2) It is impossible to tell how slippery it is just from temperature or looks. Do a test brake from 50km/h just to see how long you skid. That is the absolut minimum distance you need to keep.

3) Drive slow! Don't give a damn about the people behind you who wants to go faster.

Kobold-Bard
2010-12-18, 07:32 AM
Stopped snowing in York at the start of the week, it's been warming up and is actually sunny and warm today.

So of course the day I'm leaving to go to Liverpool they get 9 inches of snow and all the buses are cancelled so I get to stand in the freezing cold, soaking wet all over again, locked in the house because going outside in this weather would likely kill my girlfirend.

I ****ing hate snow.

Heliomance
2010-12-18, 08:23 AM
-6 degrees (Celsius) and snow. The cat is most upset - how is he supposed to patrol his territory with all this... white (disgust)... wet (disgust) everywhere?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuf61OjvoPQ

Snares
2010-12-18, 12:13 PM
Well East London had ridiculously heavy snow today for about an hour or two around midday, and it's resulted in the deepest covering of snow 'round here since I was very young. We've certainly never had this much snow in December in my lifetime, we're normally snow-free until about January.

Everything looks very pretty. :smallcool:

Asta Kask
2010-12-19, 10:42 AM
Not too cold (-8 C; 18 F), but they expect 8 inches of snow tonight.

Tricycle_Knight
2010-12-19, 10:46 AM
It's getting there in my neck of the woods (-6 C, 21 F), but we expect snow tonight as well. Checking the week forecast, it appears we may actually be having a white Christmas this year. :smallbiggrin:

Spiryt
2010-12-20, 01:34 AM
My god, Notos, why???

Wind is blowing from the south, at least 7 at Beufort, I think, as even my dog has problem running against it...

Miklus
2010-12-21, 02:00 PM
According to the newspaper, it was -21,5C (-7F) this Tuesday morning...

That's the coldest this year...So far!

KenderWizard
2010-12-21, 05:56 PM
Things are crazy here in Ireland. With accumulations of almost ten whole centimetres in places, nothing is working except the trains, which have delays of about half an hour, on average. But are at least running. The buses gave up this evening, the airport closed at lunchtime and never reopened.

Yesterday, I went to visit my grandparents, maybe 45 minutes away on a normal day. There was a light dusting on my way out, and I was only there for about an hour, so although the snow was quite heavy falling, you can imagine there wasn't actually that much snow. I'd say there was maybe 4 cm where it was able to accumulate. I left before 5pm, and went to the bus stop. The cars were moving slower than walking speed, but I couldn't walk because it was too far and I was worried I'd get lost. Also, my phone ran out of batteries.

It took 40 minutes for the bus to arrive, and once we were on the bus, it took it an hour to excruciatingly crawl up a slight incline maybe a kilometre long.

We had just got to the city proper when the bus broke down completely, ironically due to overheating. (I know how that happens, it just seems so ridiculous to me!). So I had to walk the rest of the way.

Altogether, it took me 4 hours to get back to my apartment! I was so hungry...

Miklus
2010-12-22, 05:10 AM
Don't get me started on busses and snow...Let's just say I know exactly how it feels freezing your cheeks off while waiting for a bus that never comes.

Anyway, -23C (-9F) this beautiful Wednesday morning. Another record for this year.

Eldan
2010-12-22, 05:47 AM
Busses seem used to the snow here. It snowed 50cm and I haven't seen any of them being more than five minutes late...

Anyway, our snow lasted only for a handful of days. It's mostly gone now.

AslanCross
2010-12-23, 08:14 AM
I've always wanted a snowy Christmas season, but I guess living in the tropics has its perks. All we get is a cool breeze at night and dew on the grass early in the morning. Of course, once February is done it gets horribly hot and dry.

KenderWizard
2010-12-23, 09:29 AM
Our pathetic few inches of snow has cancelled my Christmas. :smallfrown: We were supposed to all go to my aunt's house for Christmas, but my grandparents don't want to travel, even across town, and those of us who are further out mightn't be able to make it, so we've postponed the dinner. But it won't be Christmas!

Miklus
2010-12-23, 12:14 PM
It's been snowing all day non-stop. Both beautiful and annoying at the same time. I was just out for a walk. It's cold, windy and slippery!

http://i56.tinypic.com/317jz3n.jpg

drakir_nosslin
2010-12-23, 12:24 PM
I woke up this morning and discovered that it was a nice -34 Co outside. Nice.

Asta Kask
2010-12-23, 12:38 PM
Time to get a nice winter bath!

drakir_nosslin
2010-12-23, 01:47 PM
Time to get a nice winter bath!

Nice! Sauna afterwards I presume?

Alarra
2010-12-24, 12:48 PM
Not that much snow, but it's a skating rink outside. We parked behind our restaurant, I got out, barely managed to not fall on my butt before I grabbed onto a dumpster. My mom took her foot off the brake to get out and the van slid 2 feet. It's craaaaazy.

Meg
2010-12-24, 02:50 PM
We already had about three feet here in Minnesota, and we got another 3 or 4 inches today. I have shoveled more in the past two weeks than I did in the past two years.

jpreem
2010-12-25, 09:19 AM
About 50 cm of snow came down at the noght between 24th and 25th. Spent the morning showeling. Luckily people here seem to like a litte bit of physical work.
It's good that the people here have holidays so nothing stops them form showeling :smallbiggrin:. as i took a stroll through the town every street and yard was full of people with snowshowels, and the town was almost getting into a working order.
Good way to work on those pork/ham/goose/sauerkraut/black-pudding (aka the blood sausage)/beer calories from last night:smallcool:

Asta Kask
2010-12-25, 09:30 AM
Nice! Sauna afterwards I presume?

Sure thing! However, I have Finnish ancestors - be warned.

KenderWizard
2010-12-26, 09:11 AM
Back to a much more normal wet-and-windy here!

Murska
2010-12-26, 09:22 AM
Finland. We've had snow for a few months here, but this morning there was this beautiful unbroken smooth carpet of snow over everything outside. I don't know how much exactly there is, but it's somewhere between one and two meters. Okay, official records state a bit under one meter. I got fooled by the fact that snow from all the roadways is blown to the side in a wide enough arc to not pile up but to leave a much thicker layer.

Sadly, no matter the amount of cold or snow nothing ever closes in Finland, including schools. But at least it's holidays, and it's a beautiful white Christmas. :smallsmile:

Dr.Epic
2010-12-26, 04:01 PM
It's snowing here too. It's really coming down. I'm about to go outside and start shoveling.

Zanaril
2010-12-26, 07:55 PM
Today I found out that walking around in a tee-shirt in sub-zero temperatures is enjoyable. People stare. It's amusing. :smalltongue:

I also rolled around in the snow a bit. My family think I'm mad.